Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I disagree, I have seen real world tests where the i7 11th gen ultrabook cpus get beaten by the M1 in video editing and encoding, Super Resolution in PhotoShop, HDR photo editing in Photoshop, Lightroom photo editing and WAY smoother and faster in Davinchi resolve for video editing.

In fact in the Super Resolution photoshop test the M1 finished in 13 SECONDS, while the i7 1165G7 took 10 MINUTES.
and of course the battery life after these real world tests show at M1 at 62% and the Huawei i7 at 15%.

The M1 has a 49.9wh battery
The i7 Huawei has a 56wh battery
Theres a mistake in the video where the battery wh size info is the other way round.

MateBook X Pro vs M1 MacBook Air - M1 Killer from China? - YouTube

EDIT:

I compared intel i7 ultrabook cpus because the M1 is made for ultrabooks like the i7 1165G7.

The i7 11th H series will be faster than the M1 in 99% of the real world scenarios until the M1X or more core M1 version comes out.
Something wrong, must be an apple centric tester. I have seen the exact opposite from a person who owns both platforms. He has a 60k mac pro, a puget systems system worth 35k, a new xps with the i7 chipset and a mbp with m1. In creative work and video ripping and editing the M1 was by far the slowest of all the systems.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Something wrong, must be an apple centric tester. I have seen the exact opposite from a person who owns both platforms. He has a 60k mac pro, a puget systems system worth 35k, a new xps with the i7 chipset and a mbp with m1. In creative work and video ripping and editing the M1 was by far the slowest of all the systems.
idk man, I got more videos to show you that are from smaller youtubers who more honest than the big ones.
In the video below playback and scrubbing is much smoother on the M1.

The M1 also exported the 4k video faster than the RYZEN 7 3700X. Yes the Ryzen PC had Hardware acceleration turned on as well.
Ryzen took 2:34min
M1 took 1:15min.

So it took half the time on M1 to export.
I don't believe your claims when I got video evidence like this on YouTube from many people.

M1 MacBook Pro (Base Model) vs. CUSTOM RYZEN 7 3700x PC - DaVinci Resolve 17 4K Performance - YouTube

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
idk man, I got more videos to show you that are from smaller youtubers who more honest than the big ones.

The M1 also exported the 4k video faster than the RYZEN 7 3700X. Yes the Ryzen PC had Hardware acceleration turned on as well.

I don't believe your claims when I got video evidence like this on YouTube from many people.

M1 MacBook Pro (Base Model) vs. CUSTOM RYZEN 7 3700x PC - DaVinci Resolve 17 4K Performance - YouTube
IDK, The one I watched was from a person who does editing for a living and owns both platforms. He's very unbiased. He stated that while the optimized software for M1 did miles better than the first round that came out, it still trailed behind the intel i7.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
IDK, The one I watched was from a person who does editing for a living and owns both platforms. He's very unbiased. He stated that while the optimized software for M1 did miles better than the first round that came out, it still trailed behind the intel i7.
Well there is a considerable difference to what I am seeing online in real world testing regarding the M1 vs i7 in video editing and creative workflows and so far from what I am seen M1 is better than the i7 11th G series processors.

Still though the i7 is great but AMD offers better value and more cores and AMD's laptop CPUs consume less power than Intels. I wish more Windows OEMs use AMD as its more compelling to the end user.

Did your friends XPS have a dGPU in it?

pi=e=3

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2021

The 3700x doesn't have any hardware acceleration, as they do not feature an iGPU, only AMD APU's do. The M1 is applying it's iGPU for this task, which is equivalent to about a GTX 1050.

The Ryzen 3000's also aren't that impressive IPC wise, they were just the best bang for the buck.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
The 3700x doesn't have any hardware acceleration, as they do not feature an iGPU, only AMD APU's do. The M1 is applying it's iGPU for this task, which is equivalent to about a GTX 1050.

The Ryzen 3000's also aren't that impressive IPC wise, they were just the best bang for the buck.
Yes but the the Ryzen pc in the video I showed you is using the the gtx 1060 for video acceleration

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.