Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Or switch your Verizon esim?
Best not to plan that Verizon will be ready for that in December, when the OP plans to travel :-(
[doublepost=1541201454][/doublepost]
Truphone joined the party, supporting eSIM for their multi-country MVNO setup (data plans). (Listed on Apple’s page as one of the providers “worldwide”.). They’re using an app to take payment and configure the eSIM.
Their eSIM only supports 3G, even though US coverage for their other products includes 4G, according to support. That limitation is not mentioned anywhere on the web pages that I could find.
Also, no voice or SMS yet, although they indicate they hope to add that:
At the moment we have only Data plans, we are working on it to have also SMS and Voice plans but we don't have it Yet but maybe in a near future.

Reactions: Stridr69

rbalkun

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Just so ya guys know about the carrier updates...

Attachments

• 63893E0A-AD42-4924-BE2E-FDC8B1388815.png
    63893E0A-AD42-4924-BE2E-FDC8B1388815.png
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 356

Billymac19

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Phila, PA
does anyone know if verizon can at least swap my # from sim card to e-sim to do away with the nano, or is even that on hold til end of year?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
What do you guys think of this? (The fact that Apple didn't include a eSIM persistant Find my iPhone feature)?

Q: Does the eSIM survive a restore?
A: Yes.

Q: Does that mean I can always locate a lost iPhone?
A: No.
In fact, Apple missed what could have been the greatest feature of all time: as per these screenshots and video, an iPhone with eSIM activated has the eSIM profile persist restores, even DFU restores. That means that a thief can’t just throw away your SIM and call it a day.
BUT… It can’t be located. It won’t get past Activation Lock, but you won’t be able to locate it either even though your lost phone is technically connected to the internet.
Fix that, Apple.​

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
What do you guys think of this? (The fact that Apple didn't include a eSIM persistant Find my iPhone feature)?

Q: Does the eSIM survive a restore?
A:
Yes.

Q: Does that mean I can always locate a lost iPhone?
A: No.
In fact, Apple missed what could have been the greatest feature of all time: as per these screenshots and video, an iPhone with eSIM activated has the eSIM profile persist restores, even DFU restores. That means that a thief can’t just throw away your SIM and call it a day.
BUT… It can’t be located. It won’t get past Activation Lock, but you won’t be able to locate it either even though your lost phone is technically connected to the internet.
Fix that, Apple.​
It doesn’t sound simple to me. The owner may have turned off the SIMs on purpose (perhaps while traveling to avoid roaming charges).
How would the lost phone know it’s lost and it should activate one of the SIMs (eSIM or physical SIM) to search for “find me” signals? How would it do that without incurring roaming charges (if the phone was exported after theft)?

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Best not to plan that Verizon will be ready for that in December, when the OP plans to travel :-(
[doublepost=1541201454][/doublepost]
Their eSIM only supports 3G, even though US coverage for their other products includes 4G, according to support. That limitation is not mentioned anywhere on the web pages that I could find.
Also, no voice or SMS yet, although they indicate they hope to add that:
Verizon May have the largest network, but they are always behind.

vickysud

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Successfully activated my eSIM today and everything is working good but i have one doubt, if i want to completely restore/reset my phone will the eSIM data be deleted ?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Successfully activated my eSIM today and everything is working good but i have one doubt, if i want to completely restore/reset my phone will the eSIM data be deleted ?

It's one of the first answers in the Q&A: it persists restores.
To remove it you have to go in the settings and remove it.

Reactions: M.Rizk

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Please will somebody tell me how to send an SMS using line 2 to somebody you have an existing conversation with.

You can't. You can't have two conversations with the same person on two different numbers. You need to delete your existing conversation to be able to start a new one with a different SIM profile.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
That is a HUUUUUGE failure if you ask me.

I have some very important conversations with people over many months including photos and documents and I’m supposed to just delete them all to send an SMS from my work line???

Whoever thought this was a great idea needs their head looking in to. I may as well just go back to carrying 2 phones.

What a poor implementation of a potentially brilliant system.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
What if you have them send you a message to the other line? I don’t have an answer, as I always delete my messages. If there’s something I want to save, I’ll forward it to notes.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
What if you have them send you a message to the other line? I don’t have an answer, as I always delete my messages. If there’s something I want to save, I’ll forward it to notes.

OMG what a clusterfu*k this is turning out to be.

I just asked somebody to SMS me to my work number. It came through as green on the iMessage thread but then you are STUCK in green SMS forever. You cannot change it back to iMessage no matter what you do in the phone.

The only fix is to delete your entire conversation again and start over with iMessage.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London

I just tested: If someone sends you a text to the other line, the iPhone force changes the line of the conversation. https://imgur.com/g6tWFxI
[doublepost=1541262982][/doublepost]
That is a HUUUUUGE failure if you ask me.

I have some very important conversations with people over many months including photos and documents and I’m supposed to just delete them all to send an SMS from my work line???

Whoever thought this was a great idea needs their head looking in to. I may as well just go back to carrying 2 phones.

What a poor implementation of a potentially brilliant system.
OMG what a clusterfu*k this is turning out to be.

I just asked somebody to SMS me to my work number. It came through as green on the iMessage thread but then you are STUCK in green SMS forever. You cannot change it back to iMessage no matter what you do in the phone.

The only fix is to delete your entire conversation again and start over with iMessage.

It's not poor implementation. There is literally no practical scenario in the world where you want someone to be texting you to two different phone numbers. If it's a travel SIM, when you deactivate the line, it switches to the other line.
If it's a business line... Why are you texting the same person from 2 different numbers?
[doublepost=1541263135][/doublepost]I might have been also too complicated from a usability perspective. What if you send something by accident to the wrong line? Like a nude from the business line instead of the personal?

Reactions: M.Rizk

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
When the other person SMSs you, you are now permanently stuck in green SMS mode until THEY send you an iMessage. They control the thread not you.

To answer your question why I would want to text the same person from 2 different numbers is VERY simple.

I work for a company and work abroad several times a month. In many counties my personal data plan is not covered in that country and SMS’s are very expensive. Say 70p/$1 each. So when I am away and need to text back home I use my business mobile. My company pays the bill. Get it?

So now I am sending messages to the same person via 2 different numbers. Don’t know where you live or how much you travel but everybody I know here (Europe) does the same when away on business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.