Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
John C. Dvorak™ time!

Time for MacRumors to give him page views. I'll agree that MacWorld in general has been lackluster since the Intel Macs of 2006. I didn't expect slow sales of iPhones though.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I like this part:

"This only works when the laptop has as much or more capability than a desktop. The MacBook Air does not."

I'd like to see a laptop with more power than a MacPro!

Regards,

C

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
He may be generally negative toward Apple, but I have to agree with one things and that's that there isn't much new about the MBA. It's just beautiful and light. And thin. But what else? The only thing really is gestures and that's cool, but compared to what fingerworks used to make, it's nothing.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
He needs to think thinks over more before writing an article like that. The MBA will be a HIT, PERIOD. Stock down, hmm been expected. Product announcements don't bring stock up on the possibility of recession.

Vtorch

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
I like this part:

"This only works when the laptop has as much or more capability than a desktop. The MacBook Air does not."

I'd like to see a laptop with more power than a MacPro!

Regards,

C

The year is 2008.....NOT 1998 or even 1988.

Haven't you heard? It is a fact that laptops have outsold and are still outselling desktops. A laptop these days needs more power, power, POWER.

Dvorak is right.

Only professional media people or tech-geeks buy the very expensive MacPro. I am sure the total population of those people in the world are in between 0-1%.

Remember, people not just want laptops, they want desktop replacements. For an severly underpowered and underfeatured, but nice looking Macbook Air.....like I said, Dvorak is right.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
The year is 2008.....NOT 1998 or even 1988.

Haven't you heard? It is a fact that laptops have outsold and are still outselling desktops. A laptop these days needs more power, power, POWER.

Dvorak is right.

Only professional media people or tech-geeks buy the very expensive MacPro. I am sure the total population of those people in the world are in between 0-1%.

Remember, people not just want laptops, they want desktop replacements. For an severly underpowered and underfeatured, but nice looking Macbook Air.....like I said, Dvorak is right.

What you said is not what he said... so to speak.

C

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
Huh??? Now that's funny.

So explain why the Apple stock plummet before and after Macworld.

Ok... Global markets have fallen sharply on fears of recession in the US. What makes you guys think that Apple shares would be immune to this?

C

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK

I think this is an utterly useless statement. Apple offers these laptops. Its impossible to provide a light weight with those features. If you want a desktop replacement you can buy one from Apple. Have you heard of the MacBook, and MacBook Pro?

This is not meant for that market... How many times do people have to explain this?

All the MacBook Air has done is to add one more option to Apples already supreme range of laptops.

Regards,

C

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
as usual (lately) Dvorak missed the point. The AirBook is not designed as a primary box. It's a comfortable second box for those who travel or want to carry a limited load. ;)

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
Huh??? Now that's funny.

1) If the drop happened before MacWorld, wouldn't it be logical to surmise that MacWorld had little to do with it?

2) The stock was down before and after MacWorld, but the "plummet" didn't occur until Apple put out an earning forecast ~15% lower than what the market expected. This happened a full week after SJ's keynote.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
1) If the drop happened before MacWorld, wouldn't it be logical to surmise that MacWorld had little to do with it?

2) The stock was down before and after MacWorld, but the "plummet" didn't occur until Apple put out an earning forecast ~15% lower than what the market expected. This happened a full week after SJ's keynote.

Yes, thank you. It's also worth keeping in mind that the markets are often fueled by emotion -- if you try to figure out why things happens over the short term, you'll go nuts. More often than not, it makes no sense. If you think about it, the concept that AAPL fell in the toilet because Steve Jobs announced a slim laptop is nothing short of ludicrous.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
the underlying assumption here is that thin is more important than additional USB ports, ethernet port, dvd drive and removable battery. If you agree with that, then maybe this is the computer for you. But I still think Apple made a big mistake PERCEPTION-wise by not including an ethernet port and at least two USB ports. These are things that people use all the time and need on the road. If this were priced at $999, it would be fine but at $1799 it's a lot to ask of the customer to go out and buy an ethernet adapter, a superdrive and a USB hub just for some basic connectivity and features, don't you think? It's not about weight either since other manufacturers are able to squeeze a lot into a very small package. It's just about thinness, nothing else.

And then Apple calls it AIR, as if it has some kind of special wireless advantage, when in fact its wireless capabilities are the same as every other laptop out there. the only reason it's AIR is that all the other wired, and often needed, options are gone. Not very impressive in my mind.

I love it and want it because it's so beautifully designed, but it's really too much of a compromise even when I try really hard to justify it and convince myself that i could be satisfied with its limitations.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
as usual (lately) Dvorak missed the point. The AirBook is not designed as a primary box. It's a comfortable second box for those who travel or want to carry a limited load. ;)

I'll tell you right now though plenty will be using it as their primary box as many who already own entry level MacBooks too.

For me, design (comfortable use, looks better than a macbook, has a few features that are better than the macbook) and portability are two very important things.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
What, doesn't anyone care what Dvorak has to say? :eek: The man used to be such an icon in the Mac community. Oh well, kids these days...:rolleyes:

No, because he's just an annoying man that never has anything good to say about Apple. 2 years ago he said that Apple was about to drop OS X and switch over the Windows. He's an idiot and if you want to be his fanboy go right ahead. :p

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
What, doesn't anyone care what Dvorak has to say? :eek: The man used to be such an icon in the Mac community. Oh well, kids these days...:rolleyes:

No one cares what he says anymore because he's always saying something blatently stupid.

If he was ever an icon of the Mac community, it was a small black and white icon, with incorrect masking... :p

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
More to the point, Dvorak has been staggeringly wrong on a surprisingly consistent basis. According to him, Apple went out of business ten years ago.

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007

Hmmm... according to my iphone stock button, the "plummet" was before the announcement of forecasted earning:eek:

GAS

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Huh??? Now that's funny.

Before: If it was before macworld, how could macworld have affected it?

After:The fears of a recession meant the whole market went down. Not just Apple.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
It will flop...or they will update it in 6 months and make it not suck.

Either way its hilarious to listen to a keynote about something so 'thin' and not think of Deuce Bigalo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.