Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks! I realized that waking up a bit earlier than I should, taking time in the first hour of the morning to do all the small things with some peace of mind - instead of rushing out - is an optimal way to start the day.

In theory, yes, and, at week-ends, I can achieve this tranquil state of mind, and - objectively, at least, I can applaud it.

Unfortunately, I am naturally sluggish in the mornings (hence the warm welcome for caffeine, which operates, for me, at times, not unlike the crankshaft one would see on ancient motor-cars), and, thus, do not remotely resemble those bright-eyes, bushy-tailed, morning creatures of yore.

Enjoyed my coffee this morning, though.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Earl gray in the PM, while reading the first pages of the giant book on the Soviet-American relations (1969-1972). It’s incredibly interesting, and the tea made me feel like a historian (which I am definitely not...).

Reactions: 0388631

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Post-meditation 4am coffee, followed by some reading and silence. 5am light breakfast (coffee and one egg, over easy).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Post-meditation 4am coffee, followed by some reading and silence. 5am light breakfast (coffee and one egg, over easy).

Eggs sunny side up, or eggs over easy, were terms that had to be explained to me - they are not what we use This Side Of The Pond.

But enjoy your coffee and eggs, howsoever served.

Yes, I could effortlessly handle a good coffee at 4 a.m. Preferably an espresso to start, followed by something which plays host to milk.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Eggs sunny side up, or eggs over easy, were terms that had to be explained to me - they are not what we use This Side Of The Pond.

Ah! This is interesting! How do you call them?

But enjoy your coffee and eggs, howsoever served.

Thanks!!

Yes, I could effortlessly handle a good coffee at 4 a.m. Preferably an espresso to start, followed by something which plays host to milk.

I am not a big fan of milk in the mornings, however I admit that sometimes I have my morning cappuccino.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah! This is interesting! How do you call them?

Thanks!!

[quite]

I am not a big fan of milk in the mornings, however I admit that sometimes I have my morning cappuccino.[/QUOTE]

Exactly; a morning cappuccino - or flat white, or something of the sort - can be very soothing; but first, an espresso.

Just now, I am sipping a mug (Le Creuset) of lovely coffee, full fat organic milk and organic brown sugar added.

Must try @JamesMike's suggestion of honey in coffee; I've tried it in teas, on occasion, and hot drinks when I was feeling low with a cold, but never with coffee.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Plan for today: Wake up at 4:30am, meditate, drink coffee while reading some positive text, read the WSJ, prepare to go to work, go to work.

Reality: Woke up at 6:30am, said quite a few blasphemous things after realizing how late it was, prepared a mug of coffee that I drank at the fastest speed in human history possibly causing the burning of a few internal organs, cleaned and dressed up barely looking at what I was putting on, left the house in a rush.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Plan for today: Wake up at 4:30am, meditate, drink coffee while reading some positive text, read the WSJ, prepare to go to work, go to work.

Reality: Woke up at 6:30am, said quite a few blasphemous things after realizing how late it was, prepared a mug of coffee that I drank at the fastest speed in human history possibly causing the burning of a few internal organs, cleaned and dressed up barely looking at what I was putting on, left the house in a rush.

Scalded tongue, no, not a good idea.

Rushed coffee, not a great idea, either.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thoroughly enjoyed my coffee - a relaxed mug of coffee - this morning.

For once, (and I think this may have contributed to my enjoyment) I did not watch/listen to/or read the news while sipping my coffee.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Peace of mind - which hardly goes hand in hand with the news - truly improves the taste of coffee.

Usually, - as with yourself - I am a keen, nay avid - consumer of current affairs.

But, sometimes, just sometimes, in order to be able to appreciate, sip and savour one's cup of coffee, current affairs may need to be consigned to temporary banishment.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Usually, - as with yourself - I am a keen, nay avid - consumer of current affairs.

But, sometimes, just sometimes, in order to be able to appreciate, sip and savour one's cup of coffee, current affairs may need to be consigned to temporary banishment.

I wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes the brain needs a break to refocus on the pleasant parts of life; the first cup of coffee of the day is undoubtfully one of them, and it should be protected even at the cost of some (temporary) ignorance of current affairs. The world can wait.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.