Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squint0241

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
no worries - just do not, I repeat, DO NOT PAY FOR THAT BTSTACKS GPS - it sounds all great and ***** compared to roqyBT GPS, but it does not work for iPhone nor iPad. I got a $5 educational lesson.

In order to ease your pain, go to apptrackr and download a bunch of free apps. I always find that relieves my pain...lol

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Damn. All this work for something that comes standard on the 3G.

I don't feel bad for saying this since I presume ipad owners have a lot of disposible income, but do you really have to squeeze every dollar?! I can't imagine the time and effort +30-60 dollars is less than $130?

With that said, I can't wait til navigon makes an ipad version. The iPhone version looks so crappy on the ipad. The ipad 3g gps is way better than the 3GS though.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I actually found this whole thread interesting from a tinkering perspective and appreciate the OP sharing all the results with us.

That said, I can't imagine using an iPad for in-car navigation. For starters, its just too unwieldy and would obscure about all of my dashboard. The brightness issues would also distract me while night driving I'm afraid.

Just seems like a bit of overkill to use something this big for simple navigation.

squint0241

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
I actually found this whole thread interesting from a tinkering perspective and appreciate the OP sharing all the results with us.

That said, I can't imagine using an iPad for in-car navigation. For starters, its just too unwieldy and would obscure about all of my dashboard. The brightness issues would also distract me while night driving I'm afraid.

Just seems like a bit of overkill to use something this big for simple navigation.

Your right about that Bigfeet... I don't really need the GPS on my iPad, but I love to push new things to the limit. Since I'm married and spend most of my time running my daughters around I find it therapeutic to tinker when I'm bored...lol My days of rock climbing and triathlons are fading away. Spend most of the time at home now on the computer tracking technology for a hobby. It's forums and input from people such as yourself that I find entertaining. :) Oh Yeah...saying goodbye to the iPhone after 3 years since it's inception and all the jailbreaking good times. I know its a sad day, but I'm looking forward to some time with the Sprint EVO 4G (android). Time for a new toy and a way better network...lol

joseluis.17

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
monterrey, mexico
Damn. All this work for something that comes standard on the 3G.

I don't feel bad for saying this since I presume ipad owners have a lot of disposible income, but do you really have to squeeze every dollar?! I can't imagine the time and effort +30-60 dollars is less than $130?

With that said, I can't wait til navigon makes an ipad version. The iPhone version looks so crappy on the ipad. The ipad 3g gps is way better than the 3GS though.

I think I'll do it not because of the price but because of the accuracy of a bigger GPS chip remember the GPS on the iPad is assisted and on the external one is not so they probably be way more accurate.

or maybe instead of getting the 16GB 3G you could get the 32GB WI-FI only

greetings :D

Boblister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
North West UK
I think I'll do it not because of the price but because of the accuracy of a bigger GPS chip remember the GPS on the iPad is assisted and on the external one is not so they probably be way more accurate.

I beg to differ. The GPS in the iPad is just as accurate as an external GPS. They both use the same principals. However the "assisted" method that the iPad uses means the GPS will lock onto the satellites a lot faster as it will get a rough location first from the assisted bit.

billyzenme

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009

Clearly you have no idea of what assisted-GPS really means.

By "assisted", it means the GPS on the device is using nearby network signals (I.e. Cellular), and precise network time for startup (initiation) to locate the area/region you are in, before acquiring an exact pinpoint location from the satellites. Hence the "assistance" speeds up the process of a GPS lock on the satellites and pinpoints your exact location faster.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
When I use 3g only, it shows me 2 blocks east of my actual location.
With wifi only, exact loc.
Ideas?

thr07

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
I've just got the Qstarz BT-Q818X but for some reason i can't pair it with my iPad...when i pull the switch to 'Nav' then both the bluetooth (blue) and GPS (orange) LEDs come on but don't flash so can't pair at all (RoqyBT scanning can not find the GPS receiver either). Have connected it with my PC via USB and connected to the GPS fine, testing BT with other devices...
Any ideas?
UPDATE: Managed to fix it by locking in GPS via the PC and the QstarzGPSView programme, updating A-GPS etc. if anyone has issues similar to the ones mentioned in my original msg above pls pm me.

thr07

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Have tried MotionX-GPS HD, unfortunately it won't link-up properly with the BT GPS to lock-in satellites, even though it does show me the correct location/co-ordinates. Google Maps work fine, will try navigation alos with other programmes and post results.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Have tried MotionX-GPS HD, unfortunately it won't link-up properly with the BT GPS to lock-in satellites, even though it does show me the correct location/co-ordinates. Google Maps work fine, will try navigation alos with other programmes and post results.

Motion X gps HD works but make sure u switch it to WIFI mode. It wont matter if u have no connection at all sure the maps wont load but the geo location updates when u move It won't work if u switch to 3G iPad gps mode!

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
@ipadthai

The update to Bt stack GPS now makes the wifi ipad work with tomtom and all the other apps now. I have it on mine and prefer it to roqyBT now

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
@ipadthai

The update to Bt stack GPS now makes the wifi ipad work with tomtom and all the other apps now. I have it on mine and prefer it to roqyBT now

I'll install tom-tom on the iPad and try it but navigon doesn't even see the gps when using btstack gps it sees the gps while using roqybt gps.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
I'll install tom-tom on the iPad and try it but navigon doesn't even see the gps when using btstack gps it sees the gps while using roqybt gps.

Tomtom works with BTSTACK GPS - this time it works after the new update release. However, navigon still does not see the gps but works fine with roqyBT GPS. Tomtom is terrible!

Tomtom still shows the "connect to GPS" (it keeps flash it) - but the gps signal is solid. I will use it today and see how well tomtom works for now. And NO, FULLFORCE DOESN'T WORK WITH TOMTOM.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Guys we have a major breakthru!!

UPDATE: BTSTACK GPS version 1.2-24995 WORKS WITH NAVIGON ON iPAD WIFI (non-3G model)!!!!

Video coming up - it's quite dark and windy outside and I have nobody to help me hold the unit (since I don't have an iPad mount) - but I'll do my best.

Incredible, went for a short drive and it worked FLAWLESSLY!!
Way to go BTSTACK GPS!!!!!
:):):):):):)

Video of working Navigon + iPad Wifi model + BTStack GPS 1.2-24995 + QStarz Q818x:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yU6raDM3TY

You can fast foward but there are some speed issues (the MPH indicator will go bezerk but the GPS data is accurately maintained, however. Email is dispatched to the dev regarding this issue)

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
IDK, I just feel like the whole purpose of the iPad is portability. To make our mobile computing life easier by not having to lug around a bunch of bulky hardware. I just wonder at what point are we negating the purpose. All these people getting a personal hotspot for 3/4G now this. Just not for me.

Have fun though hope it suits your needs

Agreed, I don't want to plug in cables, having to hide them in the dash etc...
In the end, you will save maybe about 50 bucks, but you have to compromise on portability and usability.
Ok, if it suits the OP, but this is not for me.

iLikeScotch

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010

By "assisted", it means the GPS on the device is using nearby network signals (I.e. Cellular), and precise network time for startup (initiation) to locate the area/region you are in, before acquiring an exact pinpoint location from the satellites. Hence the "assistance" speeds up the process of a GPS lock on the satellites and pinpoints your exact location faster.

Billy, while that may be true, it does not mean that the iPad a-GPS will necessarily be faster than an external one. A GPS unit's time to first fix (TTFF) depends on a couple of factors. If all of these factors were the same (i.e., two unit's with the same chips, power sources, etc., were being compared with the exception of assisted vs. non-assisted) then yes, the a-GPS would have a faster TTFF. But not all GPS units are equal - some are most definitely better than the iPad, while others won't be.

Not to mention companies (like apple) know that a-GPS is better, so they put lower power GPS chips in their products to save battery life (since with a strong cell tower signal the standalone GPS capability is effectively irrelevant).

So where people like iPadThai will be better off is in locations where there's no cell tower signal. I don't know what chip is in the iPad but it's worth looking into if you are not sure about which iPad to buy.

A little on a tangent here, but check out the following tables: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ttffcomparisons.php

joseluis.17

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
monterrey, mexico

What's with the rudeness?
You see I didn't know that but what you say totally makes sense since my iPhone can get my location even when I'm outside coverege, altough I still believe that the chip in the ipad isn't as powerful or as acurate as an external gps on the ipad they focused on a small low power consuming chip and on the external gps that I have in mind they go for accuarcy
let me know your opinion :)

thr07

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Have tried the latest version of Navigon and indeed it works perfectly exactly as it's shown on the video by iPadThai...the only problem that i have is that i'm not getting the voice with the instructions for the route...anyon else has the same issue? Does it have to do with the fact that Navigon it's only a version for iphone ie not native for iPad?

ufotofu

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the discovery iPT. I have Navigon working well with BTStack also. I have also been playing with Alk Copilot HD, which I rashly bought after hearing about RoqyBT, but this combination doesn't work. Alk is able to find its location, but can't track once you star moving. With BTStack, Copilot sort of works for me, but is very choppy, with several second long pauses before it resumes tracking. The worst problem is that the turn-by-turn voice commands don't work, even though audio, such as ipod and button clicks and voice test all work. What's your experience?

I said screw it and checked out other options that lead me to this setup. I am going to try copilot - will report back soon!

:)

thr07

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that all navigation progranmes are not optimised/fully compatible with iPad yet, for example i tried an older version of Navigon (v.1.5) and it worked and i got the voice instuctions too. Also i tried the latest version of Tom Tom and it worked fine incl. turn by turn instructions. I guess we have to wait for the versions of all these navigation programmes that will fully support iPad.

pontiacy

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
thanks OP! my ipad wifi works great with btstack gps + globalsat BT-395CS gps receiver + copilot! On the other hand, roqybt doesn't work because when my car moves, it doesn't update my location.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Just ordered a Holux M1000 bt gps unit. Hopefully it works with the Papago app I have... The screen on my iPad is far bigger than the screen on my dedicated PPG GPS handheld unit. Hell it's even bigger than the built in navi screen in my car!

cspbrw

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Just wondered how you got MotionX GPS drive HD for the ipad (Wifi). I have jailbroken the iPad, and when I go to order Motion GPS drive HD, it says I need an iPad with 3g.

Just wondered how this app is downloaded onto the iPad Wifi.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.