Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Hey how many on here roast their own beans? I ordered the stainless popcorn pot roasting set from Sweet Maria’s, and just want some tips if anyone has any to share!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hey how many on here roast their own beans?
Not I.

Life is too short, and all that....

I'm more than happy to leave this to the professionals.

However, I daresay that you will find quite a few who frequent this thread who roast their own beans (certainly, some of the members who used to post frequently in the past, individuals such as @Shrink, @mobilehaathi and others did roast their own beans), who will be happy to share their experiences with you.
I ordered the stainless popcorn pot roasting set from Sweet Maria’s, and just want some tips if anyone has any to share!
Good luck and well wear.

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Not I.

Life is too short, and all that....

I'm more than happy to leave this to the professionals.

However, I daresay that you will find quite a few who frequent this thread who roast their own beans (certainly, some of the members who used to post frequently in the past, individuals such as @Shrink, @mobilehaathi and others did roast their own beans), who will be happy to share their experiences with you.

Good luck and well wear.

Well there’s a method to my madness (or at least a reason for it). I just cannot find good decaf, and I really NEED to have less caffeine. I’m hoping I can do a good roast on a decaf bean.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well there’s a method to my madness (or at least a reason for it). I just cannot find good decaf, and I really NEED to have less caffeine. I’m hoping I can do a good roast on a decaf bean.
Well, the very best of luck with it.

To me, caffeine is the whole point (or, most of the point) of good coffee, but, clearly, others feel - and think - differently.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
now there's an idea!
They will probably only run M1, M2, M3 beans etc. 😂

Hey how many on here roast their own beans? I ordered the stainless popcorn pot roasting set from Sweet Maria’s, and just want some tips if anyone has any to share!
Not often today, at all. But I have done a lot of roasting in the owen earlier. Works great, but get good ventilation unless you love to have the smell of roasted coffee beans everywhere.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
They will probably only run M1, M2, M3 beans etc. 😂

Not often today, at all. But I have done a lot of roasting in the owen earlier. Works great, but get good ventilation unless you love to have the smell of roasted coffee beans everywhere.

Early tip I read about using a popcorn popper to roast your coffee beans.
Do it outside so your neighbours can enjoy the aroma of your coffee, and not your beloved inside the kitchen.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Good decaf? Hmmm. A white whale if you ask me but I am no Captain Ahab. Safe journeys. Let us know what you find.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I actually really loved the smell of roasted beans back when I did roast regularly.

On big roasting days it was the owen, on smaller roasting days it was in a suitable coated non-stick fryingpan.
A popcorn machine, ah well, I wouldn't pick it. I do have one for occasional popcorn cravings though.

Time to go do an espresso with bought roasted beans in my lovely espresso-machine.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I actually really loved the smell of roasted beans back when I did roast regularly.

On big roasting days it was the owen, on smaller roasting days it was in a suitable coated non-stick fryingpan.
A popcorn machine, ah well, I wouldn't pick it. I do have one for occasional popcorn cravings though.

Time to go do an espresso with bought roasted beans in my lovely espresso-machine.

Apparently you have to choose a popcorn popping machine with the vent holes around the side at the bottom, to produce a swirling motion that blows the little bits of fluff out of the machine before they get too hot and catch fire. The smell of burning coffee will have your spouse drive you, your popcorn machine and all your coffee out of the house (and probably into the next county) for a substantial period.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Apparently you have to choose a popcorn popping machine with the vent holes around the side at the bottom, to produce a swirling motion that blows the little bits of fluff out of the machine before they get too hot and catch fire. The smell of burning coffee will have your spouse drive you, your popcorn machine and all your coffee out of the house (and probably into the next county) for a substantial period.
Ah well, if you don't know how to do it, you will burn in hel* too - the espresso-gods will punish you severely 😂

The roasting should be done slowly with care. How to avoid being kicked out of the house due to lack of knowledge, and how to tame the espresso-gods with grace.
*There's plenty of guides online for the knowledge-hungry btw.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

Well the stainless popper is apparently a good way to do it because you constantly churn the beans. And aside from hoping for some better decaf, I like the idea of paying less than half for my organic beans. Right now my faves run me $18/12 ounces, and i can get organic ethiopian beans for $8/lb from Sweet Maria’s.

Of course it’s all an experiment that may/may not work out, but what the heck.

I have a super-automatic espresso machine as well - just trying to make it affordable to fix lattes for everyone who comes to my house asking for them. ;-p

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

This is a manual, stainless popper, and you turn a crank that keeps the beans moving constantly as they roast. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience they could share, but apparently I’m in uncharted territory here. Lol

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
My new supply of coffee has now travelled from Hawaii to Los angeles, passed thru the gauntlet of the Post Office's distribution facilities where it was ultimately loaded on a truck and is now "out for delivery"......all this in just a day and a half. Very impressive speed. They had originally estimated it would arrive this coming Saturday. Delivery will be at a friend's address, so now I'm to wait until news comes that it's arrived.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My new supply of coffee has now travelled from Hawaii to Los angeles, passed thru the gauntlet of the Post Office's distribution facilities where it was ultimately loaded on a truck and is now "out for delivery"......all this in just a day and a half. Very impressive speed. They had originally estimated it would arrive this coming Saturday. Delivery will be at a friend's address, so now I'm to wait until news comes that it's arrived.
Excellent.

Do enjoy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is a manual, stainless popper, and you turn a crank that keeps the beans moving constantly as they roast. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience they could share, but apparently I’m in uncharted territory here. Lol
Not so much uncharted - there were individuals who posted here in the early days, who did possess such charts and availed of them and wrote about their experiences, describing them, - but, rather, I would argue, unnavigated by the rest of us.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Roasting beans is a bit beyond my level of knowledge. I could probably learn it but it’s diminishing returns.

I do have a lavazza pod machine as well as the big grinder and espresso machine. The pod machine is used at 5am in the morning because it is silent and fast. The big machine takes ages to warm up and build pressure and grinder can be heard from outside - it’s that noisy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Roasting beans is a bit beyond my level of knowledge. I could probably learn it but it’s diminishing returns.

I do have a lavazza pod machine as well as the big grinder and espresso machine. The pod machine is used at 5am in the morning because it is silent and fast. The big machine takes ages to warm up and build pressure and grinder can be heard from outside - it’s that noisy.
Sounds an excellent set-up.

I fully appreciate the attractions of a trouble free, fast, undemanding (and noiseless) method of preparing coffee at five a.m. in the morning.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Although I really love my Sage/Breville Machine, and the quality of espresso it delivers - there are also times when I miss a fully automatic machine.
So there have been days when I skip the espresso out out laziness to do it. Not often, a few/month maybe. Might buy a fully automatic, but not as pricy as the Siemens, as a backup at some point. Go down to pods, I don’t think I will though.
But lazyness should be valued in our own ways 🥱

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

I fully appreciate the attractions of a trouble free, fast, undemanding (and noiseless) method of preparing coffee at five a.m. in the morning.
Yes, using the grinder at that time of morning would make me public enemy number one! ;)

The big machine is a Nuova Simonelli Musica and the grinder Gino Rossi CC45 which is huge overkill for home. But it never gives trouble, aside from being very noisy.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Although I really love my Sage/Breville Machine, and the quality of espresso it delivers - there are also times when I miss a fully automatic machine.
So there have been days when I skip the espresso out out laziness to do it. Not often, a few/month maybe. Might buy a fully automatic, but not as pricy as the Siemens, as a backup at some point. Go down to pods, I don’t think I will though.
But lazyness should be valued in our own ways 🥱

Stick with it!!
For me there’s something with the tactile feel of the process .. it slows down time and life for just a brief reprieve

Reactions: Lioness~

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
TGIF!! Brazil roast double-double shot , with frothy whole organic milk, with the extra thick 10 minute oatmeal
0dd01ed1789f65624f4c1489a7c2c6a9.jpg

Made at 5:20am , grinding and all, fortunately my 17 yr son on 1st floor is a sound sleeper, and I do shut the 2nd floor bedroom door so wife is not disturbed

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Stick with it!!
For me there’s something with the tactile feel of the process .. it slows down time and life for just a brief reprieve
Absolutely, and when it's a habit it becomes almost mechanically even when half asleep 😴
The only reason I would start to use pods would be if I bought a small hiking espresso-machine.
But there is many sorts...
They are not so big, but maybe it gives enough of caffeine to get back home.
I'm checking them out a bit as spring is getting closer….if I buy one I'll report it.

Reactions: mtbdudex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.