Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
My current target is cheapest version of ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen3 with university alumni discounted offer
A great buy but comes with a power hungry processor. Battery life won't be great but other than that a great machine.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
A great buy but comes with a power hungry processor. Battery life won't be great but other than that a great machine.

If ARM non macbook laptop comes out soon, that would be a better choice.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I understand they don't have the butterfly, however, they still have minimal travel and feel the same as the butterfly. I wouldn't buy a macbook anyways because you give up so much for your money. Maybe that will change with the new pro since they are supposedly introducing actual ports back into the notebook. The world does not revolve around USB-C unlike what apple will make you believe.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I understand they don't have the butterfly, however, they still have minimal travel and feel the same as the butterfly. I wouldn't buy a macbook anyways because you give up so much for your money. Maybe that will change with the new pro since they are supposedly introducing actual ports back into the notebook. The world does not revolve around USB-C unlike what apple will make you believe.

I think M1 macbook air is cheap enough, just developing php sites with macos is not comfortable for me.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I think M1 macbook air is cheap enough, just developing php sites with macos is not comfortable for me.
Yes, but you get more for your money with other systems. MAX speed is not the be all end all. There are diminishing returns are. The 11th Gen i7 is essentially the same speed in real world use as the M1. Benchmarks only tell part of the story. And really, doing LOTS of different things the i7 is quite a bit faster. Both companies cherry pick their benchmarks to make their product look "the fastest". What you give up with mac is software support, port selection, comfortable keyboard options, upgradability of ANY part, and being locked into appleshpere.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
My current target is cheapest version of ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen3 with university alumni discounted offer
That is a good machine, as long as you don't need more powerful GPUs. they're still stuck on 1650. If you want more, then you have to look at the Lenovo Legion laptops or go somewhere else (Razer Blade, ASUS G15, etc.).
The processor isn't really the problem, the GPU is. These machines with Nvidia GPUs need crazy amount of power. That's why, depending on GPU, come with huge power supplies (>200W). You can always switch to iGPU with additional software or go with a 13/14" version that doesn't come with a dGPU at all. Still far far away from the power consumption of a M-series Apple though.

If ARM non macbook laptop comes out soon, that would be a better choice.
We don't know that. ARM != ARM as Apple is custom and no available anywhere else. I've been working with ARM based systems for years and looking at what's out there, it's still far away from what Apple can do. I'm curious what's going to happen when Nvidia is making the switch from Intel/AMD to their new Grace system and if that ultimately means they have a laptop in the pipeline. The have their Jetson-line, but that's not really a full desktop replacement.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I just went to a Best Buy kind of local store
Actually gaming laptop keyboard is pretty good in general lol
Thinkpad and Surface keyboard are better, other include ideapad are bad, have not tried XPS yet.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Anyone here have a lenovo legion laptop? How is the keyboard? I am eyeing the new version that has a 16" IPS 165hz display. That is looking like a really nice laptop that checks all the boxes.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Anyone here have a lenovo legion laptop? How is the keyboard? I am eyeing the new version that has a 16" IPS 165hz display. That is looking like a really nice laptop that checks all the boxes.

Ideapad keyboard is average, not the same as thinkpad. Feel little bit better than HP.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I did more research and will pick one with 17" screen. Large screen is more comfortable for reading so many codes everyday and I dont need to travel a lot.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Or, if you can wait a few weeks, the new inspiron 16 plus is going to be available and that's going to be a great device.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021
Or, if you can wait a few weeks, the new inspiron 16 plus is going to be available and that's going to be a great device.

I find out Lenovo in local China market is crazy cheap and has best specs

And it can use $500 discount coupon

That becomes 4999 rmb which is 783usd for

R7-5800H cpu
16G ram
512GB ssd
16inch 2.5K monitor

That is like 33% price of other market

And this is direct sale from biggest online store in China not black market.

I dont even know other market has laptop with this high end specs yet

I dont think I need to consider other things, just pick one from China is easy and crazy cheap.

Reactions: Steve Adams

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I find out Lenovo in local China market is crazy cheap and has best specs

And it can use $500 discount coupon

That becomes 4999 rmb which is 783usd for

R7-5800H cpu
16G ram
512GB ssd
16inch 2.5K monitor

That is like 33% price of other market

And this is direct sale from biggest online store in China not black market.

I dont even know other market has laptop with this high end specs yet

I dont think I need to consider other things, just pick one from China is easy and crazy cheap.
Add shipping add import duty and add new OS as normally language locked on Chinese versions and that 33% soon dwindles with 0 international warranty cover = not worth it

I buy many good from around the world so be aware is my advice

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Add shipping add import duty and add new OS as normally language locked on Chinese versions and that 33% soon dwindles with 0 international warranty cover = not worth it

Maybe they live in china.

muimui

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2021

I am next to China and there ia free shipping deal for my location now so shipping cost is zero. Even USA shipping cost should be like 20 US dollars.

You just need to reinstall Windows then you can choose any language you want.

It even includes a paid version of Office.

If you can ship it back to China then you can somehow use the warranty.

No import tax here, at least not something cheap like this.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I am next to China and there ia free shipping deal for my location now so shipping cost is zero. Even USA shipping cost should be like 20 US dollars.

You just need to reinstall Windows then you can choose any language you want.

It even includes a paid version of Office.

If you can ship it back to China then you can somehow use the warranty.

No import tax here, at least not something cheap like this.
Good enjoy :)

Wish I could get US shipping as low as 20 USD average is 150 USD to Malaysia for laptops even on Amazon Prime

Shoppe and Lazada often have low rates but there policies suck especially Lazada and of course limited choices etc

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
We get free shipping on everything amazon prime, or from dell here in Canada. Works great. This past month I purchased an XPS 8940, a 24" ultrasharp monitor and an inspiron 5406 2 in 1 from dell and never paid a cent in shipping charges.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
We get free shipping on everything amazon prime, or from dell here in Canada. Works great. This past month I purchased an XPS 8940, a 24" ultrasharp monitor and an inspiron 5406 2 in 1 from dell and never paid a cent in shipping charges.
Yes it's odd at times with Amazon, they are believe it or not one of the cheapest on laptop delivery costs, B&H or Andorma are a lot more and the few other US retailers that will ship internationally, few and far between BTW.

However I needed a spare strap for the Mrs watch Amazon shipping for something so small and light was more than the item, but Shoppee delivery from China was free

YMMV :)

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
Yes, but you get more for your money with other systems. MAX speed is not the be all end all. There are diminishing returns are. The 11th Gen i7 is essentially the same speed in real world use as the M1. Benchmarks only tell part of the story. And really, doing LOTS of different things the i7 is quite a bit faster. Both companies cherry pick their benchmarks to make their product look "the fastest". What you give up with mac is software support, port selection, comfortable keyboard options, upgradability of ANY part, and being locked into appleshpere.
I disagree, I have seen real world tests where the i7 11th gen ultrabook cpus get beaten by the M1 in video editing and encoding, Super Resolution in PhotoShop, HDR photo editing in Photoshop, Lightroom photo editing and WAY smoother and faster in Davinchi resolve for video editing.

In fact in the Super Resolution photoshop test the M1 finished in 13 SECONDS, while the i7 1165G7 took 10 MINUTES.
and of course the battery life after these real world tests show at M1 at 62% and the Huawei i7 at 15%.

The M1 has a 49.9wh battery
The i7 Huawei has a 56wh battery
Theres a mistake in the video where the battery wh size info is the other way round.

MateBook X Pro vs M1 MacBook Air - M1 Killer from China? - YouTube

EDIT:

I compared intel i7 ultrabook cpus because the M1 is made for ultrabooks like the i7 1165G7.

The i7 11th H series will be faster than the M1 in 99% of the real world scenarios until the M1X or more core M1 version comes out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.