Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Has anyone asked how Apple Watch will work with e sim? I’m interested in using the esim as my personal number, but my watch is currently paired with my physical sim.

Could be a deal breaker for me.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Has anyone asked how Apple Watch will work with e sim? I’m interested in using the esim as my personal number, but my watch is currently paired with my physical sim.

I believe the watch has its own sim, which is tied to your iPhone. So there should be no conflict.

There: https://imgur.com/a/7aWQuwW

• The keypad dialer will always use the default line
  • When dialing using Contacts or recent calls, it will respect the tags (Primary or Secondary for example)
  • The Apple Watch can have more than one eSIM plan: if your secondary SIM provider supports the Watch, then you can add it too (it's greyed on my screenshots because I am roaming).

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

I switched the line my watch is tied to, to eSim and still works fine. On At&t at least.

gtmead09

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2016
So I see that Canada is not on the list of countries that support eSim. So if I activate my eSim in AT&T in the States, then travel to Canada, does anyone know if I can roam? My AT&T plan has Canada included, but I haven't been able to find a straight answer if I'll be able to use my phone in Canada.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
So I see that Canada is not on the list of countries that support eSim. So if I activate my eSim in AT&T in the States, then travel to Canada, does anyone know if I can roam? My AT&T plan has Canada included, but I haven't been able to find a straight answer if I'll be able to use my phone in Canada.

It will work just fine just as if you had a Nano SIM inside.

Check with your Canadian carrier though, they might support e-SIM. My carrier (Ooredoo Qatar) is one of the first to support it on iPhone XS yet Apple did not list them yet. Apple is usually slow updating this list, it took them over 4 months to show my carrier offering VoLTE when every single iPhone in the country was already on VoLTE.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

Your network needs to support eSim implementation, it doesn’t matter if the roaming network does or doesn’t, once the eSim is activated the other networks will ‘see’ it just like any other sim in a phone.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London

Bell will support eSIM: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209096
Also, has others have pointed out, it roams normally (I am roaming on AT&T eSIM in Canada right now).

Last edited:

hhzhao

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Anyone currently using eSim with AT&T, how did you get them to activate that? I called this morning and went through several so call "Sr. Support" (all sounded from India), not only they didn't get my eSim activated, but managed to deactivated my physical sim! I ended up to go to the local store to get another physical sim to have my service restored. While at store, no one had any idea to get eSIM activated either. Any insight or experiences sharing will be greatly appreciated.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Anyone currently using eSim with AT&T, how did you get them to activate that? I called this morning and went through several so call "Sr. Support" (all sounded from India), not only they didn't get my eSim activated, but managed to deactivated my physical sim! I ended up to go to the local store to get another physical sim to have my service restored. While at store, no one had any idea to get eSIM activated either. Any insight or experiences sharing will be greatly appreciated.

Once 12.1 drops today, you can go to an At&t store and get a physical eSim card, they have them, but only the managers probably know about them at this time. They have been activating them for over a week.
[doublepost=1540915137][/doublepost]Apparently Verizon eSim won't be available for a while according to the Verge. But they also state that using a physical sim as a secondary line won't work well or get LTE, which is untrue as my second line is Verizon and I get LTE and it works fine.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...izon-apple-dual-sim-esim-setup-issues-2g-cdma

Reactions: DeanL and hhzhao

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
So how does the e-sim change the process for those who are paying for an iPhone unlocking? Would they have to do TWO purchases, one per IMEI?

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
So how does the e-sim change the process for those who are paying for an iPhone unlocking? Would they have to do TWO purchases, one per IMEI?

According to the iOS 12.1 user guide, the answer is a Yes.

jashworth03

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Is there any risk in switching my primary line back from an eSim to a physical SIM?

In my case my personal line is on ATT, but I also have lines on Verizon and T-Mobile. Yesterday I went to an ATT store and moved my personal ATT line to an e-Sim and put in my physical T-Mobile sim card. That's working fine for now.

When Verizon and T-Mobile both offer e-Sim capability, I want to move my ATT line back to a physical sim card, and store both my TMO and VZW line as e-sims that I can swap on and off as needed. I can't use two e-sims at a time (my converted ATT and TMO when available), so I'll need to switch back at some point. Cause any issues?

rbalkun

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
There’s gonna be a lot of pissed off people getting esim equipped iPads on the 7th

rbalkun

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
The pictures indicate it still has a SIM slot.
Still they aren’t shipping with SIM cards like they normally do because esim was supposed to be working...imagine customers that aren’t living close to a store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.