Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
$15k USD. A treat for a bored billionaire, perhaps?

yhAuhgc.png

PA6gnOt.png

“Because I own two units…”

Their real problem is their minimum income tax rate is far too low.

• Haha
Reactions: TheShortTimer

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Not really a laugh, more confusion. Would this even function? It's (supposed to be) a PCIe Radeon (DDR?). I doubt it'd work on Windows, but maybe Linux radeon would work?
As it turns out, it's a mislabeled FireGL V3100. Kinda disappointed, I wanted something unholy to try.
And they really should know 4:3 isn't square, given they are the only manufacturer to have released a few genuinely square monitors AFAIK.
While it is neat that they're releasing them, and makes me wonder if someone could order a crate of 1600x1200 or 2560x1920 panels off of them, that phrasing doesn't annoy me any less coming from a panel manufacturer. You wouldn't say a score of 4 to 3 in a game is a tie. Even worse is that I've seen people call 3:2 square before, too.​

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
While it is neat that they're releasing them, and makes me wonder if someone could order a crate of 1600x1200 or 2560x1920 panels off of them, that phrasing doesn't annoy me any less coming from a panel manufacturer.
Eizo doesn't manufacture LCD panels. They have released a few high-rez 1:1, 4:3 and 5:4 monitors (shameless link to my list).

Don't all rush at once. At this price you could get quite a few G5s or even an M2. Heck, even dosdude1 could probably make you one for less.
But will dosdude1's upgrade include a genuine burned disc with stuff? You can't not have a genuine burned disc with stuff! It's worth it!

Last edited:
Don't all rush at once. At this price you could get quite a few G5s or even an M2. Heck, even dosdude1 could probably make you one for less.

View attachment 2197506

That purple PCB is worth $1,300 alone easily wait what the heck it doesn’t even have a purple PCB, this is laneway robbery, wtf,

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
That card has bus#0 and bus #1 as "SATA" and bus #2 as "PATA". The "PATA" is not tested yet, neither the ATAPI or (S)ATAPI. Therefore it's still "beta". The very first (S)ATAPI to be tested will be IOMEGA REV... once the rest is fine.
Than goes the "X" and the Open Firmware. It's a hell of work to do...

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
One more thing. The SCSI Manager 4.3 is 2 TB-neutral. The OS itself, too. (MacOS 9.x at least - and of course all "X"-es and post-"X"-es same thing). What counts is the storage driver. No problem under "X" or post-"X", but as far as I know, no "9" SCSI storage driver goes beyond 32-bit addressing. There is nothing preventing them to have 63-bit SCSI addressing, which is more, than modern 48-bit ATA. But they just not do that.

Ways around:

a) Since I wrote the ATA mass storage driver for FWB (and back than FWB hired me because I demonstrated them, a SCSI driver can be written in Pascal language as well) - maybe Norm still has the sources of FWB HDT and maybe Norm can provide me with them.

b) Since I more-less know the internals (Gestalts, etc.) of the FWB SCSI drivers and since I have my own SCSI driver (obviously!) - I can change that, but only that. Than, one has to replace the FWB SCSI driver with the "new" one.

Unfortunately I have no RAID version... So that will be a disadvantage.

In an ideal world I would get the RAID version from Norm Fong and update it to support 63-bit SCSI. Apple's API-s do not allow 64-bit. But since ATA does not go beyond 48-bit addressing, we should be just fine.

c) Greg B. wrote some of the Apple SCSI drivers. I can ask him for the same.

d) I have a basic driver installation utility of my own, by no ways even close to one of FWB or of Greg's / Apple's.

I can't:

- re-write the Apple or FWB installation software. It's way to much work.
- make my own to compete with FWB or Greg (same reason).

After all, I have to deal primarily with NVMe, SAS, M1/M2, Ventura... This "retro" stuff is more-less brain exercise.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
These VIA6421A cards cost less, than a song on fee-Bay.
If anyone is willing to buy one (even without the ROM) and test my VIADuct3 driver - be my guest.
I have no problem to provide that "beta" driver (in form of an extension) to the public.

But: once it is out of "beta", there will be two options:

- Buy the commercial driver / firmware / etc. ("9" + "X" + OpenFirmware) package for some money (decision wasn't made yet, I think, around $50 or $60).

- Get the non-commercial version (feature set and performance as in the SeriTek/1S2, with minor improvements) for free.

Reactions: philgxxd

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023

View attachment 2197506
That listing just does not make any sense. These "retro" sellers are not professionals.
As I said earlier: "Retro" can bring some good money - but only if the seller knows, what he is doing.
Otherwise he risks to become a clown.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
The saddest PCIe GPU you can get is probably the Matrox G550, choked to death by a PCIe-to-PCI (32bit/33MHz) bridge.
Still OK for testing. For folks who want to know, is their ATA / SATA / SAS / SCSI controller driver suffering from interrupt shower and / or who need an extra screen without any video performance concern.

I.e. it's me.

No idea why anyone else may need it.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Still OK for testing. For folks who want to know, is their ATA / SATA / SAS / SCSI controller driver suffering from interrupt shower and / or who need an extra screen without any video performance concern.
I didn’t mean to say “don’t buy the card.” There are use cases, and I’m actually quite fond of Matrox GPUs. ;) There was even a G400-based card for Macs.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
This is used mainly in exUSSR countries (I live in Russia). In Europe & USA it is called as WOW2 AFAIK.
That is valid - but I used it with a valid reason as well: do you know, where is TsAGI? I was born in the maternity hospital belonging to them.

Otherwise I would say "May 8, 1945" and not "May 9, 1945". ;)

Last edited:

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
do you know, where is TsAGI?
Oh, my. It turned out, the probably the most pirated and one of the most popular piece of firmware / driver set for the Mac has essentially more to do with a country everyone recently seem to love to hate (or hates to love), than with USA.

But don't worry: to a very significant degree a good part of FWB Hard Disk Toolkit is from Kiev... no joking.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
This is used mainly in exUSSR countries (I live in Russia). In Europe & USA it is called as WOW2 AFAIK.
By the way - the performance data above is concerning the controller #410:

As you see, the price is just ROFL (compared with eBay insanities), about $4 or so.
If anyone wants the "beta" (now "beta 20"), be my guest.

But the PATA port is not working yet (today). There is a good chance that at the time the #410 arrives the PATA port will work as well.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
Just noticed: there is an exotic PATA controller which can be configured is a hardware RAID controller.
It's the controller #413 on that link. It uses the fairly straightforward ATA API-s, so unless there is something exotic I can write a driver within several weeks (the SIM now is fairly universal).

The price is of course even more a joke - around $3

eBay??? 😂🤣

That makes the hardware part essentially nothing. The crucial is of course that what size of ROM chip it can use.
If it's only 64KB - than it's tough. Otherwise probably OK.

The link to the Linux driver is here:

So maybe I should spend that $3... pardon me, Rbl 250.

As in Linux sources:

"The ITE8212 isn't exactly a standard IDE controller. It has two modes. In pass through mode then it is an IDE controller. In its smart mode its actually quite a capable hardware raid controller disguised as an IDE controller”

On the other hand I can testify, the over-priced and over-hyped Sonnet 133 controller is just a normal ATA controller.
But on eBay it can fetch amazing price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.