Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Go please....

More people must see the movie in theaters so we can have Part II and maybe Dune Messiah and Children of Dune...
I just left the theatre 5 minutes ago. Not having read the book and not a fan of Sci Fi, I took a chance. Not bad at all and I will be going to see Part 2, should it be made. I enjoyed it much more than Tenet.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Seen the Movie....

A real cinematic Masterpiece and a faithful adaptation of the source material....9 out of 10

The only regret is that some underlying narratives and some of the secondary characters are not fully developed, but I understand, with such a complex source material, the movie must kind of be streamlined...maybe in the second half some of them will be explored...

Go end watch the movie on the biggest screen available in your area...it deserve it.
Well, in the books some of the minor characters are developed later, including Chani, Irulan, the Emperor (I believe we see him only in the second half of the book).

Reactions: rhett7660 and Huntn

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Correct, but i was talking about:

SPOILER ///////
  • Gurney he does not really do anything;
  • Piter and Thufir (and mentats in general are not explained);
  • Yueh and the Suk doctors and imperial conditioning;
  • the smugglers;
  • the spacing guild and the navigators (in general).
Also I missed the fact that the harkonnens successfully made Thufir suspect Jessica, which is an integral part of the first half of the book, and the fact that Paul learned that jessica is the daughter of the Baron and why the Bene Gesserit needed a male, ecc

////////SPOILER

Last edited:

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
In the scene with the hunter-seeker, just before it enters the room, the videobook narrator said something that left me wondering. Or rather, I'm not sure if I heard it right.

First the narrator mentions that sandworms can grow up to 400 meters in length.

Then, as the narrator is talking about what grows on Arrakis, I think he says the roots of some bush or another can reach 135 feet underground.

1) Can anyone confirm that the narrator really uses both meters and feet in that scene?

2) If yes, is there an in-universe reason for him to mix the two up or was this a blooper?

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
2) If yes, is there an in-universe reason for him to mix the two up or was this a blooper?

As far as I can remember, all the measurement in the books are in centimeters, meters and kilometers

But then, I checked in the appendixes...and in the Appendix I: The Ecology of Dune you can read:

" Kynes and his people turned their attention from these great relationships and focused now on micro-ecology. First, the climate: the sand surface often reached temperatures of 344° to 350° (absolute). A foot below ground it might be 55° cooler; a foot above ground, 25° cooler."

So it could be also a subtle reference to the books....

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Reactions: Huntn

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Well, it's not quite another Fellowship of the Ring, sadly.
I was surprised that the movie just fizzles out like it does without a proper finale. The attack on Kynes' hideout would have made for a better ending than that quick dispatching of Jamis in front of an audience of ten or so.

Among other things I liked the casting for Thufir, that's how I'm going to imagine him from now on. Less impressed by Jessica - not exactly regal looking and seemingly far less capable all around than in the books.

Last edited:

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Among other things I liked the casting for Thufir, that's how I'm going to imagine him from now on. Less impressed by Jessica - not exactly regal looking and seemingly far less capable all around than in the books.
Well, I got the exact opposite impression...

Thufir does not do pretty anything, all the traitor deception story line from the book has been removed. Make no mistake, I am not against the actor, it is that he is barely in the film.
On the other hand, Rebecca Ferguson did a splendid job IMHO, also Momoa did a very good job, his Duncan is solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Well, I got the exact opposite impression...

Thufir does not do pretty anything, all the traitor deception story line from the book has been removed. Make no mistake, I am not against the actor, it is that he is barely in the film.
On the other hand, Rebecca Ferguson did a splendid job IMHO, also Momoa did a very good job, his Duncan is solid.
I'm more about the casting in these two cases I mentioned. Yes, they cut a whole lot of stuff, some of it really puzzling since it does change the overall narrative. I'm not against cutting per se - but then why add things like the scene outside next to the palmtrees? Could have been used to flesh out Yueh instead. Beats me.

As I said, it's no Fellowship - it's one interpretation of the book - not THE ONE.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
As I said, it's no Fellowship - it's one interpretation of the book - not THE ONE.
Well a lot better than what we got so far...a very good film, not perfect, but very very good.

I'm not against cutting per se - but then why add things like the scene outside next to the palmtrees? Could have been used to flesh out Yueh instead. Beats me.
World building to appeal to the book nerd IMHO. The particulars of bull fighting for example (the trophy, the statuette, the lines of dialogue between paul and his father), the flaming palm trees, the whip of Beast Rabban, the analogic controls and gauges of the ornithopters (computer and AI are taboo, banned in universe since the butlerian jihad) are all references for the book nerds, like myself.

But, for example, I would have preferred more insight on the Mentats both Thufir and Piter, on the guild navigators, on the Suk doctors, ecc. ecc.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Navigators are kind of a mystery at this point in the story from what I recall - pretty sure its the spice trance that reveals their true nature to Paul.

Reactions: ugru

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Very interesting, they scripted and filmed the banquet scene, but then decided to cut it...

FCZLj-qXMAcNuXU

Well, I am going to buy the extended Blu-Ray version as soon as it is out...

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
And now I can go see it. I wasn't going if they didn't greenlight the sequel. Warner Bros. man. Is there anything they can't make overly difficult?

Reactions: rhett7660

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
They must have been at work for a while now with preproduction, script, casting decisions and so on if they are confident they can really hit a release date only two years from now.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It almost makes you wonder if they weren't going to greenlight it anyway.

They probably could have saved a few dollars if they allowed him to shoot them together since they now have to go back and build items again, if they didn't keep them, and there might be some issues with contracts etc, unless they already nailed those down before hand.

I am just glad the second movie is going to be made! Very happy with that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.