Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I’ve been experimenting with shrooms lately....😁

Literally, I’ve been putting mushrooms on almost everything in terms of chicken/eggs, mixed in with my rice, etc. I made some ‘Cajun mushrooms’ (Just your simple white button mushrooms), adding a slight amount of sea salt, add the chili powder, Cajun powder and black peppercorn. Huge difference in terms of amping the flavor. [And yes, mushrooms have excellent nutritional value.]

9E3E3A2D-D4BC-40C1-BAEB-C50A5C07CDB9.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So I’ve been experimenting with shrooms lately....?

Literally, I’ve been putting mushrooms on almost everything in terms of chicken/eggs, mixed in with my rice, etc. I made some ‘Cajun mushrooms’ (Just your simple white button mushrooms), adding a slight amount of sea salt, add the chili powder, Cajun powder and black peppercorn. Huge difference in terms of amping the flavor. [And yes, mushrooms have excellent nutritional value.]

View attachment 883434
I love my mushrooms sautéed in butter which gives them the rubbery texture. I don’t really appreciate them raw. When I prepare spaghetti sauce, I buy a container of fresh mushrooms, instead of relying on the little bottle of pre-cooked mushrooms that we used to buy.

So how do you prepare them, sprinkle the ingredients onto them?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Justin Bieber figurine.

Seriously? Dude, he’s so yesterday. Everyone and their grandmother knows that.😁 It’s all about Shawn Mendes now.

I love my mushrooms sautéed in butter which gives them the rubbery texture. I don’t really appreciate them raw. When I prepare spaghetti sauce, I buy a container of fresh mushrooms, instead of relying on the little bottle of pre-cooked mushrooms that we used to buy.

So how do you prepare them, sprinkle the ingredients onto them?

Oh how I wish I could use butter in my diet right now. But it’s a no_no.😁

I lightly coat the pan in Olive oil spray, low heat, season with said Cajun/garlic spices, <flip>, then repeat on other side, they cook for about 10 minutes. The longer you cook, they’ll expel more water/shrink.

I usually cook two tubs at a time, that will last me 3/4 days. Once their fully cooked, the refrigeration life is about five, maybe six-ish days max.

With White button mushrooms, they’re a solid food accessory for how little they cost.

My favorite mushroom is definitely shiitake mushrooms. Really unique flavor, pricey, but with the experience.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Seriously? Dude, he’s so yesterday. Everyone and their grandmother knows that.? It’s all about Shawn Mendes now.

Oh how I wish I could use butter in my diet right now. But it’s a no_no.?

I lightly coat the pan in Olive oil spray, low heat, season with said Cajun/garlic spices, <flip>, then repeat on other side, they cook for about 10 minutes. The longer you cook, they’ll expel more water/shrink.

I usually cook two tubs at a time, that will last me 3/4 days. Once their fully cooked, the refrigeration life is about five, maybe six-ish days max.

With White button mushrooms, they’re a solid food accessory for how little they cost.

My favorite mushroom is definitely shiitake mushrooms. Really unique flavor, pricey, but with the experience.
I like them all, white, shiitake, straw, etc.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I like them all, white, shiitake, straw, etc.

Not familiarized with Straw. I don’t think I’ve every come across these. [*I’ll only buy mushrooms fresh, never canned.*]

Quick Google search: Yeah, I don’t think my grocery store(s) stocks these.

Edit—

3640FB0F-8CC0-42DC-A92F-3063524BFF41.jpeg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
What's this about a little snow blower or is that some very weird and incredibly questionable euphemism for something one of you have got?

Not familiarized with Straw. I don’t think I’ve every come across these. [*I’ll only buy mushrooms fresh, never canned.*]

Quick Google search: Yeah, I don’t think my grocery store(s) stocks these.

Edit—

View attachment 883530
Those you can find marinated in any Russian or Ukrainian store. Often times it'll be slimy but that's alright. You're free to add vinegar and whatever herbs and spices you'll want to use. As for the stores, there should be enough of them in your area. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What's this about a little snow blower or is that some very weird and incredibly questionable euphemism for something one of you have got?

Haha. I bought a Ariens snowblower two weeks back, I mentioned how it be useful in assisting with some of the heavier snowfalls we’ve had versus just shoveling for cardio. Gutty thinks it’s cute and so does his daughter. He was the only one to complement me on it. 😁

Those you can find marinated in any Russian or Ukrainian store. Often times it'll be slimy but that's alright. You're free to add vinegar and whatever herbs and spices you'll want to use. As for the stores, there should be enough of them in your area. :)

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever found straw mushrooms before.

Vinegar huh? I wonder how that would taste if I fried the mushrooms to the point where they’re almost overcooked. Actually, I think a balsamic vinegar would might be interesting to fry them in. I’m trying to find different ways of making the vegetables taste good. [Being I won’t use any butter, ect.]

Side note:

Also, Zenithal, I’m assuming you were in the restaurant industry at some point, with the amount of knowledge you have on foods/ingredients/cooking preparations. Or maybe you’re just a huge ‘Foody guru’.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Most of the straw mushrooms I have eaten have been in a chicken and mushroom dish at an Asian Restaurant.

Reactions: JamesMike

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding exercise, have running shoes becone a rip off? I ask because when I used to run I was buying good ASICS Gel shoes for about $60, that was about 4 years ago. Recently I walked into an ASICS store at an outlet mall and their deal was 1 pair of ASISC Gels for $120 frick’n dollars, second pair free. Did they recently discover some amazing new technology that justifies that kind of price? That just sounds like a scam. :confused:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Haha. I bought a Ariens snowblower two weeks back, I mentioned how it be useful in assisting with some of the heavier snowfalls we’ve had versus just shoveling for cardio. Gutty thinks it’s cute and so does his daughter. He was the only one to complement me on it. 😁

I'm not familiar with that company. I don't get the joke but I haven't lived in a snowy cold area in a long time. Shoveling your own snow is seen as brave, to avoid using the word "manly" here, but not increasing the risk of a heart attack at any age is smarter. Plus, you can blow the snow onto a neighbors law whom you don't like much.

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever found straw mushrooms before.

Vinegar huh? I wonder how that would taste if I fried the mushrooms to the point where they’re almost overcooked. Actually, I think a balsamic vinegar would might be interesting to fry them in. I’m trying to find different ways of making the vegetables taste good. [Being I won’t use any butter, ect.]

Side note:

Also, Zenithal, I’m assuming you were in the restaurant industry at some point, with the amount of knowledge you have on foods/ingredients/cooking preparations. Or maybe you’re just a huge ‘Foody guru’.

It's going to be really hard to find any unique mushrooms outside of specialty markets, and even then the price reflected is not their true price. In other words, it's much like Whole Foods. I can go into their packaged produce section, snap pics of their cases and lot numbers, go to Kroger and find the same stuff from the same lot and there's a significant price difference.

Mushrooms can be overcooked. I prefer dry heat in the pan. Don't salt until you're done cooking them. They won't brown well. Dry and cleaned mushrooms plus a bit of your favorite oil whether that be olive oil or avocado oil. Cook them, brown them. Add the seasoning and salt at the end, quick toss and you're done. You can add just a thin path of butter here and there for flavor.

Nope. Never worked in the industry. Don't know a damn thing about it. I detest the "foodie" label because 90% of it is utter bull. It's all trial and error for me. When I was in Grad school I knew jack about cooking. I forced myself to learn. Checking out cooking books or buying them or watching PBS was the only way to learn other than hiring someone to teach you. The internet at that time was more or less useless.

Dried mushrooms are really useful. They can be found at Sam's or Costco, but also Asian markets. You can wash them in cold water, then rehydrate in hot water or stock. You can buy ground mushroom powder, too, which adds a nice depth of flavor. It's MSG in its most natural form.

For the balsamic, I'd drizzle on at the end. I'd really recommend avoid using straight up balsamic vinegar. You'll want to seek out a balsamic glaze, preferably one made by cooked down balsamic with plain sugar. Most of the ones in health food stores use cheaper ingredients.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
^ Regarding athletic shoes:

This is a really mixed bag in terms of what somebody chooses to spend on an ‘athletic’ shoe, it depends on what you find comfortable more than you flock to the actual brand name. Asics, New balance, Brooks, ect. Those are great name-brand athletic shoes that deliver different experiences with orthotic control, gel stiffness, corrective pronation, etc.

That said, my neighbor is a board-certified podiatrist and he has mentioned you can’t put a price on comfort when it comes to your feet, rather be if you have a job where you’re standing for long hours, an athlete, runner, etc. [And I found that to be very true], but what works for me in terms of price/comfort, may not be for someone else. I don’t care about style, I want the comfort. I purchased Brooks Ascend And Asics Gel Venture 7’s. (Discussed a few pages back). Both great shoes, but my Brooks shoes are insanely comfortable (~$170.00), where my ASICs venture series (~$80.00) has a firmer gel, but great for walking.

My point is, even though both shoes have different price points, they both serve different purposes and in the end, I don’t think about the price, I think about the comfort and orthotic support when I need it most for running/walking training/training.

Reactions: jdechko

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

This is a really mixed bag in terms of what somebody chooses to spend on an ‘athletic’ shoe, it depends on what you find comfortable more than you flock to the actual brand name. Asics, New balance, Brooks, ect. Those are great name-brand athletic shoes that deliver different experiences with orthotic control, gel stiffness, corrective pronation, etc.

That said, my neighbor is a board-certified podiatrist and he has mentioned you can’t put a price on comfort when it comes to your feet, rather be if you have a job where you’re standing for long hours, an athlete, runner, etc. [And I found that to be very true], but what works for me in terms of price/comfort, may not be for someone else. I don’t care about style, I want the comfort. I purchased Brooks Ascend And Asics Gel Venture 7’s. (Discussed a few pages back). Both great shoes, but my Brooks shoes are insanely comfortable (~$170.00), where my ASICs venture series (~$80.00) has a firmer gel, but great for walking.

My point is, even though both shoes have different price points, they both serve different purposes and in the end, I don’t think about the price, I think about the comfort and orthotic support when I need it most for running/walking training/training.

So, you’re saying not all shoes are designed the same and that fit, comfort, and performance varies. ?

• Haha
Reactions: D.T.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So, you’re saying not all shoes are designed the same and that fit, comfort, and performance varies. 🤯

Yes Gutty, but the point was made with pricing in comparison that I have two pairs of shoes are both very comfortable, but have different use cases based on what activity I’m doing. Again, you can’t put a price on comfort, even if it means spending what someone else would consider ‘too much’ for an athletic shoe. I guess what I’m saying is, don’t always look at the price tag when it comes to comfort for your feet. Case in point really.

As always, [no snark intended]—I enjoy entertaining your trivial insights on our fitness discussions.😁

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Diet cut still going strong. Down just over 20 pounds. [More to come on that later.]

Anyways, lately I’ve been on a hummus kick. I’ve been putting it on my eggs and mixing it in with spinach and grilled chicken. This is my second tub of the roasted garlic, which is amazing. (The one I don’t recommend that I didn’t like, was the roasted red-bell pepper. It has really strange after bite that I didn’t care for.)

The only downside to hummus that I can see, it has a really short shelflife in the fridge, but is such an outstanding accessory to other main-course foods.

069B2328-3A1D-422C-BF0E-F48297673251.jpeg

Reactions: Huntn

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
1/14/20
Weight: 167.7 lbs
Body Fat: 22.1%
(using bodyfat analyzer for Body Fat %; it's inaccurate af, but as long as the trend goes down for a while, I am good).

Year didn't start so well from a workout perspective due to several issues that prevented me to go to the gym for a few days, but I am doing what I can (and more). I expect things to calm down soon.

I started eating breakfast (eggs), and lunch (lentils plus protein such as tuna), and a protein bar during the day. Lifting at PM.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
1/14/20
Weight: 167.7 lbs
Body Fat: 22.1%
(using bodyfat analyzer for Body Fat %; it's inaccurate af, but as long as the trend goes down for a while, I am good).

Year didn't start so well from a workout perspective due to several issues that prevented me to go to the gym for a few days, but I am doing what I can (and more). I expect things to calm down soon.

I started eating breakfast (eggs), and lunch (lentils plus protein such as tuna), and a protein bar during the day. Lifting at PM.
How tall are you?
[automerge]1579055110[/automerge]

I used to run, and prices have appeared to have shot up substantially, and I was happy with what I had before. It makes me wonder about marketing gimmicks. :confused:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I used to run, and prices have appeared to have shot up substantially, and I was happy with what I had before. It makes me wonder about marketing gimmicks. :confused:

There still a lot of really affordable running shoes on the market where you don’t have to pay a premium. Asics makes a lower-end running shoe that starts around ~$65-$70 that would be more than adequate for someone who runs regularly.

Bust most importantly, you have to find a shoe that offers the most comfortability and that has the appropriate orthotics.

@yaxomoxay. Nice job/Give it everything you have.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There still a lot of really affordable running shoes on the market where you don’t have to pay a premium. Asics makes a lower-end running shoe that starts around ~$65-$70 that would be more than adequate for someone who runs regularly.

Bust most importantly, you have to find a shoe that offers the most comfortability and that has the appropriate orthotics.

It just irritated me when I was seeing a top dollar shoe at an outlet mall, even if it was 2 for 1, which would have been the price I normally paid for my running shoes, if I had ought 2 of them, and it seemed like $120 for a retail price of a pair of shoes was high.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
How tall are you?

5' 7"
[automerge]1579096516[/automerge]

Thanks! Absolutely! Last year's goal was losing weight and getting in the habit of going to the gym. This year's goal is losing fat and being even more serious at the gym. I just have to find the most efficient way to reach my goal in a reasonable way.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
5' 7"
[automerge]1579096516[/automerge]

Thanks! Absolutely! Last year's goal was losing weight and getting in the habit of going to the gym. This year's goal is losing fat and being even more serious at the gym. I just have to find the most efficient way to reach my goal in a reasonable way.
How old? :) I’m frustrated because I’m putting in the time, but not losing the weight. I realize this is a diet issue, but I don’t eat that much. But apparently I do. ?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
How old? :) I’m frustrated because I’m putting in the time, but not losing the weight. I realize this is a diet issue, but I don’t eat that much. But apparently I do. ?

How/are you you tracking your food? You say that you don't eat much (but apparently do), but do you know what you eat in a day/week?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.