Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I am incredibly pumped for the new movie. I have a lot of faith in the director. The CGI has been kept to a minimum, the casting is excellent for the most part. They are also dividing it into two movies, which should do the story justice. I have a good feeling about this one :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Dune Trailer #1
The visuals look tremendous, but so far I think I still prefer Kyle MacLachlan while admitting the 1984 movie had issues that prevented it from satisfying as compared to the novel. We’ll see. :)

Last edited:

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Here's a question for the readers of the book (minor spoilers ahead):

I've just picked up the first novel again and one thing that strikes me as odd is this -

Early on there's a big point made about how military tactics in this universe rely entirely on shields. Shield combat requires its own dedicated fighting style and as we get to learn the shields are not feasible on Arrakis, worrying the Duke since the entire defensive strategy of Great Houses is now in question.

So, the Fremen - trained not to rely on shields for all their life - turn out to have the upper hand on their desert planet even against elite troops of the empire. But as soon as the jihad gets underway and the fight shifts to other worlds - how can the Fremen still crush their opponents and establish Paul's empire? Shields are considered a major advantage under normal circumstances, are they not? And surely the Fremen would not be able to just pick up on that training and deployment of shields in a few short years, nor are they overwelmingly strong in numbers to simply crush the forces of Great Houses.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's a question for the readers of the book (minor spoilers ahead):

I've just picked up the first novel again and one thing that strikes me as odd is this -

Early on there's a big point made about how military tactics in this universe rely entirely on shields. Shield combat requires its own dedicated fighting style and as we get to learn the shields are not feasible on Arrakis, worrying the Duke since the entire defensive strategy of Great Houses is now in question.

So, the Fremen - trained not to rely on shields for all their life - turn out to have the upper hand on their desert planet even against elite troops of the empire. But as soon as the jihad gets underway and the fight shifts to other worlds - how can the Fremen still crush their opponents and establish Paul's empire? Shields are considered a major advantage under normal circumstances, are they not? And surely the Fremen would not be able to just pick up on that training and deployment of shields in a few short years, nor are they overwelmingly strong in numbers to simply crush the forces of Great Houses.
It could be the power of the jihad outweighs shield advantage or there are ways to mitigate the shield advantage. I wondered that if hitting a shield with a lasgun results in a nuclear explosion, just how useful are they? 👀

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
It could be the power of the jihad outweighs shield advantage or there are ways to mitigate the shield advantage. I wondered that if hitting a shield with a lasgun results in a nuclear explosion, just how useful are they? 👀

I suppose the Fremen could easily multiply their numbers if they attract enough believers on the opposing side. Perhaps that's what is meant. I don't think that could work everywhere though and surely not against the Sardaukar or staunch atheists.

As for the shields as far as I understood them - hitting one with a lasgun creates a massive explosion at both source and target of the beam so you would actually be endangering yourselves and your companions if you took a lasgun into combat. At the very least you would destroy your lasgun as a result of the act of firing at a shield (I think they do talk about remote controlled ones at some point in one of the books).

I guess that means that essentially nobody dares to fire for fear of hitting a shield even just accidentially and that space combat (if even permitted by the Guild) is all about boarding the enemy vessel and taking the crew out, none of that dodging of laser turrets on capital ships. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I suppose the Fremen could easily multiply their numbers if they attract enough believers on the opposing side. Perhaps that's what is meant. I don't think that could work everywhere though and surely not against the Sardaukar or staunch atheists.

As for the shields as far as I understood them - hitting one with a lasgun creates a massive explosion at both source and target of the beam so you would actually be endangering yourselves and your companions if you took a lasgun into combat. At the very least you would destroy your lasgun as a result of the act of firing at a shield (I think they do talk about remote controlled ones at some point in one of the books).

I guess that means that essentially nobody dares to fire for fear of hitting a shield even just accidentially and that space combat (if even permitted by the Guild) is all about boarding the enemy vessel and taking the crew out, none of that dodging of laser turrets on capital ships. ;)
You could easily employ remote drones to do this job for the tactical advantage. :)

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
You could easily employ remote drones to do this job for the tactical advantage. :)

Suppose it depends on the size of the explosion. I never understood it as actual nuclear blasts though, just compared to ones in terms of impact. If however it is meant to be the former then really easy answer: the Great Convention forbids that. :)

Anyway, it is described that the Atreides residence in Arrakeen is protected by a house shield. Seems really risky business to live there then.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I guess we are waiting until October 2021 for Dune now...

So we knew that Dune was pushing The Batman of his October 1, 2021 date. The Matt Reeves directed DC reboot will now open on March 4, 2022 (not March 12 as some fanboy site tweeted today).

March 4, Warner Bros. had their big screen version of videogame Minecraft which is now undated. The Batman will compete against an untitled Paranormal Activity movie from Paramount.

Matrix 4 will now debut and move up to Wednesday Dec. 22, 2021 instead of April 1, 2022. That Christmas Eve weekend Matrix 4 will share the marquee with Illumination/Universal’s Sing 2 and Sony’s The Nightingale, both opening Wednesday, and Paramount’s Babylon on Friday.

Other DC feature release date changes, largely production related: Andy Muschietti’s The Flash will go on Nov. 4, 2022 instead of June 3, 2022, David Sandberg’s Shazam! 2 will open on June 2, 2023 in lieu of Nov. 4, 2022 while Black Adam will be temporarily undated off its Dec. 22, 2021 release date. That pic’s star Dwayne Johnson is currently shooting Netflix’s Red Notice in Atlanta, GA and production on Black Adam will begin early next year.
link

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Reactions: beach bum

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Reactions: mikzn

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It's great not having to wait to watch films at home, assuming you're in the US and can get HBO Max. For me though, streaming doesn't cut it sound wise for blockbuster films.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I tried rewatching the original with Kyle McLachlan, but he's permanently branded into my brain as the mayor of Portlandia, and I half expected him to turn to the camera and say something about sun and music. Or even a reference to pie and coffee ...

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I tried rewatching the original with Kyle McLachlan, but he's permanently branded into my brain as the mayor of Portlandia, and I half expected him to turn to the camera and say something about sun and music. Or even a reference to pie and coffee ...
For me Kyle is always going to be Agent Cooper.

• Love
Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.