Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
And one thing I have to confirm: using Mac OS "9" emulator (max. 9.0.2 tho) the maximum resolution I was able to "squeeze" out of Mac OS "9" was... 3840 x 2160.
I have run Mac OS 9 at 3840×2400 (WQUXGA) on real hardware (screenshot).

And I have no problem to use Snow Leopard in an insane resolution, which is far beyond any graphics card it would use natively.
I have run Snow Leopard at 4088×2880 (OMGWTF) on real hardware (screenshot).

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
A buyer can. A seller can’t, at least on eBay.de.
I mean exactly the same: for himself.
If a sellers demands from a buyer to have no neg. feedback than he is an idiot.
Because the buyer can only "collect" neg. feedback if he acts as a seller.

Than, there is very little reason for a seller to demand no neg. feedback from a buyer.
Because that feedback would have no information about buyer's payment history as a buyer.

Such demands are from a past long ago, when a buyer could receive neg. feedback.
Having this kind of demand in an auction means that the seller did not revise his conditions since eons ago, when that was possible. In other words, his auction is not being made with necessary care. So it is better to avoid such sellers.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
I have run Mac OS 9 at 3840×2400 (WQUXGA) on real hardware (screenshot).

I have run Snow Leopard at 4088×2880 (OMGWTF) on real hardware (screenshot).
That's really impressive. I have to use a modern OS as a host because of e-mail and Internet and other applications, mostly for photography. The same time graphics speed in "9" or Snow Leopard is really secondary.
So emulation should be fine. Except that "9" integration is not very good.

The biggest pain was the "Tokenizer" from Apple - but after some tweaks the one from Stefan Reinauer seem to works OK. I won't dare to post firmware generated by it until I don't test better.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
A buyer can. A seller can’t, at least on eBay.de.
Actually, I am much more on eBay.de recently.
All I have to do is to jump into that crazy Toyota Prius "V" and drive 10 miles to Wintersdorf, just across the border.

The only thing to watch for: that the "Postnummer" (the customer file number generated by German Post) is on my eBay profile with the address of the post office where the package will be picked up.

Some sellers demand that number. Otherwise I am switching to a similar place in the US, where a private freight forwarder is my "post office". Their FedEx fees to Elsaß are lower, than USPS fees.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I understood that sentence in the listing as the seller don't want buyers to leave negative feedback after buying from them. But that's also idiotic.

That was my interpretation of the listing too. They're demanding that no-one leave them negative feedback: which along with being idiotic, is a huge red flag as you mentioned earlier and basically screams "expect problems in any transaction with me!"

So it is better to avoid such sellers.

Definitely and at £60 GBP that MacBook Air isn't the deal of the century that they appear to imagine. I bought the same model under the "for parts or not working" category for £40 GBP and it included a Thunderbolt cable and a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, plus the seller obliged me with information that helped me to establish that it could be restored to full working order with a new battery and an SSD. Which is exactly what happened. :)

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
That was my interpretation of the listing too. They're demanding that no-one leave them negative feedback: which along with being idiotic, is a huge red flag as you mentioned earlier and basically screams "expect problems in any transaction with me!"

Definitely and at £60 GBP that MacBook Air isn't the deal of the century that they appear to imagine. I bought the same model under the "for parts or not working" category for £40 GBP and it included a Thunderbolt cable and a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter, plus the seller obliged me with information that helped me to establish that it could be restored to full working order with a new battery and an SSD. Which is exactly what happened. :)
The only reason that listing would be interesting are the parts.
The only MacBook Air I am interested is from 2015 and it's only because my wife dropped her and it looks ugly.
But it still works, so not a big headache.

These notebooks are great because you can use regular NVMe drives with a cheap adapter.
The only thing what does not work properly is the "hibernation" and I am not sure, why.

Apple never provided anyone with the information about what is necessary to support hibernation.
Otherwise can use NVMe drives straight from Leopard on G5, so getting a largish drive for the "Black Cylinder" or any of our MacBook Air-s is easy.

Starting with MacPro 4.1 it's bootable as well. I did not touch NVMe few years, but I remember that supporting "Tiger" was not trivial, it lacks some API-s to allocate certain memory properly.

I don't think there is any reason I could not do NVMe for "9", but precisely for that reason "beige" and pre-8.6 support is more trouble. Further, the only NVMe drive which has option ROM (so I can create NVMe Open Firmware boot) was Samsung 950 Pro.

An other option would be to use a "daughter PCI" / "daughter PCIe" / "daughter PCI-X" card where I can store the NVMe Open Firmware and release it upon a discovered NVMe drive.

Such card has to have a really big ROM. The best "host" is VIA6421A (with very large ROM), Silicon Image 3124, Silicon Image 3132, etc.

People look funny when they see my 2013 MacBook Air booting "Maverics" from NVMe.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I understood that sentence in the listing as the seller don't want buyers to leave negative feedback after buying from them. But that's also idiotic.
No. It made perfect sense to me but was very poorly phrased. What the seller meant was, "I am selling this dead equipment for parts. Untested/tested dead/whatever but for parts only. Do not buy these to test for yourself and then think of returning them when they fail testing. Above all, do not buy and then leave me negative feedback because what you bought does not work and is only suitable for spare parts."

I know the seller has used the "untested" line but has been fair enough to state clearly "for parts only". This may sucker in a few naive people who think they may somehow fix the unfixable but they cannot say that they haven't been warned.

Reactions: m1maverick

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
Are you referring to NVMe SSDs here, or earlier PCIe SSDs that use AHCI? AHCI SSDs work OOTB in Leopard. NVMe’s don’t.

NVMe or AHCI? An NVMe driver for Mavericks would be cool.
NVMe of course. I reach over 700 MB/Sec on PPC G5.

Maverics is fine, everything up from Snow Leopard.
The "9" will be probably fine, too - but for the life being simple I need MP library.
Which AFAIK is available in the New World ROM image.
I am not sure, there is any "beige" machine with multiprocessing library in the ROM.

But I can't boot any Open Firmware computer or pre-MacPro-4.1 (yet).

All that was done years ago, before COVID.
Why it wasn't sold all over the world with huge success and a lot of money in the pocket of my than-employer?

a) because it largely using my previous code. My than-employer probably was confused and maybe was just a cheap skater to buy that code or or even somehow monetarily appreciate it. Probably good so: at least it's mine and will remain so.

b) because my than-employer was / and still is quite incompetent. Their name should be a secret...🤣

While I was tuning that code, they goofed up their flagship NVMe drives, sold for arm and leg.
In addition to a nasty bug in the firmware potentially deadly for the data of the customer, one could not touch these drives - they were literally a fire hazard. The factory released an NVMe firmware update which mitigated that problem as well, but what they did officially was a huge heatsink. The fire hazard wasn't going away and once the firmware bug hit the user during a write transaction, his data was likely corrupted.

The customers in EU were able to update their drives because my NVMe driver can update the firmware, Apple's can't.
But that was largely a guerrilla action of me and their EU representative.

The American customers were left behind. I was working remotely, so it was easy to do the guerrilla action here.
What they did screw up over there is unbelievable.

I would say - a typical management style believing that if there is some sort of issue, the best way to solve it is to hire more managers. Still an issue? Hire even more managers! The issue became a problem? Fire all the grunts!

Never realizing that the army of managers is actually preventing the grunts to work to their potential.
They tried to be involved in R&D for decades - always failed.

Typical thing: last year I complained, why don't they have NVMe, pardon me, CF Express Type "A" cards.
No answer from the management. Than the usual lay-off wave came. But just before the lay-off they hired a manager... who used to be diligent with CF Express Type "B".

The manager managed things to manage... and managed. Up until their arch-enemy from Austria released a CF Express Type "A" card, beating anyone's speed and price. Precisely as I asked the than-employer and predicted to happen. The profits from type "A" are far larger than from type "B", but sure, managers are "useful". 🤣

Last edited:

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
Are you referring to NVMe SSDs here, or earlier PCIe SSDs that use AHCI? AHCI SSDs work OOTB in Leopard. NVMe’s don’t.

NVMe or AHCI? An NVMe driver for Mavericks would be cool.
Did not find Maverics here in Elsaß - but Yosemite I did.
There you go. Did you see ever such screenshots on Yosemite?

Notice, that the drive reports itself as a fake SATA, with NVMe connection.

In addition to that, NVMe S.M.A.R.T. is supported, way before Apple started to do that.
And the performance has of course nothing to do with AHCI, that is clearly NVMe.
The drive (Intel SSDPEKNW020T8) is a 2TB NVMe drive, corresponding to the rest.

I used old FirmTek way of life, inserting everything into SATA ecosystem.
That may change for Apple silicon, unless they won't port SATA headers there or make AHCI headers public.
(Good luck!). So maybe it will insert itself in the ecosystem as "SAS" later on.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 2.54.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 2.56.09 PM.png

I bought the MacBook Air in question from eBay, but the drive may have sensitive information.
While I am hiding that sensitive info (sorry), you still can see, how the NVMe does "fit" into earlier system, when it was not expected.

Here Yosemite or Leopard on G5 does not really matter, the ASP appears the same way.
The performance on MacBook Air is twice as high as on G5.
Apologies, I am working on "9" right now, so won't pull out the G5 and install everything there today.

But this is (except the performance being lower and not being able to boot) how NVMe looks on G5 as well.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 3.37.05 PM.png

You clearly see that Yosemite mount point is "/" (so it was the boot drive) and NVMe S.M.A.R.T. is working.
The serial number of the computer is C02L90PCF6T6, it belongs to me and it is a mid-2013 13" model with Core i7.

Last edited:

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
BTW: everyone is free to guess, who is the "Austrian arch-enemy" or better, "arch-competitor" of the incompetent "all-manager" American ex-employer, which, to their dismal, recently introduced CF-Express Type "A" cards for Sony cameras.

I guess... even some angels in the sky singing that name... khm, khm... (that's a hint!) that there is only one such company in Austria, close to Feldkirch. 🤔

Last edited:

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
NOT a Mac but maybe you like analogue photography like me, a vintage Linhof view camera for..
EIGHT MILLION EURO.
these vintage cams go about 200 Euros in this state.
hilarious. I even wrote him but he is delusional.

View attachment 2199668
I see it, too.

If seller's claim is correct, he should sell it through different venue, not eBay.
And I am really unsure about logistics.

If that item is indeed worth 8 Mill Euro and I would have that money - I would arrange it personally first, than via private logistics.

BTW: if one is not in the EU or does not have a logistics contractor in few tax-free states (or, say, is not living in Hong Kong) - do you know, the amount of sales tax / VAT to be paid to eBay? :eek:

And maybe it's my Russian mentality used to all kind of mafia things - but I highly doubt, eBay accounts for all the sales tax it does collect. :cool:

Last edited:

mac72

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
I see it, too.

If seller's claim is correct, he should sell it through different venue, not eBay.
And I am really unsure about logistics.

If that item is indeed worth 8 Mill Euro and I would have that money - I would arrange it personally first, than via private logistics.

BTW: if one is not in the EU or does not have a logistics contractor in few tax-free states (or, say, is not living in Hong Kong) - do you know, the amount of sales tax / VAT to be paid to eBay? :eek:

And maybe it's my Russian mentality used to all kind of mafia things - but I highly doubt, eBay accounts for all the sales tax it does collect. :cool:

privet:cool:

I know exactly what these old plate cameras are worth, because I had many of them and I was selling those, too.
The point is he really is delusional.
I wrote him last year (as he lives in munich, too) I offered him restoration help, he has some item/ description errors , he just put it down, he said he 'already had an 'interested party' and was serious.
I also advised him to 'real up' his price ( max 800 Euros) to save himself the expensive ebay selling fees etc.

(for reference, these 1920's Linhof plate cameras go for 150-200 euros in ok condition, the most expensive more modern view camera systems with expensive lenses go for 5000 Euros ).

this one of mine:

DSC03275.JPG

His item is on ebay for some years now, some fools never die.

Last edited:

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
privet:cool:

I know exactly what these old plate cameras are worth, because I had many of them and I was selling those, too.
The point is he really is delusional.
I wrote him last year (as he lives in munich, too) I offered him restoration help, he has some item/ description errors , he just put it down, he said he 'already had an 'interested party' and was serious.
I also advised him to 'real up' his price ( max 800 Euros) to save himself the expensive ebay selling fees etc.

(for reference, these 1920's Linhof plate cameras go for 150-200 euros in ok condition, the most expensive more modern view camera systems with expensive lenses go for 5000 Euros ).

this one of mine:

View attachment 2200012

His item is on ebay for some years now, some fools never die.
You are the pro than, I am completely "ahnungslos" with anything in that large format and that old.
Have some few pre-war Soviet and German glass (bought for few Euro / USD) mainly to play with adapters and Sony / Nikon mirrorless. Post-war is a different story.

The large Canon EF 1:1.0L is from e-Bay, all it's life it was used in a hospital near the German-Swiss border.

OK, I went there (such things I never let ship!), pick it up, paid cash, took home.
When I inspected the date code / serial number it turned out, it is a pre-production, beta-run lens.

To this day this is the earliest known Canon EF 1:1.0L.

But I highly doubt it is worth a fortune. OK, maybe a little fortune.
So be safe, I never take it out if I am going somewhere alone.

Otherwise it's an OK lens, you can see the picture of the statue in a church in Wissembourg here:

The CZJ Sonnar with the serial number 0004 stays at home.

It's heavy and tbh the Minolta 80-200 1:2.8 (with the proper EA-LA5 adapter) and / or my "Magic Drainpipe" (Canon 80-200 1:2.8L, with Fringer adapter) is more useful and maybe better on Sony 7 IV or Nikon Z6.

mac72

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2023
You are the pro than, I am completely "ahnungslos" with anything in that large format and that old.
Have some few pre-war Soviet and German glass (bought for few Euro / USD) mainly to play with adapters and Sony / Nikon mirrorless. Post-war is a different story.

The large Canon EF 1:1.0L is from e-Bay, all it's life it was used in a hospital near the German-Swiss border.

OK, I went there (such things I never let ship!), pick it up, paid cash, took home.
When I inspected the date code / serial number it turned out, it is a pre-production, beta-run lens.

To this day this is the earliest known Canon EF 1:1.0L.

But I highly doubt it is worth a fortune. OK, maybe a little fortune.
So be safe, I never take it out if I am going somewhere alone.

Otherwise it's an OK lens, you can see the picture of the statue in a church in Wissembourg here:

The CZJ Sonnar with the serial number 0004 stays at home.

It's heavy and tbh the Minolta 80-200 1:2.8 (with the proper EA-LA5 adapter) and / or my "Magic Drainpipe" (Canon 80-200 1:2.8L, with Fringer adapter) is more useful and maybe better on Sony 7 IV or Nikon Z6.

yeah, thats a nice collection of good vintage glass you have :cool:
My new passion for photography started with a Canon 550D but quickly moved to a Sony A6000 after I saw how easy it is to use any vintage glass with it with adapters..Takumar, Minolta, Zeiss etc
But soon I started to use film again( which I started from) and old 6x6 or 6x9 folding cameras, the one I liked best with a rollfilm back was a Voigtländer Avus 6x9. The advantage is additional movements and of course bigger negatives. Then moving to bigger ones, old Linhof etc..still there, I love actually seeing live on the screen what will be on the negative and altering perspective etc.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
View attachment 2202430

Still cheaper than a new one :p
The big headache is the "Entsorgung", at least for me.
One seller in Hungary insisted that I take his burned out blue Apple display (I need it like a goldfish needs a bicycle).
That was the condition that I get a "Yosemite" in perfect condition for ca. 25 Euro (10000 HUF).
An other seller near Frankfurt/Main insisted that I take an even bigger monitor (an other bicycle for the poor goldfish) - as a condition that I can take a G3 beige tower in perfect condition for like 70 Euro.

Both machines were needed for testing, so no choice and the monitors remain as a headache. The blue Apple display was tucked away in my garage near BP, the other huge thing stays in Elsaß, the landlord promised me to recycle it...

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
The intact shrinkwrap is enough to charge the extra 10¢ to take it to a round $2k. He's letting it go too cheaply.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.