Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
So here's a question. Apple's site says that you can have 1 of 3 options during setup:

1. Line 1 for voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just voice & texts
2. Line 2 or voice/texts/data, and line 1 for just voice & texts
3. Line 1 or voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just data.

But further down the page also shows the ability to change which number data comes from after setup is completed. My question is, if I have line 1 using voice/texts/data initially, and line 2 for just calls and texts, but later go into settings and change line 2 to be my data number, will that then disable calls on my line 2 number?

No, but it'll disable data on your other line. Otherwise there's a feature that makes the phone use the data plan of the line currently being used for a phone call, then flip back to the main one when the call is over.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
I have a Verizon sim and an AT&T esim. My Verizon and AT&T lines are both receiving LTE. No issues whatsoever.

They said (except for in that most recent article post) that the issue occurs when the Verizon line is set as the “secondary” phone line.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
I got my AT&T eSIM. An internal AT&T memo went out yesterday advising all AT&T employees to NOT hand out eSIM cards as they are not compatible yet. You might not have much luck unless you encounter one that hasn't read the memo. But rocking an AT&T eSIM and a Vodafone.de Prepaid SIM.

34 Volt

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
LA
I chatted with AT&T just now to add the eSIM to my phone. Apparently it’s not working and they won’t let me add it until Apple sends out a fix. Bummer.
IMG_0170.jpg

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Truphone joined the party, supporting eSIM for their multi-country MVNO setup (data plans). (Listed on Apple’s page as one of the providers “worldwide”.). They’re using an app to take payment and configure the eSIM.

Last edited:
Reactions: catean

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Maybe it was just that one person. I’ll give it another go with someone else, thanks.
It’s likely going to be everyone after today. With the memo that went out, all AT&T employees have explicit instructions not to hand out QR cards. So you will be hard pressed to find one that will give you an esim card. In addition to that. I may have discovered an issue where Personal Hotspot fails to connect. Need to do more testing first.

jessebkr87

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
For the ones that got in on it before they stopped providing eSIMs, did any of you add more than one eSIM to your phone? I’m curious to see the user interface for choosing a stored eSIM.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
So here's a question. Apple's site says that you can have 1 of 3 options during setup:

1. Line 1 for voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just voice & texts
2. Line 2 or voice/texts/data, and line 1 for just voice & texts
3. Line 1 or voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just data.

But further down the page also shows the ability to change which number data comes from after setup is completed. My question is, if I have line 1 using voice/texts/data initially, and line 2 for just calls and texts, but later go into settings and change line 2 to be my data number, will that then disable calls on my line 2 number?
This is perfect TMobile let's me text internationally. But data can sometimes be slow so second line for data will help. I use physical sim data chip can I default e sim to primary voice and text and data chip for just the data primary?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Very informative thread!

I have esim for my personal/primary account and real sim for work.

How do I send a SMS using my work line?

I’m finding this almost impossible.

I was roaming in Turkey the other day and wanted to send an SMS from my work line but no matter what I did when I sent a message it was coming from my personal line and I was being charged to send roaming a SMS.

Apple say in messages press the icon (top right) to create a new message then select the line to send it from. Problem if if you already have a conversation with a person when you press icon to create a new message then enter the recipient’s name it opens up the current thread and you can’t then select the line to use.

Such a simple process is so complex.

Can anybody do what I’m asking?

prithvi64

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
Very useful thread but sadly majority of carriers haven't started eSim process. I am in India and using Airtel network and response from them to activate eSIM. Is there any user using AIRTEL or JIO in India and has got eSIM activated?

cdcdoc

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I have activated my esim from Sunrise Switzerland this morning even though their carrier is not on Apple’s list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.