Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
AAPL has always been a highly volatile stock. Don't expect it to behave like the broader market. In 2007 it appreciated more than ten times faster than the broader measures of the market. It also drops faster than the broader market.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
More to the point, Dvorak has been staggeringly wrong on a surprisingly consistent basis. According to him, Apple went out of business ten years ago.
Mixed emotions about Dvorak.

One thing for sure, is he does what he does for the publicity. The more folks visit his site the more he gets paid me thinks.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
More to the point, Dvorak has been staggeringly wrong on a surprisingly consistent basis. According to him, Apple went out of business ten years ago.

As far as I can tell, his strategy is to say something wild and contentious to generate page hits. Guess that is how he makes a living. I don't read his blogs. i just read the summary on Slashdot and ignore TFA.

Was Apple stock overpriced at $200? Perhaps. Was market expectations inflated? Yes - always is. Is the US economy circling the toilet? Sure looks that way!

But... Apple have a strong product range with good margins. They have a phenomenal platform in the shape of the iPhone and the Touch upon which to build true ultra portable devices to give them a market to expand into as the iPod side of things becomes saturated. Solid growth on their computers side. Sure they ain't predicting such large growth next quarter - but Apple (through not making the quick grab for some phantom market share with a mini-tower that would have lousy margins and other such foolishness) is in far better shape than just about any other company out there.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'll tell you right now though plenty will be using it as their primary box as many who already own entry level MacBooks too.

For me, design (comfortable use, looks better than a macbook, has a few features that are better than the macbook) and portability are two very important things.

MBA will be a bomb.... it will never sell in the numbers needed to be profitable. Overpriced, underpowered, but very sexy looking. I predict apple stock will be less than $100.00 a share by next week.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Mixed emotions about Dvorak.

One thing for sure, is he does what he does for the publicity. The more folks visit his site the more he gets paid me thinks.

He drops his pants in public and people look. Such an accomplishment.

If Dvorak was posting here, he'd be called a troll.

Radio Monk33

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I like this part:

"This only works when the laptop has as much or more capability than a desktop. The MacBook Air does not."

I'd like to see a laptop with more power than a MacPro!

Regards,

C

Actually, capability =/= power. Capability is an ability to do something, ie be carried to work in a messenger bag. You can't do that with a Mac Pro.

Coatsy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
And he's just plain wrong when he says the batteries can't be removed or replaced.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
The Macbook Air is a great second machine, it's the truth.

People will moan about it not having this and that, then apple will update the Macbook Pro line with all the same spiffyness. Everyone's eyes will then shift to that and all will be right with the world.

Then the Macbook's will be updated, and so on, and so forth.

It will find it's place.

An iMac (family machine) + Macbook Air (portable machine) is a perfect combo.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
The Macbook Air is a great second machine, it's the truth.

People will moan about it not having this and that, then apple will update the Macbook Pro line with all the same spiffyness. Everyone's eyes will then shift to that and all will be right with the world.

Then the Macbook's will be updated, and so on, and so forth.

It will find it's place.

An iMac (family machine) + Macbook Air (portable machine) is a perfect combo.

Macbook air is not an ultraportable. Same footprint as MB, no one in their right mind would travel without the superdrive (what if something happens and you have to reinstall operating system). You will end up with a bag full of stuff to carry along with your "ultaportable" mac because they didn't include it in the design. Think about it:

No superdrive - System crashes when you are out of town on business are you going to chance not being able to restore the operating system?

Ethernet - Hotel with just wired internet, you need that damn external ethernet port to hook up to network, or worse yet a modem.

Small hard drive - 64 (SSD) to 80 gig??? that will fill up in about 5 minutes with current software so you will have to lug around an extra drive.

1.8 Ghz processir - most apple users change their computers every 5 to 6 years, I guarantee you will not get that kind of life expectancy from this computer.

I admit it is a nice looking machine, and a wonder to look at, but from a practical standpoint it is a bomb.

I guarantee when you travel with this thing you will be carrying more stuff than if you just bought a MB or MB Pro. Its ridiculous.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I guarantee when you travel with this thing you will be carrying more stuff than if you just bought a MB or MB Pro. Its ridiculous.

100% agree with this. When I pack a Macbook, I take the computer and the charger. When you pack an Air, you're going to need more than that if you need full functionality.

Coatsy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
100% agree with this. When I pack a Macbook, I take the computer and the charger. When you pack an Air, you're going to need more than that if you need full functionality.

Define 'full functionality' for regular travellers.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
What I don't get about Apple's thinking behind the MBA, is that if a 13" MBP had been released instead, it probably would have appealed to many of those now buying the Air, AS WELL AS those in the market for a 13" MBP (although a 13" MBP would have been heavier).

I think the MBA was an ego project for Jobs ("world's thinnest laptop").

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Macbook air is not an ultraportable. Same footprint as MB, no one in their right mind would travel without the superdrive (what if something happens and you have to reinstall operating system).

Now you are seriously exaggerating. That's ridiculous! How often are people out and about and something happens with their lappy that it requires a system reinstall? Get real! Also since you seem to act like this is all about Apple's Macbook Air you should take a good look at most of the Windows PC manufacturers, they don't give system restore discs hardly anymore.

Sony is the culprit and cheapskate that started all of this and I was afraid Apple might. When you buy a Sony the restore image is on the hard drive so if anything happens what are suppose to do? Well according to Sony they want you to restore from the image on the drive or at last resort burn your own restore disc from the image.

You can do the same with the Macbook, just create a bootable image on your Macbook or your iPod.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
Macbook air is not an ultraportable. Same footprint as MB, no one in their right mind would travel without the superdrive (what if something happens and you have to reinstall operating system). You will end up with a bag full of stuff to carry along with your "ultaportable" mac because they didn't include it in the design. Think about it:

No superdrive - System crashes when you are out of town on business are you going to chance not being able to restore the operating system?

Ethernet - Hotel with just wired internet, you need that damn external ethernet port to hook up to network, or worse yet a modem.

Small hard drive - 64 (SSD) to 80 gig??? that will fill up in about 5 minutes with current software so you will have to lug around an extra drive.

1.8 Ghz processir - most apple users change their computers every 5 to 6 years, I guarantee you will not get that kind of life expectancy from this computer.

I admit it is a nice looking machine, and a wonder to look at, but from a practical standpoint it is a bomb.

You travel with ALL your software in case your machine crashes and you have to do a clean install? Wow... there are so many troubled people out there that you never meet in your every day life! I love the internet, it really opens your eyes to the problems people have getting from morning to evening every day... :cool:

Regards,

C

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
All of this debate about the merits of the MBA is so besides the point. For one, gear-heads always seem to think that everybody selects products the same way they do. The evidence against this should be so overwhelming by now that it hardly bears mentioning. But we've heard exactly the same carping every time an Apple product is released and it doesn't have precisely the "right" set of geek specifications. Sorry boys, this product may not be for you. News flash: this doesn't mean it's a failure.

And that's the second issue. The wire-brains are trying to convince everybody who doesn't think like them that the MBA is a failure before anybody can even get their hands on one. Now, where have we heard that kind of nonsense before? You got it: just about every time Apple releases a product that doesn't include every geek-thrilling feature -- which, of course, is every time Apple releases a product. We can count how many times they've been right on a closed fist.

And finally, taking Dvorak seriously? Come on! Where have you been napping for the past 15 years?

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Now you are seriously exaggerating. That's ridiculous! How often are people out and about and something happens with their lappy that it requires a system reinstall? Get real! Also since you seem to act like this is all about Apple's Macbook Air you should take a good look at most of the Windows PC manufacturers, they don't give system restore discs hardly anymore.

Sony is the culprit and cheapskate that started all of this and I was afraid Apple might. When you buy a Sony the restore image is on the hard drive so if anything happens what are suppose to do? Well according to Sony they want you to restore from the image on the drive or at last resort burn your own restore disc from the image.

You can do the same with the Macbook, just create a bootable image on your Macbook or your iPod.

So, you are off on a business trip, the night before an important presentation and you will risk not having an optical drive in case the unforseen happens? No matter how rare, it can and will happen, and anyone with any sense would want to have the ability to reinstall something in case it gets corrupted. Be Mac OSX, be it office, be it anything. If you don't, then you are not too bright.

bogman12

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I agree with Dvorak fully. This MBA is nothing but a lightweight notebook in both physical and computing performance terms. I mean how weak are these people? How desperately do they need that 3lbs shed? Sheesh.

MacBook Air - A fashion item at best, an expensive ASUS EePC at worst.

I still shoulda bought apple stock on the day when the iphone was release.. gawd.. $85 then.. wow.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
You travel with ALL your software in case your machine crashes and you have to do a clean install? Wow... there are so many troubled people out there that you never meet in your every day life! I love the internet, it really opens your eyes to the problems people have getting from morning to evening every day... :cool:

Regards,

C

What if Office crashes, or any important piece of software? You bet I do. I carry the system disks, office disk, and a backup of any presentation that I have to give. Anything else would be foolish.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What if Office crashes, or any important piece of software? You bet I do. I carry the system disks, office disk, and a backup of any presentation that I have to give. Anything else would be foolish.

I was worried that I was promoting a stereotype, but you seem so anxious to conform to it, I am no longer concerned.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Define 'full functionality' for regular travellers.

The features present in the Macbook and/or Macbook Pro that aren't available in the Macbook Air. Take your pick: hot-swappable batteries, an optical drive, multiple USB ports, an ethernet port, etc.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory

Have you considered that maybe, just maybe, other people see a use for the MacbookAir which you don't? For me it would be a great machine. I'd have my Mac Pro at home for serious computing and could just take the Air out and about when I needed portability.

All these people who complain about the MBA seem to be incredibly narrow minded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.