Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And what did you order?
Ethiopian (naturally processed) - which is what I would normally class as my very favourite coffee - and what was described (by their resident expert) as an anaerobic "competition" lot coffee, (SL28 varietal), from (a well regarded producer) in El Salvador.

The SL28 (and its stable mates) are actually originally from Kenya (which is where one will usually see this particular designation) and were transplanted to central America.

Now, I was also mulling a Pacamara varietal from the same producer in El Salvador, (which I know that I will like), and a coffee from Thailand (which I read about, intrigued), that appeared on their website only as recently as yesterday.

But, mustn't be (too) greedy.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I visited Espresso Vivace in Seattle last week, Co-founded by David Schomer, it lived up to the hype when enjoying a couple espresso's Schomer Ristretto style. I walked out with 2 bags each of their Italian Style roasts, Dolce and Vita. Dolce is better for a strait ristretto espresso, Vita for a ristretto shot with milk. Research David Schomer if interested. He is an institution in Seattle and the espresso world.

Now I need to dial in the new espresso machine I had installed today on my almost finished espresso bar.

Slayer_MC5_9790_1000p.jpg Espresso_Filter_9792_1000p.jpg

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Found small fitting cutting-boards in wood to use in my espresso rituals - to actually use the coffee grounds instead of get it all over the place. I'm very pleased 😊
I had another cutting-board, a bit larger, that gave me the idea. But as I used it to veggies as well, it was not perfect.
This size is great and the cleaning process around the machine are a lot more simple as well.

The white bucket is my knock-box btw 😉
I like that I have a lid on it. So it won’t attract small insects. It's not optimal however.

1708601401307.jpeg

Reactions: mtbdudex

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Enjoy.

Do you have fruit juice with your breakfast?

Whenever I am at home, such as at present, I will always have freshly squeezed (by hand, by me) citrus juice - today's comprised of a blend of a lemon, a pink grapefruit, and two blood oranges - sunshine in a glass.

Abroad, I will seek out freshly squeezed orange juice, or freshly prepared lemonade.

Being an evening person, actually, being nocturnal, my morning coffee goes beyond luxury, or pure pleasure, into necessity.

The fresh squeezed OJ I do have on occasion, store bought but in the specialty aisle.
Truly agree with you on it, I love the natural taste and texture.

Morning person vs evening person.
Were you always evening / nocturnal type?

Me, I was a Paperboy 1972-1976 here in USA Michigan, city of Warren.

Back in 2010 I woke up 3am and had the weirdest dream, involving my paper route from the 1970's.
Made a map of my 2 paper routes, back then 1972-1974 I delivered the “Macomb Daily” to 40 homes at 11 years old it’s a traditional afternoon paper, then 2 years later had a “Detroit Free Press” route 1974-1976 to 52 homes, it was a morning paper. The paper bundle was delivered to my home by 4am, at time the family dog heard that and barked.

I’d be up by 4:45 am, load the papers onto my bike pull cart, have then all delivered to each homes specific location by 5:30am. The early am adult people wanted their paper so they could read it before going to work!
It was my duty to meet their expectations.

No throw onto porch here, mailbox, , inside the screen door, wherever the customer wanted it.

Oh, Sundays were huge, and yes delivered no matter what, rain / sleet and huge snow storms. Zero excuse to miss.
e32e65c3e161c411143a2a888a22455d.jpg

I think the “Detroit Free Press” paper delivery turned me into a morning person… perhaps .

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The fresh squeezed OJ I do have on occasion, store bought but in the specialty aisle.
Truly agree with you on it, I love the natural taste and texture.

Morning person vs evening person.
Were you always evening / nocturnal type?

Me, I was a Paperboy 1972-1976 here in USA Michigan, city of Warren.

Back in 2010 I woke up 3am and had the weirdest dream, involving my paper route from the 1970's.
Made a map of my 2 paper routes, back then 1972-1974 I delivered the “Macomb Daily” to 40 homes at 11 years old it’s a traditional afternoon paper, then 2 years later had a “Detroit Free Press” route 1974-1976 to 52 homes, it was a morning paper. The paper bundle was delivered to my home by 4am, at time the family dog heard that and barked.

I’d be up by 4:45 am, load the papers onto my bike pull cart, have then all delivered to each homes specific location by 5:30am. The early am adult people wanted their paper so they could read it before going to work!
It was my duty to meet their expectations.

No throw onto porch here, mailbox, , inside the screen door, wherever the customer wanted it.

Oh, Sundays were huge, and yes delivered no matter what, rain / sleet and huge snow storms. Zero excuse to miss.
e32e65c3e161c411143a2a888a22455d.jpg

I think the “Detroit Free Press” paper delivery turned me into a morning person… perhaps .
I have always been an evening - not to mention nocturnal - person, and still am.

Early mornings do not remotely appeal - especially in winter time.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Found small fitting cutting-boards in wood to use in my espresso rituals - to actually use the coffee grounds instead of get it all over the place. I'm very pleased 😊
I had another cutting-board, a bit larger, that gave me the idea. But as I used it to veggies as well, it was not perfect.
This size is great and the cleaning process around the machine are a lot more simple as well.

The white bucket is my knock-box btw 😉
I like that I have a lid on it. So it won’t attract small insects. It's not optimal however.

View attachment 2351908

coffee grounds somehow do manage to go EVERYWHERE when cleaning up after espresso!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bliss... Now only on special occasions. I prefer the tactile feel of rumpling paper and experiencing in-depth news to watching headlines on a screen. Coffee is good either way.
I could not agree more with you.

There is a glorious physical enjoyment of the rustle of paper, with a good coffee; to my mind, this is one of the marks of civilisation.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I could not agree more with you.

There is a glorious physical enjoyment of the rustle of paper, with a good coffee; to my mind, this is one of the marks of civilisation.
Yes. Just yes. I dare say that people reading a newspaper (reported by a free press) to educate themselves on the issues of the day is, indeed, a mark of a civilized society. The coffee is a clear mark of refinement and taste.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes. Just yes. I dare say that people reading a newspaper (reported by a free press) to educate themselves on the issues of the day is, indeed, a mark of a civilized society. The coffee is a clear mark of refinement and taste.
My thoughts exactly, and beautifully expressed.

I have always loved those old style European coffee shops, where one used to be able to obtain (and read) copies of all of the daily papers, while sipping a (really good) cup of coffee.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Received notification that my coffee order has been collected by the courier and that I can expect it to be delivered sometime during the course of tomorrow (well, today, 23rd February).

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Bliss... Now only on special occasions. I prefer the tactile feel of rumpling paper and experiencing in-depth news to watching headlines on a screen. Coffee is good either way.
It was a great pleasure in the past.

Alas....unfortunately the days of reading an actual printed newspaper are now in the past for me. The local paper, which once had a national reputation, I believe it still prints a very limited issue, but mostly it's gone digital. I stopped looking at the print issue years ago because it always made me cringe with regret over the loss of what it used to be.

Now I need a good cup of coffee to sooth my annoyance! Or maybe it'll be a cup of hot cocoa

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, my coffee has been delivered.

And, as it transpires, there has been a mix-up, as what I received was not quite what I had ordered.

A different coffee from El Salvador appeared (natural processed, which I don't doubt will be delicious, as I am more than partial to coffees from El Salvador).

However, in addition to the coffee from Ethiopia - which arrived safely - I had also ordered a specific 'competition lot' (i.e. higher quality, and yes, somewhat more expensive) coffee from El Salvador, rather than the one I received.

That meant that an email - a very polite - to the roasters was in order, informing them what had happened.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well, I’ve had this machine since 2017 and I’ve done something today that I have never done. I decided I didn’t like the beans taste in the espresso, took out the bean hopper, and threw the remainder of those beans out. I had 2 cups of those beans and I thought I liked it, but the 3rd cup this morning was just terrible, so out with the old and in with the good.
b59c1377910d58ccc97013216bb0ddef.jpg

I should add I went back to the beans I was using prior because I had 4 one pound bags, the espresso taste perfect and lovely , “Brazil”.

Reactions: Lioness~
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.