Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Wrong. I did not say free speech is balcony. Free speech is paramount. I said “free speech” is being misused By people like Elon. Spreading misinformation, lies, and hate under the guise of free speech is “truly ignorant”. Misinformation, lies, and hate attack freedoms.
Your use of quotation marks confuses me.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
I didn’t know too much about Elon, besides that he was some kind of misunderstood smart kid that makes electric cars. But now I realise he’s a big crybaby trying anything to get attention.

His message a few days before the midterms to vote republican clearly illustrates he’s not in it to create a free speech platform that will save mankind, but rather an extension of his own believes. Apple should stay far away.

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Resumed advertising on Twitter?

Then a big shame in Apple.

Nothing better for the brand than financially supporting a fascist loose cannon.

Ps then again, Musk could be lying because Twitter is a private company he can make material false statements without penalty.

• Disagree
Reactions: LD517

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
When he un bans me from Tw*tter I'll take note , otherwise I find musk a charlatan and a bore
Same here. I used the Chrissy Teigan quote about trump to describe the proud boys on Jan 5th 2021 and was banned shortly thereafter for “hate speech”.

12 years of mostly respectful and positive tweeting ended because I slammed these moronic criminal jackasses the day before they ransacked the Capitol.

• Disagree
Reactions: Guppy Guy and LD517

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
So the day before he went to Apple he was talking out his ass, using the teachings of how to be a "giga-chad", probably from Cobra Tate, then Apple summoned him and like a good little boy he showed up. Apple probably told him you won't win this war, they had specific demands, and he complied. Twitter has no actual point unless you are advertising something or yourself anyways. I've been on it since the beginning and it's completely pointless. It is even more pointless now. Hopefully it gets MySpaced soon.

Reactions: MacRumorUser78

Sciomar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
As has been demonstrated with the Twitter files drop, there are malicious employees who do things behind the CEO's back. Musk can see the data in real time for what's going on in Twitter with ads and use. He talked to Tim and there was probably an internal probe. I am an Apple fanboy but after what Tim is allowing to happen to the Chinese people, my love is lessening. Twitter is a more open platform now that Musk has taken over, of course the side who is all for suppression of ideas they don't like (true fascism) would be upset. I have an account but do not post, I try to follow a broad range of people/ideologies on there. I haven't seen as much hate as people are claiming, but people do love exaggerating these days.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
But shouldn't the rules support Musk's view of absolute free speech, i.e. everything that's legal should be allowed?
I don’t think absolute free speech is possible in 2022. No, I’m not even talking about yelling fire in a crowded theater but even free speech as in expressing opinions that would be offensive or hateful. I think whether it was intentional or not, Ye proved that point. He forced Musk to do something he really was against doing.

Even so I think it’s absolutely awesome that Elon took over Twitter because instead of one political party controlling what was allowed there will be more speech from all sides hopefully. I think open discussion will benefit everyone in the long run even though some might not think so. Don’t be afraid that someone might express an opinion different than yours. We as a society really need to learn how to debate and discuss without getting angry or hateful. Shutting down someone’s voice because you don’t like what they’re saying doesn’t benefit anyone. If they’re saying something incorrect then just point it out in a polite way.

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I don’t think absolute free speech is possible in 2022. No, I’m not even talking about yelling fire in a crowded theater but even free speech as in expressing opinions that would be offensive or hateful. I think whether it wasn’t intentional or not, Ye proved that point. He forced Musk to do something he really was against doing.

Even so I think it’s absolutely awesome that Elon took over Twitter because instead of one political party controlling what was allowed there will be more speech from all sides hopefully. I think open discussion will benefit everyone in the long run even though some might not think so. Don’t be afraid that someone might express an opinion different than yours. We as a society really need to learn how to debate and discuss without getting angry or hateful. Shutting down someone’s voice because you don’t like what they’re saying doesn’t benefit anyone. If they’re saying something incorrect then just point it out in a polite way.
Ya know, I read that idea on the first or second page of comments, and thought it had some merit.

Ye is a creative individual. Maybe he did make those terrible comments (whatever they were) on purpose to show people A. What the limits of “free speech” are and B. That Musk really is an okay guy and willing to moderate clear hate speech.

(I have been told the comments were very anti-Semitic)

Reactions: russell_314

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
But shouldn't the rules support Musk's view of absolute free speech, i.e. everything that's legal should be allowed?

On the outside chance you hadn’t heard.

Elon Musk, Twitter’s chief executive, said late Thursday that Kanye West would be suspended from Twitter after the rapper and fashion designer tweeted an image of a swastika inside the Star of David. Mr. Musk said the post violated the social media outlet’s rule against the incitement of violence.

-https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/02/business/media/kanye-west-twitter-suspension.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.