Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Glad I found this thread, never thought I'd get to play Doom 3 again on my M1 Mini!! Thank you :D
I had some fun with co-op bots too but the gam crashes often. Maybe it is mod fault not the app.

brainkilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Glad I found this thread, never thought I'd get to play Doom 3 again on my M1 Mini!! Thank you :D

I don't have an M1 Mac to compile the sources, but dhewm3 does support ARM and you could try and give it a whirl... it's not THAT hard :). I'm sure the performance is already great, but having a native binary will certainly yield some benefits.

Reactions: ikir

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Just wanted to tune in and thank you. I have probably all editions of Doom 3 there are, including recent Xbox version. Original is still the best with separate flashlight and much darker environments. I can't believe how they butchered that game. Anyway, I'm off to a patrol in Mars City. ;)

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I don't have an M1 Mac to compile the sources, but dhewm3 does support ARM and you could try and give it a whirl... it's not THAT hard :). I'm sure the performance is already great, but having a native binary will certainly yield some benefits.
can you test Allied Marine Squadmates v.8.ufo ?

ataricrypt

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
England

As is, it runs at 60fps with High details/everything on. That will drop to 40+/50+ FPS during some scenes so it's pretty impressive imho. I wouldn't know where to begin with the source compiling but I'll take a look and research that to see what's required. It would be ace to use the latest version and if it's native too - well - I can only imagine it would be 60FPS constant! :)

Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
As is, it runs at 60fps with High details/everything on. That will drop to 40+/50+ FPS during some scenes so it's pretty impressive imho. I wouldn't know where to begin with the source compiling but I'll take a look and research that to see what's required. It would be ace to use the latest version and if it's native too - well - I can only imagine it would be 60FPS constant! :)

I don’t know about how Dhewm 3 changes the dev codes from vanilla Doom 3, but Doom 3 let’s me raise the frame rate cap from 60fps

Master Tom

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2018
If you are running an older release of MacOS(X) - like Yosemite and up - this might be of interest for you. It's a 64bit build of Dhewm3 1.5.1pre that doesn't need any extra libs, just the game data that goes into the base and d3xp folders.

Enjoy. :cool:
Can you build it for Big Sur?
Big Sur does not want to load the base.dll. Is there a workaround?

gandalf16

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
Would be xtra nice to have the latest version compiled for Macs (Big Sur/M1) :)
Indeed it would: I just got me a brand new Mac mini M1 and for the sake of me I can't get it to work on it.
I've done everything by the book, even tried to install the libraries with arch -x86_64 brew but to no avail.

Go figure....

Peskado

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
I've already did work it on my Mac Mini m1 with macOS Big Sur (11.2.1 last update).

-With Doom3 disk imagen mounted i take all the files (game00.pk4, game01.pk4,etc...) from Contents/Assets/Base and i put them in the Dhew3 folder.

-After that i just tried to run Doom (Dhewm3) inmediatly and of course, didn't work (just a window open from the terminal without any content, just empty).

-Next i installed Homebrew following the steps that are really good explained in the website (like you know: https://brew.sh/)

-Now with Homebrew installed i try again to open Doom (Dhewm3) but then happened the same, the famous empty terminal window appear and nothing.
So i prove this: Dhewm3 ----> Show package content ----> Contents/MacOS/dhewm3 ----> just doubleclick in this last one and the game finally run.

Hope can be usefull for all of you "m1 mac processor" users.
I was kind of loosing my head going and going around and repeating to myself "ufff, with this new processor i'm in a very disadvantage point" , i'm really really glad it finally worked!

Thanks brainkilla for start the thread and all the users for the information and experiences, was really really usefull.

Peace!

WhoKnowscs

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2021
Not sure if it matters, but 1.5.1 got a final release about 2 weeks ago(I.E. not a preview or release candidate)

Reactions: SEmAN

Marcus Herbert

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
Frankfurt am Main/Germany
Hi,

I did a build of the 1.5.1 release as well. It's attached to this post.

As others have already pointed out you just have to create a Doom 3 folder on your hard disc (I suggest to put it inside /Applications/) and drag all the contents of this disk image into it. In a second step you need to copy over all the data files (base/ and d3xp/) from your official doom3 disc/installation into the corresponding base/ and d3xp/ folders.

On my system the Doom 3 folder contents look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 9.11.22 PM.png

Attachments

• dhewm3_osx_r1.5.1.dmg.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 168

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Hello,

I also got this to run on my 2015 13" MacBook Pro running Big Sur, thanks!

Only problem is I cannot get it to run in anything less than a window, I cannot figure out how to get Dhewm3 to run the game in fullscreen...it always defaults back to windowed regardless of what settings I try.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!

:)

UPDATE - Huh, I finally figured it out...sort of. It seems that the resolutions offered are random as to whether or not they will run in full screen or force a windowed mode. Weird. You just have to try them one after another and see which work full screen. Anyways, it's running awesome and I'm having a great time playing Doom3 again! Thanks again!!!

Incidentally, is there any way to use a controller with this version? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: ikir

Queen6

macrumors G4
Reaching out on this one :apple: Got Doom 3 up and running, however the game can only be launched from within the Bundle (Dhewm3 -> Show package content -> Contents/MacOS/dhewm3)

This method will launch a Terminal window, execute and launch Dhewm3. The game runs great at 1600x1200 (60 fps on 12" rMB). My question is has anyone seen similar (macOS 11+) or resolved the same?

On Intel Mac, macOS 11.5.2, looking to run on M1 MBP if can resolve launch issues. Also of note my version of Doom 3 was purchased back in the day directly from Apple. So OSX native, however long abandoned being a 32 bit application. Doubt it matters as the game data files are the same. Dhewm3 DL was latest on this thread from @Marcus Herbert (thx )

Any interested in the original Doom GZDOOM is your go to source port :). Super easy set up, extensive settings to dial in the game for your system & gameplay ?

Q-6

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I've been having a blast with this, thanks!

One question, once I'm finished with the main game, if I purchase the expansion, Resurrection of Evil, off of Steam does anyone know how to add that to this version of the game? What files would I move from where to which folders?

Sorry for my ignorance, thanks in advance!

brainkilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
I've been having a blast with this, thanks!

One question, once I'm finished with the main game, if I purchase the expansion, Resurrection of Evil, off of Steam does anyone know how to add that to this version of the game? What files would I move from where to which folders?

Sorry for my ignorance, thanks in advance!

Dhewm3 does support RoE, you should be able to find all required info here: https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/wiki/FAQ

Also, @Marcus Herbert, do you have m1 Mac and, if so, have you tried compiling dhewm3 on it? I’ve tried a couple of times on Big Sur, but was getting compile time errors... and on Monterey I get the "Xcode 1.5 not supported“ error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Bitmap Father

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
First, thanks a lot brainkilla, oh and Marcus too ! Very nice source port. Nice to have ROE on mac too.

I tried to build it myself but I failed…

So what about the mods ? They require dylib files from this github. But again I couldn't build them. I get this error :
fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found
I'd specially like to try "The Lost Mission"…

Reactions: brainkilla

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
I have an external Mojave USB drive just to play 32-bit games, and finally decided to see if I could get Dhewm3 to work on Big Sur 11.6.4.

Many thanks to Brainkilla and others for making this possible!

As peskado above mentioned, I have to launch Dhewm3 as "Dhewm3 ----> Show package content ----> Contents/MacOS/dhewm3 ----> doubleclick dhewm3" so I created an alias for it and runs perfectly.

Two things I noticed:

1) when I run timedemo I'm capped at 60fps/Ultra Detail settings no matter what resolution I choose. Even runs 60fps/Ultra at native 2880x1800. On my 2019 MBP with Mojave I get 221fps/Ultra. Still eminently playable at 60fps/Ultra, but wondering if there's a config file or setting that uncaps the fps.

2) I have nothing in the /d3xp folder. I am using the /base files from Apple App Store Doom 3 image that I bought 10 years ago. Not sure that it matters as the game runs great. Just wondering if I'm missing anything by having nothing in /d3xp.

Thanks again to Brainkilla, Doom fans, and Macrumors folks who made this game possible on 64-bit macOS!

Bitmap Father

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
2) Resurrection of evil (d3xp) wasn't released on mac, that's why it isn't here. You can use the Windows version though. And of course, you don't need it for the base game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6 and conmee

Queen6

macrumors G4
2) Resurrection of evil (d3xp) wasn't released on mac, that's why it isn't here. You can use the Windows version though. And of course, you don't need it for the base game.
I have Doom 3 BFG installed on my M1 MBP and can conform that Resurrection of evil runs using the Base data files from the Windows version :cool: Big thx to those that made this possible :)

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: ikir and Irishman

Bradamante

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Germany
I did a build of the 1.5.1 release as well. It's attached to this post.

Confirmed working on my setup (Hackintosh w/ Mac OS 11.5.2 Big Sur, Intel 8700K, Vega 64 GPU)

Instructions:

1) Create a folder /Applications/Doom 3/ and throw the content from Marcus' build into it.

2) Install Homebrew

3) As described on page 1 of this thread, use Homebrew to install the missing libraries via Terminal:
brew install openal-soft
brew install libvorbis
brew install libjpeg
brew install SDL2

4) Use Terminal to de-quarantine two library files:
sudo xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Doom\ 3/d3xp.dylib
sudo xattr -rds com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Doom\ 3/base.dylib

5) Throw the content files of the base Doom 3 game into /Applications/Doom 3/base/ and the expansion content files into /Applications/Doom 3/d3xp/ . The Resurrection of Evil expansion should then be selectable as a mod from the main menu.

6) Just double-clicking the Dhewm 3 app crashes for me, but: Show Package Contents and creating an alias for Contents/Mac OS/dhewm3 works for me.

Insta crashes for me. The error message says that OpenAL was compiled for macOS 12. Maybe that's the cause, maybe not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.