Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
From Yemen?

Wow.

I'm impressed and envious.

That sounds amazing; given local conditions (war, etc), it has become more than a challenge to lay hands on coffee from Yemen; do enjoy it when it arrives, and please, do let us know how you find it (i.e. what it tastes like).

Yemen coffee does appear, occasionally and briefly, and as you might guess, it sells out fairly quickly. I was feeling lucky when I spotted some and ordered it right away.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yemen coffee does appear, occasionally and briefly, and as you might guess, it sells out fairly quickly. I was feeling lucky when I spotted some and ordered it right away.
Do enjpy it when it arrives.

I haven't had coffee from Yemen in an absolute age.

Coffee lovers might like to know that there is a city (an antique city) in Yemen with the name of Mocha (sometimes, it is spelt, Mokha), after which something - a beverage - we are all more than well acquainted with on this very thread, has been named, for, historically, the city of Mokha was the main maritime port in the Red Sea for Yemen's capital city of Sanaa, (until later eclipsed by Aden, among others), and, as a maritime trading centre, was pretty famous for its historic role in the coffee trade.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
...I have a Gaggia super automatic because I’m basically somewhat lazy and want a lungo at the push of a button (to which I add grass-fed heavy cream and a little sugar, so basically a coffee). I do love a cappuccino as well, so I often have one of those for my second cup. I recently started roasting my own organic beans - I LOVE Ethiopian beans with citrus notes.

I ordered a Breville Barista Express, but honestly, not sure I’m up to the task and considering returning it. I know I COULD do it - just not sure I feel like all that work prior to having coffee.....

so did you decide to keep using the Gaggia super automatic or go with the Breville Barista Express?

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
i added S&W roasting to the wiki - i am really impressed with their decaf espresso. very small shop and the order took a little over a week to arrive in california but that's OK as they say their roasts need to outgas for ~10 days anyway.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
so did you decide to keep using the Gaggia super automatic or go with the Breville Barista Express?

Well, neither. I ordered a better Gaggia machine - lots more settings for grind, does 5-6 different espressos/coffees, including doing an Americano at the push of a button, and has a stainless frothing arm that is supposed to do a latte art quality foam.

At least with this I can still have an Americano or Lungo at the touch of a button if I want to be lazy and just have a little sugar and heavy cream, but if I want to be more adventurous, I can do milk/foam, etc., and make some different drinks.

As much as I love the idea of the Breville, and getting better at perfecting the drinks, I get a decent cup from my current Gaggia (good quality, fresh beans go a long way). This one should be a lot better.

We shall see.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, neither. I ordered a better Gaggia machine - lots more settings for grind, does 5-6 different espressos/coffees, including doing an Americano at the push of a button, and has a stainless frothing arm that is supposed to do a latte art quality foam.

At least with this I can still have an Americano or Lungo at the touch of a button if I want to be lazy and just have a little sugar and heavy cream, but if I want to be more adventurous, I can do milk/foam, etc., and make some different drinks.

As much as I love the idea of the Breville, and getting better at perfecting the drinks, I get a decent cup from my current Gaggia (good quality, fresh beans go a long way). This one should be a lot better.

We shall see.
Enjoy your (better) Gaggia machine when you receive it.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Enjoy your (better) Gaggia machine when you receive it.

Thanks! I’m watching videos right now about setup and brewing adjustments. I’m pretty excited about it. I just roasted two pounds of beans in preparation!

Does anyone have a good source for the actual ratios of espresso to water/milk for various drinks? Americanos, cappuccinos, etc.?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks! I’m watching videos right now about setup and brewing adjustments. I’m pretty excited about it. I just roasted two pounds of beans in preparation!

Does anyone have a good source for the actual ratios of espresso to water/milk for various drinks? Americanos, cappuccinos, etc.?
Actually, I don't, not least because one can become a little too prescriptive about such things.

I'm sure that suggested guidelines exist, but I would also recommend that you take your own personal taste preferences into account; after all, you are not entering coffee cupping competitions - rather, you are simply preparing a coffee for yourself that you may wish to drink and that hopefully, you will enjoy.

Reactions: adrianlondon

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Actually, I don't, not least because one can become a little too prescriptive about such things.

I'm sure that suggested guidelines exist, but I would also recommend that you take your own personal taste preferences into account; after all, you are not entering coffee cupping competitions - rather, you are simply preparing a coffee for yourself that you may wish to drink and that hopefully, you will enjoy.

True! I just know for certain drinks there would likely be some sort of recommended ratio or starting point I could tweak. I mean I have made mostly cappuccinos with my current machine, and I wouldn’t say they are as good as my favorite coffee shop because I can’t get my froth that smooth, but I’m hoping that will change!

I’ve seen a few places online that describe the various drinks and what they typically are (espresso to milk or water). I just didn’t know if someone had a recommendation for one that was informative. I’m trying to step up my game! ;-p

I guess I should clarify that a lot of the reason I am particular about coffee is because I want something I drink daily to be the best quality (and taste of course) it can be. I started roasting so I could get good, organic beans at less than half what I was paying locally (when I could even find organic - we only have a couple local roasters).

That is to say I’m not drinking straight espresso shots (and probably never will), but I want good quality, fresh ground, organic beans with grass-fed milk or cream in my drinks. But I want them to be yummy! :)

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Had my Sage Barista Impress Touch for about a week now and am super impressed. The machine guides you through to making excellent coffee (providing you use fresh beans). It will tell you to adjust the grind when needed and has a tamping arm so that you get the precise pressure every time. So far it is by far the best machine I have ever had. YouTube video here:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
True! I just know for certain drinks there would likely be some sort of recommended ratio or starting point I could tweak. I mean I have made mostly cappuccinos with my current machine, and I wouldn’t say they are as good as my favorite coffee shop because I can’t get my froth that smooth, but I’m hoping that will change!

I’ve seen a few places online that describe the various drinks and what they typically are (espresso to milk or water). I just didn’t know if someone had a recommendation for one that was informative. I’m trying to step up my game! ;-p

I guess I should clarify that a lot of the reason I am particular about coffee is because I want something I drink daily to be the best quality (and taste of course) it can be. I started roasting so I could get good, organic beans at less than half what I was paying locally (when I could even find organic - we only have a couple local roasters).

That is to say I’m not drinking straight espresso shots (and probably never will), but I want good quality, fresh ground, organic beans with grass-fed milk or cream in my drinks. But I want them to be yummy! :)

Since you've already found online sites describing the basic ratios, it's now a matter of making and drinking lots and lots of the different drinks.....and then making your adjustments to satisfy your own taste.

here's yet one more site with basic ratios; espresso drinks

When I was making lattes at home, I always found that more milk was necessary to make foam than was really required for the ratio......so I tended to have overly milky lattes lol

Making the foam is the "skill" task of course

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Bad news for me on the coffee supply front.....my preferred source for buying Ethiopian coffee has been sold to a new owner. :(

I've recently received an email announcing the sale, which happened last December. The happy new owner promises to continue the good work of the former owner....of course he would say that! lol

The previous owner had a particular interest in Ethiopian coffee and that was obvious from what they had for sale. But since the beginning of the year I've noticed a shift in the offerings.....more coffees from Latin American sources and fewer of the Ethiopian coffees I'd been buying.

However, the new owner roasted the Colombian red Bourbon that I've just finished, and it was wonderful, so perhaps it's not a total disaster

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bad news for me on the coffee supply front.....my preferred source for buying Ethiopian coffee has been sold to a new owner. :(

I've recently received an email announcing the sale, which happened last December. The happy new owner promises to continue the good work of the former owner....of course he would say that! lol

The previous owner had a particular interest in Ethiopian coffee and that was obvious from what they had for sale. But since the beginning of the year I've noticed a shift in the offerings.....more coffees from Latin American sources and fewer of the Ethiopian coffees I'd been buying.

However, the new owner roasted the Colombian red Bourbon that I've just finished, and it was wonderful, so perhaps it's not a total disaster
My commiserations.

I would be pretty unhappy to learn that my sources for Ethiopian coffee were unable to offer a decent selection of this wonderful coffee.

Reactions: Macky-Mac

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south

Ethiopian coffees are my favorite! Colombian red bourbon does sound delicious!

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Can anyone explain the difference between a single walled portafilter basket and a dual walled basket? Is the single walled one the easier to use?

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
Can anyone explain the difference between a single walled portafilter basket and a dual walled basket? Is the single walled one the easier to use?

dual-walled baskets have a single tiny hole at the bottom for the brew to come out of. i'm pretty sure you're supposed to use regular drip-ground coffee in a dual walled basket. it's like an espresso cheat.

a single-walled basket is what you use for making espresso proper.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Check out these below:

Hmm, have you tried the double wall on the freshly roasted beans still?
I have, and prefer double

21b9253ac1bec526516fc74070074bc3.jpg

bf266715e3474e184669901ec499c18e.jpg

Not a long time ago @mtbdudex posted this one above.

This video explains too:

This webpage explains as well:
https://www.guide2coffee.com/guide-2-coffee-1/2012/06/23/pressurised-vs-non-pressurised-baskets

Last edited:

dockgaze

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2022
Okay, so as I journey forward on my coffee path (drip>French press>aeropress>moka pot>espresso), I have experienced exceedingly better coffee each step of the way as long as I take the time to ‘dial in,’ select good beans, etc. I’m currently at a budget setup point and pretty damn happy with the results from my Breville Bambino machine and Oxo burr grinder. But of course, I wonder . . . is there still a coffee joy trail ahead to traverse? Or have I reached the nadir of satisfaction, my ‘good enough great cup’? And here’s the real question: What exactly does more money buy you with an espresso machine? If my Bambino heats the water to the set temperature, uses a standard pressure pump (generic from Italy) to reach standard bar PSI, and uses a quality portafilter, what is the difference with a more expensive machine? I know the grind is essential, but why pay more if water pressure, temperature, and portafilter flow are standardized? I sense the rule of diminishing returns may apply here - the more money you spend, the smaller the noticeable return. I would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
Okay, so as I journey forward on my coffee path (drip>French press>aeropress>moka pot>espresso), I have experienced exceedingly better coffee each step of the way as long as I take the time to ‘dial in,’ select good beans, etc. I’m currently at a budget setup point and pretty damn happy with the results from my Breville Bambino machine and Oxo burr grinder. But of course, I wonder . . . is there still a coffee joy trail ahead to traverse? Or have I reached the nadir of satisfaction, my ‘good enough great cup’? And here’s the real question: What exactly does more money buy you with an espresso machine? If my Bambino heats the water to the set temperature, uses a standard pressure pump (generic from Italy) to reach standard bar PSI, and uses a quality portafilter, what is the difference with a more expensive machine? I know the grind is essential, but why pay more if water pressure, temperature, and portafilter flow are standardized? I sense the rule of diminishing returns may apply here - the more money you spend, the smaller the noticeable return. I would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

if the pressure is controlled properly in your machine then i think you're fine. however even the 920XL doesn't really have an actual OPV - it's more like a safety valve, so i assume your bambino is similar. i've modded my 920XL with a brass OPV which is a proper valve that can be adjusted. i've had to replace the pump 3 times now in 10 years. i assume that higher-end machines do not use vibratory pumps (instead using rotary pumps) and the pumps don't wear out quite as fast and are more accurate pressure-wise.

bigger breville machines have a dual-boiler setup with the steam being separate, which means you don't have to wait after pulling a shot to get the boiler back up to temp. the 920XL has a pre-infusion setting, which i'm not sure if the bambino has. personally once i went beyond the superautomatic machines, i stopped with the 920XL and have been happy.

oh, also the 920XL despite being advertised as "dual boiler" actually has 3 boilers, with a small one for the group head, to bring it up to temperature more quickly.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
if the pressure is controlled properly in your machine then i think you're fine. however even the 920XL doesn't really have an actual OPV - it's more like a safety valve, so i assume your bambino is similar. i've modded my 920XL with a brass OPV which is a proper valve that can be adjusted. i've had to replace the pump 3 times now in 10 years. i assume that higher-end machines do not use vibratory pumps (instead using rotary pumps) and the pumps don't wear out quite as fast and are more accurate pressure-wise.

bigger breville machines have a dual-boiler setup with the steam being separate, which means you don't have to wait after pulling a shot to get the boiler back up to temp. the 920XL has a pre-infusion setting, which i'm not sure if the bambino has. personally once i went beyond the superautomatic machines, i stopped with the 920XL and have been happy.

oh, also the 920XL despite being advertised as "dual boiler" actually has 3 boilers, with a small one for the group head, to bring it up to temperature more quickly.

What super automatic(s) did you have? Recent comments have me second-guessing my purchase of another Gaggia, but honestly, just not ready to do more work. Mastering a good froth should be enough, and I’m still working on my bean roasting skills as well. ;-p

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
What super automatic(s) did you have? Recent comments have me second-guessing my purchase of another Gaggia, but honestly, just not ready to do more work. Mastering a good froth should be enough, and I’m still working on my bean roasting skills as well. ;-p
I've had a lot of Siemens superautomatics over the years, and if/when I feel I would need a new superautomatic because of laziness I will go for one of those again. The desire for it comes and goes. in between I really love the wonderful espresso that my Sage/Breville do. You can't really compare them. Superautomatics do great coffee, but it's not espresso for real. But easiness counts too.

Right now, at tired days, I do only one shot espresso with me back to bed, and when I'm more awake I can take another single or double espresso to enjoy even more. I found that curiousity and the fun to experiment are very important when not having the ease of a superautomatic.

Reactions: ssledoux

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006

i had the saeco, can't remember the model number now. there's a whole bunch of machines that are based on the same mechanism (or there were, this was 15 years ago now). it could be the same as the gaggia, in fact.

Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
i had the saeco, can't remember the model number now. there's a whole bunch of machines that are based on the same mechanism (or there were, this was 15 years ago now). it could be the same as the gaggia, in fact.

I’ve had 2 Gaggia machines over the last 10-15 years. My current one works, but doesn’t have much in the way of options (I mainly got it because it was compact, and I don’t have a lot of counter space). I really want a separate doser for decaf, and I figured why not go with one that does more different types of espresso shots/drinks, and has a professional steam wand - hoping to get some really great froth.

I think they make a decent machine. I know it’s not gonna be like a pro, but if it tastes great (and obviously great coffee helps), I’m good.

My daughter is excited to get my current machine because she and her husband have to grind coffee almost every day for their regular coffee maker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.