Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes the brain needs a break to refocus on the pleasant parts of life; the first cup of coffee of the day is undoubtfully one of them, and it should be protected even at the cost of some (temporary) ignorance of current affairs. The world can wait.

For pure pleasure, and sheer enjoyment, little beats my first cup of coffee of the day.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Having a lovely coffee from Ethiopia this morning. Made in my cafetière. Lovely and mellow.

2747ec94d3c6bfec1b3a71d19a20cbc5.jpg

f46165cc8346aeb66218551a597ae65f.jpg

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Woke up at 4AM. Meditation and coffee. Read a few pages from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations and passages of the Bhagavad Gita . Then, with more coffee at hand, read the newspapers. All of it followed up by a light breakfast (Cappuccino and one egg, over easy) before heading to work.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Woke up at 4AM. Meditation and coffee. Read a few pages from Marcus Aurelius' Meditations and passages of the Bhagavad Gita . Then, with more coffee at hand, read the newspapers. All of it followed up by a light breakfast (Cappuccino and one egg, over easy) before heading to work.

Coffee and Marcus Aurelius, meet with my complete approval and approbation.

Meditation, also, but I have yet to master this, although the concept attracts me.

But, a 4 a.m. start?

Ooooh.

Unless I have a train or plane to catch, that is not when my day commences.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Coffee and Marcus Aurelius, meet with my complete approval and approbation.

Thanks! My opinion is that reading classics from thousands of years ago really helps finding different ways to look at the world. It also helps me notice how the human mind (and many of its reasonings and problems) didn't really change throughout the centuries.

Meditation, also, but I have yet to master this, although the concept attracts me.

You should really try it. I certainly don't buy all the "miracles" that some teachers (good faith and bad faith ones) claim, but I find it a truly helpful practice.
I recommend two apps:
1GiantMind - This is mantra based, nondirective effortless meditation; 20 minutes a day. It's guided for the first couple of minutes, then it's completely silent (or with some light background music) until the end. This is my favorite. 100% free.
Calm - This is "mindfulness" based (mostly breathing or body scans). There are different sessions and types. It's usually guided throughout its entirety, so to me it's a bit distracting. However, I must admit that it's incredibly well made and it's by far the most popular app and meditation method. It's generally free, with a subscription to unlock more material. (Curiously, the app provides even bedtime stories read by professional readers or actors).
There are other apps such as headspace, or 10% happier, but I am not really familiar with them.

But, a 4 a.m. start?

Not easy, I would say!

Unless I have a train or plane to catch, that is not when my day commences.

Well, you're the reasonable one among the two of us :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks! My opinion is that reading classics from thousands of years ago really helps finding different ways to look at the world. It also helps me notice how the human mind (and many of its reasonings and problems) didn't really change throughout the centuries.

You should really try it. I certainly don't buy all the "miracles" that some teachers (good faith and bad faith ones) claim, but I find it a truly helpful practice.
I recommend two apps:
1GiantMind - This is mantra based, nondirective effortless meditation; 20 minutes a day. It's guided for the first couple of minutes, then it's completely silent (or with some light background music) until the end. This is my favorite. 100% free.
Calm - This is "mindfulness" based (mostly breathing or body scans). There are different sessions and types. It's usually guided throughout its entirety, so to me it's a bit distracting. However, I must admit that it's incredibly well made and it's by far the most popular app and meditation method. It's generally free, with a subscription to unlock more material. (Curiously, the app provides even bedtime stories read by professional readers or actors).
There are other apps such as headspace, or 10% happier, but I am not really familiar with them.

Not easy, I would say!

Well, you're the reasonable one among the two of us :)

Agree that the classics of the past thousands have much to teach us, and that reading them can be enlightening and strange uplifting and cathartic.

The very best student I ever taught - who has been a close friend for years - gave me a gift of an exquisitely beautiful edition of the writings of Rumi on the day of my mother's funeral, after the funeral luncheon.

Needless to say, the occasion alone would have made the gift significant, but the writings are wonderful to explore.

And I have long been struck by the fact that writings may make total sense - that you "get" it, in a certain way, at a particular time (or age) in your life, that would have been incomprehensible, or simply not interesting, at an earlier time of life.

I have been meaning to look into meditation for years; thank you for these recommendations.

By the way, I am enjoying a most pleasant mug of coffee as I write.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Agree that the classics of the past thousands have much to teach us, and that reading them can be enlightening and strange uplifting and cathartic.

I concur wholeheartedly.

The very best student I ever taught - who has been a close friend for years - gave me a gift of an exquisitely beautiful edition of the writings of Rumi on the day of my mother's funeral, after the funeral luncheon.
Needless to say, the occasion alone would have made the gift significant, but the writings are wonderful to explore.

What a wonderful gift! Just the other day I was pondering over one of his quotes ("Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment").

And I have long been struck by the fact that writings may make total sense - that you "get" it, in a certain way, at a particular time (or age) in your life, that would have been incomprehensible, or simply not interesting, at an earlier time of life.

Very true. From a certain point of view, teaching classics in school detracts from their beauty. In most opinion, kids are really not ready to understand their depth and beauty, and sadly many teachers don't know how to teach them (not an easy task).

I have been meaning to look into meditation for years; thank you for these recommendations.

My pleasure, don't forget to update us in the meditation thread!

By the way, I am enjoying a most pleasant mug of coffee as I write.

Ah, after I read this - and before replying - I went to refill my coffee mug.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
How awful would it be to suggest to the wandering idiot who comes in every so often to snort Turkish grind for a real good pep?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
How awful would it be to suggest to the wandering idiot who comes in every so often to snort Turkish grind for a real good pep?

Awful.

Let's keep this thread civilised and cultured.

I'd suggest that you reserve that suggestion for elsewhere.

And - in its place - (Turkey, Bosnia, and places influenced by the Ottoman culturally), I have to say that Turkish coffee is quite wonderful.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Had a lovely full English consisting of bacon, sausage, egg, black pudding, mushrooms and whole meal toast. Then a perfect flat white from my favourite coffee shop, Bradley’s. A perfect way to start the day.

https://bramleyscoffeehouse.co.uk/

No tomatoes?

Sounds absolutely delicious.

For me, that tends to be a week-end treat, or a repast I will treat myself to when staying in a good hotel.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ah yes, forgot the tomato. There was one large sweet tomato.

It was a treat. On annual leave.

A full English is incomplete without a tomato - that quartet, bacon, egg, sausage and tomato just work perfectly together. Black pudding is also an excellent addition, as are/were mushrooms, but I tend to prefer mushrooms with other dishes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.