Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Nexus is Google designed. Not much different then the stamp on Apple products "Designed in a California, built in China."

Not entirely true. Depending on the actual Nexus product, it may be made by HTC, Asus,or Motorola. Google usually provides a general spec for the device, but the actual manufacturer finalizes it

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not entirely true. Depending on the actual Nexus product, it may be made by HTC, Asus,or Motorola. Google usually provides a general spec for the device, but the actual manufacturer finalizes it

What do you mean by "finalizes" it?

Google is pretty much providing the exact specs. I'm not talking Google Edition, I'm talking the Nexus line of devices.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think apple will be Playing catch up To android for a Long time. Being that android is open the possibility for features has less limits.

Apple takes existing features and implements over time

I think that's fairly evident given the features being added, such as the notification center but by and large the integration of iOS8 and OSX with continuity/handoff is a great new feature that no one has attempted on the scale of integration and polish that apple has undertaken.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You are incorrect. In Android, the permission system in place is one of all or nothing. You either accept the privileges the app is asking for or you can't download or use the app. Want to download a specific picture editor, but don't want it having access to your location? Tough luck. Want to install that new game that just came out, but feel uncomfortable with the idea that it wants access to your contacts? Too bad.

The only way to refuse is to not download the app. Not so on iOS, where any permission can be granted or revoked at any time.

No doubt for 3rd party keyboards on iOS, it'll utilize the same fine-grained permission system iOS has in place which means you can customize what permissions an app can or cannot be granted. Meaning you can forbid the keyboard from having internet access, but still be able to use it.

(Oh and news flash: In 4.4.3, "internet access" isn't even listed as a permission anymore. It's basically granted by default for all apps requesting it with no way of even knowing which app is doing so.)

So no. It's not two ways of doing the same thing. Permissions in iOS have always been vastly superior and no doubt will remain so with 3rd party keyboards.

That is some fair points. However do you trust an app or not? Why would you intentionally download an app, then not give it permission to something it ask for? I won't have an app that ask for permission to something I do not want to grant. It's poor security practice to keep program on any OS that you don't trust in all regards.

Example, a photo caption app. If it ask permission to photos for obvious reasons and you grant it permission to photos but then it ask permission to contacts and you deny it. Its very very poor security practice to keep the app at all. Generally people do this because its free or they are emotionally attached to the app and willing to risk it. I think we've all done it.

There are apps for Android that allow you to set individual permissions like "App Ops". Although its limited to certain versions of Android. If your rooted its very easy but thats a moot point.

And lets wait until a publicly released version of iOS manages internet permission before talking about how the competition does or doesn't anymore. Strange you bring up something new to Android as a "new flash" and conveniently leave out that iOS never did....

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
That is some fair points. However do you trust an app or not? Why would you intentionally download an app, then not give it permission to something it ask for? I won't have an app that ask for permission to something I do not want to grant. It's poor security practice to keep program on any OS that you don't trust in all regards.

Example, a photo caption app. If it ask permission to photos for obvious reasons and you grant it permission to photos but then it ask permission to contacts and you deny it. Its very very poor security practice to keep the app at all. Generally people do this because its free or they are emotionally attached to the app and willing to risk it. I think we've all done it.

There are apps for Android that allow you to set individual permissions like "App Ops". Although its limited to certain versions of Android. If your rooted its very easy but thats a moot point./QUOTE]

I disagree with a lot of your post. Just because I trust an app to access my photos doesn't mean I want them to access my contacts as well. They may use the contacts innocently, for tagging and sharing, but if I don't use that feature I don't really wan them getting access to what they don't need to know.

It's like my dad always told me, if someone asks you for information and they deserve to know it, give them exactly what they asked for and nothing more.

If I want to use an app to edit and share my photos, I don't need and or want it to access my contacts for something I have no desire to use.

Don't get started with AppOpps lol... Unless Google plans to fully bake that into the system, there's such a small base of people who actually know what it is and how to use it. The problem is that I believe the apps have to be modified to work without these permissions. In iOS if you deny permissions for something It has a path it takes because of that. With AppOpps if you deny permissions for something it just fails to work with no options to fix it or paths to take otherwise.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I disagree with a lot of your post. Just because I trust an app to access my photos doesn't mean I want them to access my contacts as well. They may use the contacts innocently, for tagging and sharing, but if I don't use that feature I don't really wan them getting access to what they don't need to know.

It's like my dad always told me, if someone asks you for information and they deserve to know it, give them exactly what they asked for and nothing more.

If I want to use an app to edit and share my photos, I don't need and or want it to access my contacts for something I have no desire to use.

Don't get started with AppOpps lol... Unless Google plans to fully bake that into the system, there's such a small base of people who actually know what it is and how to use it. The problem is that I believe the apps have to be modified to work without these permissions. In iOS if you deny permissions for something It has a path it takes because of that. With AppOpps if you deny permissions for something it just fails to work with no options to fix it or paths to take otherwise.

That's fair. I don't personally see the correlation between what your father taught you and this....if someone sketchy wants information (that IS what we are talking about about here) then I deny them ALL info. If I trust them I give them what they need and ask for. I don't trickle info on trusted people.

But I see your point. Maybe a better example would be an app you only want to use a portion of and not utilize other features.

App ops is relevant regardless of how many people know or use it. I could cherry pick features too but I assume we are referring to ourselves so that statistic is 100% of people (you and I) know what it is and how to use it.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

It's not just a question of trust. It's about giving the user direct control over what the app can do. For example, I may "trust" that this game isn't malicious but I still don't want to give it access to my contacts. For others, they may not mind giving access (whether it be for player matching or whatever) and will allow it. It's about giving the user the choice.

Again not necessary on iOS. Since you can deny that access to begin with, you're not compromising on security by installing the app. Plus, an app may request a permission for reasons not initially obvious to the user but for legitimate reasons anyway.

The useful thing in iOS is that requests for permissions only pop up the moment an app is attempting to use a feature requiring it. For example, I install a photo taker/editor. No permission is yet requested at this point. I load the camera and it pops up an alert asking if it can use my location. This immediately tells the user that "ah! here's why it needs this.". So for an app to request access to contacts, it needs to show why it needs it. If the alert were to pop up randomly (or at installation time such as on Android), that would be reason for concern as you have no idea why it needs it. But suppose you switched to a feature allowing the app to locate your friends who also use the same app (such as instagram, snapchat, etc.) and then such an alert pops up, you get a better idea of why it needs such access and can make a more informed decision about whether to grant it access or not.

And again, suppose you made a mistake and clicked "yes" in error to any of the permissions requested, one can easily go into settings and deny access at any point in time.

There are apps for Android that allow you to set individual permissions like "App Ops". Although its limited to certain versions of Android. If your rooted its very easy but thats a moot point.

Yes and the fact that Google removed that hidden function as soon as it was discovered speaks volumes.... I'm hoping Google will bring back this feature in Android at some point in the future, but I'm not holding my breath considering the permission system is regressing even further in 4.4.3.

And lets wait until a publicly released version of iOS manages internet permission before talking about how the competition does or doesn't anymore. Strange you bring up something new to Android as a "new flash" and conveniently leave out that iOS never did....

Well as of today, apps in iOS could not transfer any sensitive user data without user permission anyway (since all private info such as location, contacts, camera roll, etc. require permission for access as we talked about earlier) so internet access for apps in itself could not compromise user data. Of course with the advent of 3rd party keyboards now, adding an extra layer of security with "internet access" permissions would be necessary since the keystrokes themselves are now accessible by the app, even if the app is not given any other privileges.

But yeah, we should see how it's implemented. I sure hope this won't lead to all apps prompting for internet access as that'll be an alert prompt avalanche, considering that practically every app in the app store probably needs it. But if my hunch is correct, it'll be limited to 3rd party keyboards only since it would be the only type of app that can access sensitive info (keystrokes) without the need of other privileges.

Last edited:

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
iOS will never be able to knock out Android because there is, and always will be one huge difference between the two platforms: iOS is a closed platform where everything is enforced by Apple (no customization), while Android is an open platform whose users can do whatever they like with their devices.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
One size does not fit all, and I think choice and competition is good, without android would we have seen multitasking, the notification center, improvements in the notification center, etc etc.

The idea that "choice and competition is good" should go both ways. Do you say the same about Apple Maps? After Apple Maps came out, Google put their version in the App Store and it's way better than all the previous iOS versions. It took Apple kicking Google off to make Google finally implement those features. Do you say in that case that competition is good?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The idea that "choice and competition is good" should go both ways. Do you say the same about Apple Maps? After Apple Maps came out, Google put their version in the App Store and it's way better than all the previous iOS versions. It took Apple kicking Google off to make Google finally implement those features. Do you say in that case that competition is good?
Seems like a good example of that--Apple started competing with Google as far as maps go and Google ended up creating a better app than what was there before, making things better for the consumers.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Apple will never knock out Google because Apple will never open iOS up to the level of customization and control Android has.

Google will never knock out Apple because Android will never be closed off enough to offer the level of integration and unity iOS has.

Simple as that.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I'd like to know the experts take on this piece Does Apple knock Out Android with iOS 8?

Is iOS8 really give the tough call to Android Kitkat? What can we expect from the Apple?

Please update.

Thanks

No, not at all. Android is on a tonne of devices and will continue to sell because you can pick them up for peanuts, it's. Like PC vs Mac, loads of companies are running out **** devices with android on. I would rather compare manufacturers than the OS because Nokia, HTC and Samsung are really the rivals I look at as competitors with everything else being utter complete garbage crap.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Apple will never knock out Google because Apple will never open iOS up to the level of customization and control Android has.

Google will never knock out Apple because Android will never be closed off enough to offer the level of integration and unity iOS has.

Simple as that.

This is pretty much the crux of the "iOS vs Android" argument - customization and user control versus tight integration between devices and services.

nipunn

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2014
well in my opinion, technology evolves itself by inspiring from different technologies time to time. We all know that there are many things in the past which sometimes Apple took form Android and sometimes Android took from Apple.
So it is just inspiration according to me, and whether you believe it or not, it will keep happening from time to time, feature to feature and OS to OS.

But one thing that Apple will never do (well 3rd party keyboard is an exception) is tolet developers access its core OS to the limit that they can change core functions. It will always be locked. (I think it is the USP for Apple and they will never lose it)

In my opinion, the entry of 3rd party keyboards was because of the fact that Apple was already too late in inventing any new technology in this field (even Microsoft did show something), and they really felt shy in copying similar tech from its top rivals like Android/Windows.
So they eventually opened for 3rd party developers to help the biggest flaw in iOS (IMHO).

In my opinion, somewhere I am happy that Apple does not allow access to developers to too deep into the OS, this makes we are more safe than malware threats compared to Android.

I never feel Apple has knocked out Android with iOS 8, but I believe that Android is way ahead in productivity and utilization of the device you hold.

addisoncohen

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
yes ios 8 is far better then android kitkat ... there r lots of new features which kitkat cant compete.. like OS X Yosemite- such as phone calls, messages, data files and more.
Kitkat has same its google drive but it has some limitation:eek:

some more apps iCloud Drive, Intuitive Keyboard etc... in iphone
:apple: is going to knock Out Android :D

neo1

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
I am all for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6. Heck I am not using any of my 3 Android devices (including Korean lg g3) and using my 5s in the process of switching back to mainly Apple devices and syncing (just bought a MacBook Air) but to say it will knock out Android is delusional. As has been said. Android will lose some users (such as myself) but getting knocked out not a chance

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
yes ios 8 is far better then android kitkat ... there r lots of new features which kitkat cant compete.. like OS X Yosemite- such as phone calls, messages, data files and more.
Kitkat has same its google drive but it has some limitation:eek:

some more apps iCloud Drive, Intuitive Keyboard etc... in iphone
:apple: is going to knock Out Android :D

Your ability to write coherent sentences matches well your ability to make a coherent argument.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
In terms of innovation, I think that Android and iOS have always been neck and neck.

The thing about Android is that with every major release they cram A LOT into the update that's cool (Face unlock, BT Profiles, etc) but it's not a very "large" feature or something that's going to benefit just about every consumer.

On the contrary iOS releases contain much less "new features" than Android releases, but they're always features that are way more practical for the average consumer.

Most of Android's "innovation" isn't even Google, but rather what 3rd party developers have been able to do thanks to the (mostly) open platform. Most of these great Android features are Samsung features, or Motorola features, or HTC features, or just some guy's app that he made. Realistically, once you jailbreak an iPhone you can get all of those same features too.

----------

What do you mean by "finalizes" it?

Google is pretty much providing the exact specs. I'm not talking Google Edition, I'm talking the Nexus line of devices.

Nexus line isn't made in-house by google.

They've been made by HTC (Nexus One), Samsung (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 10), and LG (Nexus 4, Nexus 5), with ASUS making the Nexus 7 series.

As far as design, Google has the overall idea but you know that the OEM definitely has some say in the design process as well.

All Google does is provide general ideas and basic requirements - the OEM does the rest, then Google slaps their name on it.

That's why there's talk of the Nexus program ending and switching to just having Google certified devices (similar to the Google Play edition models).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.