Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobbuilds69

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
Before Apple fans get confused again and start calling Epic hypocritical: the key difference is that Epic is not a gatekeeper and does not have complete control over game distribution. If developers don't like these terms they're free to use web distribution or alternative stores. That's how competition in a free and open market works.
Did Apple hurt your feelings?

Before Apple fans get confused again and start calling Epic hypocritical: the key difference is that Epic is not a gatekeeper and does not have complete control over game distribution. If developers don't like these terms they're free to use web distribution or alternative stores. That's how competition in a free and open market works.
Is it about being a hypocrite or about a business just making profit every which way they can? Epic only cares about making money, and I am not judging them for that. But Apple is no more a "gatekeeper" than Microsoft or Sony are with their consoles. Any business can choose who they do business with and on what terms. If the other party doesn't like those terms they don't have to say yes. App developers with coding skills can code for any platform they wish. If they want to largest reach and to get the help of the businesses who can instantly reach millions....there is a price to pay. It is "just business" and Epic is now playing their part in trying to make money off of people who want to use them for a service.

Last edited:

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Fortnite was being distributed for free on the App store and EPIC sells their v-bucks at grocery stores. While I'm not thrilled with many things at Apple today, the value Apple was offering was way less than it was being compensated by Epic.

What Epic is offering is way less distribution and likely less trust and QC for less cost. That's fine, but i'd be pretty suspect of apps on that store.
I’ll be def getting stuff from their store, I don’t think that will be any less safe.
QC at Apple is simply a myth, there is plenty of garbage there too!

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I’ll be def getting stuff from their store, I don’t think that will be any less safe.
QC at Apple is simply a myth, there is plenty of garbage there!

Sure, QC at Apple isn't perfect. But I don't know why you think EPIC will be similar.

Why def? There's no reason to believe that EPIC or the devs will pass that 3% to 18% to you.

Also, my experience with the Epic Games Launcher is awful. Fortnite on the app store was much better.

Apple seems to profit enormously from their platform, even if they were to receive $0 in App Store revenue.
Yes, Apple if a business that is run well enough to make enormous profit. This is accomplished through multiple, diverse revenue streams as all good businesses should function. Also, like any business if you take a very profitable revenue stream and stop it, it is not preferable and the business would likely try to prevent it.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Sure, QC at Apple isn't perfect. I don't know why think EPIC will be similar.

Why def? There's no reason to believe that EPIC or the devs will pass that 18% to you.
Because even if I pay the same price the dev will get a little more, and I prefer devs getting the money rather than a huge Company ( no matter which ).

Because I would support Epic for trying to change things ( yes I know they did for their own good, but devs get a little in return as well ).

Because I like choices… that’s why.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Maybe not the feeling but his/her wallet.

30% transaction costs are too high for digital downloads. Simple as that.
Really, did you forget that hosts pay a fee for internet bandwidth and traffic usage?
Electricity, Cloud space, backup storage, and a countless more of expenses?
It's not that simple. Wait until you have to cover all those expenses for you to change your mind.

Edit: I forgot to add:
E-Commerce hosting, transaction fees, Web Designer/Maintainer/Webmaster salaries, etc...

Last edited:
Because even if I pay the same price the dev will get a little more, and I prefer devs getting the money rather than a huge Company ( no matter which ).

Because I would support Epic for trying to change things ( yes I know they did for their own good, but devs get a little in return as well ).

Because I like choices… that’s why.
You certainly should follow your morals/beliefs/etc... But just consider that the developer getting 85% of a vastly smaller audience and thereby a vastly smaller revenue amount would actually make the developer earn LESS money not more. As someone who regularly works with App Developers (bizdev stuff) I don't know ANY who are going to pursue another store because they don't want to decimate their revenues!

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
As a business, Apple has the right to charge whatever they want for providing the AppStore, app hosting, development tools, APIs, etc. It's up to the Developer to decide whether to accept it or not. If not happy, go develop for Android, Blackberry, Palm, etc.
Now they don’t have to, they can still keep their Apple sale at a bigger margin for themselves, how is that a bad thing?

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
You certainly should follow your morals/beliefs/etc... But just consider that the developer getting 85% of a vastly smaller audience and thereby a vastly smaller revenue amount would actually make the developer earn LESS money not more. As someone who regularly works with App Developers (bizdev stuff) I don't know ANY who are going to pursue another store because they don't want to decimate their revenues!
They can sell on both store, they don’t have to pick either or.

Don’t see how they would lose customers.

You also have to think smaller dev, once you put your app into the Apple Store you are one between too many other apps to be discovered, unless you pay to get promotion.

You might have better visibility in a smaller store.

Also EU is not that small of a market to begin with.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.