Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I just saw Elon Musk and Tim Cook Shadow. Why does this look weird and creepy?

This has to be Elon’s first time going inside the Apple Park.

F607C0B6-784A-4BF6-AE9D-49E4904365C2.jpeg

paulvee

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
NYC

Twitter CEO Elon Musk today met with Apple CEO Tim Cook at the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California, according to a tweet shared by Musk this afternoon.

Apple-Park-View.jpeg

Musk thanked Cook for taking him around Apple's headquarters, with no mention of what the two might have discussed. The meeting comes just after Musk on Monday claimed that Apple has "mostly stopped" offering ads on Twitter, and that Apple had threatened to "withhold Twitter from its App Store."

Musk said that Apple has been "making moderation demands," though he did not go into detail on what Apple might have said about moderation. Twitter has been undergoing rapid change since Musk's October takeover, and many employees who handled moderation and policy creation have been fired or have left the company.

Apple has cracked down on other social networking apps for lax moderation policies, such as Parler, so there is real danger that Twitter and Apple could end up in a major dispute should Twitter fail to adequately handle inappropriate content. Twitter has already reinstated more than 62,000 suspended accounts, including that of former U.S. President Donald Trump, and it is not yet clear if that will be problematic.

Apple and Twitter could also run into issues over the Twitter Blue subscription. Platformer this week said Twitter is delaying the launch of the Twitter Blue service as it seeks a way to avoid Apple's 30 percent cut on iOS devices.

The video shared by Musk features the Apple Park duck pond, which has previously been seen in Apple videos and photographs captured by employees.

Article Link: Elon Musk Meets With Apple CEO Tim Cook Amid Claims of Twitter App Store Dispute
Tim is the adult in the room.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
The previous version of Twitter was filled with CSAM that the former Trust and Safety people refused to remove, Musk's version is actually purging that filth.

Pardon me if I think a few 'mean tweets' are a fair price to pay for that.
Musk is not interested in purging filth. He is all about giving filth a chance because he's all about free speech.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I just think he is a obsessed little fan boy who just wants Apple's attention or some sort of inclusion. Remember when he called Tim about merging with Apple on condition he becomes the CEO? I read Time slammed the phone on him immediately. 😁

Aug 30, 2022
Nothing… Tim Cook is in the background just starring at Elon’s iPhone. Looking at him making a video. Looking at Elon how he loves the attention.
Hmm I don’t know, they’ve made some kind of deal. They’re both great businessmen. Tim is smart enough to not go to war with Elon and Elon is not as bad as people want him to be. Still curious about their convo tho.

Hmm I don’t know, they’ve made some kind of deal. They’re both great businessmen. Tim is smart enough to not go to war with Elon and Elon is not as bad as people want him to be. Still curious about their convo tho.
Pretty sure they talked about the Twitter App Store dispute. Apple is not going to back down. They don't need Twitter.
Twitter needs Apple.

Sometimes I wonder what would Elon Musk would do if Tim Cook makes Elon Musk a CEO for Apple for one day.

Last edited:

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
A lot of people posting about free speech seems not to know what the amendment actually means.
Are we using it according to the Constitution's intended meaning or the newly redefined version where people only claim it pertains to speech involving the gov't? We can go into court cases if we must, Johnson vs Texas, Virginia vs Black should suffice. The only speech not currently protected are fighting words and libel/slander, unless it involves a public person (actual malice must be shown).

Anyhow... Tim probably needed reassurances there is moderation going on inside Twitter HQ, something we outsiders trying to armchair QB this company have no clue about.

Aug 30, 2022
Pretty sure they talked about the Twitter App Store dispute. Apple is not going to back down. They don't need Twitter.
Twitter needs Apple.

Sometimes I wonder what would Elon Musk do if Tim Cook makes Elon Musk a CEO for Apple for one day.
Hmm. Perhaps. I do think they’ve made some kind of deal and reassured each other in good intentions. Apple is not going to kick Twitter off the AppStore and Elon is not going to turn Twitter into this next next level hellhole. Apple isn’t God. I think they’re good. For now.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Learn the difference between de facto and de jure. When the former dies the latter tends to follow in short order.

Free speech amendment strictly puts limits on government regulation of speech. Twitter and Apple are not the arbiter of speech. Apple, twitter etc... don't have control of speech. Nothing is stopping people from speaking in a public square. The problem is society have made social media as the only place they can speak. That's their fault, not social media. Now they want to treat social media like they are the government instead of a private business.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
should Twitter fail to adequately handle inappropriate content.
you mean “suppress the free speech on behalf of the government and big tech”

Everyone here saying Twitter is a private company, that free speech does not apply don’t know or ignore the fact that they are doing it on behalf of the government. The government uses them to suppress free speech the claims they are a private company so it’s all good. While people continue to keep their head buried in the sand

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.