Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new iTunes icon?

• Total voters

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
After only one year with the red/pink iTunes icon introduced in Yosemite, Apple have again changed it. I imagine this icon is rather polarising and I would love to hear your thoughts.

What do you think of the change? Do you love it, hate it or otherwise?

iTunes Icons.png

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
Three colours background for the new iTunes icon looks very great. Though I do not too care it, but I do not hate it. Why does Apple use three colours for this? Why not using blue/red/black?

Pandarama

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
France
Love Yosemite logo which perfectly match with iOS logo. The new one is more rainbow like logo, not really good imo.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
This is my first time seeing it. For some reason my eyes hated the jump to the red icon in Yosemite, and I like this one better. An amalgamation of many of the past icon colors (the green one got shafted :()

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The Yosemite one looks and matches the iBooks/App Store icons next to it on the default dock much better since it is one color.

I don't hate the multi-colored one, I just think the current one is better for OS X.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I still think that the 2012 icon is the best looking, but I'm also not complaining about the new icon. But the 2014 (current) icon is terrible. I ended up having to make a version of it in blue because it looked so out of place (at least on my dock).

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Love Yosemite logo which perfectly match with iOS logo. The new one is more rainbow like logo, not really good imo.
I agree and disagree. I love the Yosemite logo. I think it looked great and looked good alongside iBooks and App Store.

What was strange about it is that it matched the Music icon on iOS (as does the new icon also). Music on iOS is for music alone (all of Apple Music's features), with the addition of music videos. It does not include videos or TV Shows, and sure does not include apps.

iTunes on the Mac, on the other hand is for Music, Audiobooks (though this may change), TV Shows, Movies and iOS apps. It is home to the iTunes Store and iOS App Store. Having an icon which resembles the Music app on iOS doesn't really make all that much sense as the two apps serve different purposes, bar the music functionality.

iTunes on the Mac is too bloated. It tries to be the home of too many things in my opinion. Perhaps keeping Music together with Videos and TV Shows makes sense, but I think that Apps should be removed from it - minimally.

I would propose a new solution. iTunes (if they keep it at all) would be your media home on the Mac for Music, TV Shows and Movies. The iOS App Store would be built alongside the Mac App Store, so you could select between apps for iPad, iPhone with/without Apple Watch and Mac.

In a world where devices are managed by the cloud, the iOS apps would not be downloaded on the Mac (this is a waste of space), and would instead be downloaded on the iOS device. You could perhaps choose which devices should download the app, if not done automatically by the device.

You would then also have an seperate, optional, iOS device manager. This app would be your way of interacting between devices using the cable. Rather than having to use device managers in iTunes, Photos and the App Store, this would be one home for all interaction. Sure, you could also manage the device in the corresponding app if you choose.

I love the deep integration between iOS devices and iTunes. It is far more succinct than dealing with the file system in Windows. The problem, however, is that it is a dated model. It served its purpose pre-iCloud, but makes less sense moving forwards.

Pandarama

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
France
I agree and disagree. I love the Yosemite logo. I think it looked great and looked good alongside iBooks and App Store.

What was strange about it is that it matched the Music icon on iOS (as does the new icon also). Music on iOS is for music alone (all of Apple Music's features), with the addition of music videos. It does not include videos or TV Shows, and sure does not include apps.

iTunes on the Mac, on the other hand is for Music, Audiobooks (though this may change), TV Shows, Movies and iOS apps. It is home to the iTunes Store and iOS App Store. Having an icon which resembles the Music app on iOS doesn't really make all that much sense as the two apps serve different purposes, bar the music functionality.

iTunes on the Mac is too bloated. It tries to be the home of too many things in my opinion. Perhaps keeping Music together with Videos and TV Shows makes sense, but I think that Apps should be removed from it - minimally.

I would propose a new solution. iTunes (if they keep it at all) would be your media home on the Mac for Music, TV Shows and Movies. The iOS App Store would be built alongside the Mac App Store, so you could select between apps for iPad, iPhone with/without Apple Watch and Mac.

In a world where devices are managed by the cloud, the iOS apps would not be downloaded on the Mac (this is a waste of space), and would instead be downloaded on the iOS device. You could perhaps choose which devices should download the app, if not done automatically by the device.

You would then also have an seperate, optional, iOS device manager. This app would be your way of interacting between devices using the cable. Rather than having to use device managers in iTunes, Photos and the App Store, this would be one home for all interaction. Sure, you could also manage the device in the corresponding app if you choose.

I love the deep integration between iOS devices and iTunes. It is far more succinct than dealing with the file system in Windows. The problem, however, is that it is a dated model. It served its purpose pre-iCloud, but makes less sense moving forwards.

I totally agree. They have to change the model on the Mac. iTunes has to move away or change. But as you said, still beter than Windows here.

Reactions: J.gerbes

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Maybe it looks great on a retina display, but it's too detailed for my 1920X1080.
If they want detailed, they should bring back bulbosity (aqua), that at least was easily understood by the human eye.

Jess13

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Personally, I think the icon looks utterly terrible. The icon I am using: much better.

iTunes.png

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Why so many colors? Does :apple: want you to spend 5 minutes looking at the app icon before opening it?

"I think there is a profound beauty in simplicity." - Jony Ive

Well this is the complete opposite of that. Too messy, too noisy. Same goes for the iOS Music app.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just curious - That new multi-color logo for iTunes doesn't appear on my ElCap installation. I still have the older, all-red iTunes icon. What is the difference on your systems? Is that a function of a retina display (I don't have retina on anything)?

soy

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Brooklyn
Just curious - That new multi-color logo for iTunes doesn't appear on my ElCap installation. I still have the older, all-red iTunes icon. What is the difference on your systems? Is that a function of a retina display (I don't have retina on anything)?

It hasn't been updated yet. It'll happen when the iTunes gets updated for Apple Music on or just before June 30.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
In my mind, the 2006 icon is the most iconic. This was the time when I began my transition to the OS X as my full-time as Apple began using Intel CPUs in their machines. The iPod was dominating the music industry at the height of its era. It really is the best of the old CD icons before they transitioned to a simpler design.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I loved the 2010 and 2012 designs, I quite like the new icon too. I hate the current one though, the iTunes logo needs to have some blue in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.