Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How/are you you tracking your food? You say that you don't eat much (but apparently do), but do you know what you eat in a day/week?
I should do that. I usually skip breakfast, have a slim fast for lunch or a glass of juice and a tablespoon of peanut butter, or a hard boiled egg, then dinner, which I try to make light and a dessert. Sometimes I’ll have a snack.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I should do that. I usually skip breakfast, have a slim fast for lunch or a glass of juice and a tablespoon of peanut butter, or a hard boiled egg, then dinner, which I try to make light and a dessert. Sometimes I’ll have a snack.

You Gotta eat breakfast. When you hear others talk about ‘it’s the most important meal of the day’, it literally means _exactly_ that, it is the most important meal of the day you could have over the others. And it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to eat what someone else does, but you want the right foods (i.e. Eggs/Bananas/oatmeal), to kickstart your metabolism for the day.

I personally like egg whites/spinach and a piece of Ezekiel bread to start off. And I do you love my Keurig, which is a nice little perk to my breakfast.

Reactions: jdechko

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You Gotta eat breakfast. When you hear others talk about ‘it’s the most important meal of the day’, it literally means _exactly_ that, it is the most important meal of the day you could have over the others. And it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to eat what someone else does, but you want the right foods (i.e. Eggs/Bananas/oatmeal), to kickstart your metabolism for the day.

I personally like egg whites/spinach and a piece of Ezekiel bread to start off. And I do you love my Keurig, which is a nice little perk to my breakfast.
I was thinking that starting eating at breakfast gets me eating more per day. Does it make your metabolism kick in? Ok, I researched, apparently the answer is yes, I’ll give it a shot. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

I’m not big on breakfast. usually I will have a protein bar or shake

I was thinking that starting eating at breakfast gets me eating more per day. Does it make your metabolism kick in? Ok, I researched, apparently the answer is yes, I’ll give it a shot. Stay tuned.

what I found is that if I don’t eat breakfast, I’m so hungry by lunch that I will over eat and have way too many calories at lunch.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The concern is that caffeinated coffee may cause or contribute to high blood pressure, and that’s something new I’m dealing with, the original reason I abruptly quit coffee. My impression is it’s the caffeine.
I’m back to caffeine, but more limited than the last time. What I was doing before was drinking a 16oz cup of coffee every morning and every evening whether I needed it or not. Now, there are times, in the vicinity of dinner time, either before or after where I’m dragging and I’ll drink a cup of tea. I’m hesitant to return to coffee, but most likely on a driving trip tomorrow, I’ll have a cup of coffee when needed. ?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m back to caffeine, but more limited than the last time. What I was doing before was drinking a 16oz cup of coffee every morning and every evening whether I needed it or not. Now, there are times, in the vicinity of dinner time, either before or after where I’m dragging and I’ll drink a cup of tea. I’m hesitant to return to coffee, but most likely on a driving trip tomorrow, I’ll have a cup of coffee when needed. 👀

There’s nothing wrong with coffee. I stop at my favorite ‘coffee shop’ probably 6/out of 7 days a week, where I spend a small fortune. 😁(They have a Killer loyalty reward program for members Where my coffee is basically free for a month) , and I have a Keurig at home that I use probably twice a day at least. But where I’m very liberal, is not adding too much creamer/sugar, that’s the culprit to the added caffeine where I think the ‘guilt’ trip comes into play for some.

Anyways, anyone seen Zenny? He has decent background on coffee flavors/roasts. .

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've gotta find a much better way to measure body fat. That handheld thing is all over the place.

Those are Useless. [If it’s what I think you’re using] Essentially, You basically have to input weight/height/age/gender, hold the device in front of you for approximately two minutes (Maybe slightly less), and they are nowhere near being accurate, but it will provide a overly-broadened range of your BF% based of your characteristics.

If you haven’t had a physical in the last 12 months, schedule one, your physicians office should have a calibrated scale to give you an accurate measurement. Otherwise some local health/fitness centers have BF scales that should give you a better idea of your ratio.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
But where I’m very liberal, is not adding too much creamer/sugar, that’s the culprit to the added caffeine where I think the ‘guilt’ trip comes into play for some.

I think you mean conservative, as in, not using a significant amount / none at all, but yes, that's a big impact on coffee, when it has 500 calories of fats/sugars because of all the extra "stuff". Lookup those blended, full calorie beverages at Starbucks, it's astounding.
[automerge]1580515952[/automerge]
I've gotta find a much better way to measure body fat. That handheld thing is all over the place.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat measuring it, I think it's pretty clear when you're at various body fat, I guess I'd call them segments. Those devices measure electrical resistance, and from a table, then use a little math based on your weight and possibly other biological factors like height, age, etc. It's basically just a swag, but it at least will show you some delta between weight loss milestones.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have found the Withings Body+ scale reasonably accurate.
[automerge]1580516841[/automerge]
Regarding exercise, have running shoes becone a rip off? I ask because when I used to run I was buying good ASICS Gel shoes for about $60, that was about 4 years ago. Recently I walked into an ASICS store at an outlet mall and their deal was 1 pair of ASISC Gels for $120 frick’n dollars, second pair free. Did they recently discover some amazing new technology that justifies that kind of price? That just sounds like a scam. :confused:
Running shoes can be expensive, depending on the style and need of the shoe.

Don't go to a retail shop for running shoes, unless they happen to have the previous models on sale and you know it is a good deal. If you are a regular runner and don't have need of being specially fitted for the right shoes gait wise, runningwarehouse is a good place to find shoes on sale, as well as shoes.com, Kellys Warehouse, Amazon, Altra Running, Road Runner Sports. Runningwarehouse is my favorite as they have one of the best return policies.

Depending on how often and far you run per week and month, it is necessary to replace running shoes on a regular basis, even if they may still look and feel good.

If you need any running / gear advice, let me know. I will be glad to help. I have been an ultra runner (over 26.2 miles) for years.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't go to a retail shop for running shoes.

Gotta nitpick on you for a second BGG.

The reason I think you’re giving poor advice here, Scheels is a major retailer that I use, and there have an ‘unlimited return policy’ on their shoes, where you can bring them back with no exception date, even without the receipt (as they can look up the transaction), and will return/refund them back to you if you’re not entirely happy with the purchase. The only thing they Ask of the customer, is that the shoes are in somewhat ‘returnable condition’ without them falling apart, etc.

I don’t know about you, that’s pretty generous from a retailer and almost unheard of when it comes to returning shoes, especially when quality shoes can push north of $125 for a good pair of Brooks/Asics/New balance, etc.

On top of that, Scheels can also special order you any shoe you want if they don’t have it, which some retailers won’t even acknowledge your request for something like that.

To me, It’s the little things that go along way, even if that means you pay a little bit more in store versus online.

I know you’re an avid runner With experience with shoes, but just want to point out that retailers do have some incentives versus online shopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Gotta nitpick on you for a second BGG.

The reason I think you’re giving poor advice here, Scheels is a major retailer that I use, and there have an ‘unlimited return policy’ on their shoes, where you can bring them back with no exception date, even without the receipt (as they can look up the transaction), and will return/refund them back to you if you’re not entirely happy with the purchase. The only thing they Ask of the customer, is that the shoes are in somewhat ‘returnable condition’ without them falling apart, etc.

I don’t know about you, that’s pretty generous from a retailer and almost unheard of when it comes to returning shoes, especially when quality shoes can push north of $125 for a good pair of Brooks/Asics/New balance, etc.

On top of that, Scheels can also special order you any shoe you want if they don’t have it, which some retailers won’t even acknowledge your request for something like that.

To me, It’s the little things that go along way, even if that means you pay a little bit more in store versus online.

I know you’re an avid runner With experience with shoes, but just want to point out that retailers do you have some incentives versus online shopping.
Valid point, RP. There are a few stores like that around me, albeit they seem to be a dying breed (as it were).

When I said retail, I was speaking of Rebook, Asics, New Balance etc. I should have been more specific in my comment and stated the examples I was thinking of.

Thanks for responding.

Reactions: 44267547

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have found the Withings Body+ scale reasonably accurate.
[automerge]1580516841[/automerge]

Running shoes can be expensive, depending on the style and need of the shoe.

Don't go to a retail shop for running shoes, unless they happen to have the previous models on sale and you know it is a good deal. If you are a regular runner and don't have need of being specially fitted for the right shoes gait wise, runningwarehouse is a good place to find shoes on sale, as well as shoes.com, Kellys Warehouse, Amazon, Altra Running, Road Runner Sports. Runningwarehouse is my favorite as they have one of the best return policies.

Depending on how often and far you run per week and month, it is necessary to replace running shoes on a regular basis, even if they may still look and feel good.

If you need any running / gear advice, let me know. I will be glad to help. I have been an ultra runner (over 26.2 miles) for years.
Thanks, but I retired from running a while back, spend my exercise now in the pool and the gym. I just was curious about how shoe pricing was compared to my last purchase for running about 3 years ago.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i was working on a flooring project that was not going as planned. Finished with success but lost 10+ lbs.
Not the healthy way to loose weigh.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Diet plus Exercise are important specially for our health. Been doing weightlifting for many years. 5’10.4 at 168 lbs, slim frame, pushing 60 yrs. No hardcore bodybuilding, just for health maintenance. Exercise helps maintain a good immune system. Elderly senior people tend to slow down and lose strength. We lose muscle mass after 50 yrs that slows us down and lose strength. Weightlifting helps build muscle and hope this slows down the process of muscle loss. I prefer doing compound, free weights like Pull Ups ( full body weight ), Hanging Leg Raise, Barbell Front Squat, Back Squat as these burn more calories.

Diet is more on chicken, fish, fruits and veggies. Rarely consume red meat. Eats Bitter Gourd, Carrots, Cabbage. For fruits, my favorites are sour citrus fruits like Lemons, Oranges, Pineapples or Strawberries. I take a yearly blood tests on cholesterol, triglycerides, liver and kidneys. The fitness trainer mentioned to give importance to triglycerides blood results. Also take the Urine and Occult Blood Stool tests.

What do you think about artificial sweeteners?
Thanks!
A nutritionists told me to be careful on artificial sweeteners as they may be harmful to the kidneys. I think the Liver and Kidneys are the "Most Valuable Players" as they cannot be repaired medically. Transplant is the only option if these organs are damaged.

My Favorites
Fresh Lemon-Orange Juice with Pure Honey

Lemon-Juice.jpg

Tofu with Mixed Veggies
Tofu.jpg

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Got two containers of C4 Pre-workout blend. Trying it now for the first time (going to the gym in 30 mins). Flavor was great.
I expect nothing less than look like the Hulk within the next 28 mins...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Got two containers of C4 Pre-workout blend. Trying it now for the first time (going to the gym in 30 mins). Flavor was great.
I expect nothing less than look like the Hulk within the next 28 mins...

There was discussion on C4 pre-workout powder on a bodybuilding forum I was reading months ago, and how they (Cellucor) changed the consistency of the ingredients, and a lot of lifters were mentioning that it was upsetting their stomach, causing #2 issues, etc. Now, I can’t attest to that, but I remember C4 was _very_ popular years ago and was like the ‘go to’ pre-workout powder. But in the end, it really depends on the results that you feel it helps with the blood flow, energy levels and overall how your body reacts to it, so there really is no one sided view on this, but I just thought I’d point this out nonetheless.

That said, there’s so many pre-workout powder’s on the market, it’s literally endless. I used to using Elite-gold for a pre-work out, then I moved over to Primeval labs.

Side note:

So something interesting I learned about the pump in the gym when lifting, there’s an ingredient called Glycerolpump And some of these pre-workout powder‘s, essentially the powder is supposed to clump somewhat, Which actually helps with a more formulated pump to the muscle group that you’re working, and the saying goes in the weightlifting industry, ‘if it doesn’t clump, it doesn’t pump.’ [<— No, I didn’t make that up.]😁

Edit: Reference Photo-

63B550FE-C6E2-440D-9F32-4ED9A1512778.jpeg

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
There was discussion on C4 pre-workout powder on a bodybuilding forum I was reading months ago, and how they (Cellucor) changed the consistency of the ingredients, and a lot of lifters were mentioning that it was upsetting their stomach, causing #2 issues, etc. Now, I can’t attest to that, but I remember C4 was _very_ popular years ago and was like the ‘go to’ pre-workout powder. But in the end, it really depends on the results that you feel it helps with the blood flow, energy levels and overall how your body reacts to it, so there really is no one sided view on this, but I just thought I’d point this out nonetheless.

That said, there’s so many pre-workout powder’s on the market, it’s literally endless. I used to using Elite-gold for a pre-work out, then I moved over to Primeval labs.

Side note:

So something interesting I learned about the pump in the gym when lifting, there’s an ingredient called Glycerolpump And some of these pre-workout powder‘s, essentially the powder is supposed to clump somewhat, Which actually helps with a more formulated pump to the muscle group that you’re working, and the saying goes in the weightlifting industry, ‘if it doesn’t clump, it doesn’t pump.’ [<— No, I didn’t make that up.]?

Edit: Reference Photo-

View attachment 894815

Re C4: Man, it made a difference. I mean, in all honesty I can't tell you if it's just a random event, or if it's placebo, but yesterday I really felt more pumped and with much more energy. According to the Strong app I lifted about 10%-15% more weight (in total volume) than ever, depending on the exercise. Granted, I am not a power lifter by any means and you'd probably laugh at what I lift, but I definitely felt snappier and stronger. Interestingly enough I also felt more focused. My 90mins session felt much and I was "in the zone" virtually the entire time. Physically… there was really no negative reaction. No bathroom issues, and just a small tingling sensation on my arms for less than five minutes. Now, one session ain't enough to judge the product, so I'll keep updating you. Sidenote: taste is good!!

Re Glycerolpump never heard of it. Do you notice a difference?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Re C4: Man, it made a difference. I mean, in all honesty I can't tell you if it's just a random event, or if it's placebo, but yesterday I really felt more pumped and with much more energy. According to the Strong app I lifted about 10%-15% more weight (in total volume) than ever, depending on the exercise. Granted, I am not a power lifter by any means and you'd probably laugh at what I lift, but I definitely felt snappier and stronger. Interestingly enough I also felt more focused. My 90mins session felt much and I was "in the zone" virtually the entire time. Physically… there was really no negative reaction. No bathroom issues, and just a small tingling sensation on my arms for less than five minutes. Now, one session ain't enough to judge the product, so I'll keep updating you. Sidenote: taste is good!!

Re Glycerolpump never heard of it. Do you notice a difference?

Glycerolpump is just an ingredient to aid in the extremity of the pump (A.k.a Blood flow for those who are unaware) I have noticed a difference, but everybody’s body composition is different on how they may react to it, and some may say it doesn’t work and others may say it does exactly what it’s intended to do to the muscle group that you’re working.

Side note:

I don’t use any stimulant formulas, I only use ‘non-stim’. Some of these pre-workout powders have a ridiculous amount of caffeine anhydrous (Like 350mg <—That’s insane and totally unsafe.) If I want to add any type of stimulant, just a cup of coffee before the gym and that’s all I need.

But more importantly, if you’re working the muscle group correctly and consistently, you should have a pump no matter what without pre-workout formula. You have to keep your intensity high and really focus on the contraction of squeezing that blood flow into the muscle group, and you will see a difference even without a pre-workout formula. The pre-work pre-workout formula is nothing more than a supplement to help assist with the blood flow.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Glycerolpump is just an ingredient to aid in the extremity of the pump (A.k.a Blood flow for those who are unaware) I have noticed a difference, but everybody’s body composition is different on how they may react to it, and some may say it doesn’t work and others may say it does exactly what it’s intended to do to the muscle group that you’re working.

Side note:

I don’t use any stimulant formulas, I only use ‘non-stim’. Some of these pre-workout powders have a ridiculous amount of caffeine anhydrous (Like 350mg <—That’s insane and totally unsafe.) If I want to add any type of stimulant, just a cup of coffee before the gym and that’s all I need.

But more importantly, if you’re working the muscle group correctly and consistently, you should have a pump no matter what without pre-workout formula. You have to keep your intensity high and really focus on the contraction of squeezing that blood flow into the muscle group, and you will see a difference even without a pre-workout formula. The pre-work pre-workout formula is nothing more than a supplement to help assist with the blood flow.

Absolutely. What matters in the end is being consistent, always trying to improve, and do the work. The rest is just to facilitate things a little bit.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Interesting post. The problem is what exactly is healthy eating. We're the most confused species on the planet when it comes to nutrition. As someone once said "only humans and animals fed by humans struggle with weight." It's a very thought provoking observation.

I went through a years long exploration of proper diet. What are we designed to eat. If we compare our digestive system to other species, we clearly resemble herbivores. Psychologically we seem to have some aversion to blood, guts and raw meat. On the other hand, our ability to digest animal products and the fact that our brains require enzymes and proteins found almost exclusively in meat suggests we're likely omnivores. Our brain is mainly made up of cholesterol, although we produce it in our body and, as I believe, we are quite well adapted at digesting external fat.

I'll spare you guys the rest, but I really got into it. In the end, I believe we have evolved to eat plant based and adapted to eat animal products, as our species developed a need for concentrated caloric and nutrition values, likely associated with the need to support a healthy brain development. That's just my opinion.

Therefore, I would argue we should eat a balance of whole plants diets, including nuts, with addition of quality fats and unprocessed meats. Avoid processed food, artificial sources of sugar and avoid or significantly limit complex carbohydrates such as bread, grains, etc.

In short, hunter/gatherer approach to diet.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Interesting post. The problem is what exactly is healthy eating. We're the most confused species on the planet when it comes to nutrition. As someone once said "only humans and animals fed by humans struggle with weight." It's a very thought provoking observation.

I went through a years long exploration of proper diet. What are we designed to eat. If we compare our digestive system to other species, we clearly resemble herbivores. Psychologically we seem to have some aversion to blood, guts and raw meat. On the other hand, our ability to digest animal products and the fact that our brains require enzymes and proteins found almost exclusively in meat suggests we're likely omnivores. Our brain is mainly made up of cholesterol, although we produce it in our body and, as I believe, we are quite well adapted at digesting external fat.

I'll spare you guys the rest, but I really got into it. In the end, I believe we have evolved to eat plant based and adapted to eat animal products, as our species developed a need for concentrated caloric and nutrition values, likely associated with the need to support a healthy brain development. That's just my opinion.

Therefore, I would argue we should eat a balance of whole plants diets, including nuts, with addition of quality fats and unprocessed meats. Avoid processed food, artificial sources of sugar and avoid or significantly limit complex carbohydrates such as bread, grains, etc.

In short, hunter/gatherer approach to diet.
As a society, we are much less active (especially as kids) then we were 60 years ago before kids had portable computers to entertain them. Before then it was get outside, watch TV all day or gasp, read a book! Outside had an appeal that was hard to compete with until the escapism, communication, and portability that electronic devices acquired. ;)

For myself I started out as a chubby kid (not obese/fat) when I was in my teens, 20-30s up to 40, running was my savior, a healthy weight (actually lean and mean) was achieved by three 45 min runs a week, and then my body undermined me by aging, bastardo! ;)

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
This is quite simple - energy balance. Take too much in and you’ll struggle with weight.

To some extent, yes. Overall, I agree... but here is a lot more to it. People on low carb diet, for example, dramatically increase their caloric intake and still lose weight because the body's metabolic process changes from burning carbohydrates for fuel to burning ketones. Insulin production drops, glucagon levels go up and the body's concentration of fatty acids increases to essentially produce glucose from fat, including stored body fat.

On the other hand, diet low in fat and high in sugars (carbohydrates and simple sugars) causes an increase in insulin production, which in turn helps the body metabolize carbohydrates into either energy or through lipogenesis into fat. It's almost like the opposite of the ketogenic state. It's easy to see what happens when you don't expend enough energy in this scenario.

So, the relationship between energy intake and output is far more complex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.