Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Been playing with getting my new machine adjusted, and, can I just say I have NOT had the best coffee the last couple days? :(

I think I FINALLY got her almost dialed in for my daily coffee/americano, but now I need to perfect the espresso shot for my cappuccinos.

Also, anyone ever do ristrettos and make drinks with those?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Also, anyone ever do ristrettos and make drinks with those?

Yes, I always use a 1:1 with roasts I get from Espresso Vivace. Even when I make a doppio for myself I make an oat latte for my wife. I will also often make a drink similar to an espresso macchiato, cortado, or flat white with a 1:1 double espresso shot.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
First Ice-espresso for this summer, and 1st time I drink it from my Sage/Breville.
I was smart enough to put a few shots into containers and i to the freezer awhile ago, so I was prepared for summer season.
Enjoying it greatly in the heat! The cold espresso goes down faster, so a refill will be prepared shortly!

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
From Yemen?

Wow.

I'm impressed and envious.

That sounds amazing; given local conditions (war, etc), it has become more than a challenge to lay hands on coffee from Yemen; do enjoy it when it arrives, and please, do let us know how you find it (i.e. what it tastes like).

It wasn't just the local conditions in Yemen that proved to be a difficulty. It turned out to be a challenge getting the Yemeni coffee delivered after I'd ordered some.

It was roasted and shipped promptly. I'd received a tracking number and for the first couple of days it was moving along as expected.....but then nothing, a week went by without any further reports of progress.

Two days ago a new update finally appeared. A train derailment had delayed the package, but they were working to resolve the problem. I assumed I wouldn't be receiving my coffee for a while, but the next morning, yesterday, there was an email saying the package was "out for delivery by 9pm"

And so this morning I'm enjoying a mug of it.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
It wasn't just the local conditions in Yemen that proved to be a difficulty. It turned out to be a challenge getting the Yemeni coffee delivered after I'd ordered some.

It was roasted and shipped promptly. I'd received a tracking number and for the first couple of days it was moving along as expected.....but then nothing, a week went by without any further reports of progress.

Two days ago a new update finally appeared. A train derailment had delayed the package, but they were working to resolve the problem. I assumed I wouldn't be receiving my coffee for a while, but the next morning, yesterday, there was an email saying the package was "out for delivery by 9pm"

Looks like the place I get my green beans has some beans from Yemen. I was considering ordering. How do you like them?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Wow.

Very interesting story, and I hope that you enjoy your coffee from Yemen.

Any specific comments, or, put another way, what is the taste, or flavour profile?
Looks like the place I get my green beans has some beans from Yemen. I was considering ordering. How do you like them?
I'd be fascinated to read your thoughts on this coffee from Yemen, if and when you do get around to placing an order for some of it.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
This is the sort of article where I would like to see some sort of executive summary at the outset before having to wade through the entire piece.
Summary: An experiment measuring caffeine for different types of coffee drinks, with disclaimers saying that it's not very scientific, and lots of comments posted to say the maths is totally wrong.

So ... don't bother reading. Just use common sense: an espresso contains a lot of caffeine for its small volume, but as there's so little of it, it's not as much as larger, weaker coffees.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Summary: An experiment measuring caffeine for different types of coffee drinks, with disclaimers saying that it's not very scientific, and lots of comments posted to say the maths is totally wrong.

So ... don't bother reading. Just use common sense: an espresso contains a lot of caffeine for its small volume, but as there's so little of it, it's not as much as larger, weaker coffees.
Many thanks; much appreciated.

I did start reading the piece, - but decided that I would forego reading it to the end - as I found myself deploring both the folksy tone, and clear lack of (scientific) rigour of the article.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Just use common sense: an espresso contains a lot of caffeine for its small volume, but as there's so little of it, it's not as much as larger, weaker coffees.
That’s why I drink a Big Double Espresso now, to get the boost I need.

About the article: I found it interesting -but scrolling online is an art, scroll reading another one 😁

Reactions: adrianlondon

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I realized how pleased I am with my espresso set-up today, all of it.
Enjoying a big cup of it at the moment.

I found some very old rather cheap beans from a long time ago, deep into a cupboard, when did some cleaning out here. It amazed me that they were within best before date, but I threw them away anyway. Must have been emergency beans at some time. At those times any beans are better then none. 😉

Reactions: Macky-Mac

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I realized how pleased I am with my espresso set-up today, all of it.
Enjoying a big cup of it at the moment.

I found some very old rather cheap beans from a long time ago, deep into a cupboard, when did some cleaning out here. It amazed me that they were within best before date, but I threw them away anyway. Must have been emergency beans at some time. At those times any beans are better then none. 😉

emergency supplies are always nice to have

Reactions: Lioness~

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Wow.

Very interesting story, and I hope that you enjoy your coffee from Yemen.

Any specific comments, or, put another way, what is the taste, or flavour profile?

I'd be fascinated to read your thoughts on this coffee from Yemen, if and when you do get around to placing an order for some of it.

It makes very enjoyable coffee.

Sanna Al Mokha beans; organic, dry processed, medium roast.......flavor notes from the roaster suggest fruit tones with a hint of raisins, a subtle sweetness and dark chocolate notes. My impression leaves me thinking there's also some sort of juicy dark berry note too. The fruit sweetness definitely dominates the taste of the long finish.

Yes, I do indeed like them, and since you're brewing with a totally different machine and set up, I'd be interested to hear how you like them should you give them a try.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It makes very enjoyable coffee.

Sanna Al Mokha beans; organic, dry processed, medium roast.......flavor notes from the roaster suggest fruit tones with a hint of raisins, a subtle sweetness and dark chocolate notes. My impression leaves me thinking there's also some sort of juicy dark berry note too. The fruit sweetness definitely dominates the taste of the long finish.
Thanks for the detailed (and mouth-watering) tasting notes.

That sounds absolutely delicious.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
My wife pulled out my old espresso machine, Rancilio Silvia v1 bought in 2002, and made room on the kitchen counter for me. She's the best (both of them).

I'm having the best time and the most delicious coffee ever. I don't enjoy it so much if the pull is over 20 seconds. But 15 - 20 is magic.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
My wife pulled out my old espresso machine, Rancilio Silvia v1 bought in 2002, and made room on the kitchen counter for me. She's the best (both of them).

I'm having the best time and the most delicious coffee ever. I don't enjoy it so much if the pull is over 20 seconds. But 15 - 20 is magic.

I had one of those for a while....I inherited it from its previous owner when his wife (who only drink tea) decided it was taking up way too much of their very limited counter space.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Ahhh!

i-c9MkGvr-X3.jpg

If you have ridden in the Haute Route back in 2016, 2017, 2018, or 2019 you'll remember these espresso cups from the BWCC coffee van. That's where this one came from. :) I have a few of these cups, they are only small but they are special to me - a lot of great memories:

The coffee van:

More from the gallery here:

Last edited:

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007

Ahh, the memories. My journey into home brewed coffee began with a Stovetop Pot and evolved to the Rancilio Silvia v1. I recall the days of my early learning experiences. Then I stumbled into temperature surfing and began to understand why that machine sometimes made better coffee than it did other times. Got close to doing the DIY mods to install a PID controller but could not bring myself to hack up such a piece of art.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Ahh, the memories. My journey into home brewed coffee began with a Stovetop Pot and evolved to the Rancilio Silvia v1. I recall the days of my early learning experiences. Then I stumbled into temperature surfing and began to understand why that machine sometimes made better coffee than it did other times. Got close to doing the DIY mods to install a PID controller but could not bring myself to hack up such a piece of art.

Before the Silvia, my stovetop was an atomic (sitting in my attic somewhere). I bought that one in the 80's.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Since I mentioned the Atomic to my wife, she dug it out and its sitting on my kitchen counter. I have a big decision for the morning; will it be Silvia or Atomic? I'm leaning towards my first cup being from the Atomic so that I can remember why I bought the Silvia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.