Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I can't seem to remove an old cellular plan which I no longer use (sim card)

So I have my Primary as Esim using T-mobile and for a while I was using a verizon pre-paid plan via Sim card. that plan expired so I removed the sim card, rebooted the phone, reset network settings.... but the verizon plan still comes up in my list of plans without the ability to click in to it or remove it.

I see the option under reset network settings to remove all cellular plans but I don't want to do that since it would remove my T-mobile E-sim plan and it's a PITA to get them to add that back.

Does anyone know if this is a beta glitch or am I missing something?

Once you remove the data plan, go under Settings > Mobile Data, and under the lines where you see "No SIM", tap on it. It will ask you to update contacts. Select one of your active lines.
After that, it will disappear for good.

Reactions: bigjnyc

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Once you remove the data plan, go under Settings > Mobile Data, and under the lines where you see "No SIM", tap on it. It will ask you to update contacts. Select one of your active lines.
After that, it will disappear for good.

That worked, thanks!

Reactions: DeanL

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
As to the 'variables', there are 2 models of iPhone that support dual SIM, and there can only ever be one physical SIM and an eSIM. Hardly billions of resulting scenarios.

Couldn't be less correct.

Hum, lol. There is the iPhone XS A1920, A2097, A2098 (Japan), A2100 (China mainland); the iPhone XS Max A1921, A2101, A2102 (Japan), A2104 (China mainland) and; the iPhone XR A1984, A2105, A2106 (Japan), A2108 (China mainland). Each of these devices are different.

Not all of these devices have eSIM (A2104, A2108) or even dual sim of any kind (A2100).

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Couldn't be less correct.

Not all of these devices have eSIM (A2104, A2108) or even dual sim of any kind (A2100).
Whatever. I guess we should all just throw our hands up and not try to find a resolution, instead just accepting any old crap we're given. If you don't have something productive to offer why bother.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
I can receive calls on the number associated with my physical sim, but there is just no way to make calls. No choice of line in the phone app and if I call a recent it tells me the line is no longer available. But if I go into mobile setting I can see both my eSim and physical sim lines configured correctly.If I disable the esim line, the signal bars change as does the provider, and I can make calls via the physical sim number. Proper broken.
I have DB3 on a Max with dual sims. No problems at all. None of what you describe and can’t find anything else not working as expected with dual sim. Maybe it’s related to your physical sim card itself. You could have it swapped to see if that solves your problem. (Yes, I did read that it works for you with iOS 12 but maybe 13 has unknown problems with certain sim cards?).

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Whatever. I guess we should all just throw our hands up and not try to find a resolution, instead just accepting any old crap we're given. If you don't have something productive to offer why bother.

LOL I proposed solutions to you but you want someone else to try before you do.
Everyone acts like that so in the end we can never verify whether or not something works.
I’d try it, but I don’t have any issues.

You might as well restore to iOS 12 like some other people did

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Have some questions about eSIM.. just switched my physical SIM over to e, (so not using dual, just eSIM). The Rogers rep said dont restore the phone or it'll wipe the eSIM data and ill have to pay $10 for another eSIM card/QRC or reactivate my physical SIM.

Is this true? If it is, does making a backup, restoring as new, then restoring the backup also bring back the eSIM data?

Does wiping all NETWORK settings remove my eSIM data? Does wiping ALL SETTINGS, remove my eSIM data?

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Have some questions about eSIM.. just switched my physical SIM over to e, (so not using dual, just eSIM). The Rogers rep said dont restore the phone or it'll wipe the eSIM data and ill have to pay $10 for another eSIM card/QRC or reactivate my physical SIM.

Is this true? If it is, does making a backup, restoring as new, then restoring the backup also bring back the eSIM data?

Does wiping all NETWORK settings remove my eSIM data? Does wiping ALL SETTINGS, remove my eSIM data?
eSIM is not backed up and can’t be restored any other way than with a new QRC.
I have read elsewhere that wiping the phone does not effect the eSIM—it will still be there until you actually choose to delete it.
You will always have to get a new eSIM if you switch phone.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London

He lied, they don't know what they're talking about.
- Restoring via iTunes does not wipe the eSIM.
- When resetting by going to Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings, you're given the choice to reset and keep the eSIM or reset and erase it.
- Resetting Network Settings do not erase the eSIM.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
He lied, they don't know what they're talking about.
- Restoring via iTunes does not wipe the eSIM.
- When resetting by going to Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings, you're given the choice to reset and keep the eSIM or reset and erase it.
- Resetting Network Settings do not erase the eSIM.

Thanks

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have DB3 on a Max with dual sims. No problems at all. None of what you describe and can’t find anything else not working as expected with dual sim. Maybe it’s related to your physical sim card itself. You could have it swapped to see if that solves your problem. (Yes, I did read that it works for you with iOS 12 but maybe 13 has unknown problems with certain sim cards?).

The physical SIM works with iOS 13 too. I can receive calls on the number of the physical SIM and I can also disable the eSIM primary line and then call out via the physical SIM.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
It's still a variable in terms of the hardware supported for a specific iOS version or even a single IPSW...

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
It's still a variable in terms of the hardware supported for a specific iOS version or even a single IPSW...

That was my point. In fact it's potentially more variables, since you're looking at changes in both baseband and sim presence between those various models you listed. It's definitely not just 2 as the other guy said.

Reactions: DeanL

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
That was my point. In fact it's potentially more variables, since you're looking at changes in both baseband and sim presence between those various models you listed. It's definitely not just 2 as the other guy said.
Ooo I see haha

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Just experienced that iMessages with dual SIM uses the wrong number when sending messages. I sent from my work number but when checking afterwards it uses my private number, which is my default number. Then I tried with several others and it always uses my private number for iMessages even though all settings are correct and I choose my work number.
This one is really scarry since it’s not ordinary to dig into the menus afterwards and check if the correct number is used.
Using latest beta version.

pamar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
Just experienced that iMessages with dual SIM uses the wrong number when sending messages. I sent from my work number but when checking afterwards it uses my private number, which is my default number. Then I tried with several others and it always uses my private number for iMessages even though all settings are correct and I choose my work number.
This one is really scarry since it’s not ordinary to dig into the menus afterwards and check if the correct number is used.
Using latest beta version.

Are you starting a new conversation? If not, there was always the limitation of not being able to switch which number you are using unless you delete th entire conversation. Be default an existing conversation uses the number you have used previously (unless it was physically removed as a sim card)
[doublepost=1562657371][/doublepost]Guys, based on your messages it is unclear whether there is a issue with the dual sim functionality that is related to iOS 13 beta. When I updated the first time my dual sim was working properly. Now based on your comments I am afraid to update again (I changed devices so I am back iOS 12).

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Are you starting a new conversation? If not, there was always the limitation of not being able to switch which number you are using unless you delete th entire conversation. Be default an existing conversation uses the number you have used previously (unless it was physically removed as a sim card)
[doublepost=1562657371][/doublepost]Guys, based on your messages it is unclear whether there is a issue with the dual sim functionality that is related to iOS 13 beta. When I updated the first time my dual sim was working properly. Now based on your comments I am afraid to update again (I changed devices so I am back iOS 12).
When I start a NEW conversation from my work number it’s being sent from my private number. I have my private number as default data number.

pamar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
When I start a NEW conversation from my work number it’s being sent from my private number. I have my private number as default data number.

It uses the default number for the contact. Also, there is a difference between default line and mobile data line. Finally, if it is an imessage then the number used is selected under the Messages settings.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
It uses the default number for the contact. Also, there is a difference between default line and mobile data line. Finally, if it is an imessage then the number used is selected under the Messages settings.
The problem is for real.
I have Work as default for the contact I sent the message to and it also said on the screen it was going to be sent using Work. But when it was sent, the person called me back asking if I have a new phone number. I then checked the info for the sent message and it had been sent from my Private number. No doubt this is a bug and not a fault from my settings.
Btw, I know very well there’s a difference between default line and default mobile data line. As I said—it’s clearly a bug and the problem is that since people seldom check the info for NEW sent iMessages people don’t know it was sent from the wrong number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.