Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
View attachment 882622

This the guy?

What an abomination... This is what happens when you let modern "art" infect rare strokes of genius.

If he continues to purchase innocent iBooks and resell them as defiled dumpster fires complete with preinstalled bloatware and cruft, there must be a continuous incentive. There must be at least one or two buyers for every five he pumps out, resulting in a profit. And even if there is a small margin, as long as it is sustainable, my guess is there will be no natural end to this madness.

Someone needs to contact this guy and have a good, professional talk concerning his actions' effects on not only the PowerPC community, but the value, preservation, and historical integrity of the iBook G3 Clamshell. Maybe we can find out if he is indeed finding this endeavor financially successful, and then perhaps a compromise can be struck.

Who knows what might happen... But we will if at least an attempt is made.

What a privileged inconsiderate individual. If you like art go buy a 3D printer and figure out how to print Clamshell casings.

But that’s probably too hard for him, it’s easier to just spend a seemingly limitless supply of cash on the actual models.

Not only is he inflating the prices, each iBook he sells is effectively an iBook with no casing as it’s just unusable at that point. Further lowering all remaining replacement parts and complete computers...

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Not only is he inflating the prices, each iBook he sells is effectively an iBook with no casing as it’s just unusable at that point.

I don't get that. Sure it's ugly as ****, but not unusable (as in broken).

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
I don't get that. Sure it's ugly as ****, but not unusable (as in broken).

I meant the casing itself is damaged beyond repair. If he was like 3D printing normal clamshell casings, and offering some with his “art” not only would that not be destroying the finite amount of casings in the world it would be an option for more spar
I think it was the casing that was being referred to.

Why does this guy have a monopoly on US based eBay sellers selling iBook G3 Clamshell chargers? I really don’t want to have to buy a charger from him but seems to be the only fast option. If only the newer iBook charger I had worked for clamshells.

He has a new abomination up for sale...

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Reactions: alex_free

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
He's been doing it for at least 2-3 years. I've seen them since late 2017 myself. I'd wager that unless he is somehow removed from eBay, this will go on until they are no longer available altogether.

He is also beginning to corner the markets of other old Apple portables as well. I see newer iBooks as well as G3-G4 PowerBooks from him.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
He's been doing it for at least 2-3 years. I've seen them since late 2017 myself. I'd wager that unless he is somehow removed from eBay, this will go on until they are no longer available altogether.

He is also beginning to corner the markets of other old Apple portables as well. I see newer iBooks as well as G3-G4 PowerBooks from him.

I hate that I have to give him 55$ for an iBookg3 clamshell generic charger. Every eBay search result for one is from him. They all have the same picture but are 1$ different. There is a 55$ one, 56$ one, 57$ one, etc. yet he has a 100% positive feedback rating. Sigh.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I hate that I have to give him 55$ for an iBookg3 clamshell generic charger. Every eBay search result for one is from him. They all have the same picture but are 1$ different. There is a 55$ one, 56$ one, 57$ one, etc. yet he has a 100% positive feedback rating. Sigh.

Really? Have you looked elsewhere? I purchased my G3's mains adapter from Amazon UK and there were several traders selling the same generic model. It has to be a similar story with Amazon US. :)

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
He has a new abomination up for sale...

5 viewed per hour...

Clearly, his endeavors are profitable.

My hazard into what's going on here is that people are feeling nostalgic about that iBook their parents got them when they were 13 or 14, and are looking to touch back into those memories. So, what our great pal Michel has figured out to do here is capitalize upon that interest by not only appealing to the consumer's past interests via the computer itself, but also appeal to their current interests by stylizing the computer's case with modern art the usually trend-current consumer is likely to appreciate, thereby combining both interests into one targeted, irresistible product.

As if you combined Super Mario 64 with an iPhone 11 Max, also appealing to said consumer's past and current interests, all the same making your chance of a sale that much higher.

Perhaps he is well-meaning, but it is a rather cunning plan nonetheless...

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I think he works hard at what he does, seems to produce working machines with all the warnings about using them in modern day circumstances, and from the feedback his buyers love it.
The price hike is unforgivable in my view, but if you could make so much and be thanked for it, wouldn't you?

Cheers :)

Hugh

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I meant the casing itself is damaged beyond repair. If he was like 3D printing normal clamshell casings, and offering some with his “art” not only would that not be destroying the finite amount of casings

The casings are not objectively damaged or destroyed in the proper meaning of the words. They're given what some would consider an ugly paintjob. But that's subjective and the buyers of his creations apparently disagree.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
The casings are not objectively damaged or destroyed in the proper meaning of the words. They're given what some would consider an ugly paintjob. But that's subjective and the buyers of his creations apparently disagree.

I understand what your saying, but you realistically can not remove the paint without damaging the entire casing as far as I can tell.

To me, it is effectively one less usable casing in the world. This guy can continue doing what he wants, but I don’t have to agree with it.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Really? Have you looked elsewhere? I purchased my G3's mains adapter from Amazon UK and there were several traders selling the same generic model. It has to be a similar story with Amazon US. :)

Honestly I just bit the bullet and went with him, he has the fastest shipping out of anyone else even on Amazon. So by Saturday this beauty will finally see life again. I thought I had a charger that already worked, but it is too small as it is meant for the newer iBooks. I read online that if you change the barrel plug to a bigger one newer iBook chargers work, what we really need is an adapter for newer iBook chargers that makes them work on the clamshells. The newer iBook chargers are a lot easier to find, especially legit Apple ones, and are significantly cheaper.
image.jpg

Reactions: TheShortTimer

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Honestly that's just sort of insane and not really insane. It wasn't until recently that Apple DVI-ADC converters were around a $100 by themselves. They won't do analog signals either which means you can't use them with an iBook or early PowerBook G4 without some expensive active DVI to VGA device anyways. IIRC that one also works the ADC CRT display whereas Apple's doesn't?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
IIRC that one also works the ADC CRT display

Unfortunately it doesn't.

EDIT:

It wasn't until recently that Apple DVI-ADC converters were around a $100 by themselves. They won't do analog signals either which means you can't use them with an iBook or early PowerBook G4 without some expensive active DVI to VGA device anyways.

Depends on how you define recent. I barely got $30 for my last DVI-to-ADC box a couple of months ago. And VGA-to-DVI adapters can be had quite cheaply too, mine cost $23 and handles 1920×1200 just fine, in addition to supporting two monitors.

Last edited:

cuvtixo

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
I found this thread while googling "clamshell G3 special" to see if Apple actually released an "Art Series", even though the "Picasso" on eBay is obviously made with magic marker. At least I knew enough to check. This isn't so harmless, as the seller leaves the impression that these are special edition or "anniversary edition" Apples. Also, the appeal is not just "nostalgia factor". Spouses may be getting these, grown children for Father's day, thinking it's a great present, a "collector's item" And when it happens, that's not selling "art" That's fraud.

Reactions: Slix

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
The sad reality is PPC macs are going for a lot on ebay given how rare they are now. A Quad G5 can go as high as 1000 dollars or more. I was lucky when i GOT my G5 Quad at 300.00, but as we get far away from 2000's, the PPC machines will increase in value, though useless for anything internet releated, despite tenfourfox.

Reactions: MrVitalic

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I picked up the same box with an Apple CRT display, keyboard, mouse, G3 upgrade card with dip switches and a Jackhammer SCSI card the other year for about $60, so I think it's a little steep. The seller had lost the original 604e 350Mhz card, so that is probably where most of the difference is accounted for.

djjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2020
Not sure if we're limiting auctions to just Apple products but here's a listing for a $10K Amiga:

For that kind of money you think shipping would be included. At least he's willing to consider offers.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.