Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Blended 70% Ethiopian and 30% Kenyan to make a mug of coffee with hot milk and brown sugar.

That sounds the right ratio for such a blend in this coffee; in my experience, when blending Ethiopian coffee (with others), you need at least two thirds (preferably around 70%-75% Ethiopian) - even with Kenyan, its best partner, to my mind, for blending purposes, as they complement one another so well - or, otherwise, the Ethiopian is completely overpowered, and overwhelmed, and the characteristics that distinguish it (those bright, clear, clean, notes) are rendered insensible and are impossible to taste or experience.

I can well imagine that it was delicious.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Enjoying an espresso with Formula Rossa blend from the Algerian Coffee shop in Soho. Fortuitously, I bought a 2.5Kg bag of this two weeks ago, as I don't know when I'll next be in London. The Swiss do some good blends though, so I'll survive.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
My favorite locally owned coffee shop is basically shutting down (they had curbside delivery for the past couple of weeks). It seems that they will try to have just brewed morning coffee early AM for those of us who still go to work. At any rate, they are hand delivering their coffee beans and their wine. I ordered a couple of bags of Ethiopian Yirigacheffe coffee and a couple of bags of their blonde roast blend. Package was delivered to my home by the barista himself; they even put a couple of small presents inside and a nice thank you card signed by all the employees. I chatted with the owner on Facebook, it seems that the delivery service was a huge success and it will keep them afloat for a bit.

These are the times in which I am reminded of the fact that coffee is more than just a coffee cup. Whenever I drink my morning cup of joe, whenever I sit at a coffee shop (even a chain like Starbucks), the truth is that there is a lot going on behind the scenes, stuff that I don't see, stuff that I take for granted, stuff that I don't even think of. This goes from the farmers, and it includes even their accountants. It includes those who provide for them, it includes the trucker that moves my coffee from one area to the other, it includes the vendors, the baristas, the owners.

Next time you drink a cup of your favorite coffee, just think about everything that goes on, and just say a prayer for or think good thoughts about who is behind that drink. It's the result of the universe so far - it's a simple fact. It's the result of the hard work of countless people. I am sure that keeping that in mind not only will make us better people, but it will also make the coffee taste 100x better.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My favorite locally owned coffee shop is basically shutting down (they had curbside delivery for the past couple of weeks). It seems that they will try to have just brewed morning coffee early AM for those of us who still go to work. At any rate, they are hand delivering their coffee beans and their wine. I ordered a couple of bags of Ethiopian Yirigacheffe coffee and a couple of bags of their blonde roast blend. Package was delivered to my home by the barista himself; they even put a couple of small presents inside and a nice thank you card signed by all the employees. I chatted with the owner on Facebook, it seems that the delivery service was a huge success and it will keep them afloat for a bit.

These are the times in which I am reminded of the fact that coffee is just than a coffee cup. Whenever I drink my morning cup of joe, whenever I sit at a coffee shop (even a chain like Starbucks), the truth is that there is a lot going on behind the scenes, stuff that I don't see, stuff that I take for granted, stuff that I don't even think of. This goes from the farmers, and it includes even their accountants. It includes those who provide for them, it includes the trucker that moves my coffee from one area to the other, it includes the vendors, the baristas, the owners.

Next time you drink a cup of your favorite coffee, just think about everything that goes on, and just say a prayer for or think good thoughts about who is behind that drink. It's the result of the universe so far - it's a simple fact. It's the result of the hard work of countless people. I am sure that keeping that in mind not only will make us better people, but it will also make the coffee taste 100x better.

Excellent post, and I agree wholeheartedly with you re the sentiments expressed.

Am impressed (and more than a little envious) at the thought of a delivery of Yirgacheffe coffee - my favourite.

Do enjoy.
[automerge]1585940370[/automerge]
I'm having a mug of Kenyan coffee with hot milk and brown sugar, (Kenyan brown sugar) while I video chat with three of my Kenyan friends. Their stress factor is high because of the coronavirus combined with the locust infestation there.

My sympathies; enjoy your Kenyan coffee and chat.

I really liked Kenya, and have very fond memories of my time there, not least the absolutely fascinating - and extraordinarily educational (hearkening back to @yaxomoxay's excellent post above ) visits to coffee and tea plantations that I requested to have arranged for me when I took a few days of leave in Kenya while en route home (or back).

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Nice posts.

Things we kind of take for granted - simple things like coffee beans, fresh milk, clean water. Treat them all with respect and make great coffees! I don't add sugar, but almost always have a piece of dark chocolate with my espressos. I treat that with respect too :)
Amen to all of these sentiments expressed. Just enjoying my noon coffee with some Cailler dark chocolate with salty caramel bits. Hmm the chocolate is gone?? Half the cup too?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Could get used to this self isolating lark...

8666a1a4fc7a906b7a1236a9153d1f2e.jpg

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yes, for introverts, it has its moments.

Currently enjoying an Ethiopian coffee with organic hot milk.
Indeed, with the caveat of living in the countryside of course. I am enjoying and yet slightly unsettled by the quiet in Geneva at the moment. Good thing I have a fair amount of coffee on hand.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed, with the caveat of living in the countryside of course. I am enjoying and yet slightly unsettled by the quiet in Geneva at the moment. Good thing I have a fair amount of coffee on hand.

Well, once my Ethiopian coffee runs out, I am reduced to Illy, unless I can order some from someplace such as The Ethiopian Coffee Company.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I prepared coffee for everyone this morning at work. It was by far one of the most awful things I've ever tasted.

bklynjames

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2020
One of the best home espresso machines is the Rancilio Silvia. Ive had mine since 2008 and its a beast and pulls a very nice shot with exquisite crema...

Reactions: rhett7660

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
With the current stay-at-home situation having closed down my usual local coffee haunts, I find I'm making much more coffee at home than usual....the result being that I've misjudged how fast I'm going through my supply.

I'm now about to run out of beans! It's a mini crisis within the greater crisis. :oops:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
With the current stay-at-home situation having closed down my usual local coffee haunts, I find I'm making much more coffee at home than usual....the result being that I've misjudged how fast I'm going through my supply.

I'm now about to run out of beans! It's a mini crisis within the greater crisis. :oops:

I feel your pain.

You and me, both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.