Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
RBDOOM-3-BFG on the Mac absolutely kills it. Game is so well balanced and really draws you in, been following this mod for years :)
DKoBaP6.png

Dev's completely rebuilt the games lighting systems, added in SSAO, Soft Shadows, Filmic VFX, vastly improved antialiasing and way more. In many respects it's a shame so much of the game world's detail was shrouded in darkness in the original release. With RBDOOM you can really see just how much effort I.D. put into the game.

It's an insane amount of work, literally taking years off the game. Dev's mission statement, nor do I think he's kidding as he's well on the way...

"RBDOOM-3-BFG is based on DOOM-3-BFG and the goal of this port is to bring DOOM-3-BFG up to latest technology in 2021 making it closer to Doom 2016 while still remaining a DOOM 3 port regarding the gameplay."

Can't find a clip of the latest RBDOOM rev 1.4 release on Windows, let alone macOS, but this one is likely Rev 1.3 on Linux (brightness is cranked up for YT)
Beauty of RBDOOM is that it's just the game engine and can be combined with other mods such as HiDef or Weapons of Mars Destruction :)

On My M1 MBP, Doom 3 has never looked better, combined with RBDOOM-3-BFG puts many a new release to shame. Dial down the brightness and have at it...

FYI running on the latest release of macOS Monterey. W10 just search on Moddb :) or hit me up...

Q-6

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I recently purchased Doom 3 BFG edition on GOG, and installed it on a Boot Camp partition (Mac Pro 5,1 with Windows 8,1) TBH this was more nostalgia than anything else..,
I had purchased the original Doom 3 Mac edition, and just wanted to see it again!

After running into RBDOOM 3, I copied the install dir over to my Mac Studio, and launched RBDOOM 3 to see if it works.
Yes, it does!
But I never really allowed myself the time for actually playing at again.

Out of curiosity: is the GOG version of Doom 3 BFG enough to get the best visuals? Or do I need to download any updates to the game?
Thanks!

Reactions: Irishman

Queen6

macrumors G4
I recently purchased Doom 3 BFG edition on GOG, and installed it on a Boot Camp partition (Mac Pro 5,1 with Windows 8,1) TBH this was more nostalgia than anything else..,
I had purchased the original Doom 3 Mac edition, and just wanted to see it again!

After running into RBDOOM 3, I copied the install dir over to my Mac Studio, and launched RBDOOM 3 to see if it works.
Yes, it does!
But I never really allowed myself the time for actually playing at again.

Out of curiosity: is the GOG version of Doom 3 BFG enough to get the best visuals? Or do I need to download any updates to the game?
Thanks!
I think GOG version is good enough with RBDOOM 3. For the PC there's a Hifef mod, however, is more complex to install as the mod needs to be patched and the RBDOOM 3 engine also has to be updated and patched.

Another worth looking at is Weapons of Mars Destruction
Overall getting mods to work on the Mac will be far more problematic, which kind of answers the question.

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Had a good crack at Doom 3 BFG on latest RBDOOM 3 (1.4 release). Played through to Alpha labs section 4. Game Plays really well and allows the brightness to be dropped far closer to the original level of Doom 3 which I prefer with far more modern effects.

The torch mechanic works really well as the light is on a timer and has a cooldown period. So, you can't just use it and abuse it and you'll get into situations were switching weapons and deciding on when to use the torch matters.

Seems to play a little harder & faster, AI feels more aggressive although that might just be me. Those wanting the original gameplay & graphics style of the 2004 release of Doom 3 should look to Dhewm3 for PC & Mac. As this source port offers a very vanilla experience.

PC I've locked the FPS to 120, on the Mac 60, max settings. It's a pleasure to play on modern HW as Doom 3 seems to simply get better with age :)

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Thanks for that Qeen6!
Will definitely give it a crack soon!

There's just something about Doom 3. It's not the best game ever produced yet is so very enigmatic. While many debate the better version. One can now play exactly how you want thx to the commitment of dedicated modders for both D3 & D3 BFG...

Last I played stock D3 BFG was on Veteran. Playing RBDOOM 3 BFG 1.4, I'm on Marine and fighting hard. Maybe I've slowed down, equally really enjoying the challenge of D3 RBDOOM 3 at the top of its game :cool: Magic of this game is it never gets old and is so very immersive :)

I think RBDOOM 3 with the brightness dropped to zero in game and ambient lighting at 50% is just perfect, atmosphere absolutely exudes. You can't see distance, but you can see the detail I.D. put so much effort into the game. Impressive and then the fight starts :cool:

Then there's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which is a whole new world and then some...

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Dropped back into RBDOOM BFG 3, is a wild ride with the brightness dropped. Dev has very cleverly split global brightness and ambient brightness makes for a hell of a difference. Extremely immersive to say the very least, nails the feeling of being on backup lighting and the feeling of being so very isolated with superb soft shadow effects.

Mod draws you in so deeply, I only play at night in a darkened room as the atmosphere is off the wall with this set up. Really enjoying as this is how Doom 3 should be played. Soon I'll come across the Revant's but I'm excited to do so as this game is playing out so well. D3 BFG on RBDOOM 1.4 think is the best playthrough ever of D3 it's really killing it and then some. Defining factor is that you want darkness to get back into the game...:cool:

Q-6

Reactions: MacsRgr8

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
For anyone who might know: when it comes to running games like Doom 3 BFG Edition which haven’t had a Mac release: is it required to fire up Windows at any point when grabbing and using a copy of the Apple Silicon patch from Macsourceports.com?

Or is a .PAK file a .PAK file?

Queen6

macrumors G4
For anyone who might know: when it comes to running games like Doom 3 BFG Edition which haven’t had a Mac release: is it required to fire up Windows at any point when grabbing and using a copy of the Apple Silicon patch from Macsourceports.com?

Or is a .PAK file a .PAK file?
Yes as you need to copy the data files from the base folder. Doom 3 BFG has a different data format. The Dhewm3 source port for Doom 3 uses the .PK4 files. Once you have the base folders copied from either game you can then just uninstall the game from Windows.

Q-6

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
BTW, maybe not the most important thing... but, I also love the story-line in Doom 3.
I enjoy simply watching YouTubers doing a walkthrough of it. So many details...!

• Love
Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
BTW, maybe not the most important thing... but, I also love the story-line in Doom 3.
I enjoy simply watching YouTubers doing a walkthrough of it. So many details...!
You should jump in and play as now you can customise the game to your liking on macOS or Windows. Tilting the game to action, horror or just the mid space :)

I.D. Software clearly put a huge amount of effort into Doom 3 and to some extents it's a shame for it all to be shrouded in darkness. This is why I like the RBDOOM 3 BFG source port so much as you can keep the dark and foreboding atmosphere with far more realistic ambient lighting that reveals the details of the game world. Best of both worlds :cool:

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
Game is less annoying if you already have locker and door access codes handy. And, to bypass all the yapping press esc key if running RBDOOM.
I don't mind the door & locker codes but being able to skip the cut scenes is definitely a QoL improvement for the seasoned player. More so being able to dial in the look of the game is where it's at for me. I can get that dark oppressive atmosphere and still enjoy all the details thx to the RBDOOM source port's far superior lighting systems.

Q-6

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
1688734794641.png

Quick update on Doom 3 for modern Mac's.

Recently updated Doom 3 (Original & BFG) source ports on the PC. Moved onto the M1 MBP, just updated the Doom 3 data files (pk4), adding in Resurrection of Evil (expansion pack) as the application is already at the latest revision (dhewm3 Mac/dhewm3 PC). Am also running D3HDP (Essential HD pack) on the PC (NVidia dGPU) which literally strips years off the game without altering gameplay or the look and feel of Doom 3 :)

Mac Source Ports is where you can get the notarised source ports for Doom 3 and other games that can run on Apple Silicon & x64 Mac's :) Now playing the original Doom 3 after testing the updates as has been a spell.

D3HDP can be added to Doom 3 & Resurrection of Evil on Apple Silicon Mac's, note if any drop in FPS or stutter is encountered opt for D3HDPv1 versus the latest D3HDPv2 The original Doom 3 has now really come or age and a firm favourite...

Here's Doom 3 on the dhewn3 source port engine with D3HDP (Essential HD pack) only original game files are the pk4 game data from the base & d3xp folders the rest is all the work of the dhewm3 & D3HDP mod teams.
1688733842215.png
1688733758906.png
1688731630213.png
1688733811070.png
1688733919938.png
1688734315156.png
1688734070329.png
1688734171572.png
Plays beautifully, D3HDP doesn't alter the tone of Doom 3 :cool:

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: ikir

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
View attachment 2229319
Quick update on Doom 3 for modern Mac's.

Recently updated Doom 3 (Original & BFG) source ports on the PC. Moved onto the M1 MBP, just updated the Doom 3 data files (pk4), adding in Resurrection of Evil (expansion pack) as the application is already at the latest revision (dhewm3 Mac/dhewm3 PC). Am also running D3HDP (Essential HD pack) on the PC (NVidia dGPU) which literally strips years off the game without altering gameplay or the look and feel of Doom 3 :)

Mac Source Ports is where you can get the notarised source ports for Doom 3 and other games that can run on Apple Silicon & x64 Mac's :) Now playing the original Doom 3 after testing the updates as has been a spell.

D3HDP can be added to Doom 3 & Resurrection of Evil on Apple Silicon Mac's, note if any drop in FPS or stutter is encountered opt for D3HDPv1 versus the latest D3HDPv2 The original Doom 3 has now really come or age and a firm favourite...

Here's Doom 3 on the dhewn3 source port engine with D3HDP (Essential HD pack) only original game files are the pk4 game data from the base & d3xp folders the rest is all the work of the dhewm3 & D3HDP mod teams.
View attachment 2229298
View attachment 2229296
View attachment 2229269
View attachment 2229297
View attachment 2229300
View attachment 2229313

View attachment 2229307
View attachment 2229309
Plays beautifully, D3HDP doesn't alter the tone of Doom 3 :cool:

Q-6
Really impressive! Any change to get the co-op mod too? It needs to be ported.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
TBH not tried if co-op works in the Windows version of dhewm3 I'd expect it to work in the macOS port. If a specific Windows based mod will need to be ported to the Mac.

Q-6
It is a specific mod for playing Doom 3 in co-op, a recompile is needed.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Still working with the D3HDP HD Pack V2 for Doom 3 to get it to run 100% on Apple's Silicon M1 MBP. At times I get as much fun out of working on the games with mods as I do playing them :)

I have the HD Pack V1 running natively on Apple Silicon. Repeatedly benchmarks at over 130 FPS. Not big numbers by todays standards, equally none of this was ever designed to run on a Mac let alone Apple's SOC. So far the game has performed flawlessly.

V2's pk4 files have differing internal file types, which I believe is the culprit for the intermittent hitching. When I see the shadows of the fans, dont see hitching or excessive FPS drop in known areas I'll know the jobs done :)
Screenshot 2023-07-18 041348.png

V2 does run on the M1, however it hitches in places and suffers from FPS drops when textures or reflections are present on glass surfaces. Bottom line is the 13" MBP's GPU is likely struggling as it's already rendering at 2560x1600 then downscaling to 1440x900 for Retina. No doubt the newer 14"/16" MBP's would fair far better with their far more powerful GPU's, equally I'm not about to drop $2K+ to play a 20 year old game on a Mac LOL.

Also planning to replace the Hell Knights with these more intimidating demonic beasts, especially on the Mac as this was the initial reveal at the Macworld 2001 preview. Sadly Doom 3 was tamed down, some of the original content was pretty strong and resultantly cut...:(

Hell Knight (originally Hell Baron) from the Macworld 2001 preview
Doom 3 Hell Knight - Macworld 2001 Preview.jpg

Hell Knight from the retail game
Doom 3 Hell Knighy - Retail Box.jpg

On a quick reload Doom 3 with D3HDP HD Pack V1 installed the replacement Hell Knight does look to run as expected on the M1 MBP. Next up for the M1 Mac/PC is Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Quake or Quake 2 naturally with mods :)

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Doom 3 - The Lost Mission - Hell
Screenshot 2023-11-22 001221.png

Screenshot 2023-11-22 001623.png

Originally released only with Doom 3 BFG to sweeten the deal. Well until the modder's got hold of it :cool: Now The Lost Mission can run on Doom 3 with the dhewm3 source port engine and to add the icing on the cake all with the excellent D3HDP - DooM 3 Essential HD Pack.

Now you can play Doom 3 as you wish; newer game engine, vastly improved graphics and all three campaigns :)

Q-6

Reactions: ikir
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.