Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah...so....remember how I said above I only shovel snow for the cardio, and I didn’t use a snowblower? Yeah, well this winter is posing to be a pretty big challenge (One of the highest snowfalls forecasted) and another 19 inches on the way. I picked up this little machine [Rated high/quality brand, and scored it at $600, which is somewhat cheaper than MSRP].

I mean, it still counts as cardio if I’m walking up and down a 40 foot driveway, doesn’t it? ?

View attachment 881403

Cute. It looks like a snowblower only smaller.

• Haha
Reactions: Huntn and D.T.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Cute. It looks like a snowblower only smaller.

...Yeah, I was hoping it would my lawn in the spring, but I guess it’s not multi-universal.😁

It’s a 208 CC engine. (Just a one stage), but the reviews are really good, and most are saying that it is capable of way more than it specified at. Haven’t tested it yet, but after these 20 inches incoming, that should change pretty quick to see what it’s capable of.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I thought this would be worth sharing:

Listed below is what the physical requirement would be for A ‘physical screening’ test as the first step (Of an 8 Stage process) to be hired for our agency.

The reason I’m sharing this test, is we have quite a few candidates who can’t pass this (Which is kind of alarming). I think it’s a rather basic/entry-level test. {For example: if we receive 100 applicants, less than 20% will Move On from the physical agility.}

1. Vertical Jump (higher than 11.5)
  2. Agility run-Under 23.4s
  3. 50 Sit-ups (Must complete at least 24 within a Timed minute.)
  4. Push-ups (Must complete 18 in a timed minute)
  5. 300m run in under 82s
  6. 1.5 mile run under 20 minutes
I’m not picking on anyone, we all have different physical capabilities, but this test isn’t that difficult, and as a matter fact, a lot of agencies in our area are eliminating similar physical test(s), because they’re losing ‘good candidates’.

Which leads me to this:

I’m not asking anyone to reply to this question, [it’s more rhetorical based], but do you think you think you could successfully pass that physical above? (Oh, and candidates have _more_ than a month to prepare for the physical, because note specifically what we test.)

Just something to think about.....

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
So I thought this would be worth sharing:

Listed below is what the physical requirement would be for A ‘physical screening’ test as the first step (Of an 8 Stage process) to be hired for our agency.

The reason I’m sharing this test, is we have quite a few candidates who can’t pass this (Which is kind of alarming). I think it’s a rather basic/entry-level test. {For example: if we receive 100 applicants, less than 20% will Move On from the physical agility.}

1. Vertical Jump (higher than 11.5)
  2. Agility run-Under 23.4s
  3. 50 Sit-ups (Must complete at least 24 within a Timed minute.)
  4. Push-ups (Must complete 18 in a timed minute)
  5. 300m run in under 82s
  6. 1.5 mile run under 20 minutes
I’m not picking on anyone, we all have different physical capabilities, but this test isn’t that difficult, and as a matter fact, a lot of agencies in our area are eliminating similar physical test(s), because they’re losing ‘good candidates’.

Which leads me to this:

I’m not asking anyone to reply to this question, [it’s more rhetorical based], but do you think you think you could successfully pass that physical above? (Oh, and candidates have _more_ than a month to prepare for the physical, because note specifically what we test.)

I can do it + 2 more reps no matter what!

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 4.16.59 pm.png

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Made a cantonese chicken dish. [Consisted of portabellini mushrooms, Sautéed sesame carrots, water chestnuts and added spinach.]

(It’s Amazing when you use flare in the kitchen with seasoning/quality ingredients, how easy it is to diet. Which by the way, I’m already down 11 pounds, way ahead of schedule.)

08B03EC0-C913-448E-B139-D81D86609095.jpeg

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

The 300m and 1.5mi no problem. If I had a month to prepare I could probably do the rest. :p

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Made a cantonese chicken dish. [Consisted of portabellini mushrooms, Sautéed sesame carrots, water chestnuts and added spinach.]

(It’s Amazing when you use flare in the kitchen with seasoning/quality ingredients, how easy it is to diet. Which by the way, I’m already down 11 pounds, way ahead of schedule.)

View attachment 882469

Nice!
Is pink salt better than regular iodized salt?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nice!

The more color actually in salt includes more minerals. It’s not that you just need the sodium from iodized, but you also accrue copper/magnesium/iron from Pink salt. [There’s reported something like 60-ish other minerals in pink Himalayan sea salt.]

Reactions: yaxomoxay

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nice!

Basically it's 98% sodium chloride, and 2% trace elements, there are claims there's health benefits to some of those trace elements (some of which give it the pink tint).

As a very "clean" salt, it's excellent, though non-processed salt doesn't have to be Himalayan salt, there are plenty of other sources. It's mostly just "a thing". :)
[automerge]1576260657[/automerge]
Also, some people like the slight flavor difference vs. other salt, it has a very slightly more mineral taste, I mean, I've done back and forth and it's very minimal - we have grinders of both right now.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Lately I’ve been running on the treadmill for the last two weeks, but my typical fashion is actually running outside in whatever. And I kind of miss the scenery outside versus staring at a TV running on a treadmill at the gym. That said, I decided invest in a pair of ‘Yaktrax’ for the protection/against any type of accidents outside.

These are highly rated, and are easy to slip on over your shoes to give you the necessary traction against snow and ice. [Amazon has them for next day delivery.]

FDFDFFE2-C0A9-478C-82CA-BC51C542C315.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Lately I’ve been running on the treadmill for the last two weeks, but my typical fashion is actually running outside in whatever. And I kind of miss the scenery outside versus staring at a TV running on a treadmill at the gym. That said, I decided invest in a pair of ‘Yaktrax’ for the protection/against any type of accidents outside.

These are highly rated, and are easy to slip on over your shoes to give you the necessary traction against snow and ice. [Amazon has them for next day delivery.]

View attachment 882892
I ran all winter in sometimes significant snow, and my running shoes did ok. I’m thinking these might help on ice?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Basically it's 98% sodium chloride, and 2% trace elements, there are claims there's health benefits to some of those trace elements (some of which give it the pink tint).

As a very "clean" salt, it's excellent, though non-processed salt doesn't have to be Himalayan salt, there are plenty of other sources. It's mostly just "a thing". :)
[automerge]1576260657[/automerge]
Also, some people like the slight flavor difference vs. other salt, it has a very slightly more mineral taste, I mean, I've done back and forth and it's very minimal - we have grinders of both right now.

Well said! Exactly my thoughts too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I ran all winter in sometimes significant snow, and my running shoes did ok. I’m thinking these might help on ice?

Specifically, the ‘Pro’ version I have of the Yaktrax are rated for running and walking on snow/ice. There’s thousands of reviews on these, some of these being used by long-range runners who won’t leave the house without them.

I plan on doing a five miler today and testing them out. Although the roads are pretty cleared up from a snowfall we had two days ago, I think it’s a great investment altogether if you’re an athlete that likes to run in tundra-like environments.

Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No one who lives in the tundra owns a cute single stage snow blower. 🥴

Well, they were sold out of the ‘unicorn Edition’ for the two stage, so I opted for the Ariens one stage. Heck, I even named it, that’s how much I like it.😁

[We got 26 inches last week on one day, I made two passes with it, not bad, doesn’t throw very far, but it went right through moderate-to-heavy-snow, and I shoveled the rest. No complaints, pretty quiet too.]

Oh... and that’s twice now that you commented saying my snowblower is ‘cute’, you’re starting to weird me out here.😁

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Oh... and that’s twice now that you commented saying my snowblower is ‘cute’, you’re starting to weird me out here.?

Ariens is a good brand, I think. I have one.

What can I say, yours is adorable. If I didn’t use a snow service now I’d buy one just like it for my daughter to use.

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Why does this thread have to rise to the top on a day when I don't even want to try to rationalize when and how much of what I ate. Man, in December before the solstice I can turn into a mindless eating machine sometimes. It must be some kind of throwback to prehistoric times when the only way to get through winter was layer up some blubber under the fur coats to help stay warm in the caves..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ariens is a good brand, I think. I have one.

What can I say, yours is adorable. If I didn’t use a snow service now I’d buy one just like it for my daughter to use.

Well, at least mine is not self-propelled, and I think that would take the effort away of actually putting some energy into snowblowing, but hey, my Model didn’t come with training wheels either. 😁

I do like that this model has the rubberized auger, which makes almost perfect contact with the concrete surface without leaving any snow behind. Also, this model has the electric start (Aside from the traditional pull-lever), which is even better, because we had a few days where we barely struck zero.

Why does this thread have to rise to the top on a day when I don't even want to try to rationalize when and how much of what I ate. Man, in December before the solstice I can turn into a mindless eating machine sometimes. It must be some kind of throwback to prehistoric times when the only way to get through winter was layer up some blubber under the fur coats to help stay warm in the caves..

Nice to see you in here Liz. I can relate, eating is kind of an art for me, but who doesn’t like eating? But I just started a ‘cutting diet’ two weeks ago, which the timing of the holidays makes it kind of difficult, but it’s all mind over matter.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah...so....remember how I said above I only shovel snow for the cardio, and I didn’t use a snowblower? Yeah, well this winter is posing to be a pretty big challenge (One of the highest snowfalls forecasted) and another 19 inches on the way. I picked up this little machine [Rated high/quality brand, and scored it at $600, which is somewhat cheaper than MSRP].

I mean, it still counts as cardio if I’m walking up and down a 40 foot driveway, doesn’t it? ?

View attachment 881403
Single stage? If so, not big enough. :)

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Single stage? If so, not big enough. :)

Thanks for your interest in my snowblower, but Lets stay on topic here. The reason I related/shared it to the fitness thread, was not necessarily to tackle my entire driveway with a ‘one stage’, but put a combination of where I can shovel and snow blow for the larger snow storms [Like the recent 24incher we had], as I really do enjoy the fitness aspect of shoveling (As I peppered my thoughts on that throughout this thread), as it’s a good ‘calorie burner’.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for your interest in my snowblower, but Lets stay on topic here. The reason I related/shared it to the fitness thread, was not necessarily to tackle my entire driveway with a ‘one stage’, but put a combination of where I can shovel and snow blow for the larger snow storms [Like the recent 24incher we had], as I really do enjoy the fitness aspect of shoveling (As I peppered my thoughts on that throughout this thread), as it’s a good ‘calorie burner’.
I agree shoveling is a good calorie burner, but bad for your back. It was just an observation, not making fun of you.

Off Topic: The reason I had a 2 stage blower for the 3 decades I lived in Minnesota was for convenience, when it’s dropping 1 or 2 inches a day and I wanted to get it done quickly especially for the big dumps, plus it would move the snow far away from the drive way out in the yard. If I was having to go out every day, or every couple of days and shovel I would not have been happy.

Back on topic... :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree shoveling is a good calorie burner, but bad for your back. It was just an observation, not making fun of you.

Stop making fun of me Huntn....and I know you like my cute snowblower (..Reference Gutty’s unusual attraction).😁

Off Topic: The reason I had a 2 stage blower for the 3 decades I lived in Minnesota was for convenience, when it’s dropping 1 or 2 inches a day and I wanted to get it done quickly especially for the big dumps, plus it would move the snow far away from the drive way out in the yard. If I was having to go out every day, or every couple of days and shovel I would not have been happy.

Back on topic... :)

Oh... my method? I just blow the snow in my neighbors yard, but then again, he’s in Arizona for the winter, he won’t mind.😁

Bonus tip:

From my experience, those shovels that have the ‘curved handle’, kind of have a bend into it, alleviate the back pressure when you’re shoveling. They’re awkward to use, but serve a purpose. But it’s definitely still a lower back workout.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.