Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My assumption is that a "completion lot" means it had been entered in some tasting competiton and so I'd have high expectations if it were my purchase. Clearly some grower/buyer/roaster thought it good enough to have potential in a competition....and so I'll be interested your verdict
Yes, this was also my understanding of what a "competition lot" coffee means in this context.

Special attention will have been paid to it, and it will have been entered into cupping competitions.

Moreover, the SL28 is native to Kenya, thus, it will be interesting to see how it differs when cultivated in El Salvador.

Furthermore, in Kenya, the standard process is usually "washed", whereas, here, it is an anaerobic natural process coffee, which should also have an influence on the final product.

I'm looking forward to trying it.

Reactions: mtbdudex

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Besides being an espresso snob, that’s “Brazil” on right, I’m an Oatmeal snob, yep. 3x a week oatmeal, you gotta give the “extra thick” stuff a try. Takes 10 minutes to cook, but its texture is superior to the std 5 minute oatmeal. Don’t even think “instant 1 minute”, meh that texture so bad.
19246530c1dba3e4937089328ce618a9.jpg

14b43592f731c7f96380b38ad5c92aa2.jpg

Getting up “early” 5:30am seems my norm now, have daily espresso gives pause and reflection time.
(It’s cold here, 17 deg f vs 58 deg f yesterday, crazy)

The espresso making routine itself is …. somehow fulfilling ..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Preparing an afternoon coffee with coffee from El Salvador, a blend of two different types: Natural Process coffee with a Pacamara varietal, and Anaerobic Natural Process with a SL28 varietal.

Served with hot milk, and a dash of double cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macky-Mac

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Preparing an afternoon coffee with coffee from El Salvador, a blend of two different types: Natural Process coffee with a Pacamara varietal, and Anaerobic Natural Process with SL28 varietal.

Served with hot milk, and a dash of double cream.
Absolutely delicious, with the clear, clean, bright notes of the Kenyan SL28 coming through strongly.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
As you will see from the early pages of this very thread, (all of a decade ago), Shrink was a very active (and informed, and interested, and, above all, enthusiastic) participant in the thread.

He was also a very good - and cherished - friend to some of us, before ill health reduced his presence on the forum.

Agreed.

I hear you.

I still miss both of my parents, - especially, my mother, whose death is more recent - and yes, the pain is still there, years later; while the intensity of that pain does diminish with the passage of time, the fact of it does not.

Again, I hear you.

All I can offer is some sympathy and empathy.

Well said, Oh Sceptical One. And, Shrink was as passionate about espresso -- the holy liquid -- as anyone I have ever met. And equally passionate about dispensing that passion, and knowledge, to others.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well said, Oh Sceptical One. And, Shrink was as passionate about espresso -- the holy liquid -- as anyone I have ever met. And equally passionate about dispensing that passion, and knowledge, to others.
Both passionate and knowledgeable - nay, almost evangelical - in his passion for (and knowledge of) espresso and coffee, and, as you so rightly observe, equally passionate about dispensing that passion, and knowledge - and enjoyment - to others.

Even though he hadn't been present (and posting) for years, on account of ill-health, I suppose that I harboured the belief (or, hope), that he would some day, manage a return to the forum and to this thread.

I am grieved by the knowledge that he won't now, ever, return, for I enjoyed his contributions and was blessed with his friendship.

• Love
Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Finally, finally, finally.

A belated - but very much appreciated - mug of coffee: A blend of SL28 and Pacamara, both natural process, both from El Salvador, and served with hot milk (from Jersey) and a dash of double cream.

Bliss.

Last edited:

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Enjoying a coffee from El Salvador, a Pacamara varietal, natural process, served with hot milk and a dash of double cream.

How many brands of coffee do you have on hand typically?
I’m a 2 brand usually, sometimes 3 when I want to transition to another.

Did my Brazil straight black double-double shot 6am, getting ready for my mid-morning tea, “Matcha Green” this time.
da6ccfa83193e9e899d222cd49d699d9.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
How many brands of coffee do you have on hand typically?
I’m a 2 brand usually, sometimes 3 when I want to transition to another.

Did my Brazil straight black double-double shot 6am, getting ready for my mid-morning tea, “Matcha Green” this time.
da6ccfa83193e9e899d222cd49d699d9.jpg
Usually, two or three.

Sometimes, only one, and then, panic ensues when I am about to run out.

At the moment, I have two different coffees from El Salvador (and that is only because the roasters sent me the wrong one, initially, and then, remedied their error and sent me the correct order subsequently, which means that, at present, I have two coffees from El Salvador, not one), and one from Ethiopia.

Reactions: mtbdudex

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
New coffee on the way!

It's the monthly subscription order for some Hawaiian coffee. It left the roaster's facility earlier today. It's now on its way to Honolulu and then on to Los Angeles.....all that happens fairly quickly. Timing gets uncertain the closer the package gets to the delivery address.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
New coffee on the way!

It's the monthly subscription order for some Hawaiian coffee. It left the roaster's facility earlier today. It's now on its way to Honolulu and then on to Los Angeles.....all that happens fairly quickly. Timing gets uncertain the closer the package gets to the delivery address.
Enjoy it when it arrives, and let us know the details - tasting notes - etc, when you do manage to take delivery of this coffee.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Having a large wonderful big Espresso and a tasty Proteinbar - while calculating around the next M3 MBA purchase.
Pondering why the big disk of 256GB had become so full on the old MBA.
Will still go with same size on the new when I have cleaned out this old one ready to be traded in.

When will Apple start to make espresso-machines is also on my mind?!
I woulld love to 'order' my espresso from my iPad or iPhone in bed, or from elsewhere.

Wait, I think I've already heard that these kinds of machines already are on the market. Not from Apple though.
They were probably also way too expensive for the service, so I forgot about it.
See, next time, which could be quite a few years ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.