Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cspbrw

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Motion X gps HD works but make sure u switch it to WIFI mode. It wont matter if u have no connection at all sure the maps wont load but the geo location updates when u move It won't work if u switch to 3G iPad gps mode!

hi,

just wondered how you got the motion x hd gps on the ipad? do you have wifi only ipad or one with 3g built in?

Thanks

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Testament to iPad as a GPS

Irealize this thread is mainly about getting a wifi pad to work...but I wanted to throw my 2 cents worth (darn iPad has no cents symbol).

I justified the 3G model for the extra $ in part to have the GPS. I didn't realize the benefit that I would gain. Two times now I have taken the iPad out on the boat...and it prooved to be really helpful to have such a large and functioning gps to navigate the waters! Wow! Very cool!

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Irealize this thread is mainly about getting a wifi pad to work...but I wanted to throw my 2 cents worth (darn iPad has no cents symbol).

I justified the 3G model for the extra $ in part to have the GPS. I didn't realize the benefit that I would gain. Two times now I have taken the iPad out on the boat...and it prooved to be really helpful to have such a large and functioning gps to navigate the waters! Wow! Very cool!

I wonder if someone makes a blue tooth enabled fish finder???

sbostedor

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
Michigan
Holux GPS with iPad WiFi

I use a bluetooth Holux M-1000 with BTstack and it works great! Offloads most of the location processing on the external device and saves battery. The accuracy is much better than the GPS in my iPhone, too!

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
When I use 3g only, it shows me 2 blocks east of my actual location.
With wifi only, exact loc.
Ideas?

All Ipads have GPS chip. The GPS disables itself on the WiFi versions when it can't detect WiFi.

Otherwise you'd get a blue dot with no background on the Maps app.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
All Ipads have GPS chip. The GPS disables itself on the WiFi versions when it can't detect WiFi.

Care to back up that claim with some evidence?

It's amazing how many people still think that it has a GPS chip. The reason it stops giving you your position when it loses WIFI is that it's using WIFI triangulation to give you your position.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

Er, no it doesn't.

Teardowns have proven that the wifi model does not have a physical GPS chip.

There is no chip to disable when wifi is not detected. you get the blue dot because of skyhook, not because the nonexistant chip is enabled when connected to wifi.

Sent from my LYNX 3D via Tapatalk

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009

Eeeeeehhh-ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wrong. It uses wifi triangulation (if your area supports it) to discover your location.

No wonder :apple: users get a bad rep, most are talking out their ass. A simple google search would of explained this to you.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Care to back up that claim with some evidence?

It's amazing how many people still think that it has a GPS chip. The reason it stops giving you your position when it loses WIFI is that it's using WIFI triangulation to give you your position.

Yeah, how come Navigon works on my iPad Wifi when I tether it using iTether? Technically my Wifi access point is moving at 60 mph..... does that mean Skyhook is tracking it?

All iPads have a GPS chip.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, how come Navigon works on my iPad Wifi when I tether it using iTether? Technically my Wifi access point is moving at 60 mph..... does that mean Skyhook is tracking it?

Right, and since iPod touches support the same location services, they also have GPS chips in them, right?!

Your iPad makes note of other wireless networks as it comes across them. It doesn't have to disconnect you from your iTether in order to do this. By keeping track of the strength of other wireless networks around you, it can use the SkyHook database (or a similar pre-built database that correlates WiFi networks to their GPS locations) to roughly triangulate your position.

The more WiFi networks near your iPad, the better the accuracy of the guess as to where you're at.

This isn't a magical feature of the iPad or the iPod touch. Virtually every smartphone made (Android, Windows Mobile, Palm) in the last two years supports this feature.

kimchee411

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2010
Just wondered how you got MotionX GPS drive HD for the ipad (Wifi). I have jailbroken the iPad, and when I go to order Motion GPS drive HD, it says I need an iPad with 3g.

Just wondered how this app is downloaded onto the iPad Wifi.

Thanks.

Anybody have a solution to this? I tried buying the app through iTunes on my computer, and although that worked, it won't install when I sync my iPad, saying it's not compatible. Now I'm just out $2.99 + tax.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Anybody have a solution to this? I tried buying the app through iTunes on my computer, and although that worked, it won't install when I sync my iPad, saying it's not compatible. Now I'm just out $2.99 + tax.

You can request a refund inside iTunes.

ICEMAN144

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
Washington, IL
Using Trapster

Has anyone used this setup with the Trapster app for iPad (or know if it can be done)? I opted not to go with the 3G model (before i knew about the GPS not being included in the wifi model; poor research on my part, i know) primarily because i have a standing contract with Verizon for phone/mobile 3G and AT&T sucks out here in corn-country. I have no problem using my Droid2 as a wireless hotspot and running the wifi iPad off of it but apparently even with GPS enabled on my phone it does not, and i'm told it will not, share my location with the iPad. This setup with the bluetooth GPS seems to work great with navigation apps, but i wanted to make sure it would work with Trapster before i went and jailbroke my iPad and spent the money on the GPS. Thanks for any help!

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
[citation needed]

;)

All I can offer is that my 3G (with real GPS) gives very different performance than my wife's wifi (WITHOUT GPS) when I compare them using any apps using location services.
The wifi can be scary accurate sometimes but there is just no way it has a true GPS. Side by side comparison does not lie.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
There is another CYDIA APP that is called BTSTACK GPS and that app I initially hated but now it is at version 1.5 which is so much better in terms of performance/support than the bluetooth gps I originally used. You people who want to use external gps should try the btstack gps.

especially now when NAVIGON supports the iPad!!

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009

Honestly, try going over a bridge where there is no wifi around. I guarantee you it won't work. The reason you think its working is cause your hitting tons of wifi access points.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Seems okay if you want to carry around multiple devices which defeats the purpose of having a slim portable tablet.

Well, blame Apple for that. These hypocrites delete features and make devices pointlessly thinner while touting their "elegance", but then expect you to carry a bunch of dongles and wires around all the time. Going on vacation and want to share photos from your camera? Better buy and never forget your "camera connection kit." Want to get video from your video camera onto your iPad to show people at dinner? Not gonna happen.

Never mind that a proper USB interface would eliminate all of this and let you get a connector at any Wal-Mart or other retailer should you forget it.

They just don't learn. Even the record companies learned that DRM was pointless, and eliminated it. Yet Apple, the biggest seller of music, hasn't taken that lesson to heart and eliminated the pathetic and unnecessary limitations that reduce its handheld Unix computers to toys and gimmicks.

And no tablet should be made without GPS. That's just an idiotic failure to expand the market for these things and provide a function that is undeniably useful.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
After almost one year of iPad 1 WIFI model bluetooth GPS review:

I'll put it this way. The number of times I've taken my WIFI ipad 32GB outdoors and into my car for "gps" use: 3 times.

Why not use it more often? because it's a real pain in the ass having to do. Yes, flipping the switch on the external gps module + tapping the btstack GPS app on the iPad is too much work. Jokes aside, it's a real bummer setup and I honestly haven't even bothered after owning my iPhone 4, I just use navigon 1.7 on the 3.5" screen it's puny but at least it's retina res...

The iPad 2 is out and for sure, I'll get the GPS model. Yes, that means the 3G model even if I only use Wifi. I'm very sure I'll use the GPS more if I buy one with it built in.

Thanks guys for all your posts...it was fun while it lasted!

PS - the worse of all is the fact I have to JB the damn ipad to get btstack GPS to function. And you know how JB's go - they take forever to release! I like the upgraded firmwares so much i didn't want to wait for a Potential release of the JB so it was quite annoying. That's why having real GPS built in is way better than these hacks which cost me more money almost nearly half the upgrade cost to a 3G/GPS model!

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
After almost one year of iPad 1 WIFI model bluetooth GPS review:

I'll put it this way. The number of times I've taken my WIFI ipad 32GB outdoors and into my car for "gps" use: 3 times.

Why not use it more often? because it's a real pain in the ass having to do. Yes, flipping the switch on the external gps module + tapping the btstack GPS app on the iPad is too much work. Jokes aside, it's a real bummer setup and I honestly haven't even bothered after owning my iPhone 4, I just use navigon 1.7 on the 3.5" screen it's puny but at least it's retina res...

The iPad 2 is out and for sure, I'll get the GPS model. Yes, that means the 3G model even if I only use Wifi. I'm very sure I'll use the GPS more if I buy one with it built in.

Thanks guys for all your posts...it was fun while it lasted!

PS - the worse of all is the fact I have to JB the damn ipad to get btstack GPS to function. And you know how JB's go - they take forever to release! I like the upgraded firmwares so much i didn't want to wait for a Potential release of the JB so it was quite annoying. That's why having real GPS built in is way better than these hacks which cost me more money almost nearly half the upgrade cost to a 3G/GPS model!

I wonder if there is a way for the iPhone to transmit it's GPS data to the iPad over bluetooth in real time.... Kinda like how iTether for the iPad works...:confused:

Ultrafire88

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
I have been using BTstack to link my JB ipad1 with my Holux 1000B and 1000C for the past 3 months and it's been working great. To me, this was my biggest incentive to JB.

I find that, in general, an external gps works much better (faster acquisition and better accuracy) than the built-in gps of mobile devices (am comparing with my Nokia 5800, HTC Legend and Samsung Galaxy SL), plus u get much better battery life (my Holuxes use the commonly-available Nokia BL-5C battery).

Btw, I tried roqyBT before I used BTstack and it just didn't seem to work with my Holuxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.