Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Zenny, I found this amongst the hoarders today.😁 It’s not exactly ‘gourmet’, but it’s pretty freakin good. I didn’t buy the pretzel variant, I opted for ‘dark chocolate macadamia’. I’m not sure if you have this out in California or not, Definitely give it a try.

[What I like to do, is I actually throw it in the freezer for about an hour, and it enhances the flavor chilled from my perspective.]

Bonus fact:

During these times of C/19, dark chocokate is a solid antioxidant.
View attachment 899307

I love those

Reactions: 44267547

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
gym at work will be closed, I expect LA fitness to do the same very soon.
Got a few things to have a quarantine-style gym in the garage...

Adjustable Bench

Resistance Bands set

Dumbell Weight Set
(this goes up to only 25lbs... but for now it will do)

Medicine Ball (16lbs)

Exercise Mat

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
gym at work will be closed, I expect LA fitness to do the same very soon.
Got a few things to have a quarantine-style gym in the garage...

Adjustable Bench

Resistance Bands set

Dumbell Weight Set
(this goes up to only 25lbs... but for now it will do)

Medicine Ball (16lbs)

Exercise Mat
Stocked up myself a little over the weekend. Got some weights, a couple of bars and now need a bench and bench/squat rack. Will then be good for some “maintenance” gym.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yaxo, we closed both LA Fitnesses in ‘Quad city’ on Saturday. Three Golds Gyms are operating early morning hours only (Locker rooms are ‘off-use’). Otherwise, all corporate gyms have been closed as of last week.

We’re ranging at 70°, Bustin out the Charger Scat Pack to roll down the windows, hear the full cat back exhaust, while riding through the apocalyptic streets with no traffic. I guess there’s a positive to C/19.😁

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Yaxo, we closed both LA Fitnesses in ‘Quad city’ on Saturday. Three Golds Gyms are operating early morning hours only (Locker rooms are ‘off-use’). Otherwise, all corporate gyms have been closed as of last week.

We’re ranging at 70°, Bustin out the Charger Scat Pack to roll down the windows, hear the full cat back exhaust, while riding through the apocalyptic streets with no traffic. I guess there’s a positive to C/19.😁

I need to find a good way to workout without a gym and just a few tools...

rocky-4-training-montage.gif

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Zenny, I found this amongst the hoarders today.😁 It’s not exactly ‘gourmet’, but it’s pretty freakin good. I didn’t buy the pretzel variant, I opted for ‘dark chocolate macadamia’. I’m not sure if you have this out in California or not, Definitely give it a try.

[What I like to do, is I actually throw it in the freezer for about an hour, and it enhances the flavor chilled from my perspective.]

Bonus fact:

During these times of C/19, dark chocokate is a solid antioxidant.
View attachment 899307
Never seen that flavor or a macadamia. I buy that in the toasted almond from Costco. It's a large bag. I think just over a pound and at the same price as the small bag you paid for at a regular store. They had a pumpkin seed one months ago, too. It's alright. The mint dark chocolate with nut pieces is nice. I've only seen it at Target though.

LOL the freezer trick is universal. When I was sent on overseas assignment many moons ago I'd buy a bag of those fun size Snickers and throw them in a freezer of whatever hellhole I was sent to. They would be a nice treat after a long day. Unwrap, pop a frozen Snickers square in your mouth and gnaw on it.

You would have been too young at the time but when Snickers ice cream bars came out in the early 90s they were awesome.They changed sometime in the mid 2000s and have sucked since then.

I recommend trying it if you want. I'd avoid using Milkways or Twix. The former is too hard and the latter shatters at the biscuit level and makes a mess. Three Muskateers is really good frozen, too. Payday is nice frozen, too, especially if you use it as a makeshift spoon to scoop up vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Jeff Cavaliere (Athlean-X) is in my opinion one of the best fitness gurus on youtube.
Due to the Covid-19 situation he made a free video with a good home full body workout that virtually requires no tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1E5CfRfos

Jeff is an awesome dude. Not also did he help me in terms of working around some shoulder stiffness I had back when I started bodybuilding in 2018, but he’s so much more than a ‘weightlifting’ Virtual coach, he really demonstrates lots of strength/conditioning for tendon/muscle groups, accurate form/posture. He also demonstrates what not to do to avoid potential injury for those of us who are dedicated athletes. If somebody was first starting out in weightlifting or looking to become more advanced in this segment, by all means, he is a great source with weekly videos.

Also, regarding the whole ‘online workout’ classes, there’s a couple gyms in my area that are doing exactly that. I think this is great for those who obviously cannot venture to gym due to the closures, what a great way for even older ages/geriatrics to have some exercise right in their own living room without the associated risks of being in a packed gym.

• Love

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Jeff is an awesome dude. Not also did he help me in terms of working around some shoulder stiffness I had back when I started bodybuilding in 2018, but he’s so much more than a ‘weightlifting’ Virtual coach, he really demonstrates lots of strength/conditioning for tendon/muscle groups, accurate form/posture. He also demonstrates what not to do to avoid potential injury for those of us who are dedicated athletes. If somebody was first starting out in weightlifting or looking to become more advanced in this segment, by all means, he is a great source with weekly videos.

Also, regarding the whole ‘online workout’ classes, there’s a couple gyms in my area that are doing exactly that. I think this is great for those who obviously cannot venture to gym due to the closures, what a great way for even older ages/geriatrics to have some exercise right in their own living room without the associated risks of being in a packed gym.

Yep, Jeff really helped me too. Actually it's thanks to his videos that I started weightlifting as he helped me remove the "fear" of it. What I also like is that he does not push his programs that much. He might reference them once during a 20 minutes video, and sometimes he doesn't even do that. I actually remember watching one of his videos in which he says that buying his programs is not even necessary as his free online content is good enough for 90% of the people.

Yes, gyms are doing the same here. I have to find a good way to workout; stress at work is getting to me and I need some physical way to discharge it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yep, Jeff really helped me too. Actually it's thanks to his videos that I started weightlifting as he helped me remove the "fear" of it. What I also like is that he does not push his programs that much. He might reference them once during a 20 minutes video, and sometimes he doesn't even do that. I actually remember watching one of his videos in which he says that buying his programs is not even necessary as his free online content is good enough for 90% of the people.

Yes, gyms are doing the same here. I have to find a good way to workout; stress at work is getting to me and I need some physical way to discharge it.

I’ve been working from home lately, and I’m finding I actually don’t like this. I made the optional transition to do so given the circumstances, and I thought I would adapt altogether, but I don’t like it. I still can venture into the field/investigate, follow up, travel ‘to and from’, which is a nice break at any time, but I need a release Point, and I just can’t imagine sitting in office chair all day long looking at a computer monitor, it’s to monotonous and well, sitting for long periods is the enemy for health concerns. Someone else said something on a front page article earlier this week, you can’t really escape your personal life and work life when you combine everything together at home, there needs to be that ‘separation factor’, so that’s why I really am glad the weather has turned beautiful where I can move my cardio outside, plus transition the work load ‘out of the office’ per se.

Speaking of: Here is my ‘night cardio’ shared from the activity thread I participate in with some very active members, take a look-

Photo overlooking Triple tree overpass-

Seven flights of stairs continuously, and let me tell you, that’s no joke, stairs to me is some of the hardest warmer cardio you can do, really spikes the heart rate and burns the legs

5950F481-1302-47DA-8C97-C598098F5D96.png

59AC70F9-9BDA-42A5-B8A7-7F0AE131D744.jpeg

• Love

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
They use tools, but they don't create tools that create and move tools tools. facilitating life... that much. That is, they lack the ability to automate virtually all of the actions which is the leading cause of obesity.

Heh I just flashed back to the world's fattest sparrows parked in greenery along the edge of the Grace Bldg plaza in NYC, only yards from the hotdog vendor. Their toolset was all in their charm, hopping out almost into your path forward just as you walked away with too much bread around yer chilidog. They looked so sweet and vulnerable in the chill of a grey April lunch hour, aww... yeah. By mid-May they looked almost big enough to grab and grill. That wasn't fluff around their midriffs by then, it was fat!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My exercise program is done at home except for my running and it is done solo for the near future. If things get extreme with the current health situation I can always jog on my treadmill.

During the winter months, I wanted a treadmill for the indoors, as I generally only weight lift at the gym. But it would have to be one of those ‘folding’ treadmills, being I Can’t stand clutter.

I’m looking at a Peloton Bike (It’s essentially a stationary bike with an LCD monitor attached for classes/competition against other riders.) It would probably be a 2020/2021 purchase for the winter months, now that Weather has turned really nice. But I’ve heard good things about it, but it doesn’t interest me that you have to pay for these digital ‘additional classes’ to use aside from the actual purchase of the bike itself.

Reactions: JamesMike

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Looking it up now. Thanks for the suggestion. (And it’s actually cheaper than a Peloton, Perk bonus!).

Warning though, its computer isn't cool, and doesn't have those fancy virtual classes. There's a reason your first brand is what it is. It's unique.

There's a few other brands of cycles in the M3i price range. Good ones use magnetics and belts.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Warning though, its computer isn't cool, and doesn't have those fancy virtual classes. There's a reason your first brand is what it is. It's unique.

There's a few other brands of cycles in the M3i price range. Good ones use magnetics and belts.

Even better. I’m not Really interested in ‘subscription based services’, and the whole online competitive feature isn’t that appealing, but I would like to try it. I’m seriously looking at the bike that you just mentioned, it wasn’t on my radar until now.

I’m looking for some related-discussions on various user feedback, seems of high quality, but I need the customer service to be on par with the product, that’s equally, if not more important to me moving forward.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, so the Y is closed, no pool, no gym, and I went out on a 2 mile walk today. Within .21 miles I noticed a tender lower back, which stayed with me, for the rest of the walk, but actually seemed to ease up near the end of it. I’ve had degenerative disk disease, noticed since my early 40s, so I wonder if the tender lower back (more at the sides) is something that walking would help? I tend to think that walking if anything will hurt my back.

For the past weeks I tried to eat the half of everything. It did work, lost a few kg.
A while back I was advised that breakfast was the most important meal of the day, so I started eating breakfast again and gained a few pounds. Now using the theory that it’s calories that have the most effect on weight at my age (67), I’m back to skipping breakfast, drinking a Slimfast style drink for lunch and then eating a regular dinner. I lost a couple of pounds in a matter of 5 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.