Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The intact shrinkwrap is enough to charge the extra 10¢ to take it to a round $2k. He's letting it go too cheaply.
You know, that card might be the ticket to running OS 8.6, X 10.0 and perhaps Server 1.2v3 at 3840×2400. It’s worth it on that account alone… not.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I'm a seasoned eBay veteran but the seller's stance still bemuses me.

n8ENy8g.png

4nFzc7u.png

They have no time to test the computers, even to just power them up and see what happens? I doubt that very much. Rather, they don't want to confirm outright that the items are dead or have problems - in preference of describing them as "untested." 9 out of 10 times that I've asked people/organisations questions about an item or to check/test it for me to the best of their ability, they've always obliged. If they refuse, that's an instant red flag.

wLaOMrx.png
Where I work we have learned from experience that anyone who buys laptops in bulk and sells them as 'untested' because they haven't got the time to test them are liars. We have caught a number of sellers out by noticing various tell tale signs on the laptops that they have been messed with. We confront them with their lies, they say they are not lying, we tell them they are defrauding us by selling us stuff that is claimed not to have been messed with but has been messed with and that we will take up the matter through the courts (at the time we would spend spend thousands in £££ and $$$ buying supposedly untouched faulty laptops) and that's when they admitted they have messed with them (powered them up and took out the working parts and replaced them with faulty parts).

So, based from my own experiences, any seller that buys laptops in bulk and sells them off on ebay with the specific instruction that they do not have the time to test them thus why they selling as 'untested', do not believe them.

So, based from my own experiences, any seller that buys laptops in bulk and sells them off on ebay with the specific instruction that they do not have the time to test them thus why they selling as 'untested', do not believe them.

“Don’t have the time? Don’t do a crime to make some quick dime. Instead, go suck on a lime.”

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Where I work we have learned from experience that anyone who buys laptops in bulk and sells them as 'untested' because they haven't got the time to test them are liars. We have caught a number of sellers out by noticing various tell tale signs on the laptops that they have been messed with. We confront them with their lies, they say they are not lying, we tell them they are defrauding us by selling us stuff that is claimed not to have been messed with but has been messed with and that we will take up the matter through the courts (at the time we would spend spend thousands in £££ and $$$ buying supposedly untouched faulty laptops) and that's when they admitted they have messed with them (powered them up and took out the working parts and replaced them with faulty parts).

I'm indifferent regardless of the explanation if it's being sold "as-is / parts". That said I take the position a system described as untested (and listed "as-is / parts") but possibly working as tested and not working but we don't want to say so. Occasionally there are systems out there like that but I think they're in the minority.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
Next one:

Notice, that "Tomioka" merely means "one of the factories belonging to Yashica".
These Tomioka lens are quite common, many no-name (Hanimex, for instance) 21mm 1:3.5 lens were made by Yashica, that is, Tomioka.

I have one labeled as "Hanimex" and one labeled as "Yashica". Not sure about the first, but the second is 100% Tomioka. And there is one Chinon M42 made by Tomioka. Bought that on "Jófogás" (ca. the same as ebay-kleinanzeigen.de in Germany) for 70000 Ft. Seller wanted 100000 Ft, I was not very exited about it, so he lowered the price. At that time 300 Ft was worth $1, so it's about $230 versus $330. No one was happy with the 70000 Ft deal, that means it was a fair deal.

Now the same lens made at the same factory (but an earlier design, with earlier coating) is offered for $3600?
A large diamond is likely hidden inside of these lens, I probably just can't find it.

Time to buy a house in Cupertino? The one I got in Hungary was the most expensive... ROFL.
The most modern one (Yashica) has a tiny scratch on the coating, so it was thrown at me. The Hanimex is a no-name, in pre-AI Nikon mount. Was under $50.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 06.52.17.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 06.52.17.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023

Now, if that were a 6000 it would be the deal of the month.
It is still an exceptional value. Only in comparison with an other super-deal of the same seller:

But wait... I can buy a PATA <--> SATA housing and a SATA WD "Blue" 1 TB M.2 SSD drive locally for much less.
Maybe THAT particular 80GB drive indeed has a large diamond hidden inside?
It's just well-hidden, but it's there. This is why it's 3.5 inch, very slow - and not well suitable for laptops.
Unlike the WD "Blue" M.2 SSD with the proper 44-pin PATA housing.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
I knew I should have held onto my old Caviar HDDs! Even in non-working condition, I could have gotten at least ten per cent of that! 🙃
…or the drive contains a Bitcoin wallet that’s worth quadrillions.
Amethyst1 and myself have unfair advantage. Not only there is unlimited supply of red caviar in MixMarkt and buying a largish can under 20 Euro is not a big problem: once in a while I can buy a similar can for ca. 1 Euro.

To bad: I can't eat it and have it at the same time. And I prefer to eat it.;)

Update: while the origin of that 1 Euro can is obvious, cans from MixMarkt

have no mentioning of the country of origin.
I buy them and can testify: the taste is exactly the same I expect. As for price: this is of salmon or trout (i.e. Red Caviar, but not Western Digital Red). Once you start to think about Western Digital (NOT!) "Black", that price even in RU is very-very much above the price of "Red". Good so, the fish in question is almost extinct and "Red" is by no means less healthy, than "Black".

Last edited:
Amethyst1 and myself have unfair advantage. Not only there is unlimited supply of red caviar in MixMarkt and buying a largish can under 20 Euro is not a big problem: once in a while I can buy a similar can for ca. 1 Euro.

At those prices, I can’t imagine the planet will have fish for much longer.

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
At those prices, I can’t imagine the planet will have fish for much longer.
The 1 Euro price is only in RU, maybe in BY and UA.
Otherwise it's 17 and up. And only salmon or trout "red" one.
The one from nearly extinct Caspian fish (sterlet for genuine "black") costs far above what anyone with FirmTek background can afford, even if buying in RU.

Heck, even buying just sterlet, not even it's caviar is rightfully a price shock.
Eating trout is by no means less healthy.

The eBay insanity beats the price even of genuine sterlet "black" caviar. And you can't even eat it.

Last edited:
The 1 Euro price is only in RU, maybe in BY and UA.
Otherwise it's 17 and up. And only salmon or trout "red" one.
The one from nearly extinct Caspian fish (sterlet for genuine "black") costs far above what anyone with FirmTek background can afford, even if buying in RU.

Well, sturgeon (sterlet), which are a very slow-growing species, have been under threat in the Black/Caspian Seas for a long time due to over-harvesting of roe. So have sturgeon in the Nearctic regions (i.e., North America) — most of them found on inland freshwater lakes in or near the Great Lakes system.

Even so, other roe/caviar sourced from trout, salmon, and other species are overharvested and populations are measurably crashing. This is especially so for salmon along the West Coast of Canada and the U.S., up and to the point of regulatory bodies halting annual catching/harvesting seasons or mandating that river-caught salmon by individual anglers, found to be swollen with eggs about to be released, must be released back to the river immediately.

Our consumptive eyes are bigger than our planet’s capacity to supply it steadfastly.

Heck, even buying just sterlet, not even it's caviar is rightfully a price shock.
Eating trout is by no means less healthy.

The trick is to find the fish which haven’t been over-harvested.

The eBay insanity beats the price even of genuine sterlet "black" caviar. And you can't even eat it.

Speak for yourself. A girl needs her recommended daily allowance of iron! :D

Ataman Honcho Honchev

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2023
Well, sturgeon (sterlet), which are a very slow-growing species, have been under threat in the Black/Caspian Seas for a long time due to over-harvesting of roe. So have sturgeon in the Nearctic regions (i.e., North America) — most of them found on inland freshwater lakes in or near the Great Lakes system.

Even so, other roe/caviar sourced from trout, salmon, and other species are overharvested and populations are measurably crashing. This is especially so for salmon along the West Coast of Canada and the U.S., up and to the point of regulatory bodies halting annual catching/harvesting seasons or mandating that river-caught salmon by individual anglers, found to be swollen with eggs about to be released, must be released back to the river immediately.

Our consumptive eyes are bigger than our planet’s capacity to supply it steadfastly.

The trick is to find the fish which haven’t been over-harvested.

Speak for yourself. A girl needs her recommended daily allowance of iron! :D
They like the abalone soup. Same here. One of my favorites - but my wallet hates it. :(
On the other side the offerings in European food store chains are quite different than in California.
The only comparable store is Trader's Joe. It's essentially Aldi North which is not the more common Aldi South.

When we lived in Cupertino we used to shop in Trader's Joe and different ethnic food stores and avoided "Lucky" and "Safeway". And at that time (2008 and earlier) we thought, the monthly $1500 rent for a house in the hills overlooking the Apple campus is a lot of money. 🤣

You know, you gotta give it to some folks with their hustle, marketing themselves locally on Marketplace (which, interestingly, one can browse without having a FB account) for the service of slapping OCLP onto older Macs to give them current macOS builds… for fifty bucks. 🤣

1685840389404.png

Pssst, hey Marketplace browsers… you can do this yourself, for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.