Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
So my iPhone 6S Plus was running the iOS 10 public beta 2. I finally decided the hell with it let me get rid of this beta and go on 9.3.3. Apparently that was a BAD idea. My "phone" app instantly crashes whenever I try to open it, but after 3-5 times it will open. Or if I open up multitask and attempt to open it. My settings app crashes instantly whenever I go into Settings>Phone. My phone wasn't receiving notifications for the "messages" app but luckily after resetting the notifications settings for messages it fixed it. As for the other issues I am having I have done EVERYTHING. I restored my phone completely at least 5 times and the app crashing doesn't stop! I have been trying to research a solution for a few days now and I cannot find anything! And to top it all off the next available slot to meet with an Apple genius at my local Apple stores Genius Bar isn't until THURSDAY!! My job consists of delivering and I have to use my phone and my calls frequently. It really is a hassle, does anyone have a solution aside from getting a new phone from Apple!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Use recovery mode or DFU to restore it to the latest public iOS version (9.3.3 currently) and don't put any backup onto it and see how that goes.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
Use recovery mode or DFU to restore it to the latest public iOS version (9.3.3 currently) and don't put any backup onto it and see how that goes.
I shall try it tomorrow. FYI, Whenever I setup my iPhone as a new iPhone it worked fine! But as soon as I restored from my iCloud back up the problems came back!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I shall try it tomorrow. FYI, Whenever I setup my iPhone as a new iPhone it worked fine! But as soon as I restored from my iCloud back up the problems came back!
Sounds like something is messed up in the backup. Is this a backup from iOS 9 before you updated to try iOS 10?

HangJebat

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2016
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sounds like something is messed up in the backup. Is this a backup from iOS 9 before you updated to try iOS 10?
Agreed with C DM. There is something in the backup data that messes up your phone.

I also downgraded from 10 to 9.3.3 using DFU mode recovery, works fine and smooth.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
sorry for the slight off-topic:
When you say setup as new phone without iCloud, you mean you manually reinstalls all apps etc? Sounds like a major pain .... but I need to get my iPhone 6 fixed which is soooo laggy it ain't funny anymore.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope, I did the trick to keep my data on my phone switching back to iOS 9!
Well, keeping the data from a newer OS could result in weird things given that the older OS doesn't know about various newer things.
[doublepost=1470145284][/doublepost]
sorry for the slight off-topic:
When you say setup as new phone without iCloud, you mean you manually reinstalls all apps etc? Sounds like a major pain .... but I need to get my iPhone 6 fixed which is soooo laggy it ain't funny anymore.
That's correct. The idea is really that you still have a backup from iOS 9 before you updated to iOS 10 which you can use to restore.

Reactions: NickyLanzz

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
Well, keeping the data from a newer OS could result in weird things given that the older OS doesn't know about various newer things.
[doublepost=1470145284][/doublepost]
That's correct. The idea is really that you still have a backup from iOS 9 before you updated to iOS 10 which you can use to restore.
So my only option is to restore from my iOS 9 backup from a few months ago?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All I care about are my contacts and photos. Anyway to save those two at least?
Contacts should be saved in iCloud if you use that (not the iCloud backup but iCloud itself basically), or another service like Google if you perhaps use that for your contacts (similarly the same would go for notes, calendars, reminders). As for photos, those could be part of iCloud Photo Library if you use that and would be saved there, beyond something like that, and aside from a backup, the other ways to save those would be to download them onto another computer/device or another cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
Contacts should be saved in iCloud if you use that (not the iCloud backup but iCloud itself basically), or another service like Google if you perhaps use that for your contacts (similarly the same would go for notes, calendars, reminders). As for photos, those could be part of iCloud Photo Library if you use that and would be saved there, beyond something like that, and aside from a backup, the other ways to save those would be to download them onto another computer/device or another cloud service like OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc.
Thank you so much man, I'll give it a try when I get home. You really did help and I'm confident my phone will be fixed. Again, thank you!!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Unlike other iOS versions a simple Option+Update to downgrade doesn't work from iOS 10 to iOS 9 because of so many under the hood changes. It is a way to successfully get your device back on 9.3.3 but music app and other apps won't be usable. I'm sure this is what you are referring to as when you said "trick to save data". Just follow what C DM has said and you should be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.