Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You know, you gotta give it to some folks with their hustle, marketing themselves locally on Marketplace (which, interestingly, one can browse without having a FB account)
Doesn't seem to work for the UK. Zuckerberg insists that I sign in before proceeding.
Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 17.32.40.png

Doesn't seem to work for the UK. Zuckerberg insists that I sign in before proceeding.
View attachment 2211805

I found the MArketplace listings by running a duckduckgo search on “iMac marketplace canada”, and it took me to a direct link within Marketplace. I don’t think I was able to get past a login demand if I entered through the front door. Facebook: still undefeated in its grossness.

Curiously, when I went back and tried again, I’d scroll through the listings up to the point when XHR called the server for more listings to appear, and the screen would get covered by a “you need to log in”. So either they changed something, or else their server saw several requests from my IP and put the big nope on it.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
I am right now in my home #1.
As usual I double-checked with the local NewEgg-lookalike, it's called "IPON.HU".

If things aren't good, looking for some ebay-kleinanzeigen.de ads in Germany, Ipon.hu in Hungary, NewEgg in USA and Avito.ru in the country many of you "love to hate" or "hate to love".

Because the inflation is in double digits, Apple goofing many things up - and there is a "post-Covid special military operation" nearby, things of course aren't good. Of course, things were never good enough.

But here is a puzzle.

If I look up the sources I am familiar with (see above) - the prices seem to be allright.

But on eBay.com everyone and their cat wants to sell me some 5 year old, used and abused 60GB SSD-s for $120.
When I can buy on IPON (intentionally taking a small country with a small market and huge 27% sales tax) Western Digital Blue 250 GB SSD-s for like... $30. 27% tax included. New and with 3 year factory warranty. Picked up at the store in person.

I intentionally omitted large countries / markets or the fact that if someone has a home outside of the market area country, the sales tax is refunded. But only if the merchandise is unopened and spanking new.

Are these eBay sellers straight from a lunatic asylum?

Last edited:

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
But on eBay.com everyone and their cat wants to sell me some 5 year old, used and abused 60GB SSD-s for $120.
Are these eBay sellers straight from a lunatic asylum?
It could be that some industrial / embedded stuff requires smaller drives to boot or operate. Maybe they are targetting those clients?
Current Transcend mSATA offerings in 16 - 128 GB range, for example, aren't cheap either.

P.S. Here's another funny brand name for you 😂

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
It could be that some industrial / embedded stuff requires smaller drives to boot or operate. Maybe they are targetting those clients?
Current Transcend mSATA offerings in 16 - 128 GB range, for example, aren't cheap either.

P.S. Here's another funny brand name for you 😂
Yes, "Do Huya" is one of the best brands I know.
If you ask me: the countries where I would introduce that brand are Baltics, Ukraina, Belarus, Russia.
Fujitsu MO drives are the next: literally Ying and Yang.

But this is not bad either:

BTW: got a few these for like 10 Euro if SATA or ATA and 25 Euro if SCSI.
But maybe that one has indeed some diamonds inside.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
And how about a lens cap for $2000?
What a bargain!

I have that lens, with an earlier (original) black lens cap.
Maybe it's worth a mortgage?

Kevin Cameras is known to be rather expensive - but this is clearly over the limit.

And how about a lens cap for $2000?
What a bargain!

I have that lens, with an earlier (original) black lens cap.
Maybe it's worth a mortgage?

Kevin Cameras is known to be rather expensive - but this is clearly over the limit.

Hungry glass costs, even in ancillary ways…

1687036364197.png

Just look at that chonnnnky boi.

That’s, like, some Big Chungus-level stuff. The cap (not sure that’s actually chrome or even chromium, but definitely some kind of exposed metal) completes the set for the well-heeled collector, I reckon.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Then there’s this one — definitely not laundering so much as very wishful thinking. It’s been listed (and at least at this price, if not even higher) for over 18 months:

View attachment 2134460

View attachment 2134461

I mean, collectible, sure, but maybe for an eighth of that ask.

We're into 2024 and it remains unsold.

ZPA9I2Y.png

The price also remains unchanged. It'll never sell.

• Wow
Reactions: doctor_dog

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Here's another Classic - in both senses of the word. I suppose its got an advantage on the previous listing in that at least it's the Mk II and comparatively a bargain at £1,500 GBP or best offer when placed alongside $19,995.00 USD...

t0aHk80.png

This is interesting. :)

(I've quoted verbatim from the item description.)

The parts of the computer in good condition are:

-The Logic Board has been cleaned and recapped with tantalum capacitors,

-A new clock Battery has been added,

-the capacitors on the board for the CRT are all in good coniditon

Ok and yet...

but there are also a few things that will need attention:

-I beleive the original HDD to have died as the error pops up on the screen when it is first booted up, but goes away when a flopp disk is insterted.

Then why would you not replace the dead HDD with a new device of some sort, given the asking price for the item?

-One of the Tantalum capacitors is on but in a very dodgy way, most likely the pad is been pulled up slightly.

This is an indirect admission that they damaged the logic board during the refurbishing work.

Overall The condition is decent and wont require much work to get it in a very good state.

At £1,500 GBP everything should be taken care of. The gall of selling it at that price and informing the prospective buyer that it still requires further maintenance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.