Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex_K

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Came across these two 17-inch Powerbooks listed next to each other on ebay. Made me laugh!

You can probably guess which one I will be bidding on.

Attachments

• powerbook-ebay.jpg
    powerbook-ebay.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,779

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I'm constantly seeing listings like these on eBay. Caveat emptor, as usual.

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
Wow :O I bought the same exact PowerBook with 1.5GB RAM and a 160GB for €50 around 2 years ago lol

I wonder, do these ridiculous listings ever sell?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Yeah, let's turn this into a "Ridiculously overpriced PPC Macs" thread. Who knows, that €2,700 Mini might just be a prototype that has a G5 in it. :p

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-13 um 19.23.22.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-13 um 19.23.44.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-13 um 19.24.05.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-13 um 19.24.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-13 um 19.25.04.png

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
To chime in on vintage Macs on eBay, I am sure we are all aware of the guy who guts iBook G3 clamshells and puts them into horrendous cases. His prices are insane and he's been known to scoop up a lot of the clamshells and their parts that appear on eBay. I hope nobody actually buys from that guy.

Windreader

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2019
Iowa
To chime in on vintage Macs on eBay, I am sure we are all aware of the guy who guts iBook G3 clamshells and puts them into horrendous cases. His prices are insane and he's been known to scoop up a lot of the clamshells and their parts that appear on eBay. I hope nobody actually buys from that guy.
Yes! That guy absolutely drives me crazy with all of his horrendous atrocities. It really is frustrating looking for Key Lime Clamshells, or any for that matter, only to find his horribly messed up creations for sale at sky-high prices! It seriously makes me sick and I wonder who would even buy them from him for what he is charging.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
s-l1600.jpg

This the guy?

What an abomination... This is what happens when you let modern "art" infect rare strokes of genius.

If he continues to purchase innocent iBooks and resell them as defiled dumpster fires complete with preinstalled bloatware and cruft, there must be a continuous incentive. There must be at least one or two buyers for every five he pumps out, resulting in a profit. And even if there is a small margin, as long as it is sustainable, my guess is there will be no natural end to this madness.

Someone needs to contact this guy and have a good, professional talk concerning his actions' effects on not only the PowerPC community, but the value, preservation, and historical integrity of the iBook G3 Clamshell. Maybe we can find out if he is indeed finding this endeavor financially successful, and then perhaps a compromise can be struck.

Who knows what might happen... But we will if at least an attempt is made.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
View attachment 882622

This the guy?

What an abomination... This is what happens when you let modern "art" infect rare strokes of genius.

If he continues to purchase innocent iBooks and resell them as defiled dumpster fires complete with preinstalled bloatware and cruft, there must be a continuous incentive. There must be at least one or two buyers for every five he pumps out, resulting in a profit. And even if there is a small margin, as long as it is sustainable, my guess is there will be no natural end to this madness.

Someone needs to contact this guy and have a good, professional talk concerning his actions' effects on not only the PowerPC community, but the value, preservation, and historical integrity of the iBook G3 Clamshell. Maybe we can find out if he is indeed finding this endeavor financially successful, and then perhaps a compromise can be struck.

I actually think it's kinda neat :p

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Reminds me of this guy I emailed on Craigslist a while back, who was asking $300 for a PowerBook G4. :p

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.48.00 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: sparty411

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Reminds me of this guy I emailed on Craigslist a while back, who was asking $300 for a PowerBook G4. :p

View attachment 882657
I email these guys on CL whenever I see them lol. A couple years ago someone was selling an MDD on there for $300. I emailed him, politely just as you did and he basically told me to eff off. Then stated that he "already had a buyer for $300". His ad reappeared 6 months later but was still asking too much. I think he lowered it to $150 or $200. Some people will never learn.

I try to only buy macs at recycle centers, and shopgoodwill.com whenever there's an auction that hasn't turned into eBay prices. So far I've gotten three TiBooks off there, and an iBook G3 (white) that all happened to be selling from the local goodwill outlet so I didn't even have to pay shipping. The only time I entertain CL ads or FB marketplace ads is when they aren't asking ridiculous prices (I got my Mac Pro 4,1 dual CPU that's in my sig for $50 bucks on FB!)

Reactions: Slix
View attachment 882622

This the guy?

1576367968078.png

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
@TheShortTimer Make an offer for 20 pounds and watch his reaction.

@z970mp That's what I paid for my existing G5. ;)

Done. Though it appears their bottom line is £750. ?

rcfBjpW.png

HLX0bcj.png

The 6 watchers either have absolutely no idea what they're doing, or all want front row seats in the distant event that thing ever gets bought. I'm betting on the latter. :D

Make that 7! :D

• Haha
Reactions: SigEp265 and z970

EnriqueG

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2017
Got two 17-inch G4 (1GHz to be used as screen donor and a 1.67GHz 2GB RAM one) for €50 each this month.

I've seen those high priced listings, never understood who thinks it is a reasonable price.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Got two 17-inch G4 (1GHz to be used as screen donor and a 1.67GHz 2GB RAM one) for €50 each this month.

Ahem, the 17" 1GHz is much sought after as being the fastest G4 notebook to fully run OS9 natively. Use one of the later G4s as a donor instead.

EnriqueG

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2017
Ahem, the 17" 1GHz is much sought after as being the fastest G4 notebook to fully run OS9 natively. Use one of the later G4s as a donor instead.

Already did the change, no need to use Mac OS 9 right now... And if needed I have a working titanium one. Didn't know it ran OS 9, thought it only worked with Titanium models. Does it even recognize the Airport Extreme Card?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Already did the change, no need to use Mac OS 9 right now... And if needed I have a working titanium one. Didn't know it ran OS 9, thought it only worked with Titanium models. Does it even recognize the Airport Extreme Card?
No and the Cardbus slot is out of action too but Airport on OS9 is pretty useless as it is these days so I tend to use a usb WiFi dongle via ethernet to get 802.11n speeds with full WPA2 security rather than futz around with WEP. Performance is a tad better than the 1GHz TiBook with the slightly better graphics chip and RAM onboard. Plus a lot cooler and quieter without the TiBook's rattly fans.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3912.0.html

Took me a couple of years and a couple of false starts to get hold of one. 1GHz TiBooks are plentiful by comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.