Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
The point is now none of them can be activated when recieved due to none having working sims installed

Sorry, I am not sure I understand your comment.
If an iPhone is bought unlocked, it doesn't require a SIM to pass the activation anymore, and I think it has been like this since iOS 12. I tried it last weekend with a XR I bought just for testing.

rbalkun

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Right, but by the way he said it it made it sound like it would just be unusable.
It would just piss me off I just spent over a grand for an iPad and now I have to go to another store to buy a sim because carriers couldn’t properly test stuff.
[doublepost=1540928761][/doublepost]
Sorry, I am not sure I understand your comment.
If an iPhone is bought unlocked, it doesn't require a SIM to pass the activation anymore, and I think it has been like this since iOS 12. I tried it last weekend with a XR I bought just for testing.
Sorry stated it poorly, I mean people receiving the new iPads now have to run out to a carrier store to get a sim instead of activating cellular when they get it because of having no working sim coming with it.

Anonymous ATT Rep

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Hey MacRumors and @DeanLubaki ,

Hate to break your hearts, but AT&T today has told us that they have decided NOT to support dual SIM with eSIM for now. This doesn’t change the activation for iPads and watches, but don’t call customer service and don’t go into a store because they cannot activate it for you. Sorry I don’t have better news.

Will keep everyone posted when this changes. Don’t ask me any questions because I won’t be responding after this.

Love,

Anonymous ATT Rep

Reactions: njcyx6649250

njcyx6649250

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2016

Hate to break your hearts, but AT&T today has told us that they have decided NOT to support dual SIM with eSIM for now. This doesn’t change the activation for iPads and watches, but don’t call customer service and don’t go into a store because they cannot activate it for you. Sorry I don’t have better news.

Will keep everyone posted when this changes. Don’t ask me any questions because I won’t be responding after this.

Love,

Anonymous ATT Rep

I bet you are from att's competitor, like vzw or tmobile, lol.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

Love,

Anonymous ATT Rep

And yet there is a massive thread of AT&T customers already with active eSim...

Reactions: DeanL

Hookem99

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
KEDC
And yet there is a massive thread of AT&T customers already with active eSim...

I just had a chat session with AT&T, where they blamed Apple for a “flaw in the software” for not activating dual sim right now. Said all carriers having this issue, and should be resolved by the end of the year.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
No clue man, can only speak for my experience. Sounds like there is a lot of unknowns with the AT&T reps.

Early on in that thread (I think it was that thread) a user who’s an AT&T manager said only the managers had training on esim at the time he posted, probably a lot of dumb reps who haven’t got a clue either.

Hookem99

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
KEDC
Early on in that thread (I think it was that thread) a user who’s an AT&T manager said only the managers had training on esim at the time he posted, probably a lot of dumb reps who haven’t got a clue either.

I’d bet you’re right!

Reactions: d123

jashworth03

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I’d bet you’re right!

For what it’s worth none of the corporate stores around me had any clue. I took a flyer on an authorized reseller and they had me moved 5 minutes after walking in.

Getting the QR sim is the most important part. Then you can walk the rep thru activation or call it in.

hhzhao

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2018
Northeast Ohio
For what it’s worth none of the corporate stores around me had any clue. I took a flyer on an authorized reseller and they had me moved 5 minutes after walking in.

Getting the QR sim is the most important part. Then you can walk the rep thru activation or call it in.
Would you mind share which authorized reseller that you have gotten the QC sim? I have visited two local AT&T store, none of them even had the clue what I was asking. They do, however, keep ask me to give them the "eSIM box" in order to active eSIM...... What a frustrated process.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Guys:
As long as you can get the QR Code, you can activate the eSIM yourself online or over the phone. All you need to give them is the ICCID.

Also, this thread is not just about AT&T. There's more than the US out there guys!
Bell and Virgin Mobile Canada support it for example.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Guys:
As long as you can get the QR Code, you can activate the eSIM yourself online or over the phone. All you need to give them is the ICCID.

Also, this thread is not just about AT&T. There's more than the US out there guys!
Bell and Virgin Mobile Canada support it for example.

It looks like EE in the UK will be using an online page to activate the eSim.

They’ve tweeted that eSims can be collected in store or from their telesales from 8am tomorrow.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I find the implementation used by Vodafone DE and Ooredoo Qatar to be the best yet. e-SIM is supposed to be hassle free and an all digital experience! Why have the customers head to a store and get a piece of plastic. Carriers going to be carriers I guess.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wouldn't be surprised if the delay with AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile is due to them considering how to structure plans and or fees around the new eSIM usage. The carriers stand to lose money with many people using the new phones, because they can get service with carrier X without needing to get a phone (or new phone) with the service (as it stands now).

The carriers have had access to the betas for months. I am not buying the story that this is all Apple's fault and because of that, eSIM won't be ready until the end of the year.

hhzhao

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Just had a chart with AT&T, I got the same corporate answer: ",,,,, eSIM support has encountered a issue with poor visual VM and other functions. AT&T has been working with Apple to have the software update before the end of the year to fully support eSIM. ......" However, the rep continued as "...... eSIM can only be activated in store with QR sim card. It is available now at the store. But it is AT&T's recommendation that you should wait until later of this year to go to store and activate to avoid any issue of poor performance with certain functions...."

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
The Dual SIM FAQ for the Apple Watch really hurts my brain. There are so many situations and conditions listed. I am glad they did their best to support the feature on the Watch though.

Would be crazy if the next Apple Watch supported Dual eSIM but I could see it happening. I am still hoping for a worldwide edition with complete LTE band support first though.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
It's interesting to note that Bell/Virgin Mobile Canada use an activation method different from AT&T and other carriers.
Bell/Virgin Mobile Canada asks for your EID and IMEI, and then you only input the SM-DP+ address and the iPhone retrieve the profile, as opposed to AT&T which requires to get a physical eSIM to scan, and doesn't ask for EID or IMEI.

This is one of the 3 eSIM activation methods specified by the GSMA.

Reactions: Shadow Jolteon

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Ooredoo and Vodafone Qatar both offering unlimited data to those who switch to e-SIM. Carriers all around the world are excited for the tech while US carriers nickel and dime their users.

Ooredoo Qatar eSIM FAQ: Already in first post

Vodafone Qatar eSIM FAQ: https://www.vodafone.qa/en/esim

b52ac8157f218bbc0bc99a8e17e4e64b.jpg

e32bba86d0a5e20dc0fc39118c33b033.jpg

Reactions: DeanL and Synomenon

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
So here's a question. Apple's site says that you can have 1 of 3 options during setup:

1. Line 1 for voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just voice & texts
2. Line 2 or voice/texts/data, and line 1 for just voice & texts
3. Line 1 or voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just data.

But further down the page also shows the ability to change which number data comes from after setup is completed. My question is, if I have line 1 using voice/texts/data initially, and line 2 for just calls and texts, but later go into settings and change line 2 to be my data number, will that then disable calls on my line 2 number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.