Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have same problem but with eSIM. Physical SIM works, I can’t see eSIM. But I can recieve SMS and calls on that line.
I installed iOS 13 dev beta 3 and my physical sim line is shown in mobile data but I don’t get the dual signal bars and can’t place a call on my physical sim line. Show stopper for me unless someone has a fix?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I can receive calls on the number associated with my physical sim, but there is just no way to make calls. No choice of line in the phone app and if I call a recent it tells me the line is no longer available. But if I go into mobile setting I can see both my eSim and physical sim lines configured correctly.If I disable the esim line, the signal bars change as does the provider, and I can make calls via the physical sim number. Proper broken.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
I can receive calls on the number associated with my physical sim, but there is just no way to make calls. No choice of line in the phone app and if I call a recent it tells me the line is no longer available. But if I go into mobile setting I can see both my eSim and physical sim lines configured correctly.If I disable the esim line, the signal bars change as does the provider, and I can make calls via the physical sim number. Proper broken.

Yep, exactly the same behaviour. Reported to Apple in the first beta but doesn't appear to have been touched.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yep, exactly the same behaviour. Reported to Apple in the first beta but doesn't appear to have been touched.

Thankfully I did a full iTunes backup last night before installing the 13 beta, and I held off updating my watch to watchOS 6 beta. Will downgrade and restore back until this is fixed

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I’m having exact same issue, esim primary working but not physical sim secondary
Can’t believe Apple won’t fix it, I know it’s beta but this is a phone after all and yet they put crap in like new emojis ffs

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I’m having exact same issue, esim primary working but not physical sim secondary
Can’t believe Apple won’t fix it, I know it’s beta but this is a phone after all and yet they put crap in like new emojis ffs

It’s a beta. They should not have released the public beta yet though as the public doesn’t understand what a beta is.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
It’s a beta. They should not have released the public beta yet though as the public doesn’t understand what a beta is.
Nah the ones who don’t know what a beta is wouldn’t even know about it or bother with it.
Bare minimum a public beta should work as a phone including dual sim

Reactions: Lyn2012

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

Thanks Captain Obvious .... We know it's a beta, however beta or not you wouldn't expect a beta to break such a fundamental feature of the phone.

I've reverted back and all is well with dual SIM again.

Last edited:
Reactions: twynne

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
.... We know it's a beta, however beta for not you wouldn't expect a beta to break such a fundamental.

Agree completely... a phone should work as a phone first and foremost. I for one abandoned my work phone when it became possible to have just one (As I suspect will many) do this is all the more critical. I accept its a beta, but basic functions Such as this should be well tested before releasing a beta.

Reactions: MrGimper

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Agree completely... a phone should work as a phone first and foremost. I for one abandoned my work phone when it became possible to have just one (As I suspect will many) do this is all the more critical. I accept its a beta, but basic functions Such as this should be well tested before releasing a beta.
I don't have any issues with the eSIM.
Maybe try to delete the eSIM and set it up again?

But also, the beta is for developers to use on separate device, not their main device. That has always been clear.
There are billions of devices with billions of different variables. It is impossible for Apple to test all scenarios. It is possible that your cases are unique: I personally have no issues, and my friends don't either.
Report the issue with the Feedback App and you'll have to wait.
If you don't report the issue in Feedback, don't expect Apple to do anything.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
To be clear, the developer release is for developers. The whole purpose of a beta programme is to gather feedback from wider use.

As to the 'variables', there are 2 models of iPhone that support dual SIM, and there can only ever be one physical SIM and an eSIM. Hardly billions of resulting scenarios.

Finally, as I noted it was reported in the first beta. Nothing has changed. I'm not blaming anyone, just trying to find solutions.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
As to the 'variables', there are 2 models of iPhone that support dual SIM, and there can only ever be one physical SIM and an eSIM. Hardly billions of resulting scenarios.

Hum, lol. There is the iPhone XS A1920, A2097, A2098 (Japan), A2100 (China mainland); the iPhone XS Max A1921, A2101, A2102 (Japan), A2104 (China mainland) and; the iPhone XR A1984, A2105, A2106 (Japan), A2108 (China mainland). Each of these devices are different.
On top of that, every user of these devices have a variety of different settings. These settings can affect whether a glitch happens or not. That's were the many scenarios happen. iOS is more complex than you think. It could be something as random as one setting toggle that's on that doesn't even have anything to do with eSIM and breaks it.

From what I understand, you haven't tried to delete the eSIM and add it again. Try that ;)

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
The eSIM works perfectly, it's the physical SIM not appearing despite being enabled in settings. And yes, of course I've removed and reinserted. No difference.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
The eSIM works perfectly, it's the physical SIM not appearing despite being enabled in settings. And yes, of course I've removed and reinserted. No difference.

If you carrier makes it easy to swap the eSIM online or over the phone, then it's worth trying to delete all traces of eSIM, removing your physical SIM, and resetting your network settings.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
My understanding is that you need a new QR code to set up another eSIM line. For EE that has to be either in store or by post. It's far too risky at this point in any case.

Has anyone else following this thread tried to reset network settings? I'm loathe to attempt that if it's known to make no difference to this issue.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks Captain Obvious .... We know it's a beta, however beta or not you wouldn't expect a beta to break such a fundamental feature of the phone.

I've reverted back and all is well with dual SIM again.

Again it’s a beta and anything can break. Everyone in the Apple sphere are warning people not to install the beta. Biggest mistake is Apple making it public. If you installed the dev beta before the public beta you have even less to complain about.

Reactions: DeanL

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
It really makes me laugh when people will excuse Apple anything
In a public beta, it should be good enough to use basic functions like phone app as daily driver. With all the staff and resources Apple have there really is no excuse for this. Not for a public beta anyway

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Again it’s a beta and anything can break. Everyone in the Apple sphere are warning people not to install the beta. Biggest mistake is Apple making it public. If you installed the dev beta before the public beta you have even less to complain about.

Obviously anything can break, and this is evidence of that. Still didn’t mean it should break tho.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
It really makes me laugh when people will excuse Apple anything
In a public beta, it should be good enough to use basic functions like phone app as daily driver. With all the staff and resources Apple have there really is no excuse for this. Not for a public beta anyway

The reason why Apple made it public is because mainstream people were installing it anyway...

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
For the guys who are having issues with the cell signal not showing for both carriers, have both carrier settings been updated? I have 36.5.5 on one and 36.5.8 showing for the other. I believe my carrier settings in iOS 12 were 31.x.x

I haven’t had any cell or data problems either since updating to iOS 13 beta.

mmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sydney
My understanding is that you need a new QR code to set up another eSIM line. For EE that has to be either in store or by post. It's far too risky at this point in any case.

Has anyone else following this thread tried to reset network settings? I'm loathe to attempt that if it's known to make no difference to this issue.

i reverted back to ios 12 as i will be travelling soon and need dual sim.

while i was having ios13, I did reset network settings and strangely it did not work, ie) it did not reset network settings, normally after doing a network setting reset, it will forget all the paired Bluetooth and wifi networks but in my case it did not.

reset network setting, even if it works will not delete you e-sim unless you specify to remove it.

i did a DFU restore to ios12 and my e-sim was intact, no issues.

i just had trouble re-enabling number share to the watch and had to call the carrier.

my scenario with ios 13 and dual sim is the phone knows there is a second sim and if someone calls your second sim the phone will ring, it is just you cant call them back in your second number.

if you have to use the second number, then you will have to go to settings and change the second number to primary and turn off the e-sim plan to make the physical sim active and could make outbound calls on the physical sim.

too much work, so reverted back to ios12

will update when the GM is available

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
For the guys who are having issues with the cell signal not showing for both carriers, have both carrier settings been updated? I have 36.5.5 on one and 36.5.8 showing for the other. I believe my carrier settings in iOS 12 were 31.x.x

I haven’t had any cell or data problems either since updating to iOS 13 beta.
I've got 36.5.5 and 36.5.7 for Voda and EE respectively

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
i reverted back to ios 12 as i will be travelling soon and need dual sim.

while i was having ios13, I did reset network settings and strangely it did not work, ie) it did not reset network settings, normally after doing a network setting reset, it will forget all the paired Bluetooth and wifi networks but in my case it did not.

reset network setting, even if it works will not delete you e-sim unless you specify to remove it.

i did a DFU restore to ios12 and my e-sim was intact, no issues.

i just had trouble re-enabling number share to the watch and had to call the carrier.

my scenario with ios 13 and dual sim is the phone knows there is a second sim and if someone calls your second sim the phone will ring, it is just you cant call them back in your second number.

if you have to use the second number, then you will have to go to settings and change the second number to primary and turn off the e-sim plan to make the physical sim active and could make outbound calls on the physical sim.

too much work, so reverted back to ios12

will update when the GM is available

Exactly my experience!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I can't seem to remove an old cellular plan which I no longer use (sim card)

So I have my Primary as Esim using T-mobile and for a while I was using a verizon pre-paid plan via Sim card. that plan expired so I removed the sim card, rebooted the phone, reset network settings.... but the verizon plan still comes up in my list of plans without the ability to click in to it or remove it.

I see the option under reset network settings to remove all cellular plans but I don't want to do that since it would remove my T-mobile E-sim plan and it's a PITA to get them to add that back.

Does anyone know if this is a beta glitch or am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.