Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainkilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
A couple of months ago, I decided to try compiling the Doom 3 open source code - called Dhewm3 - in order to replay one of my favourite games. The vanilla Doom 3, a 32-bit app, doesn't work on Catalina, but Dhewm supports 64-bit and many other improvements, so I gave it a go - and succeeded. There's a half-a-bug in Catalina and the way it handles hi-dpi for games, so I had had to wait until I found a fix and then made a script to work around that limitation and include the Redux mod textures that give the game a breath of new life. Since many of us are staying at home due to COVID-19, I thought there could be people out there interested in killing time and some hellish monsters, so I decided to make the files available. All relevant files (should be) included in the linked archive - you will need the game files, of course, them .pk4 files from the original installation, as well as the freely available Redux mod. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Dhewm3_Catalina.zip
    7.4 MB · Views: 1,410

Veext

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
Thx for your work! A have a missing library, do you know what I need to do?

Process: dhewm3 [1035]
Path: /Applications/Doom 3/Doom 3.app/Contents/MacOS/dhewm3
Identifier: dhewm3
Version: 3000
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: bash [1029]
Responsible: Terminal [1027]
User ID: 504

Date/Time: 2020-03-23 01:57:41.546 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.3 (19D76)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 04F3F43F-2AA1-338F-3A11-6F382C6E5C94

Sleep/Wake UUID: 41105A31-1BE5-49E6-8ADB-1C7E406CDB46

Time Awake Since Boot: 4400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/openal-soft/lib/libopenal.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/Doom 3/Doom 3.app/Contents/MacOS/dhewm3
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x10e046000 - 0x10e338ff7 +org.dhewg.dhewm3 (3000) <7FF5FD0B-3774-3429-B98C-F2D5E0EE4B0F> /Applications/Doom 3/Doom 3.app/Contents/MacOS/dhewm3
0x1186b0000 - 0x118740cb7 dyld (733.8) <EBC07CB6-870A-3A8E-B48A-67F62EA161F3> /usr/lib/dyld

Reactions: brainkilla

Veext

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
OK :)

Code:
brew install openal-soft
brew install libvorbis
brew install libjpeg
brew install SDL2
Zrzut ekranu 2020-03-23 o 02.52.00.png

brainkilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hi. I am getting a Doom 3 is damaged and can't be opened message. Any suggestions. Thanks

Try running
Code:
sudo xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Doom\ 3/Doom\ 3.app

in Terminal. You're getting a Gatekeeper-related error and this should do it. But, as Veext discovered, you may need additional libraries that I homebrewed - https://brew.sh - as dependencies to compile the game; however, I apparently hadn't linked them statically, i.e. they are not included in the binary and may need to be installed separately.

My initial post clearly leaves much to be desired in terms of instructions how to run the game successfully, however I compiled it on a late night back in December with quite a bit trial and error - missing libraries, various config options and some such - and simply don't recall everything I did back then to be able to construe a comprehensive - and comprehensible - instructions now. Also, and that's what Doom 3 Redux app/script fixes, I encountered a Catalina hidpi change/bug where only a half or quarter of the screen was being rendered upon game launch, which I wrote off as a mistake I had made when compiling. Just days ago I stumbled upon a post that explained how the issue could be fixed with a simple command to disable conflicting options, so I decided to put this online for people who appreciate Doom 3, and include Redux as it brings game visuals closer to modern shooters.

Sorry if I've been overly technical, but there's no simpler way to explain all the intricacies of the process :)

Last edited:
Reactions: UmarOMC

Marcus Herbert

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
Frankfurt am Main/Germany
If you are running an older release of MacOS(X) - like Yosemite and up - this might be of interest for you. It's a 64bit build of Dhewm3 1.5.1pre that doesn't need any extra libs, just the game data that goes into the base and d3xp folders.

Enjoy. :cool:

Attachments

• dhewm3_osx_r1.5.1pre.dmg.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 893

UmarOMC

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
NYC
Oh crap this works well! THANKS! Had to run the xattr and go to Security & Privacy Control Panel to allow it to run (Apple obfuscates allowing non Apple/AppleID apps to run by forcing us to go to the Control Panel rather than clicking a pop-up now) but it works really damn well. ?

Reactions: simonmet

headsh0t

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
I registered here just to express gratitude. I've been looking for a way to play Doom on my Mac for a long time. Thank you for your contribution, these kind of acts push humanity forward.

A couple of months ago, I decided to try compiling the Doom 3 open source code - called Dhewm3 - in order to replay one of my favourite games. The vanilla Doom 3, a 32-bit app, doesn't work on Catalina, but Dhewm supports 64-bit and many other improvements, so I gave it a go - and succeeded. There's a half-a-bug in Catalina and the way it handles hi-dpi for games, so I had had to wait until I found a fix and then made a script to work around that limitation and include the Redux mod textures that give the game a breath of new life. Since many of us are staying at home due to COVID-19, I thought there could be people out there interested in killing time and some hellish monsters, so I decided to make the files available. All relevant files (should be) included in the linked archive - you will need the game files, of course, them .pk4 files from the original installation, as well as the freely available Redux mod. Enjoy!

gabrich10

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
Hi! I'm trying to install doom 3 (I didn't have it installed before the Catalina upgrade) but I can't install the original dmg, so I don't have the original files. Can someone help me?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi! I'm trying to install doom 3 (I didn't have it installed before the Catalina upgrade) but I can't install the original dmg, so I don't have the original files. Can someone help me?

Did you originally have a copy of the game?

genius7

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2008
I have purchased a copy of Doom 3. How should I proceed in order to play it on Catalina?

Badaszewski

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
If you are running an older release of MacOS(X) - like Yosemite and up - this might be of interest for you. It's a 64bit build of Dhewm3 1.5.1pre that doesn't need any extra libs, just the game data that goes into the base and d3xp folders.

Thanks for this, I downloaded this however it is just a bunch of files with no explanation on what to do with them. I originally had Doom 3 installed on my 32 bit system and now I've updated to a 64bit version.

The thing is my version of doom had no folder as such, just the application file in the applications folder so i've no idea wha to do with any of the files in this download

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

gandalf16

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
A
Thanks for this, I downloaded this however it is just a bunch of files with no explanation on what to do with them. I originally had Doom 3 installed on my 32 bit system and now I've updated to a 64bit version.

The thing is my version of doom had no folder as such, just the application file in the applications folder so i've no idea wha to do with any of the files in this download

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
I had it working, and TBH it wasn’t even that difficult (in fact, I had simply missed the screenshot posted a few posts back *blushes*).

If you have a legally purchased Doom 3 copy, you just need to do this:
- unzip the file downloaded from the first post;
- right-click the Doom 3 app in the Application folder and select Show package content;
- navigate to Contents/Assets and you should find inside it a folder named ‘base’ which contains all the .pk4 files;
- copy the ‘base’ folder inside the folder you obtained at the first step and you should be ready to go.

Just be careful to run the Doom 3 app and not the Doom 3 Redux file

If the app still doesn’t open or doesn’t run correctly, open the Terminal, install Brew via command line (you should find all the relevant steps just googling around) and then run *in sequence* the four commands you find in Veext third post above.

When you’re done the game should be running perfectly (at least it did with me, though it took me a while to find the correct key combo to open the Console….;-))

HTH

P.S.: of course *huge* thanks to Brainkilla, Weext and all people involved in this

Last edited:
Reactions: brainkilla

brainkilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
A

I had it working, and TBH it wasn’t even that difficult (in fact, I had simply missed the screenshot posted a few posts back *blushes*).

If you have a legally purchased Doom 3 copy, you just need to do this:
- unzip the file downloaded from the first post;
- right-click the Doom 3 app in the Application folder and select Show package content;
- navigate to Contents/Assets and you should find inside it a folder named ‘base’ which contains all the .pk4 files;
- copy the ‘base’ folder inside the folder you obtained at the first step and you should be ready to go.

Just be careful to run the Doom 3 app and not the Doom 3 Redux file

If the app still doesn’t open or doesn’t run correctly, open the Terminal, install Brew via command line (you should find all the relevant steps just googling around) and then run *in sequence* the four commands you find in Veext third post above.

When you’re done the game should be running perfectly (at least it did with me, though it took me a while to find the correct key combo to open the Console….;-))

HTH

P.S.: of course *huge* thanks to Brainkilla, Weext and all people involved in this

Exactly - thank you, gandalf, for summing things up nicely. I highly suggest you guys try the Redux mod, but you'll need to get the mod files and follow the instructions for their installation, but afterwards it should only be a matter of running the Redux script.

80N35

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
I'm getting the damaged file warning and can't seem to fix it with attr or libraries. Any suggestions? I tried running with "open Doom3.app" from the Terminal and it tried but no error message. Does it write an error log somewhere?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks!!
@brainkilla Any way to add co-op bots in single player?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007

Running great after some matter magic on Big Sur, MacBook Pro 13" i7 2020 and eGPU. I remember I've had fun with single player bots in the past, don't recall mods name but I've seen Dhewm3 requites mods to be ported or recompiled. have you tried/compiled already bots for single player?

Attachments

• Doom3_2.jpg
    Doom3_2.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 568

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I'm getting the damaged file warning and can't seem to fix it with attr or libraries. Any suggestions? I tried running with "open Doom3.app" from the Terminal and it tried but no error message. Does it write an error log somewhere?
I've done this for the 2 libs and Dhewm itelsef

xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine [path]

Example in my Applications/Doom 3 folder

xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Doom\ 3/d3xp.dylib

Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.