Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I wish I had room for a super automatic next to my Breville, I can't be bothered to steam my own milk drinks, but if it was at the push of a button I would use it.

Well mine won’t froth on their own - I do have to do that. They make some that will do it for sure, but apparently the froth isn’t as smooth, and you can’t control the temperature either. I was definitely struggling with whether to get one that would have a cappuccino ready to drink with one button, but ultimately the sales people talked me out of it.

My daughter has the standalone Nespresso milk frother, and she loves it. It might be worth looking into something along those lines for those days when you’d enjoy a milk drink - it could froth while you’re making your espresso. ;-p

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
What are everyone’s cup preferences for your various espresso beverages? My new machine will have a passive warmer, and I want to order a couple of cups - not sure if I want to go with the double-walled glass, ceramic, or something else.

Anyone have suggestions?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What are everyone’s cup preferences for your various espresso beverages? My new machine will have a passive warmer, and I want to order a couple of cups - not sure if I want to go with the double-walled glass, ceramic, or something else.

Anyone have suggestions?
This really is something that you will work out for yourself, for you will come to realise that you like some types, or styles, of cup, and do not much care for others.

Personally, my preferences tend to lie with ceramic, pottery, or porcelain, rather than glass; the mug I use most frequently is a Le Creuset (stoneware) volcanic orange mug.

I have have gorgeous hand made (by the husband of a colleague) mugs, and some superb d'Ancap espresso cups and coffee cups from Italy, as well as several lovely (porcelain) mugs from Villeroy & Boch, all of which I use.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I wish I had room for a super automatic next to my Breville, I can't be bothered to steam my own milk drinks, but if it was at the push of a button I would use it.
That is the no. 1 reason why I want to make peace with my Sage/Breville and work with my laziness. The idea of having 2 of those big machines side by side isn't that exciting, but rather totally ridiculous.
In a big home, on different floors, I can se the point however.

Anyone have suggestions?

From a post some time ago when I got my Sage Express.

A great large Espresso is done, now I'm on the refill.

Invested in some new, not so high Klean Kanteen mugs, to fit into this new Espresso machine.
I don't wan’t to deal with ordinary cups, that loose heat and are without lids. I want a material that makes my espresso's stay warm, and mugs that won't break if/when they hit floor/stone material or similar.

I had higher mugs in the old machine. It will be fine with wider mugs in this new one. I usually never filled the old ones to the top anyway, so a bit smaller will be fine. Refills are always possible.
2 new klean kanteen mugs are ordered and dispatched - hopefully they'll arrive this week.

Old mugs: 16oz/473 ml
View attachment 2324456
New mugs: 120z/355 ml
View attachment 2324457

I love my KleanKanteen mugs....they don't break against harder material, and they are easy to warm under hot water before I make my Espresso's, and then they keep the warmth pretty long and good after been filled with espresso and with a lid on.
If you have a warmer, you obviously don't need to warm them up through warm water.
But to me it goes fast, in the-doing-of-espresso-ritual.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

Depends on the Breville, but my Touch Impress does a decent job in its automatic function of steaming the milk.

Not sure if it is me or the Breville or both, but my attempts at latte art haven't succeeded. But did read it doesn't get the milk to the consistency for latte art( manually steaming the milk does though). But end of the day, it does the job for me to produce a good latte, flat white, or cappuccino. I don't need no latte art. :) And I am sure a super automatic wouldn't be doing latte art either.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

Anyone have suggestions?

I use an old beer mug....one of those dimpled heavy glass things

It gets filled with hot water early in my morning coffee making and holds the heat quite well

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019

Anyone have suggestions?

I picked up some notNeutral Lino Cups and Saucers recently. I’ve always preferred porcelain cups for the way they feel on the mouth and seem to enhance the taste of espresso or coffee. The notNeutral Lino cups have a very comfortable handle shape that fits my larger hands better than the Cafelat porcelain cups I’ve used for years and still do for straight espresso. I also like the wide bowl of the Lino's as I am looking to attempt latte art eventually.

https://www.notneutral.com/shop.html

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
That is the no. 1 reason why I want to make peace with my Sage/Breville and work with my laziness. The idea of having 2 of those big machines side by side isn't that exciting, but rather totally ridiculous.
In a big home, on different floors, I can se the point however.

From a post some time ago when I got my Sage Express.

I love my KleanKanteen mugs....they don't break against harder material, and they are easy to warm under hot water before I make my Espresso's, and then they keep the warmth pretty long and good after been filled with espresso and with a lid on.
If you have a warmer, you obviously don't need to warm them up through warm water.
But to me it goes fast, in the-doing-of-espresso-ritual.
I think when my barista express breaks I am going to go for a much more manual machine, and a separate grinder. That will make my weekend coffees where I am needing out much better.

However that leaves my weekday, I need caffeine coffees to take care of.

In that scenario I may consider having both, but I would probably need to move things around and make a whole section of the kitchen a coffee bar only.

It could be done, but then I would need to relocate my smoothie bar area lol.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I finished the last of my Hawaiian coffee this morning....now I'm down to a few days supply of some Ethiopian while I await delivery of new supplies for May

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006

Anyone have suggestions?

since i pretty much exclusively drink lattes, i've got a few bodum double-walled glass mugs. for a long time i used the smaller ones (10oz) but a few years back i switched to the larger one (15oz). not sure these cups would really get that hot from the warmer as they are pretty light.

Reactions: ssledoux

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I use cups from Loveramics for everything bar espressos. I have one of almost every colour, as I was copying a cool cafe in Soho (London) I went to a few years ago that did the same. Unfortunately, my kitchen doesn't pull off that soho-cool vibe, but I still like the cups :)

The prices on the UK website are crazy. I had them delivered from Poland (google found them!) for around half the price, although this was over 5 years ago.

For espressos, I have some cafe style heavy, thick-walled white cups.

Reactions: ssledoux

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I use cups from Loveramics for everything bar espressos. I have one of almost every colour, as I was copying a cool cafe in Soho (London) I went to a few years ago that did the same. Unfortunately, my kitchen doesn't pull off that soho-cool vibe, but I still like the cups :)

The prices on the UK website are crazy. I had them delivered from Poland (google found them!) for around half the price, although this was over 5 years ago.

For espressos, I have some cafe style heavy, thick-walled white cups.

I considered Loveramics and still might try them. Quality option and one of the more recommended cups as I researched which ones to buy. They are even a little bit less expensive in the US compared to the notNeutral Lino cups I ended up buying but I could have gone with either and been happy. Loveramics has a lot more color options and the handles look equally large for comfortable hand holding with large hands. Choice might come down to preference for more color options and do you prefer white inside the cup or the same color both inside and outside the cup.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
How is Hawaiin coffee?

There's excellent and interesting coffee grown in Hawaii; different varieties and different tastes. But like any coffee from any region, you have to know what you're buying and who's selling it. The development and growth of the specialty coffee market around the world has its Hawaiian component and it's very much focussed on quality and product development.

I've been getting my Hawaiian coffee as part of a group subscription from one roaster. Every month it's been a different type of coffee from the various growing regions, so it's been quite enjoyable.

Unfortunately part of the market for Hawaiian coffee is aimed at tourists who aren't knowledgeable but simply want to take home some Hawaiian coffee because of its reputation.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
How is Hawaiin coffee?

Kona is the best known Hawaiian region for coffee. Pure Kona beans can get pretty expensive, blends somewhat more affordable. I think it's worth trying a 100% Kona if you can source it: I do enjoy it a lot, but don't buy them very often.

Last time I was in Kauai, I visited a local coffee plantation and roaster, and their beans were also very good.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Ordered some beans from “Rave” yesterday. Arrived this morning, roasted yesterday! Can’t get fresher than that.
cdf5877306cf12899e48ebfb03e596fe.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Kona is the best known Hawaiian region for coffee. Pure Kona beans can get pretty expensive, blends somewhat more affordable. I think it's worth trying a 100% Kona if you can source it: I do enjoy it a lot, but don't buy them very often.

Last time I was in Kauai, I visited a local coffee plantation and roaster, and their beans were also very good.
100% Kona?

Wow.

I don't think that I have ever encountered this sublime treat.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
100% Kona?

Wow.

I don't think that I have ever encountered this sublime treat.

I have not tried Kona, but I can say that 100% Bena Bena from PNG made my mouth think it had died and gone to heaven...

Do not confuse Bena Bena coffee with Goroka coffee which is a blend of all the coffees in the area around Goroka. Still good, but not a patch on Bena Bena.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have not tried Kona, but I can say that 100% Bena Bena from PNG made my mouth think it had died and gone to heaven...

Do not confuse Bena Bena coffee with Goroka coffee which is a blend of all the coffees in the area around Goroka. Still good, but not a patch on Bena Bena.
Now, (while reading about Bena Bena coffee) I am making helpless little whimpering noises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.