Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
The keys are much closer in XPS 13/15 comparing to Air/Pro. Any experience to share? I will buy a laptop mainly for php programming and I will use it for many hours everyday.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you want something with a great keyboard, then consider a Lenovo thinkpad, imo, they have the best keyboard. I can't believe how good they are and the Lenovo Thinkpad Extreme (I forget what revision its on) offers great performance, and components for a very good price (Lenovo frequently offers deep discounts).

Its not as sexy as the XPS, or MBP, to be sure, but its what us under the hood that makes this a great machine

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
If you want something with a great keyboard, then consider a Lenovo thinkpad, imo, they have the best keyboard. I can't believe how good they are and the Lenovo Thinkpad Extreme (I forget what revision its on) offers great performance, and components for a very good price (Lenovo frequently offers deep discounts).

Its not as sexy as the XPS, or MBP, to be sure, but its what us under the hood that makes this a great machine

I have been using thinkpad for around ten years in a job so I want to try something new lol

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The Dell XPS 13 or even 15 best feature is all day typing, I love the feel, flow and space between the keys.
Hopefully they are some available now, there was a 1 month wait 2 weeks ago.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have been using thinkpad for around ten years in a job so I want to try something new lol
Fair enough, I can't speak about the keyboards of a dell, or even MBP. I've not really like Apple's keyboards but that's just a personal preference.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Fair enough, I can't speak about the keyboards of a dell, or even MBP. I've not really like Apple's keyboards but that's just a personal preference.
I only used basic models for the job, so I can buy expensive model for myself lol that may feel different. I agree ThinkPad has great keyboard for programming and no issue with Ubuntu Windows dual boot.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
The Dell XPS 13 or even 15 best feature is all day typing, I love the feel, flow and space between the keys.
Hopefully they are some available now, there was a 1 month wait 2 weeks ago.

I will go to a Dell shop to try the keyboard

Reactions: MBAir2010

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
I like writing code with my MacBook Pro, despite having used a mechanical keyboard at my desktop for many years.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I have a bunch of Dell XPS and other Dell machines and to me the keyboard is... "meh". Just for the keyboards between Dell an Lenovo, I'd go Lenovo any day. But this is a personal preference. Best to try it first.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
The keys are much closer in XPS 13/15 comparing to Air/Pro. Any experience to share? I will buy a laptop mainly for php programming and I will use it for many hours everyday.
No. The better keyboard than apples current one and old (2012-2015) is think pad and thats kind of it
Dells are not so great, especially for programming

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I had (in 2018-2019) some HP laptops in my office and everyone from my staff cried about the heat and bios/driver issues
Maybe today HP are better but.. when you have the upcoming Mbp at wwdc (probably) or lenovo ..why risk the time?
You could try some Hp until wwdc and return them if you dont like them

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I had (in 2018-2019) some HP laptops in my office and everyone from my staff cried about the heat and bios/driver issues
Maybe today HP are better but.. when you have the upcoming Mbp at wwdc (probably) or lenovo ..why risk the time?
You could try some Hp until wwdc and return them if you dont like them

People have difficult time installing Ubuntu in HP notebook too.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
People have difficult time installing Ubuntu in HP notebook too.
That too...
Can you wait until WWDC? if you want to try something new like 14"/16" mbp (since i understand you are currently using Lenovo thinkpad now)
Or, if you want windows , and not lenovo, i would go with Dell

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
That too...
Can you wait until WWDC? if you want to try something new like 14"/16" mbp (since i understand you are currently using Lenovo thinkpad now)
Or, if you want windows , and not lenovo, i would go with Dell

I will wait for WWDC, just weeks away

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

I have used some ThinkPads and Dell Latitudes at work. Both have great keyboards, and, surprisingly, I tend to prefer the Dell Latitude. Somehow I prefer typing on the Dell Latitude, I feel it has a solid keyboard.

I had a Dell XPS 9550 (the 15.6-inch model with a 6th gen Intel processor, released a while ago). The keyboard was decent, OK, but far from being great. And the space bar registered some double taps, which I found out to be a recurring problem on this model (hopefully Dell has fixed it in the later models).

I currently have an LG Gram 14Z980 and I think the keyboard is fine (but not great). The Microsoft Surface Laptop seems to have a good keyboard as well.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
If you're open to other suggestions outside the Apple world. Razer is ok as well, if anything I find the trackpad a little problematic. Specifically got those for the GPUs in it (got a RTX 5000 in mine), but using it docked for most of the time due to no traveling right now.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
From a pure KB perspective ThinkPad or Microsoft can't be beaten for most

Most MS screens are 3:2 aspect ratio and have > 200 PPI for super sharp text/fonts :)

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If you're open to other suggestions outside the Apple world. Razer is ok as well, if anything I find the trackpad a little problematic. Specifically got those for the GPUs in it (got a RTX 5000 in mine), but using it docked for most of the time due to no traveling right now.
Ditto Studio Mercury white version, but I have MS BT KB for docked mode :)

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Macbooks were great until the butterfly garbage, they never fixed the feel only the fact that crumbs could not block the key.
If only... I found the butterfly keyboards to be the best keyboards I've used so far. Better than any if my mechanicals. I've never had a problem with failing keys on my personal devices, but I've always kept them very clean. The iteration after butterfly (starting late 2019 if I remember correctly) doesn't feel like butterfly at all. It's ok for mobile use, but whenever possible I use a mechanical KB (that's true for Dell and Lenovo as well). I have a mix of Alps, MX blue, brown, red, Kailh blue, brown, red. Used to have Gateron Browns as well. I have my hopes up for Choc whites now, but I'm still waiting for some custom keycaps I've ordered back in February. Expect them to arrive next month, all will be used in a split layout with Kyria PCB. If the whites don't work for me, then pales next.

• Love
Reactions: RedTheReader

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
my son has a 2016 macbook air. Keyboard is nice. I tried the 2019 macbook keyboard at best buy and it's no where as good as my cheap dell keyboard. It's garbage. add in the keys screwing up constantly with it. NO THANKS.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
My current target is cheapest version of ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen3 with university alumni discounted offer

Reactions: Steve Adams

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
my son has a 2016 macbook air. Keyboard is nice. I tried the 2019 macbook keyboard at best buy and it's no where as good as my cheap dell keyboard. It's garbage. add in the keys screwing up constantly with it. NO THANKS.
The 2019 MacBooks had butterfly keys yet we are in 2021 with the Magic Keyboard.

You do know that Apple does not sell the butterfly keyboard anymore, why do keep on going back to pre-Magic Keyboard MacBooks?

Almost looks to me you want to slander the MacBook even though they don't even offer the butterfly keyboard anymore in any of their MacBook line.

Now if Apple still sold the butterfly keyboard, **** on them as much as you want. I just don't get why looking at past MacBooks keyboards failures answers the OP question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.