Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Does anyone here have the DeLonghi Primadonna Soul bean to cup machine? I just cannot seem to get the thing dialled in properly? It's supposed to adjust the grind and dose automatically but no matter what I do it does not produce a decent brew. Today I cleaned the whole machine and put fresh beans in and clean water but still a disappointing result. I like to drink flat whites but having returned from my trip to Rome yesterday, where I drink lovely Cappuccino's have been attempting to make them, again with poor results.

My previous machine was the Sage Barista which produced excellent results. I was just wondering if there was anyone here with the DeLonghi who can give me any tips?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Okay let’s talk about pour over,

So I’m struggilng to decide whether I want to replace my superautomatic with a better superautomatic so I can get a good froth and make cappuccinos daily, or go to a pour over.

The struggle is real folks. ;-p
There is no reason why you cannot have (drink, enjoy) both.

Different days (and circumstances) call for different types of coffee.

In my case, I use pour over (Hario dripper with filter paper: And on this subject, I have a ceramic dripper, a copper dripper, a wooden one from Japan, and a plastic dripper for travel), a French Press, a moka pot, and - shortly - I plan to add a Chemex to that collection.

For me, the pour over method is the easiest and most forgiving method of coffee preparation.

In the mornings, I am not desirous of having to concentrate, or focus, too much while preparing coffee - someone has already remarked that they need a coffee before they can prepare a coffee, and I find myself in a similar position (or, while preparing anything; I am not a morning person), and have learned that the Hario dripper/pour-over method is probably the least difficult or demanding or challenging method of coffee preparation.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just received a delivery of coffee (some Ethiopia, some Rwandan, some form El Salvador) along with filter papers for the Hario method of coffee preparation and some filter papers for the Chemex I have set my heart on buying sometime soon.

Reactions: Macky-Mac

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
There is no reason why you cannot have (drink, enjoy) both.

Different days (and circumstances) call for different types of coffee.

In my case, I use pour over (Hario dripper with filter paper: And on this subject, I have a ceramic dripper, a copper dripper, a wooden one from Japan, and a plastic dripper for travel), a French Press, a moka pot, and - shortly - I plan to add a Chemex to that collection.

For me, the pour over method is the easiest and most forgiving method of coffee preparation.

In the mornings, I am not desirous of having to concentrate, or focus, too much while preparing coffee - someone has already remarked that they need a coffee before they can prepare a coffee, and I find myself in a similar position (or, while preparing anything; I am not a morning person), and have learned that the Hario dripper/pour-over method is probably the least difficult or demanding or challenging method of coffee preparation.

So share your method. ;-p

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
So I am being resupplied today. Same espresso beans, but I am changing out my drip coffee with that Papua New Guinea coffee the roaster sent a sample of.

But first latte since the cleaning of the machine and boy did removing the oil from the group head make a giant difference in taste! Just shows as always, maintenance matters!

Cleanliness is next to coffeeness...

Reactions: Lioness~

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
So I have question - I wish I could start a thread for it, but I doubt that’s appropriate since there is already this thread.

How do you make your espresso?

I have a Gaggia super automatic because I’m basically somewhat lazy and want a lungo at the push of a button (to which I add grass-fed heavy cream and a little sugar, so basically a coffee). I do love a cappuccino as well, so I often have one of those for my second cup. I recently started roasting my own organic beans - I LOVE Ethiopian beans with citrus notes.

I ordered a Breville Barista Express, but honestly, not sure I’m up to the task and considering returning it. I know I COULD do it - just not sure I feel like all that work prior to having coffee. Lol

Before I do, I just wanted to ask what others use for making their espresso/coffee.
I had a Miele super automatic that started having problems. Decided to get back to basics and picked up a La Marzocco Micra. Double boiler that heats up in about 10min. you can program it to turn on in the morning so it is ready to go when you get up. This machine creates superb espressos and the milk froth is fantastic.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had a Miele super automatic that started having problems. Decided to get back to basics and picked up a La Marzocco Micra. Double boiler that heats up in about 10min. you can program it to turn on in the morning so it is ready to go when you get up. This machine creates superb espressos and the milk froth is fantastic.
La Marzocco.....

Wonderful.

Should I ever invest in an espresso machine, something by La Marzocco will be one of those that I am most interested in.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well last weekend - when it felt like summer and unlike this weekend when we got a blast of winter temperatures - I crossed the border into France to large supermarket of the "Leclerc" chain. Picked up some goodies including a pack of pure Ethiopian coffee which I have been enjoying in my moka pot. The brand is called "Plantation" - one of the Leclerc store brands and they have several pure origin varieties. Very good brand and makes the commercial brands look rather poor. Just enjoyed my second cup.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Well last weekend - when it felt like summer and unlike this weekend when we got a blast of winter temperatures - I crossed the border into France to large supermarket of the "Leclerc" chain. Picked up some goodies including a pack of pure Ethiopian coffee which I have been enjoying in my moka pot. The brand is called "Plantation" - one of the Leclerc store brands and they have several pure origin varieties. Very good brand and makes the commercial brands look rather poor. Just enjoyed my second cup.
E.Leclerc is one of the supermarkets I go to when crossing into France, too.

I'll keep my eyes out for that coffee. They sell it as beans?

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I usually only have two double shots in the morning but had to pull an extra today they were so perfect. I'm tempted to have a fourth. 18g in, 17.5g out. Confirmation bias perhaps but every bit as good if not better than those I sampled at Espresso Vivace's flagship cafe.

As tasty as a Ristretto can be, it is gone in a couple sips. Trade-offs; the rich, unsurpassed taste of an excellent Ristretto or the extended time enjoying a cortado or cup of coffee. Espresso Vivace's Dolce is a mild-Arabica coffee roasted in the northern Italian tradition.

Espresso_Vivace_Dolce_Ristretto_1000p.jpg

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
E.Leclerc is one of the supermarkets I go to when crossing into France, too.

I'll keep my eyes out for that coffee. They sell it as beans?
Yes, and ground as well as capsules for Nespresso style machines and even "instant" :eek:.

Here is a list:
Marque Reperé: Plantation coffee (in French)

The single origin are very good, friends who picked up Colombian for example were quite pleased.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nice, and did you get anything from the bakery itself??
Mais, bien sur.

A fresh (white) sourdough loaf found its way into my proverbial basket (actually, a paper bag).

Several cheeses (plus pasta, and guanciale) were purchased in the cheesemonger's - two blues, (Birbablu, and Bleu d'Auvergne), some semi-soft washed rind style cheese (Pont l'Eveque, St Nectaire and Reblochon), and three hard cheeses (Pecorino Romano, Tomme de Normandie, and mature Goat's Gouda).

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Having a nice mug of some really tasty Colombian coffee (red bourbon variety).......sadly there are only enough beans left for one more cup of it.

New coffees are on order tho, including some from Yemen, and there are a couple of other nearly empty packages still to finish from this month's supply, so time to drink up

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having a nice mug of some really tasty Colombian coffee (red bourbon variety).......sadly there are only enough beans left for one more cup of it.

New coffees are on order tho, including some from Yemen, and there are a couple of other nearly empty packages still to finish from this month's supply, so time to drink up
From Yemen?

Wow.

I'm impressed and envious.

That sounds amazing; given local conditions (war, etc), it has become more than a challenge to lay hands on coffee from Yemen; do enjoy it when it arrives, and please, do let us know how you find it (i.e. what it tastes like).

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
So where do you order your beans?

Different things from different places....when my local shops closed during the Covid stay-at-home era, I started exploring for different coffees that I could buy online from various roasters. These are roast-to-order shops so I'll get the beans within a few days after the roast.

I'm also part of a small group that shares a monthly subscription for Hawaiian coffee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.