Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hey - I'm thinking of upgraging my late 2013 MBP to a brand new machine. I rely on a brilliant thunderbolt 2 audio interface - but I can't find ANY dongles to connect my TB2 interface to a TB3 port on a new mac. Any ideas? All I can find is the other way round - TB3 to TB2.

Apologies if this is already in the thread - its like 5 years long now so I thought I'd just ask the question...
You use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter - connect the Thunderbolt 3 end to the computer and the Thunderbolt 2 end to the Thunderbolt 2 cable that is connected to the Thunderbolt 2 audio interface.

cfm56d7b

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2020
Did anyone experience this problem with USB C hubs?

I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and Qgeem USB C hub which has been sent back to Amazon due to constant overheating. I am connecting USB C power cord directly to my MBPro 2020 13" 2.3 GHz. Not through the hub as I was already concerned about the reliability of routing power through another device.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I'm interested in a dongle that properly supports data transfer and charging to my new MBA at the highest possible speeds and has slots for memory cards and receptacles for the older USB plugs for printers and scanners. Don't really need a connector for a large screen monitor or CAT-5. I'd like to get one that won't make a fuss with my new laptop. There are so many of these devices out there, I haven't a clue as to which one to order? Ideas?

Reactions: TrancyGoose

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2021
I'm interested in a dongle that properly supports data transfer and charging to my new MBA at the highest possible speeds and has slots for memory cards and receptacles for the older USB plugs for printers and scanners. Don't really need a connector for a large screen monitor or CAT-5. I'd like to get one that won't make a fuss with my new laptop. There are so many of these devices out there, I haven't a clue as to which one to order? Ideas?
I bought this:

Seems to be working amazing, detachable lead, highly recommend this.

mipiro

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
Hey!

Could someone confirm that the OWC TB4 Dock charges the 14 M1 Pro MacBook?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I took the risk and bought it before your reply. It works and charges my M1 Pro Mac with Monterey. I had some problems with USB C => DP/HDMI cables, but with everything is ok with this one.

I've seen other YouTubers talk about that may of these so called High Speed don't seem to work! it looks like their are scammers afloat in Amazon and they are just labeling older HDM1 cables as High Speed top cut corners!

Akapplefan

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
New to getting a dock but ordered 2 x 4K monitors. Dont need any more ports other than something to connect the 2 monitors to my macbook Pro 14”.

what cable is the best to purchase?

fishingfromakay

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
Been using this one and it does everything I have needed so far without a problem. $30 Mokin "MUC0501B"

Attachments

• Dg.png
    Dg.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 179

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
I've been using the Purgo 7-in-2 for a couple of months now. I've had several dongles, but I have to say, this is by far the best one I've owned yet.
  • It doesn't turn itself into a frying pan while in use. (Crazy, I know. But I've had some dongles that got unnecessarily hot even during light use.)
  • The SD card reader benchmarks at about 80MB/sec (read and write). So far, this dongle and the Hyper-Tough from Best Buy are the only two that I've ever owned that can match the speed of the card itself (using a Samsung Evo Select, some cards may be faster).
  • It actually supports thunderbolt displays through the primary USB-C port (none of my other dongles support this). It has a secondary USB-C port as well, and supports charging and data through both.
  • Everything else (USB-A ports, HDMI) works as expected and performs well. It doesn't struggle when all ports are being used simultaneously, and performs great with music recording (an environment that requires very low latency and good performance).
It's one of the cheaper ones from Amazon, so I was a bit surprised. Definitely a well built and reliable dongle, figured I'd share for anyone who's still looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketbuc

Morgon

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2014
Are there any dongles specifically targeted to the newer MBP machines?

Since they're back in the laptop, I don't need a card reader or HDMI. I just want the ethernet and at least two USB-C data-capable ports (most seem like they're PD only), along with two or more USB-A -- without needing external power beyond the laptop USB-C port (which disqualifies the OWC dock). Without HDMI and the card reader, I'd imagine you could get more than a couple.

This seems like it should be workable, bandwidth-wise (with obvious nuances on what you can run simultaneously). Has any manufacturer tailored their products to newer MBPs yet?

Reactions: platinumaqua

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
Are there any dongles specifically targeted to the newer MBP machines?

Since they're back in the laptop, I don't need a card reader or HDMI. I just want the ethernet and at least two USB-C data-capable ports (most seem like they're PD only), along with two or more USB-A -- without needing external power beyond the laptop USB-C port (which disqualifies the OWC dock). Without HDMI and the card reader, I'd imagine you could get more than a couple.

This seems like it should be workable, bandwidth-wise (with obvious nuances on what you can run simultaneously). Has any manufacturer tailored their products to newer MBPs yet?
I have seen some dongles that output to gigabit ethernet and USB-A ports only, but the USB-A ports are only 5 Gbps (3.0) capable and the ethernet controller is the bog standard RTL8153 which uses the ECM driver and has high CPU usage problems

Reactions: jimthing

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
I use the StarTech US2GC30, which, as of revision 2, uses the RTL8156B(S)G. It's the first ethernet adapter I've found that has given me zero issues with networking on my M1 Max. It's also not super hot. I imagine this chipset will eventually work its way down to cheaper ethernet adapters over time.

Definitely recommend avoiding anything with the RTL8153, as well as the initial revision of the RTL8156. RTL8156B or RTL8156B(S)G or bust.

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
I use the StarTech US2GC30, which, as of revision 2, uses the RTL8156B(S)G. It's the first ethernet adapter I've found that has given me zero issues with networking on my M1 Max. It's also not super hot. I imagine this chipset will eventually work its way down to cheaper ethernet adapters over time.

Definitely recommend avoiding anything with the RTL8153, as well as the initial revision of the RTL8156. RTL8156B or RTL8156B(S)G or bust.
Just curious, how long is the block where you plug in the ethernet cable?

Diagram to explain what I mean:
==Ethernet Cable ==[] [ "THIS PART" ]----adapter's cable----[USB-C connector]=

CubeApril

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2022
Just curious, how long is the block where you plug in the ethernet cable?

Diagram to explain what I mean:
==Ethernet Cable ==[] [ "THIS PART" ]----adapter's cable----[USB-C connector]=
It’s about 8.5cm long, 2.75cm wide, and 1.75cm thick. It’s a bit longer and a bit skinnier than average.

Now I’m super curious why you want to know. 😅

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
It’s about 8.5cm long, 2.75cm wide, and 1.75cm thick. It’s a bit longer and a bit skinnier than average.

Now I’m super curious why you want to know. 😅
Thanks! Thinking about getting this for travel but this adapter looks huge in pictures, so just wondering about the size

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Have been looking through the thread here but could not find a good option for my use case.

My needs:
- Ethernet port
- HDMI or DisplayPort 4k 60Hz
- A few USB-A ports
- Long or detachable USB-C cable (I would like to hide the dock under my deck, the short cables offered are not doing it)

Does anyone have suggestions? I thought about ordering the TwelveSouth StayGo which would have been perfect but it is 4k with only 30 (!) Hz.

ChriAl

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
Have been looking through the thread here but could not find a good option for my use case.

My needs:
- Ethernet port
- HDMI or DisplayPort 4k 60Hz
- A few USB-A ports
- Long or detachable USB-C cable (I would like to hide the dock under my deck, the short cables offered are not doing it)

Does anyone have suggestions? I thought about ordering the TwelveSouth StayGo which would have been perfect but it is 4k with only 30 (!) Hz.
How long would you like the USB-C cable to be?

Check if the iVANKY Docking Station Pro suits your need. I use it to connect an LG 4K monitor to my M2 MBA. Says on its product page that it supports dual 4K@60Hz for Intel MacBooks.

It also has Ethernet port and 4x USB-A ports.

Reactions: rocketbuc

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
How long would you like the USB-C cable to be?

Check if the iVANKY Docking Station Pro suits your need. I use it to connect an LG 4K monitor to my M2 MBA. Says on its product page that it supports dual 4K@60Hz for Intel MacBooks.

It also has Ethernet port and 4x USB-A ports.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Ideally the cable should be fully detachable as on the TwelveSouth dock. I my setup, about 1.0m would be sufficient to have the monitor and my machine further apart and the Mac potentially hidden out of sight.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Are there really no USB-C extension cables that could be used for such a scenario? Does not need to be long, 0.5 to 1.0m maximum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.