Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I feel like it’s being missed on this thread that these pre-order threads (or hopefully now ‘pre-release’) are not just to post single statements like ‘I got this one’ etc. it’s to share and discuss with people all the hints, tips, discounts, local availability of accessories, and more with fellow members. This HAS to be localised. It cannot work on a global scale. And it HAS been working for X amount of years on this very site. Even on this thread the issue is about the owner of the thread - which quite frankly is such a minuscule issue. We in the U.K. will ALWAYS concede this to JinJin because we value what that brings to the community spirit.

If this FORUM can’t understand that then quite frankly it can’t call itself a forum. Just become some kind of ‘message board’ and be done with it. Community is what drives this. Don’t lose that in some pursuit to blindly follow arbitrary rules. We are trying to come to a compromise and if you’re not at least trying to engage in that, then we won’t get anywhere.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Definitely thirsty thursday up in here.

can-have-some-fun-thirsty-meme.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Silverstring

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I feel like it’s being missed on this thread that these pre-order threads (or hopefully now ‘pre-release’) are not just to post single statements like ‘I got this one’ etc. it’s to share and discuss with people all the hints, tips, discounts, local availability of accessories, and more with fellow members. This HAS to be localised. It cannot work on a global scale. And it HAS been working for X amount of years on this very site. Even on this thread the issue is about the owner of the thread - which quite frankly is such a minuscule issue. We in the U.K. will ALWAYS concede this to JinJin because we value what that brings to the community spirit.

If this FORUM can’t understand that then quite frankly it can’t call itself a forum. Just become some kind of ‘message board’ and be done with it. Community is what drives this. Don’t lose that in some pursuit to blindly follow arbitrary rules. We are trying to come to a compromise and if you’re not at least trying to engage in that, then we won’t get anywhere.
The problem is entitlement. Plain and simple. Arguments were thrown in, "Just because XYZ has done it always". No, what if another user does it better? You'll never know cause you are stuck within an entitled base. Again, that is why these types of threads need to be made by mods and have the first, second and third post be made Wikis.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
The problem is entitlement. Plain and simple. Arguments were thrown in, "Just because XYZ has done it always". No, what if another user does it better? You'll never know cause you are stuck within an entitled base. Again, that is why these types of threads need to be made by mods and have the first, second and third post be made Wikis.

NO!

These threads have NEVER been made by Mods - period.

Look at all the other iPhone pre-release threads over the past 10 years, not one has been started by a Mod. So why bring in this rule now?

It. Makes. Zero. Sense.

At the end of the day - we just want to be aloud to have a UK thread about the 'potential' new iPhone that may or may not be coming out this year.

It really doesn't matter who starts it (as long as it is a user and not a Mod! No offence!!!)......

Last edited:

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Do you generally take part in these threads? Genuine question because if you don’t take part then I feel that your opinion is not informed by qualitative data but rather what you feel is the right thing here. I’m not sure what your horse is in this race.

And I just want to point out that generally the point of ownership of threads is a minor issue that can be addressed. All that remains, for now, is for the mod team and admins to respond to our request of renaming the threads so they’re no longer pre-order threads. See - we’re willing to compromise. We always have FUN in these threads and it’s an amazing time. All we’re asking from MR - please don’t ruin that.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
NO!

These threads have NEVER been made by Mods - period.

Look at all the other iPhone pre-release threads over the past 10 years, not one has been started by a Mod. So why bring in this rule now?

It. Makes. Zero. Sense.
Because of the infighting over who gets to make them. If people can't agree, then take away the mega-thread. After all, that's what being discussed here.

Reactions: KaliYoni

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Do you generally take part in these threads? Genuine question because if you don’t take part then I feel that your opinion is not informed by qualitative data but rather what you feel is the right thing here. I’m not sure what your horse is in this race.

And I just want to point out that generally the point of ownership of threads is a minor issue that can be addressed. All that remains, for now, is for the mod team and admins to respond to our request of renaming the threads so they’re no longer pre-order threads. See - we’re willing to compromise. We always have FUN in these threads and it’s an amazing time. All we’re asking from MR - please don’t ruin that.
I did, in the past when other users made them (back in vBulletin days). I stopped as I simply started to buy my iPhone outright full priced.

Discussions were centered back then on 2-year contracts, ETFs, Selling to others, new upgrade schemes, which carrier made sense where and the like. Back then, no one care who made the mega-thread and I remember several users made them. Now? It is an entitlement it seems, and that has to stop which is why a mod should make it and let it open as a wiki.

The thread is updated with new info every year and the fight of who owns the mega-thread ends.

I stopped as I simply started to buy my iPhone outright full priced.
I buy my iPhones outright full priced every year now and that has not stopped me starting a thread or commenting and helping others what type of iPhone/device is best suited for them. That should not be the reason why you should stop participating.

Might be thinking about purchasing TWO iPhones this year. Of course for that we need an a new thread because I need help with which colors to go with. :p

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I addressed this in the second part of my post.

Just waiting on a response from MR now to the compromise that’s been put forward.
Agreed. For my viewpoint, I find it better to have one universal thread for all future iPhones be made by a mod. Then just let the first post be a Wiki and users can add into it relevant or updated info.

Reactions: KaliYoni

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
Because of the infighting over who gets to make them. If people can't agree, then take away the mega-thread. After all, that's what being discussed here.

am I missing the 'in-fighting'? I completely agree no one entitled to create a particular post... if it meets the criteria allowed then lets get going!

again, the UK specific thread has been going 11 years

2021 I iPhone 13/13Pro here
2020 - iPhone 12/12Pro here
2019 - iPhone 11/11Pro here
2018 - iPhone Xs/Xs Max/Xr here
2017 - iPhone X/8/8+ here
2016 - iPhone 7/7+ here
2015 - iPhone 6s/6s+ here
2014 - iPhone 6/6+ here
2013 - iPhone 5s/5c here
2012 - iPhone 5 here
2010 - iPhone 4 here

yes, I've created a few of those over the last few years but before me there were others who did and hopefully others will in the future..

the issue for us on this side of the pond has been the removal of a thread we all love contributing too... there's been no infighting, no conflict just a large group of enthusiasts really keen to discuss all the things few do annually over the years, in build up to the new phone launch.

I honestly feel this has all been blown way out of proportion (god bless the internet and forums!)... we just want to get back to what we enjoy about being a Mac Rumors member!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I buy my iPhones outright full priced every year now and that has not stopped me starting a thread or commenting and helping others what type of iPhone/device is best suited for them. That should not be the reason why you should stop participating.
I find it useless to participate and give advice to situations which I am not familiar with. How can I give advice on how too buy a phone through XYZ financial service when I am not using said service? In the past I made no such reservations as people bought thru their carriers or Apple locked-in to carriers.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Then just let the first post be a Wiki and users can add into it relevant or updated info.
That wouldn’t work. If you follow the U.K. one (at least I can speak to that one more specifically) you’ll understand why. To’ing and fro’ing is what makes the community. Please just let the mods respond. It’s clear you don’t contribute to these threads (anymore) so why are you so dead-set on forcing your opinion on something that doesn’t impact you, at all?

How can I give advice on how too buy a phone through XYZ financial service when I am not using said service?
This is exactly where other team member's chime in and they start helping each other out. It's all a team work and collaboration. There is nothing more to it. But again, you have to engage and participate.

Reactions: CaptMarvel

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
am I missing the 'in-fighting'? I completely agree no one entitled to create a particular post... if it meets the criteria allowed then lets get going!

again, the UK specific thread has been going 11 years

2021 I iPhone 13/13Pro here
2020 - iPhone 12/12Pro here
2019 - iPhone 11/11Pro here
2018 - iPhone Xs/Xs Max/Xr here
2017 - iPhone X/8/8+ here
2016 - iPhone 7/7+ here
2015 - iPhone 6s/6s+ here
2014 - iPhone 6/6+ here
2013 - iPhone 5s/5c here
2012 - iPhone 5 here
2010 - iPhone 4 here

yes, I've created a few of those over the last few years but before me there were others who did and hopefully others will in the future..

the issue for us on this side of the pond has been the removal of a thread we all love contributing too... there's been no infighting, no conflict just a large group of enthusiasts really keen to discuss all the things few do annually over the years, in build up to the new phone launch.

I honestly feel this has all been blown way out of proportion (god bless the internet and forums!)... we just want to get back to what we enjoy about being a Mac Rumors member!
I saw all those. The thread hasn't been declared banned. It was just removed as the timing is 3 months early. Mods and Admins made it clear that once the device and pre-orders are announce you can make the thread again.

Also, you can copy/paste the info from the thread in the wasteland or the iPhone 13 UK's thread info. Nothing has been lost. Just don't preemptively grab a thread this early. That's the point.

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Agreed. For my viewpoint, I find it better to have one universal thread for all future iPhones be made by a mod. Then just let the first post be a Wiki and users can add into it relevant or updated info.
I disagree.

Posts in these threads moves at lightening speed weeks before keynote and all the useful info regarding deals discount trade ins etc will get buried which in my opinion defeats the purpose of having these threads

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
That wouldn’t work. If you follow the U.K. one (at least I can speak to that one more specifically) you’ll understand why. To’ing and fro’ing is what makes the community. Please just let the mods respond. It’s clear you don’t contribute to these threads (anymore) so why are you so dead-set on forcing your opinion on something that doesn’t impact you, at all?
Why wouldn't a Wiki Post work? It's user editable and hence new information could be added as it's available or modified if an event from a UK carrier happens.

Why have it as a closed post?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I disagree.

These threads/post moves at lightening speed weeks before keynote and all the useful info regarding deals discount trade ins etc will get buried which in my opinion defeats the purpose of having these threads
Then make it a Wiki and have the community chime in. Why is it that the thread has to be closed off to the owner?

• Wow
Reactions: Dino F
I saw all those. The thread hasn't been declared banned. It was just removed as the timing is 3 months early.
Last year 2021 iPhone Pre Order thread started back in July. The year before 2020 it started back in August. They have always manage to start early. We never had any issues before. To be honest with you everyone was very thankful a such thread exist. This year should be no different in my opinion.

Reactions: Saladin12

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Last year iPhone Pre Order thread started back in July. The year before it started back in August. They have always manage to start early. We never had any issues before. To be honest with you everyone was very thankful a such thread exist. This year should be no different in my opinion.
Well, the mods explained it why. It was a fluke they are correcting. Nothing more. Right now, what are you going to discuss? Inexistent payment options as the device hasn't been announced? No. Wait until it's released, and it's a sentiment I can get behind by.

Well, the mods explained it why. It was a fluke they are correcting. Nothing more. Right now, what are you going to discuss? Inexistent payment options as the device hasn't been announced? No. Wait until it's released, and it's a sentiment I can get behind by.
It was a fluke for the last 11 years or so? We are discussing all the rumors/spatulations and reports. Check out iOS 16 threads. It's not even out in public but we have live threads open for those. IOS 16 is not suppose to be out till September. Yet, we are talking about the software features everyday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.