Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Have had my Dodocase for over a month now and my iPad lives in it. I love this case, but all four corner pads had to be replaced in a matter of a couple of weeks, and now, one week later, one of the replacement pads is already peeling away...and I followed the replacement procedure to the letter...even waiting a full day to ensure that the bamboo had sufficienty dried before reapplying the new corners.
As much as I applaude Dodocase for their innovative, original design, I am really very disappointed in the way they are handling this situation (it took weeks to get new corners...no doubt they are in high demand). I am stumped as to why it is taking so long to remedy the corners issue, while other manufacturers such as Portenzo, have got it right the first time. Spending this much money on a case, and then having to replace corners constantly, is unacceptable. I can only hope that when, and if, Dodocase finally resolves the corner problem, that they will compensate the early adopters of their product in some way. In the meantime, I am keeping my eye on Portenzo for my next purchase- this corners issue is way old at this point.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Try using a tiny drop of superglue on the corner under the rubber pad. For me, it held down the corner with no problem and the issue hasn't come back since.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Have had my Dodocase for over a month now and my iPad lives in it. I love this case, but all four corner pads had to be replaced in a matter of a couple of weeks, and now, one week later, one of the replacement pads is already peeling away...and I followed the replacement procedure to the letter...even waiting a full day to ensure that the bamboo had sufficienty dried before reapplying the new corners.
As much as I applaude Dodocase for their innovative, original design, I am really very disappointed in the way they are handling this situation (it took weeks to get new corners...no doubt they are in high demand). I am stumped as to why it is taking so long to remedy the corners issue, while other manufacturers such as Portenzo, have got it right the first time. Spending this much money on a case, and then having to replace corners constantly, is unacceptable. I can only hope that when, and if, Dodocase finally resolves the corner problem, that they will compensate the early adopters of their product in some way. In the meantime, I am keeping my eye on Portenzo for my next purchase- this corners issue is way old at this point.

And that is why the traffic on this thread crashed to a halt.

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
And that is why the traffic on this thread crashed to a halt.
Or it could also be because orders are shipping pretty quickly, so you don't have people waiting in anticipation for a month or two and needing to chat about it. Reading back, a heck of a lot of posts have more to do with the anticipation and excitement from waiting so long than product discussions.

I had the issue with my corners, but a dab of glue fixed it, and either way I know I'm happy with the purchase. *shrug*

undercompensate

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
My friend placed an order for the Portenzo today. I'll let you know how it is once it comes in.

Hopefully it'll work with a Lucky Labs Teksure back + PS Anti-glare as well :)

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
The reviews on the web are uniformly positive, so I took a punt and ordered the Portenzo. :)

mechanopony

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
A friend of mine has a Dodo and I really like the look, but it hasn't worn well over time. The bamboo cracked and he's almost out of replacement pads for the corners. It's nice that there are new colors, but for me the $65 is too much of a risk. Both Portenzo and Treegloo have good comments, but I decided to try out a Treegloo - the price, options and preview thing are what got me.

GeekyTiki

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
I carry mine everyday. Maybe I am not super gentle with it, but not really rough either. Well the binding is starting to crack on the seams. Caveat Emptor

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
The Portenzos look to be a better bet - anyone tried one yet?

My friend placed an order for the Portenzo today. I'll let you know how it is once it comes in.

Hopefully it'll work with a Lucky Labs Teksure back + PS Anti-glare as well :)

Portenzo just shipped my case today. Should hopefull have it by Monday or Tuesday of next week. I'll post pictures and give a brief review.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Has anyone had problems where the case spontaneously warps? I've had mine blue dodocase for a month and both sides are starting to curve a lot and peel back from the bamboo frame. I never even take the thing outside so it isn't like I dropped or got it wet.
Thanks!

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
Has anyone had problems where the case spontaneously warps? I've had mine blue dodocase for a month and both sides are starting to curve a lot and peel back from the bamboo frame. I never even take the thing outside so it isn't like I dropped or got it wet.
Thanks!

YES. DODOcase warps, cracks, wears on rubber, peels and makes you go DODO. It is horrible. It has a countless many quality issues... Why are people keep buying DODO despite the issues clearly presented by video reviews? They don't really care about improving their products. What keeps DODOcase going is iPad hype. Greedy... They now offer colors at higher prices. Try similar cases from other manufacturers.

HazChem

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
I've had my Dodocase for 3 months now. I've taken it with me on planes many times, carried it in my backpack, generally used every day. I'm happy to report that I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms many people here have mentioned. The only slight complaint is the corner pads but Dodo sent me the new pads. I've yet to feel that I need to replace the pads but its good to know I'm set for when it happens.

I feel for those of you who haven't had the great experience that I have had. It's a great alternative to the Apple case which sits in my room unused. I love how i can carry my iPad without advertising that it's an iPad.

Overall, I've been very pleased with my purchase and would not hesitate to recommend it.

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks!

Sorry you had an issue with your case. As many in this forum can attest, we take care of our customers. I hope by now you've sent an email to our customer support team at thenest@dodocase.com. DODOcase, like our competitors, uses bamboo in the construction of the case. Bamboo, like all other woods, is effected by climate conditions and use conditions. I'd like to have our team take a look at your case so please do email us with the details and pictures if possible. Despite what some others have said, from day 1 we've been responsive to our customers AND have made iterative improvements in the product. We look forward to helping you out.

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
DODOcase product evolution

YES. DODOcase warps, cracks, wears on rubber, peels and makes you go DODO. It is horrible. It has a countless many quality issues... Why are people keep buying DODO despite the issues clearly presented by video reviews? They don't really care about improving their products. What keeps DODOcase going is iPad hype. Greedy... They now offer colors at higher prices. Try similar cases from other manufacturers.

Hi PacMookBro - not sure if you have been a customer of ours or not, but I did want to correct some inaccuracies in your statement. We care quite a bit about improving the quality of our product and have iterated on the design and materials in many ways since we launched. Close inspection of the product evolution would lead you to see several things. First, we moved from a 3 ply bamboo to solid core bamboo. This move created a stronger tray less prone to environmental warping as the tray now had strength in directions the original did not. We've also moved from an EVA foam corner pad to a rubber corner pad creating a corner pad with a longer life. The corners are an area that we continue to work on improving. Finally we moved to a 3M adhesive from a hot glue for adhering the tray to the exterior cover. We made this move for both environmental and performance reasons. Finally, regarding your comments about our pricing, we purchase the classic DODOcase Red fabric in larger quantities giving us a discount which we pass along to the customer. The new color cloth is purchase in significantly less quantity hence the higher cost. I view that as transparency, not greed.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

DrIgg

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
6 months in and DODOcase still fantastic

I posted to this thread early on when I was eagerly awaiting my DODOcase. I have seen the positive and negative reviews and thought I would weigh in with my experience with it since June (a real review from a real owner). It is the only case that my iPad has lived in since I bought it. Well, there was a brief encounter with a Belkin Grip-view in a hotel in San Francisco, but it went back to the Apple store and we don't talk about that experience much any more.

I carry the iPad almost daily in a satchel and it gets moderate use at work and at home. The DODOcase has performed almost flawlessly. The iPad fit like a glove from day one and still does. No warping, cracking, tearing, separating, or other bad behaviors. The foam corner pads have lifted a little at the corners from day 2, but this was addressed quickly with 8 new corner pads being shipped out. However, I haven't installed them yet since the iPad fits so well now and I am saving them for replacements . There is a bit of wear on the spine corners, but it looks like a well-loved book. I keep thinking that I might get another case one day just for a change (I have at least three for my iPhone 4 already), but I like the DODOcase too much to change right now. I'll post photos if anyone is interested.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007

Wow - I've had none of those issues with my DODOcase. I use it constantly and other than the rubber corner pieces peeling (a 10 sec fix with a drop of super glue) I've seen no issues whatsoever. Additionally, a friend to who I recommended the DODOcase is also using his on a daily basis and also loves it. I'm not quite sure where your comments are coming from...

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
Wow - I've had none of those issues with my DODOcase. I use it constantly and other than the rubber corner pieces peeling (a 10 sec fix with a drop of super glue) I've seen no issues whatsoever. Additionally, a friend to who I recommended the DODOcase is also using his on a daily basis and also loves it. I'm not quite sure where your comments are coming from...

Maybe we were unlucky but we had those issues on mine and my co-workers'... So we got rid of them junk... Sigh... :(

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
I really wanted the DODO, I fell in love with this thing. Like the girl in high school. It was really sick. Unfortunately that girl from high school has some nasty rumors about her, so I decided to go for the less lustful, Portenzo. Sad that its not a DODO, but excited that its the same style almost exactly, built by hand, quicker shipping, cheaper, and apparently all the sex that the DODO has minus the issues plaguing it. Should be delivered by Wednesday

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
I really wanted the DODO, I fell in love with this thing. Like the girl in high school. It was really sick. Unfortunately that girl from high school has some nasty rumors about her, so I decided to go for the less lustful, Portenzo. Sad that its not a DODO, but excited that its the same style almost exactly, built by hand, quicker shipping, cheaper, and apparently all the sex that the DODO has minus the issues plaguing it. Should be delivered by Wednesday

LOL, exactly... For me there is no reason not to try Portenzo after DODO's let down... For now I am away from folio type cases though...

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Dodo, Portenzo

Have bought and used both - my lengthy take on them is here:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/topic.php?uid=123071037743833&topic=81

The relentless corner pad problem led me away from the Dodo - since Dodo has never endorsed the superglue fix, I assume they feel it is a questionable solution - when the rubber pads wear out, will the superglue come off cleanly? Or will it damage the bamboo?

In any case, the Portenzo corner system does not seem to require customer repair, and that's good.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Had my Dodocase for 4+ months now. My iPad is in it 24/7. Have taken it just about everywhere in my bag. I had to add a bit of glue to 2 of the foam pieces that came loose, but no real biggy. The binding is flimsy now around the spine, but I guess that was to expected with folding it back a lot. Good thing is it hasn't torn or shown any signs it's going to. Overall I'm still quite happy with it. iPad is still snug inside it, and haven't had any warping.

Not sure it will survive a full year, but overall, good purchase for me for what I've gotten out of it so far. It's been like carrying around a hardcover book in my bag. And opening it up or sitting it on a table like a book is great. Inconspicuous and pretty solid. Hopefully newer revisions of the case make it more sturdy for the long run as I might end up picking up another in a few months.

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
Had my Dodocase for 4+ months now. My iPad is in it 24/7. Have taken it just about everywhere in my bag. I had to add a bit of glue to 2 of the foam pieces that came loose, but no real biggy. The binding is flimsy now around the spine, but I guess that was to expected with folding it back a lot. Good thing is it hasn't torn or shown any signs it's going to. Overall I'm still quite happy with it. iPad is still snug inside it, and haven't had any warping.

Not sure it will survive a full year, but overall, good purchase for me for what I've gotten out of it so far. It's been like carrying around a hardcover book in my bag. And opening it up or sitting it on a table like a book is great. Inconspicuous and pretty solid. Hopefully newer revisions of the case make it more sturdy for the long run as I might end up picking up another in a few months.

Good thing I got rid of DODO before it starts wearing out. Great looking case but it does not last and has some quality issues...

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Portenzo have raised quality expectations in this segment. Which is good news for punters, as it means their competitors — including Dodo — will have to raise their game to keep up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.