Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I deny that. Now what?
Certainly open to anyone you think has done more by midlife or is smarter and uses that to further the human race. Venture to guess that there are plenty of genius’s on the planet, but I can’t think of many that have changed this world the way he has. SJ of course is on that list, but he is no longer with us.

Boring Co.
Tesla
Starlink
Space X
Tesla Energy
Solar City
Paypal
Neuralink
Hyperloop
OpenAI
Zip2
X.com

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
They should let him terminate the deal with the stipulation of banning him from twitter. That would hurt him a lot. He can join his buddy Trump at truthsocial.
Trump blasted Elon last night so they are far from buddies. I bet there are a lot of people today spinning in circles trying to decide how to feel about Elon now though.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
Certainly open to anyone you think has done more by midlife or is smarter and uses that to further the human race. Venture to guess that there are plenty of genius’s on the planet, but I can’t think of many that have changed this world the way he has. SJ of course is on that list, but he is no longer with us.

Boring Co.
Tesla
Starlink
Space X
Tesla Energy
Solar City
Paypal
Neuralink
Hyperloop
OpenAI
Zip2
X.com
Could you list his direct contribution to the technologies of any of these companies. Also are you seriously including hyperloop which is an unmitigated disaster.

jamcgahey

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
It sure sounds like you’ve picked a side when you repeat Elon’s claims word for word.

Opinions are not facts. If you share false information that can get people killed or incite a riot on the capital, you’re not being banned because of “opinions”.
You’ve clearly accepted a certain message that has been catered and crafted to your liking to justify silencing opinions of the opposition.

It is your right to live in your own special echo chamber if you want. I just respectfully disagree with you.

But what is your opinion on the false reporting of the user data?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hahah.

He'll be sued for billions. There stock dropped because of him. People quit because of him. They laid off people because of him.

Musk is the worst
I believe he had requested information on fake accounts and trolls etc and there was no proper response and that is what part of the deal was about. However, this is all rather muddy and we only get part of the legal story.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
It is undeniable, Musk is most likely the smartest man on the planet. The success of simply 1% of one of his many companies outweigh the success of any member on this board- with perhaps an exception for Arn combined.

It takes this kind of mind, to go balls to the wall and risk it all for everything he does. Risk is in his DNA, and nobody can deny the amount of multiple successful contributions to the world he has made. You don’t have to like him- but the man deserves respect- as he most certainly has earned it. Outspoken- yes, but seriously widen the view of his accomplishments. Pretty sure he’s got a plan with this twitter decision, and I am not going to pretend to fathom what it may be.
Risk is what you do at the start of your ventures when you have less to lose. Anyway, I don’t think it was a ploy to sell Tesla shares without triggering a massive reduction in price because of the excuse he was buying Twitter. He just wants to - or maybe he has to now - pay less. At the end of it all I hope he gets the place and does something original with it! 👍

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Elon is right on SPAM / bot accounts issue. There a lot of bots and multiple fake accounts, many spreading misinformation. They probably are 10-20% but for sure not 5%, you can see all those in Italy with pro Putin propaganda, writing the same things, triggered by the same thing, automated propaganda.
PS: I criticize Elon for many reasons, but as everyone I don’t judge people if they are 100% aligned with me and I don’t demonize or the oppure anyone, just talking about spam issue.
Wow I wonder how much more are fake on Instagram and tictok

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
There is something good that's come from this though. Musk truly exposed the extreme left wing bias running the company that favors censoring opinion it doesn't like.
Yeah, when a Twitter employee calls out his fellow colleagues as “commie ‘AF’” and admits he himself is leftist because of Twitter’s far-left culture, that’s saying something.

Reactions: Boyyai

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
Yeah because it’s not a cesspool now. :rolleyes:
I'm amazed that people think Twitter is fine. Twitter is a dumpster fire. It is extreme far left leaning and they do suppress people ... constantly ... that oppose the narrative. They don't just ban people on the right. They even ban leftists because they're not far left enough. And it isn't just suppression. They threatened to ban the American Heart Association over a tweet linking an enlarged heart to the vaccine. Whatever your opinion of the vaccine is doesn't matter in this case. Just the mere fact that they posted their findings was reason enough for them to be banned is something that should worry everyone. They even wanted to cancel the doctor that literally created the vaccine because he had concerns about it. This is full 1984 level of thought control. They say what the "truth" is supposed to be ... and if you disagree with the "truth" ... you will be canceled ... whether you are a reputable company, left or right leaning, it doesn't matter. You will comply or you won't use the platform. They even have the power to censor a sitting President ... and whether you agree if that President is an idiotic monkey or not isn't the point. I mean they have literal terrorist organizations on Twitter that threaten the life of people and entire races of people ... and they're allowed to go about their way. There is zero consistency with their policies and they are corrupt to the core. The only good thing to come out of this Elon fiasco was that it shed light on some of that corruption. I never thought he'd actually go through with this.

And then you have "fact checkers" ... which means absolutely nothing. Biden lies almost every time he opens his mouth lately and the White House plays clean up every time he talks. Nobody believes what Biden is saying anymore, include a large chunk of Democrats. Nobody is buying the narrative anymore. Everyone is sick of this country being so horribly managed. Everyone is feeling the pain of current circumstances, especially ones with families. Biden telling you your house is fine while it's on fire isn't going to make you think your house is fine.

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Nope. He bought into an existing Tesla.
Yes, but there is no denying when he sunk his cash into it he had a major influence in getting their first successful car made. I have to give him that. SpaceX was all him so give the man the credit he is due.

What happens at Twitter is up for grabs but he is no loser.

• Haha
Reactions: StumpJumper

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020

Boring Co.
Tesla
Starlink
Space X
Tesla Energy
Solar City
Paypal
Neuralink
Hyperloop
OpenAI
Zip2
X.com
None of those companies have changed the world. While many of them offer promise and have demonstrated technological advancements none of them are poised to actually capitalize on their over-validated stocks to “change the world”. When the average car buyer actually buys an electric car it will most likely be made by Ford, GM, or VW. When commercial space travel hits its stride, it will be on spacecraft made by companies like Boeing. At the end of the day most of these companies will be relegated to the wayside of history and Musk will be known as the guy that transferred large amounts of investor wealth to his personal wealth by overhyping flashy tech to convince ignorant investors that can’t read a financial statement to part with their money and stubbornly hold their shares while he sells his.

Last edited:

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
The reason I am fairly certain that 5.11 is the diligence waiving is from the absence of language elsewhere which explicitly gives him post-filing diligence or limits his liability due to any post-deal discoveries — such a provision is generally included to increase the speed of a deal by stating those who are involved have already done the work and have the answers they needed to proceed.

I don't believe it's solely an acknowledgment "that no one has made any other representations or warranties to him" — I think it goes as far as saying that Elon (and Twitter) has taken it upon himself to gather, analyze, and be happy with what has been provided to him at this point to continue (unless, of course, fraud).

That's what I mean about this misrepresentation by Elon's counsel to focus on his right to information, not diligence: I don't recall seeing any other language in the filing or reporting which means he could use access to metrics in post to sink the deal simply because he doesn't like what he sees, as that would require both sides to agree at this point. But of course, I am just bystander so it'll be fun to watch at least.

Edit: I realize I should be clear, because we are essentially talking to the same thing. 5.11's diligence waiving definitely doesn't stand if Twitter has put out false/fraud statements which Elon/shareholders/public have based their actions on — it's I just don't think Twitter has misled and Elon doesn't have proof. I also just find it pretty bold of Elon to suggest they've been lying for 8 years, somehow he's a formula away from proving it wrong, and the reason he knows (and no one else does) is because is in the buying seat. At any point before this, anyone — including him — could have initiated an SEC investigation with evidence outside of this attempted buy fiasco.
The claim isn't that Mr. Musk could sink the deal simply because he doesn't like what he sees. But he could sink it if, e.g., Twitter breaches the agreement or it was discovered that information Twitter provided was false in a way that had a material adverse effect.

The agreement provides that Mr. Musk can terminate it under certain circumstances, including if the specified conditions for his obligation to consummate the deal aren't met. Those conditions include that the representations made by Twitter in the agreement are accurate. And nowhere does Mr. Musk waive a right to continue investigating to determine, e.g., whether such representations were accurate.

I'd note that Mr. Musk doesn't seem to believe he waived his due diligence rights (in the merger agreement). His latest SEC filing repeatedly refers to his "diligence request{s}."

That said, I think I now understand where this notion of waived due diligence comes from. At some point Mr. Musk waived business due diligence as a condition on the acquisition proposal that he made. The proposal was initially conditioned on, among other things, securing financing and on various forms of due diligence - legal, regulatory, accounting, business, and tax due diligence. Some time later Mr. Musk made a filing indicating that the proposal (not the merger agreement, as that hadn't been entered into yet) was no longer conditioned on business due diligence or securing financing. It was however still condition on, among other things, the other forms of due diligence - to include accounting due diligence.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Pretty big accusation. I can tell you this. There is no GAAP or SEC definition for “spam” bot so unless you think twitter knowingly lied and has secret documentation proven as such, sloppiness wont be prosecuted

I never said anything about prosecution. All he needs to show is that they relied on representations by Twitter that were materially false. I assume they already have that.

Whether anything could be prosecuted criminally is not something I suspect anyone cares about and is a different matter entirely.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Yup. Beware false idols. There’s a narrative slowly simmering here that will likely end in a call for biometric digital ID in order to access the internet. Western governments are already working in parallel with various digital surveillance legislation and calls for encryption backdoors. But no one cares because the TV news didn’t tell them to. Musk is no one’s friend.
This practically exists already. Facebook had a 1 billion person headstart with the purchase of whatsapp. Now a huge number of products and services ( and wifi hotspots) require a Facebook or google logons or you fill out a long personal information form, verify your address and accept a bunch of 'necessary' trackers.

• Sad
Reactions: Jim Lahey

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Here's a thing I don't get. I know loads of people that call Elon a fraud and yet I see tesla's everywhere and reusable rocket landings. I wish there were 100 Elons., each with two of more companies. Are folks just envious of his success?

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
Here's a thing I don't get. I know loads of people that call Elon a fraud and yet I see tesla's everywhere and reusable rocket landings. I wish there were 100 Elons., each with two of more companies. Are folks just envious of his success?
Apparently the world’s richest human is a complete failure. Whether you agree with him as a person or not has nothing to do with his business acumen. He’s clearly good at what he does. I can understand people not being fond of him, but all these things being said about him seem a bit silly.

Twitter really needs a good kick in the pants.

Last edited:
Reactions: tigres and pacalis

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
Elon Musk's potential buyout was their last chance to stay afloat; now they face a continued and steady decline into irrelevance like many other Big Tech companies before them.

While the initial argument from Twitter execs will be that Musk “waived” his rights to change the original deal and thus he is required to buy regardless, his waiver does not extend to his rights to review Twitter's claims about their user base. The deal itself was predicated on Twitter giving honest assessments of the percentage of users that are actually bots (fake accounts). Twitter initially claimed that bots only made up around 5% of users; and it would appear that Musk has discovered this to be false.

If it turns out that a large portion of Twitter is actually fake, then Musk surely has grounds to terminate the deal. A waiver against changing the deal does not negate the original requirements of the deal according to his legal council, and this makes perfect sense.

Despite their free speech quarrel, Musk knew how much of Twitter was fake and he got them to expose themselves for what they really are.

57744AAD-7943-4311-B231-52E7EFD9CC77.jpeg

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Apparently the world’s richest human is a complete failure. Whether you agree with him as a person or not has nothing to do with his business acumen. He’s clearly good at what he does. I can understand people not being fond of him, but all these things being said about him seem a bit silly.

Twitter really needs a good kick in the pants.
I think always saying he is the world’s richest human is a misnomer as people use other scales to determine the richness of a life. Bill Gates is the evil incarnate for many people. Jeff Bezos is criticized for taking people up into space and the working conditions at Amazon even though he is retired. BTW: In many ways Amazon got worse after Bezos handed over control. If you have lots of cash they will try to cut you down.

Musk wanted to change Twitter and that opens the door to all sorts of things. If the deal is dead then the loss is a loss to many more and has nothing to do with politics.

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
Left wing cesspools are allowed, pal.
So are right wing cesspools, what are you getting at? You can find millions of right wing accounts on Twitter or any other social network. You’re also free to create one of your own. Now if people don’t like what you’re saying and don’t want to engage your site or advertisers don’t want to be involved with a site that promotoes racism and lgbt hate, that’s their freedom of speech.

Reactions: ninethirty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.