Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Feature wise, iOS8 basically caught up to WP8.1. It's still behind KitKat.

As a comprehensive OS though, it's probably around the same as Android, and just behind 8.1.

Windows Phone 8.1 didn't add ANY features that weren't already accessible to iOS and Android users. AKA Cortana, Action Center... (those are the only two i can think off)

----------

I agree with everything you said, but google does build their own hardware? It's called the Motorola division and Nexus? Ok it's not 'google' per say but its optimised for Android explicitly

Motorola was sold to Lenovo and the Nexus line is outsourced.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Windows Phone 8.1 didn't add ANY features that weren't already accessible to iOS and Android users. AKA Cortana, Action Center... (those are the only two i can think off)

----------

Motorola was sold to Lenovo and the Nexus line is outsourced.

Nexus is Google designed. Not much different then the stamp on Apple products "Designed in a California, built in China."

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I think many on here fail to grasp the Apple way. Die hard Android fans seem to always use the "we had it first" axiom.

Apple is laser focused on two guiding principles:
1. User security/privacy
2. User experience

Does Apple always get this right...no, but they try like hell.

3rd party keyboards is a perfect example. Android has had this for years. However, Android users are subjected to key loggers and other malicious attacks. Whereas Apple has taken the time to ensure safeguards are established before opening up this part of iOS...end result...protect its user base. As soon as Apple announced support for 3rd party keyboards, Android users started throwing spears saying....we had that for years...without taking into account Apple ensuring its users were safeguarded against the very privacy issues those spear throwers are subjected to.

The axiom Android is flexible and Apple is secure is now shifting. Android is flexible and Apple is flexible AND secure.

Apple will never be as open as Android. I'm not bashing the Android platform. If others like the openness of it...great. Others (me included) don't mind being locked into an ecosystem without the extreme openness so long as we have a relatively secure platform. Like others on here have said repeatedly, I believe competition breeds innovation. But don't chuck spears without realizing the how & why first.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
IOS 8 knocks out the Android lure for Apple fans who have recently left Apple for Android but it won't affect people who have no interest in Apple products. It'll probably bring me back to the iPhone but I may wait until iOS 8 jailbreak is released to get a bit more. So far I'm satisfied with my HTC One M8.

I would think what you said is in fact fairly close to the way people think. The last thing I want is more electronic clutter on my iphone and I'm very happy that with the iphone and I'm content with not customizing it continually.

That is not to say there aren't things I wish apple would address, but one takes the good with the bad.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

As a comprehensive OS though, it's probably around the same as Android, and just behind 8.1.

Lol wut? WP8.1 is catching up to iOS 7 with action centre and catching up to iOS 5 with Cortana. iOS 4 with the closable multitasking

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Nexus is Google designed. Not much different then the stamp on Apple products "Designed in a California, built in China."

So when it says LG Nexus 5, it's not LG, it's Google? Samsungs makes iPhone components but it's not Apple Samsung iPhone. I'm curious to know how this whole Nexus line works but nah, I'll look it up later.

nestafaria

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
So when it says LG Nexus 5, it's not LG, it's Google? Samsungs makes iPhone components but it's not Apple Samsung iPhone. I'm curious to know how this whole Nexus line works but nah, I'll look it up later.

LG manufactures the phone to Google's spec. LG has zero input in the design.

The nexus line is being replaced with Android Silver early next year. It's going to fix the fragmentation and carrier bloatware issues and get pure android on 5 flagship phones. As well as having a store within a store, like the Samsung experience. At least so it is rumored.....

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
iOS 8 for sure won't "knock out" Android, but I do think it might thwart what was a possibly coming weakening of the iPhone's constant upward curve. I for one am now considering buying an iPhone again, for the first time since switching over to Android one year ago, and I'm sure I'm not alone. With the 3rd party keyboard option being the main reason, along with hopes for more freedom in sharing between apps.

Considering - but I'm not sure yet. It might be that I'm still too frustrated by all web links opening in Safari, by not being able to quickly attach any two files I want to an outgoing e-mail, by not being able to set up any one-click settings toggles I want right on the home screen, etc.

But in any case, iOS 8 is a step in the right direction for Apple, and one that will make a healthy prod towards Google to keep improving. (And BTW I couldn't care less who invented what functions first, the only thing that counts is who will have the best versions of them when the time comes to choose a new device.)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Lol wut? WP8.1 is catching up to iOS 7 with action centre and catching up to iOS 5 with Cortana. iOS 4 with the closable multitasking

Yes, but then Cortana leapfrogged over Siri and even Google Now, and the action center is (although requested a lot) not really useful. I have live tiles that tell me as much information already.

Closable multitasking is a myth - even when an application was "open" it wasn't using any resources - it's been that way since WP7 - the only difference is now there's a fancy little X to remove it from the task manger UI.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Apple will never dominate the market simply because there will always be a cheap market. Selling 2-3 year old hardware at "reduced cost" doesn't cut it. Apple would need off contract phones ranging from $150-$900 to appease the entire market segment and that will never happen.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I think many on here fail to grasp the Apple way. Die hard Android fans seem to always use the "we had it first" axiom.

Apple is laser focused on two guiding principles:

1. User security/privacy

2. User experience

Does Apple always get this right...no, but they try like hell.

3rd party keyboards is a perfect example. Android has had this for years. However, Android users are subjected to key loggers and other malicious attacks. Whereas Apple has taken the time to ensure safeguards are established before opening up this part of iOS...end result...protect its user base. As soon as Apple announced support for 3rd party keyboards, Android users started throwing spears saying....we had that for years...without taking into account Apple ensuring its users were safeguarded against the very privacy issues those spear throwers are subjected to.

The axiom Android is flexible and Apple is secure is now shifting. Android is flexible and Apple is flexible AND secure.

Apple will never be as open as Android. I'm not bashing the Android platform. If others like the openness of it...great. Others (me included) don't mind being locked into an ecosystem without the extreme openness so long as we have a relatively secure platform. Like others on here have said repeatedly, I believe competition breeds innovation. But don't chuck spears without realizing the how & why first.

You have to give permission for 3rd party keyboards to have internet access just like in iOS 8. Well not just like it, with android you need to give the permission before it's even downloaded. Two different ways of doing the same thing.

iOS does appear to utilize the stock keyboard for password entry regardless of keyboard which is a step toward more security but against the user experience. Personally I won't mind that too much but some will and have already stated as much.

Regardless my point is your example is contradicting you points.

1. Security, Android is similar in regards to allowing the keyboard system access without your permission.

2. User experience, is faulted with various keyboards throughout the UI regardless of how much you want to use just one keyboard (assuming it's not stock).

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Either way, he's twisting statistics. Google play has over 40% of app revenue marketshare and is expected to surpass Apple's app store within a few years. You would never know that by his 9% of Android handsets are running kit kat bashing.

Cook talks. Google goes to market.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I think the real question is, will android performance ever be on par with iOS. You can put in a bajillion gimmicky features into a device. If it's not convenient to use or doesn't run smoothly. What's the point?

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014

To be honest in terms of out of the box phones, pure android and IOS 8 doesn't much in it, some things iOS has, pure android doesn't ( integrated out of the box face time, some of the new i message features, continuity, a proper personal assistant )

in face I have the nexus 5 and it's pretty bare in terms of features if I'm honest, One could say it's as "boring" as Ios. What sets android apart is the customisability which iOS will probably never have.

its also hard to compare iOS with android, because there are many different versions of android , so some phones have features that are not on pure android.

I have had the note 3 with touch whizz and the operating system running android is just a piece of bloat ware if I'm honest, I hated it and considering the hard ware at the time was meant to be the best, it's actual real life performance just wasn't up to scratch.

then I got the nexus 5 and it's every bit as smooth and silky and beautiful as iOS IMO.

however like many people who agree, it seems iOS has caught up with Android in terms of main Features, Surpassed in in some areas, and looks more beautiful than most forms of android ( Since there are many forms of android).

I think Ios8 is a massive step in the right direction, I would love them to include more customisability one day, Maybe realising a good API to change the look of the operating system slightly , without inflckting on performance.

But either way android will live on, and so will iOS.

----------

I think the real question is, will android performance ever be on par with iOS. You can put in a bajillion gimmicky features into a device. If it's not convenient to use or doesn't run smoothly. What's the point?

Pure android is already as smooth as iOS IMO, my girlfriend has a iPhone 5s, and in some cases it seems my nexus 5 is snappier , it's also buttery smooth.

The problem is people compare the performance of touch whizz etc when in reality all that says is samsung can't development software for sh**.

But pure android for me is beautiful , runs smoothly and like iOS, doesn't contain an actual lot of features.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Cook talks. Google goes to market.

I'm sorry are you under the impression that Google cares about Android? You may want to read up

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/technology/revenue-and-profit-rise-at-google-but-mobile-struggles-continue.html

"Google executives would prefer that people stop talking about mobile at all."

google-revenue-chart.jpg

Note: Google already is selling off the Mobility division to Lenovo.

It's only a matter of time before Android OS becomes vaporware as Google knows there is no money to be made with Android.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Yes, but then Cortana leapfrogged over Siri and even Google Now, and the action center is (although requested a lot) not really useful. I have live tiles that tell me as much information already.

Closable multitasking is a myth - even when an application was "open" it wasn't using any resources - it's been that way since WP7 - the only difference is now there's a fancy little X to remove it from the task manger UI.

Don't get me wrong at all, Cortana is amazing and you can go through a previous thread called "Cortana is amazing"

Hell I genuinely like the way WP works but there to me seems like a lack of Google services. Plus the way continuity works...

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
I'm pretty happy with iOS8. It shows that Apple is listening, and is starting to catch up with Android.

If Android sits still, Apple will be caught up by iOS 10.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm sorry are you under the impression that Google cares about Android? You may want to read up

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/technology/revenue-and-profit-rise-at-google-but-mobile-struggles-continue.html

It's only a matter of time before Android OS becomes vaporware as Google knows there is no money to be made with Android.
I hope to god Android never dies.

----------

I'm pretty happy with iOS8. It shows that Apple is listening, and is starting to catch up with Android.

If Android sits still, Apple will be caught up by iOS 10.
Won't happen. Unless Google stays hating Android.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I hope to god Android never dies..

Apple is 100% behind it's iOS development because it is a major component that drives their iOS device market.

Microsoft stands behind it's Mobile Windows OS because it also contributes to their revenue.

Google half-heartedly developed Android a few years ago and until today is not making much money from it despite the fact that it is pouring tons of money into it. It's only a matter of time before they pull the plug.

If I'm not mistaken till this day Google makes more money from iOS devices than it's own Android.

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Welcome to internet. There is no such thing called privacy in internet. Just look all the NSA leak and hacks... All companies uses our information for something, Apple is no exception.

There is a difference between your house getting robbed and you selling articles in your home for money... It is quite simple actually...

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Does Apple knock Out Android with iOS 8?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/t...-at-google-but-mobile-struggles-continue.html

As much as it pains me to read this post, it is sound. Google does have little money to gain from maintaining Android at its present rate as a direct competitor to iOS and Windows on the surface.

However, sometimes things go beyond simple dollars and cents on the front end. By ensuring Android runs on almost all types of devices, from $100-$900 they ensure people use their services including Maps, Drive etc.....
With Apple seeking out Bing for some of its services, and Windows using... well Bing, Google doesn't have much market share anymore outside of Android.
Lose Android and risk losing the mobile market unless you strike a huge deal with Apple to make Google its sole search provider.

In that respect I don't see Google dropping Android anytime soon. It's too large a pipeline to its other services.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I think apple will be Playing catch up To android for a Long time. Being that android is open the possibility for features has less limits.

Apple takes existing features and implements over time

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
You have to give permission for 3rd party keyboards to have internet access just like in iOS 8. Well not just like it, with android you need to give the permission before it's even downloaded. Two different ways of doing the same thing.

You are incorrect. In Android, the permission system in place is one of all or nothing. You either accept the privileges the app is asking for or you can't download or use the app. Want to download a specific picture editor, but don't want it having access to your location? Tough luck. Want to install that new game that just came out, but feel uncomfortable with the idea that it wants access to your contacts? Too bad.

The only way to refuse is to not download the app. Not so on iOS, where any permission can be granted or revoked at any time.

No doubt for 3rd party keyboards on iOS, it'll utilize the same fine-grained permission system iOS has in place which means you can customize what permissions an app can or cannot be granted. Meaning you can forbid the keyboard from having internet access, but still be able to use it.

(Oh and news flash: In 4.4.3, "internet access" isn't even listed as a permission anymore. It's basically granted by default for all apps requesting it with no way of even knowing which app is doing so.)

So no. It's not two ways of doing the same thing. Permissions in iOS have always been vastly superior and no doubt will remain so with 3rd party keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.