Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
It's probably going to be around $300. Not a deal breaker but definitely a consideration. Also, I'm not sure if one of the two USB C ports will be used to connect to the MacBook or not.

It does fix one thing for people who want to have a dedicated home charger though as it charges sufficiently for even the 15 inch MBP.

I'd personally rather get the 4K LG display that comes with 3 USB C slots and get a USB C to USB 3.0 hub. The LG monitor charges the MacBook too supposedly. It's just the cleanest solution in my opinion.
- On the Belkin hub, one of its two USB-C ports is used to connect to the Mac.

Keep in mind that the 4K LG UltraFine monitor can only charge at 60 W (on the low end for a 15") and that its USB-C hub is only USB 2.0.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
- On the Belkin hub, one of its two USB-C ports is used to connect to the Mac.

Keep in mind that the 4K LG UltraFine monitor can only charge at 60 W (on the low end for a 15") and that its USB-C hub is only USB 2.0.

5K LG Ultrafine monitor does 85w charging and USB 3.1 gen 1 for it's USB-c hub.

gametime10

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Check out Marble DCS. I bought one on Kickstarter and it works great. However, I've switched to PC and no longer need one (as my laptop has plenty of ports). Anyone want to buy it from me? PM me.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I have the TB3 to TB2 adapter now. Expensive, but rather nice. A bit bulky, but not bad at all. There is a bit of hardware inside of it you can tell. I tested it and it works fine. At this point I don't see any downside to conversion here, but it's preliminary.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
I know some of you photographers are worried about SD Cards. Found this (http://www.satechi.net/index.php/type-c-usb-card-reader-space-gray) on Satechi's website. A good option for the on-the-go photographer.
[doublepost=1477932916][/doublepost]

I'm worried about that little flex cable becoming frayed in the future. I've been looking at options without the flex cable. Guess Apple's cables have me worried about cable life.

Reactions: groundcontrol

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
no mention if it's 4k @ 30hz or 60hz
It does. In the Support section:

Question:
What is the FPS limit via HDMI?

Answer: The Type-C Multi-Port Adapter supports 4K at 30Hz.
[doublepost=1477933149][/doublepost]
I know some of you photographers are worried about SD Cards. Found this (http://www.satechi.net/index.php/type-c-usb-card-reader-space-gray) on Satechi's website. A good option for the on-the-go photographer.
[doublepost=1477932916][/doublepost]

I'm worried about that little flex cable becoming frayed in the future. I've been looking at options without the flex cable. Guess Apple's cables have me worried about cable life.
There is another one from them without the cable. But doesn't have HDMI. So no no for me.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Question:

Ah there you go then. Personally I'm waiting to see what hubs come out specially for the new MBPs. Seems like most don't meet the pass through power requirements. Not in any rush since we still have 2-3 weeks.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California

Question:

[doublepost=1477933149][/doublepost]
There is another one from them without the cable. But doesn't have HDMI. So no no for me.

I rarely use HDMI so I figured Id just get a cheap HMDI adapter and save the cost on the hub.

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Ah there you go then. Personally I'm waiting to see what hubs come out specially for the new MBPs. Seems like most don't meet the pass through power requirements. Not in any rush since we still have 2-3 weeks.
Any idea if this one supports the power requirements? Tbh I am not really bothered by it, because I will be using another port for charging and use one port just for this dongle for USB-A, HDMI, Ethernet blah blah blah.
[doublepost=1477933761][/doublepost]
I rarely use HDMI so I figured Id just get a cheap HMDI adapter and save the cost on the hub.
I rarely use it as well. Just for presentations at times. Rather have a dongle with everything than have 2-3 dongles down the line for one thing or the other.
[doublepost=1477933838][/doublepost]
Have a look at this one. Suits your needs perfectly.
http://www.satechi.net/index.php/type-c-pass-through-usb-hub-space-gray

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
Any idea if this one supports the power requirements? Tbh I am not really bothered by it, because I will be using another port for charging and use one port just for this dongle for USB-A, HDMI, Ethernet blah blah blah.
[doublepost=1477933761][/doublepost]
I rarely use it as well. Just for presentations at times. Rather have a dongle with everything than have 2-3 dongles down the line for one thing or the other.
[doublepost=1477933838][/doublepost]
Have a look at this one. Suits your needs perfectly.
http://www.satechi.net/index.php/type-c-pass-through-usb-hub-space-gray

Thats the one Ive been looking at. I emailed Satechi about the new MBPs thinness and if they thought the hub would be too thick for it.

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
Do we know whether the Belkin dock supports 4K @ 60Hz or not? I asked them on Twitter but they didn't respond (yet). In theory one could connect one 4K screen via the DisplayPort out and a second one using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.
I'm going to assume yes, because this one is obviously designed for the MBP. But yes, I am also eagerly awaiting the answer.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Do we know whether the Belkin dock supports 4K @ 60Hz or not? I asked them on Twitter but they didn't respond (yet). In theory one could connect one 4K screen via the DisplayPort out and a second one using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.
It's almost certainly 60Hz, but yes, I'm awaiting confirmation before buying. :)

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Anyone have experience with using firewire devices through USB-C? I have a dated, but nice, portable audio interface I wouldn't mind using. Would I have to get a firewire to thunderbolt 2 adapter then a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter to even make it work? Would there be lousy performance/latency with a set up like that?

Or am I just overlooking an easier alternative?

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Thats the one Ive been looking at. I emailed Satechi about the new MBPs thinness and if they thought the hub would be too thick for it.
I am sure they will come out with a new one for the new macbook. This one will just block the other port as well and can be used on the left side only.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Just a heads up to some, the ethernet ports on some of these devices require drivers that break or don't work properly after updates.

As far as display port, what are our known working options? Apple's TB2 to USB-C adapter doesn't support mini display port.

Reactions: Baldrake
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.